strangers

turning tables

yongsun knocks on the door, hoping that this was the correct place. well, it would be, if she still lived here. yongsun looks around, nostalgia settling in. she hasn’t been in this neighbourhood since two years ago. some things would never change, but she could only hope the woman she was looking for was still the same. 

the same brown-haired woman opens the door. she looked the same, maybe a little more tired than the last time yongsun had seen her. but her eyes, it was her eyes that made yongsun believe she wasn’t the byulyi she had once known. her eyes were not sparkling like they once were, the same brown eyes that yongsun adored so much, they were lifeless. dead. this was how byulyi had slowly given up. she’s lost the fight within her, the battle to live. she’s gone, so far gone that yongsun doesn’t know if she can be saved anymore. 

“byul? c-can we talk?” 

“i was wondering when you would show up. come on in, then.” she sounded so...empty. like she had lost all hope. 

“look, about two years ago. i’m sorry. i’m so sorry i ever did that. i have no excuse for it, i was just always so frustrated and angry all the time. to this day i still don’t know why i did the things i did, but i know they will always be a part of me and i live like that. i live bearing the consequences of my actions, bearing the guilt of what i did...to you. i don’t ask for you to forgive me, you can hate me, and that’s totally fine. i just- i’m just so sorry, byul.” 

“cut the crap, yongsun. why are you here? really?” byulyi says, her words stinging yongsun like poison. 

“i know you sent someone to hunt me,” yongsun starts. 

“i also know she didn’t hunt you, and instead fell for your plan to charm her out of hunting you.” 

“i-“ yongsun blinks in shock. “i did not plan to charm her out of hunting me, byulyi. if that’s the kind of person you think i am, then you’re very wrong.” 

“but that’s exactly the type of person you are, yongsun. at least, that’s what you did that made me think you’re that type of person,” byulyi can feel the emotions in her stirring, all the anger she’s harboured towards yongsun all these years. “you hurt me. you left all these scars on me. you made me like this. you made me the heartless, hopeless person i am today. this is all because of you, yongsun. and don’t you forget it. and soon, you’ll be the cause of wheein’s sadness, too. wouldn’t you love that? your precious little puppy, looking all sad and crying because of you? she’s my friend, and i would hate to see her cry over someone like you, but you’re the bane of my existence. i hated you so much, yongsun. after what you did to me, i was so hurt that you actually hit me. i hated you so damn much, but at the same time i loved you. can you believe it? i still loved you despite what you did, despite all the blood and scars you left on my body, and in my heart. i was a fool for loving you. you never did love me, after all.” byulyi scoffs. 

“byul, i-“ 

“i did love you. i loved you, i always will love you. whether you like it or not, a part of my life has been spent with you, and i can’t just pretend that everything that happened between us never happened, because it did. and guess what? whatever that happened when we were together? it made me love you. so much i thought i would never be able to lay a finger on you. you were the one who was there for me when i was at my worst. you were there when i was getting better. and you were there till the end, even when i hurt you, when i threw you against the wall so hard it left a dent in it. you just let me hurt you, like you didn’t care anymore. why, byul? why?” 

“because when you hurt me, i was already gone. don’t you see it, yongsun? while you were getting better when i was by your side, i was getting worse. i loved you, but we could never last together. admit it, a vampire and a vampire hunter, together? in love? that’s a match made in hell. so i left. but i loved you too much to leave you just like that, so i let you hurt me. hoping it would take some of your pain away. i lied earlier. it wasn’t you who made me like this, nor is it myself. it was our love, it ruined us. made us who we are today. you’ve gotten better. i’ve gotten worse. this is how our story ends. it makes sense, seeing as how you were always the kind, patient one.” byulyi sees the guilt in yongsun’s eyes, sees her on the verge of tears. even after all these years, she still hasn’t changed that much. she still cried just as easily, like how she would cry when they watched a show and someone died. byulyi used to think it was cute. now she thinks it’s a weakness. 

“just leave, yongsun. please. i don’t know why you came here, but this isn’t a good time to talk about whatever it is you wanted to talk about. come back in a few weeks, or months, or don’t at all. whatever. i’ll spare your life until then. but if you run, i’ll always find a way to track you down. good day, yongsun.” with that, byulyi gently pushes her out of the house and closes the door behind her. she slides down, her back against the door. with every breath that she takes, her shoulders rise and fall. 

byulyi thought she was ready. ready to face yongsun again after two years. who was she kidding? yongsun, the yongsun who had hurt her so badly, who had left such a deep cut in her heart. she thought she was strong. yongsun was stronger. every memory byulyi had hidden deep in her mind resurfaces, now she only remembers how they had been so happy together. how they had loved. how they are no longer the people they used to be. 

 

they’re both strangers now. 

 

it’s funny, how two people could go from lovers to strangers in such a short time. 

 

 

 

A/N: surprisee i wrote this in one night yay :D this chapter is more of a filler chapter, but i promise we’re getting there soon! in the meantime, thank you for reading hehe it means a lot to me <33