Chapter 1

Parallel Lines

Chapter 1

 

“Yoongi!” Bae Sumi calls out joyfully, waving down the frowning boy passing through the school gates. His unhappy frown transforms into a cheeky grin as he rushes over to her, his backpack bouncing cheerfully.

“Sumi,” He immediately wraps his fingers around her hand, pulling it up to his mouth for a small kiss, “How was your day?”

“Well, I spent the day with you, so it was amazing,” She giggles as he returns her hand to her side, entwining their fingers tightly.

“Ah, you’re so cute,” Yoongi coos cutely, ignoring the cringing faces around him. He wasn’t always like this. When he started High school, he was disgusted by anything cute or cheesy. But that was before he met Sumi - before he fell in love for the first time.

“Well, when I wasn’t with you it was boring,” Sumi sighs, “School is too boring for me,”

Yoongi shakes his head as they begin slowly walking down the path away from the school.

“You seem to enjoy Korean and English class,” Yoongi smirks. Sumi pouts cutely, wiggling her shoulders like a child having a mild tantrum.

“Korean is different! I love writing and making stories,” Her face lights up as she recalls her favourite class, “It’s math that really ruins the whole experience,”

Yoongi chuckles as they begin swinging their arms side-by-side.

“I like math sometimes,” Yoongi peers down at Sumi, raising his eyebrows, “I get to see you in Math,”

Sumi rolls her eyes before playfully smacking his arm lightly, trying not to giggle.

“I thought you hated cheesy things, huh?” Sumi smirks as Yoongi’s smile slips from his face.

“Shut up,” He snaps, trying not to grin as Sumi bursts into fits of giggles again.

“I never expected this cold boy to be so cheesy,” Sumi points out, recalling their first encounter.

 

 

 

“Yah!” Sumi yelled as a boy shoved past her in the hallway, “Watch where you are going!”

The boy turned and snickered as his friends cackled beside him.

He opened his mouth to retort, probably to say she was so short he didn’t see her, or that kids aren’t allowed in High school yet, but he didn’t get to finish. His eyes widened as he spotted a boy standing behind her, glaring over her shoulder at the kid.

“Apologize,” The boy murmured, bringing his presence to Sumi’s attention as she looked over her shoulder. The boy stuttered a quick apology before rushing off, followed by his friends.

Sumi turned to tell the guy that she could handle herself, but the words never came out. The attractive boy looked down at her and smirked.

“Be careful,” He muttered, patting her gently on the head. Normally she would have snapped at anyone who dared touch her head. But instead, she felt tingles running down her neck and down her spine.

Who is this guy?

 

 

 

“Why would you bring that up?” Yoongi huffs, blowing his fringe from his face.

“Because you always act so embarrassed,” Sumi admits, “You don’t get embarrassed easily, it’s funny,”

Yoongi rolls his eyes, choosing not to respond.

At the time, Yoongi appeared cool and assertive, but now Sumi knows him very well. She later learnt his heart was beating just as fast as her own at the time. Sumi thinks it was because their hearts were already one, but Yoongi thinks that’s too cringy for his taste.

 

Sumi continues to talk animatedly about the book they have to read for class (“They really had to choose such a poorly written book!”) as they make their way towards their usual afterschool destination; the ice cream shop.

 

Min Yoongi is a very complicated mash of personalities. He has straight black hair draped over his forehead, tickling his eyelashes. He has an adorable gummy grin, but that is where the cuteness ends. When he is not smiling, he has a cold look about him, like a delinquent. His eyes are narrowed and sharp, making him appear cold and unapproachable. But when he smiles, his face lights up like Christmas lights. This, Sumi always says, is why she loves him. Adorable and serious? How can she not love him?

 

Min Yoongi glances down at his bubbly girlfriend.

 

Bae Sumi is exactly like Min Yoongi in many ways. Her eyes are cold and unforgiving pits of darkness that swallow Yoongi up when he needs somewhere to escape. She has long chocolate hair that flows around her like flower petals in the wind. Her smile can melt the coldest of hearts, warming every crevice of any room. She is charismatic and tiny, quite a few inches shorter than him. Some call her feisty, but Yoongi loves her personality.

 

Sumi and Yoongi are in their last year of High school, preparing to head out into the adult world. They started dating a year ago, just before they started senior schooling.

 

Sumi finishes her rant about the book with a loud laugh. Yoongi nods along, smirking slightly as he listens. She beams to herself as they turn down the road that leads to the ice cream shop. From the corner, they can already see their friends: Kim Namjoon, Jung Hoseok, and Kim Jennie.

 

Kim Namjoon is tall, handsome, and smart. He has dark voluminous hair, that he styles swept back, and gorgeous brown eyes. He is top of most of his classes at school, except for Korean – Sumi is the best and writing and reading. He is silent yet wise. He isn’t very loud, but when he speaks everyone listens.

Jung Hoseok is everyone’s favourite person. His dark brown hair falls wherever it pleases, making him appear messy in an attractive way. He is chipper, bubbly, and adorable. He isn’t the top of the class, but he isn’t failing. He is average academically, and he has many hobbies he enjoys. More importantly, his charisma and cheerfulness make everyone feel at ease.

Kim Jennie is Sumi’s long-time friend. They have been friends since primary school. She is very popular with the boys at school, which used to make Sumi jealous – before she met Yoongi of course. Jennie’s long hair curls naturally, giving her a very beautiful ‘just styled’ look about her. Her big brown eyes scream innocence, but her cheeky smirk whispers mischievously. She strives to be a doctor so she can take over her father’s family medical practice. Jennie is much like Sumi – very feisty but cute at the same time. Sumi and Jennie make the perfect pair.

