Chapter 5

Broken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Taehyung?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Necklace?..Why are you...you're the..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"That guy...why is he here?" whisper Jin, still looking at Taehyung. "Now, the first stage will begin." yell the King. Both Jin and Taehyung shift their focus back towards the King," Since we don't have much time left before we meet up with the Xin's...we'll be getting rid of five people." "Already? Didn't we just start this Your Majesty?!" yell one of the men. The King smile,"Like I said..we don't have much time." He looks up at the clear, blue sky as the sun shine brightly down at everyone. "During battle, we have to face the hot and cold weather with not much food." He turn towards his men,"Don't feed them anything.." he then faces his people that were watching," Don't give them anything. You cannot leave your position starting from this moment. If you need to pee, then do it here...but the first five people that gives up will lose their chances for marriage with my daughter. Now then..." He leaves his seat having everyone bow to him before he left. "That's harsh, they don't get food or water...anything!" "My handsome men...I can't bear to watch them suffer..let's go." Everyone begin to leave after seeing the whole situation. Looking at the men in front of her, Yeon Hee felt upset that they would have to suffer like that. Standing up from her seat, she finally realizes Jin was in the crowd as well. His eyes wasn't in her direction, but she still gave him a bow before following her Father's steps. As she does, Jin's Father bumps into her,"Princess, where are you going?" "Oh..I haven't seen you in a while sir, I hope you're doing well. I was just about to go talk to Father about this-" "Don't. Your Father knows what he's doing..and he's right. If these men can't even handle something small like this, how can they go out and battle the Xin's?" "Sir..Your son is in this competition as well. Aren't you worry about him?" The Right Minister looks back at Jin,"He's a kid who can endure anything. Don't worry about him....Now, why don't you go back to your chambers Princess. It might be long until people start giving up."

 Outside the Palace, Yerim slowly made her way to the front of the crowd trying to find Taehyung. Next to her, she heard about the first stage of the competition. After learning that they would have to starve and stay in their position, her eyes scan for Taehyung quickly. When she found his backside, she lets out a deep sigh,"Hang in there. You must."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Five Years Ago

 

"Why won't you let me see them?! You got to see your parents..why can't I?!" cried Yerim. Taehyung stops her with all his strength,"STOP! There's nothing left now Yerim. Believe me, even if there were..I wouldn't show you-" She slaps him across the face, shutting him quiet. "I just want to see them one last time...there's no one now. Everyone's burned in that house...everyone is gone..dead-" Taehyung grabs her small shoulders and looked deep into her red, teary eyes," Yerim...I'm still here..I also lost my family as well...but at least we still have each other. So please..." "If only our parents didn't help that stupid village...I knew it was going to cause us troubles, but they never listen to me." Wiping her tears away,"The people in Hanseok's Village are people like us...I'm sure they just wanted to protect them. I know our parents would never take such risk like that unless they had to. So come on Yerim...that Village we have to help now. We can't just let our parent's deaths go to waste." He brings her closer for a tight hug,"Hang in there. You must." he said as his voice weaken and tears started flowing down his cheeks. "Cuz I don't think I can..." he thought.

 

 

 

 

Present

 

 

 

A few days and nights has already passed, and only three people had gave up. As night came, Jin still stay in his position with dry lips while Taehyung was sitting on the floor as his head began to fall back and forth due to tiredness. "GOD DAMN IT! I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!" one of the men yell after holding in his urine for so long. Taehyung woke up to the man's voice and chuckle at how the man ran off while yawning,"How weak." He turn his head forward and noticed Jin still staying strong and admire him secretly,"That's a tough fella...he's not even sitting down." His stomach growl and he wraps his arms around it in pain,"I can do this...I suffered more than this...come on Taehyung...you can go a few more...one of them is about to crack sooner or later." 

 

 

 

"Miss, what are you doing out here so late-" Sun Hee noticed Yeon Hee staring at the men still in their position. "Are you worry about them Miss? Don't worry, like the minister said..this is something simple compare to battle." "People need water in their body to survive a bit though." She looks at Jin and noticed his legs trembling, but his expression was still normal. "Why do I have to get marry just to help my people Sun Hee...why can't I just do it myself." "Miss, in this world we need connections and people to get things done...we can't do anything by ourselves. Don't worry, I'll be with you until the end of my life to help you with whatever you need." She smile at Sun Hee,"Really?" she nods back towards the Princess, when suddenly one final man crack and ran out of the Palace,"Forget this! I miss my Mother's short ribs!!!" When the man left, one guard came out and applaud the rest of the fifteen men,"Those of you still left...you may go into your rooms and rest. We'll begin our next stage and two days, so rest up until then." Everyone falls onto the floor in exhuastion and yell out in happiness,"Finally..." sigh Taehyung as he lay his head on the dirty floor.

