engraved

turning tables

byulyi knows. she knows wheein has been lying to her. she knows wheein has seen yongsun before, but told byulyi that she hasn’t been able to hunt down yongsun. byulyi isn’t very surprised, honestly. that was the effect that yongsun had on everyone. her charms always managed to get her what she wanted. maybe sending wheein to hunt her down wasn’t the best idea. she had thought that wheein was capable enough of hunting down yongsun, but she has been proven wrong. the only question byulyi has is why wheein had lied to her. either she’s so smitten with yongsun that the vampire had convinced her to lie to byulyi, or...  actually, that was the only reason byulyi could think of. 

byulyi can’t help but feel a tinge of disappointment towards her friend. she had hoped wheein was mature enough to handle yongsun, but wheein was, in fact, just a child to her. 

 

 

—————

 

 

“wheein, what does your boss look like?” 

“well...she’s not really my boss, she’s more of a friend. but she pays me for hunting vampires, so i guess she’s my employer, kind of?” wheein starts to ramble. 

“woah, woah! slow down, wheein. i just asked what she looked like,” yongsun puts a hand on wheein’s thigh. 

“right. sorry, i don’t talk about her much, it’s not a topic i usually bring up,” wheein says sheepishly. “let’s see...she’s pretty, very very pretty. if she wasn’t one of my best friends i probably would’ve liked to go out with her. she has long, wavy brown hair. that’s pretty much it, i can’t think of any other way to describe her.” 

“i see...what’s her name, if you’re allowed to say? if you’re not supposed to say it, that’s okay too. i’m just curious. she sounds like a very scary woman.” 

“ah...well...she goes by moonbyul, you’ve probably never heard of her anyways. she’s not very...open about this whole vampire hunting business.” 

“m-moonbyul?” yongsun stutters, her eyes wide. luckily, wheein doesn’t see the panic in her eyes. “t-that’s your boss’s name?” 

“that’s not her real name, but yes, that’s what most people know her as,” wheein looks up at yongsun, her head still on the older’s shoulder. “why do you sound so surprised? do you know her?” 

“ah- n-no, i’ve never heard of her. just...sounded familiar for a second, but nope.” yongsun lies, not very smoothly. thank god for her quick thinking. wheein hums softly and nods, not thinking much about yongsun’s reaction. she wraps her arms around yongsun’s waist, cuddling into her side even more, burying her face into the crook of yongsun’s neck. she leaves innocent pecks on the older’s neck, glancing up to see yongsun’s reaction. when she is greeted with yongsun blanking out instead, wheein pouts childishly, a whine making its way out of . 

“unnieee...” yongsun stares blankly at the television. “hello??” wheein sits up straight, eyes narrowing. “earth to kim yongsun??” she waves a hand in front of yongsun’s face. 

“what? did you say something?” yongsun snaps back to reality, only to find wheein looking at her with a pout. 

“are you okay? i called you like three times before you responded,” the younger puts a hand on yongsun’s forehead, worried that she may have caught a cold, all traces of frustration gone when she sees yongsun’s bloodshot eyes. “you must be tired from spending all your time looking after me,” wheein says, suddenly feeling even more guilty for making yongsun worry about her. she stands up, dragging a confused yongsun with her to her bedroom. “here, you can sleep on my bed. you need to rest, unnie. i can’t cuddle with you if you’re sick.” wheein flashes her a quick smile, already tugging the covers over yongsun. 

“i-i’m not sick, wheeinie. i just have a lot on my mind recently,” yongsun chuckles at the younger’s worry. she finds it so adorable and endearing that wheein is so worried about her. “you can still cuddle with me.” yongsun pats the empty space next to her on the bed, which wheein gladly slips in next to her. 

“do you wanna talk about it?” wheein asks, making herself comfortable by leaning into yongsun’s side. the older’s arm wraps around her shoulder almost instinctively, as if she were protecting wheein. 

“trust me, i would tell you if i could. but you probably wouldn’t understand anyways.” yongsun sighs heavily, kissing the top of wheein’s head. 

“what wouldn’t i understand?” 

“just...nothing. i’ll tell you about it when the time is right,” 

“okay. i’ll wait until you’re ready to tell me. i’ll wait for you, always.” wheein says softly, her words muffled by yongsun’s clothes. 

even though it’s just five words, yongsun’s heart warms instantly at wheein’s words. 

 

i’ll wait for you, always. 

 

the innocence of wheein’s words. 

always. 

that was a lie. wheein could wait, but never for long. no one could. everyone’s patience runs out at some point of time. but yongsun allowed herself to believe those words. those beautiful words that wheein spoke, she allowed herself to be entranced by them, even if she knows they’re not true. she believed in them like wheein’s words were the only thing keeping her sane. maybe they were. 

yongsun gulps, her face paling at the thought of being brought to byulyi, the thought of her being killed by byulyi. the byulyi she had once loved, still loves. the byulyi she knew would never kill anyone. she was kind, sweet and caring to everyone, especially to yongsun. how could a person like her be so hell-bent on hunting yongsun and wanting to kill her? but then again, yongsun never thought she would kill anyone either, until she did. she can’t help but think, what if she hasn’t changed at all? what if she’s only acting like this so wheein won’t hate her for the real her? what if the darkness inside her is still there? 

it scares yongsun, how much power she has with her vampire abilities. she’s scared of herself, because what if one day she can’t keep everything in anymore? what if she hurts wheein? would she be able to live knowing she’s hurt two people she’s cared for the most in her two hundred years? wheein had slowly dug her way into yongsun’s heart without her noticing, and she was engraved in yongsun’s heart, her existence now a part yongsun’s memories forever. this angel beside her, was something yongsun knew she wouldn’t forget, no matter how many centuries she lived. wheein was a rare gem, so precious that sometimes yongsun herself couldn’t believe she was hers. 

“wheein-ah,” 

“if some day you wake up and i’m gone and you can’t find me,” yongsun says softly. “please don’t worry about me. don’t bother finding me, because i would’ve left for a reason. and it would be a good reason. please know that i would never, ever leave you, not without a good reason to. don’t bother waiting for me, either. if i ever leave you, i’ll probably never return. forget about me and move on, find someone who will make you happier than i ever made you, someone who will bring the sunshine into your life just like you did to mine. and i know this sounds like a goodbye, but i swear it’s not.” wheein listens silently, her breathing shallow. why is yongsun telling her this now? she said it’s not a goodbye, but why does it feel like it is? unconsciously, wheein tightens her grip around yongsun’s waist, pulling her as close as possible. maybe it’s selfish of her, but can you blame her? wheein has led her whole life losing so many people she holds dear to her heart, it was only natural that she would hold on to yongsun as tight as she possibly could. she couldn’t lose another person she loves. she doesn’t know if she will survive it. 

 

so she hopes, something she hasn’t done in a long time. she hopes that yongsun doesn’t leave her, that she will stay by her side as long as she loves her. she hopes that yongsun will, someday, love her too. and that she will never let go.