 

“Hey!” Jennie yells, jumping up and down as she spots Sumi and Yoongi.

“Finally!” Hoseok groans with exaggeration as Sumi and Yoongi finally reach them, “Did you guys stop by the kissing tree or something?”

“No,” Yoongi frowns, causing everyone to burst out laughing.

“Let’s get some ice cream,” Namjoon chuckles as everyone cheers and follows him inside.

They each get their favorite ice cream - Yoongi insisting on buying Sumi’s ice-cream - and eat outside at their favourite table.

 

They talk and chat amongst themselves about various things, as normal teenagers would. But, just like normal teenagers, everything on the surface is not as it seems.

Jennie and Sumi talk about organizing a weekend out (“We should all go to the beach together!”).  Whilst Namjoon and Yoongi talk about their favourite rap artists. Hoseok sits between them, listening here and there, but mostly just eating his ice-cream happily.

 

After an hour or so, they decide to head home. They stand up and head to the corner of the street, ready to part ways.

“I have so much homework!” Hoseok pouts, looking at Namjoon instinctively.

“I’ll text you an example for that question you were having a problem with,” Namjoon says without looking at him, smirking slightly.

“Thanks, Namjoon,” Hoseok pats his back happily. Namjoon just rolls his eyes, trying not to laugh at Hoseok.

“I have a lot of studying to do too,” Jennie sighs, “Why did I take those extra classes?”

“Because you have a lot of ambition,” Sumi replies sarcastically as Jennie nudges her in the ribs.

“Careful,” Yoongi mutters, pulling Sumi to his side.

“Eww,” Jennie shivers, “You guys are gross, I’m out of here,” She turns and waves, heading in the direction of the school.

“Well, see you guys later,” Namjoon smiles, nudging Hoseok so he follows him.

“Bye!” Hoseok beams, following Namjoon down another street.

Yoongi sighs before turning to Sumi.

“Ready?” he asks, holding his elbow out for her to hold. She takes his arm as they move up the street, opposite the direction Jennie is moving.

 

They walk slowly, not wanting the moment to end. Sumi looks up at her boyfriend happily. She has a wonderful life. A happy family, enough friends, a beautiful relationship. Everything is perfect.

What could go wrong?

 

“Here you are,” Yoongi smiles sadly, looking down at Sumi like he always does when they have to part.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Sumi asks, pouting a little.

“Of course,” Yoongi smirks, placing his hands on her waist. He gently pulls her against him. Sumi gasps, recognizing that familiar look in his eye.

“Y-Yoongi,” Sumi stutters, looking down at her hands on his chest. Yoongi ignores her, leaning in closer so his nose brushes against her cheek. Sumi looks up, trying not to act embarrassed.

Sumi and Yoongi have kissed many times, but for some reason, Sumi is easily embarrassed when it comes to intimacy. So, Yoongi saves all of his kisses for important moments, but occasionally he likes to .

“Sumi,” Yoongi mumbles gruffly, “You’re such a tease,”

“Y-Y-Yah!” Sumi blubbers, looking around her briefly, “What if my dad hears? Or sees?”

Sumi begins pushing on his chest, but he holds her tight, moving his lips to her forehead. He gently places his lips there, smiling serenely.  

Sumi gasps as Yoongi suddenly let her go, stepping back.

“I’ll text you later,” He smiles, his eyes bright with mirth as he turns and walks away. Sumi waits for him to turn the corner before heading inside, feeling a little flustered.

 

“Hey, mum! Hey dad!” Sumi calls out, smiling at her silent parents. They mutter a hello, accept a kiss each from Sumi. She rolls her eyes as she watches their hunched forms huddled over their phones before heading upstairs. As she enters her room she flops onto her bed, beaming. It can’t get any better than this.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi arrives, silently entering his home. His parents look up at him and smile.

“Hey bub, how was school?” His mother chirps, standing up so she can hug him.

“Just the usual,” Yoongi smiles slightly, “What’s for dinner?”

“Just leftovers from work,” She sighs, “I didn’t want to come home and cook again,”

“Fair enough,” Yoongi walks over to the kitchen, taking one of the containers sitting on the counter, still warm from the restaurant.

“Got any homework today?” His father calls from the lounge room, his eyes fixated on the TV.

“A little bit,” Yoongi smirks, knowing exactly what he is going to say.

“Alright, get that done before you work on any music stuff,”

“I know, dad,” Yoongi walks past the lounge room, pausing to pat his father on the shoulder. His father chuckles in return.

Yoongi heads upstairs and into his bedroom. He places his dinner on his desk and shoves his bag beside it. He sighs, looking out the window in front of him.

His eyes are glassy, and his mind is blank as if it has given up on processing any more information or useless thoughts.

Pointless thoughts… Pointless.

 

Yoongi takes a bite of the rice before falling onto his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling.

Every night he stares at the ceiling and thinks about his life and his dreams. His ambitions and desires, but they never work together, only separately. All these puzzle pieces are different sizes and shapes that don’t fit into each other. To build the picture he wants he’ll have to cut away at some of the pieces. But if he does that, the picture won’t be complete. He wants the full picture with every detail, Is that selfish? But he can’t figure out a way to keep each piece.

The only thing he can think of is cutting one big thing, instead of small chips here and there. But does he have the guts to cut something important to him from his life? Doesn’t he deserve the full picture he desires?

 

Thoughts running wild in his head, Yoongi closes his eyes briefly, thinking of one thing and one thing only: Sumi.