 

 

 

Walking to their rooms, Jin was behind everyone as he tried walking normally with his tired legs."You don't have to be so perfect like that." He turn to the side and sees Taehyung walking beside him. "Mind your own business." "I saw you stood there all day and night these passed few days...if you're tired then just show it-" "I said...mind your own business...and also...what's your deal being here? I remember you from that day...Are you planning on something with the Princess? What family are you from?" Taehyung clears his throat and lean close to him,"I'm just doing what the rest of you are doing. Taking my chances with the Princess. So...why don't you MIND. YOUR. OWN. Business." he smile to Jin before following the crowd up ahead. "Why did that jerk have to be here...I have to be careful- AH!!" Startle by Sun Hee's sudden appearance, Taehyung let out a small scream when she covered his mouth,"Follow me idiot." 

 

 

 

 

Following Sun Hee closely, she guided him to Yeon Hee who was waiting in the yard that had the Cherry Blossoms tree. "Do you really want me to leave the two of you..ALONE?" Yeon Hee nods her head and she obey, leaving them alone. "When you said those things before about trying to stop it...is this what you meant neckl- I mean Princess." he ask. Noticing how horrible he look and smell, she felt terrible on the inside,"Why didn't you tell me you were the Princess? And...since you are the Princess...does that mean that was the Queen...Look, I'm sorry if I said anything rude about-" "No...no you didn't Taehyung. You were right. I think I really was just being stupid because he's my Father. I trusted and believed in him because...he's my Father...I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything about me being the Princess. I just wanted to see how the world was like and if my Father was telling the truth." "Well...was he?" She thought for a few seconds before replying,"He told me the world was happy and when people fought, it was because they wanted to be first in line for some delicious rice cake.." she chuckle at herself. "And that everyone was loving, trustworthy people that just got along.....We both saw how Hanseok's Village was like...it was in terrible shape." "Hearing you say those things...it's funny how you really believed in those lies-" "But...what my Father said about people being loving and trustworthy people...I believe that's true." The two of them look at each other,"Listen...I know since you're the Princess of this nation so you don't want to hear this, but that part is a lie. People are really different than what you can imagine...the mask they put on is...scary." "You're not like that." Taken aback by her words, Taehyung stood there in silence. "Sure we..didn't really get along right then when we met, but...you helped me...and so did Yerim. I saw how you were willing to help Hanseok's Village when..I couldn't. I believe you are those kind of people..loving and trustworthy."  "Listen, I-"  "And let me ask you this..why are you here? Don't tell me you seriously fell for me that quick out there."  He shakes his head,"No..no I didn't-"  "Then why are you here...to be the next King?" she ask. For some reason, Taehyung couldn't say anything out in front of her, his mouth stay glue shut. "Don't worry...I don't really have feelings for you like that as well. I'm only doing this so I can keep my promise with you about stopping those terrible people who did that to your family. But hey...if you win, at least I'll be ok since I know you." She pulls behind her a piece of jerky covered in cloth,"Have this. I feel terrible that you have to go through this so here." He looks down at the jerky she hands to him," You can't really get this anywhere you know. Rest well..and take a bath since you don't smell that great." she smile. "Th..thanks." Before leaving, she turns around one last time,"I'm happy to see you again. I'll be rooting for you..AS A FRIEND...don't misunderstand! Bye~" He waves back to her and held onto the jerky tightly in his hand,"..loving...trustworthy...me?" he whisper low to himself. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Skipping happily after seeing Taehyung, Yeon Hee goes off to find Sun Hee when she turns a corner and bumps into Jin, making him collapse onto the floor. "I'm so sor- Jin?! Are you okay?!!" She kneel down next to him trying to help his body up,"Yea-yeah...I'm.." he lets out before fully passing out onto her arms. "Hey..hey! You alright?!"

 

 

 

 

"Dr. Eunseo! Help me please!" yell Yeon Hee. The elderly man opens his door and see her dragging Jin's heavy body,"Princess! What happen! Are you hurt-" "Not me sir, but the minister's son is I think. Please help him."

 

 

 

 

 

After taking a nice bath Taehyung gets ready to put on fresh clothes when he finds a Bun cover in a note. He takes it out and realizes its from Yerim. "I know Palace food will be bette

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter