cherry red lips

turning tables

it’s been a month since wheein first made that deal with yongsun. she lies again and again to byulyi, telling her she’s never able to track down this kim yongsun vampire. when in fact, yongsun is right next to her, talking to her like this wasn’t part of the deal they made. wheein’s smile falters, guilt settling in that she lied to byulyi. byulyi, her boss and her friend. and someone that she has definitely known for a longer time than yongsun. yet, she can never seem to find it in herself to turn yongsun in. kim yongsun, a vampire that is wanted for kidnapping and murder, among many other things. and wheein is in love with her. 

is this the kind of person she has become? someone that loves a murderer? 

“wheein?” yongsun is waving a hand in front of her face. 

“unniewhyareyouwantedformurder?” wheein lets the words slip out of before she can stop them. realising what she has just said out loud, her eyes widen in fear, slapping her hand over as if that could turn back time and take back all the words she said. she’s going to kill me now, isn’t she? , jung wheein, you ! why would you say that out loud?! wheein slaps herself mentally. “uh-uh-i mean-“ she gulps nervously, her eyes blinking rapidly. yongsun sighs softly, looking down at her hands. 

“i guess i should’ve expected this. after all, you were supposed to hunt me down,” 

“y-you’re not angry?” 

“no. i’m afraid,” 

“b-but why? i thought you were going to k-kill me,” 

“because i don’t want you to see me differently after i tell you. because i was young and foolish, i wasn’t the person i am today. i would never kill you, wheein. i haven’t hurt a single human since...” yongsun closes her eyes, pushing the bad memories away. she inhales deeply, then she starts to tell wheein her story. 

 

red. everything was red, the noise in her mind was so loud, the blood rushing past her ears. she couldn’t hear anything, couldn’t see anything except the woman in front of her, which her messed up brain was telling her to kill. she couldn’t feel anything apart from rage. so much anger and rage. she feels tears start to fall from her eyes, but she knows enough to know that those tears don’t mean anything. she’s cried too many times that these tears mean nothing to her. all she knew in that moment was to hurt. 

“you-“ she punches the woman, her fist colliding solidly with the soft skin on her cheek. “liar-“ her other arm lashes out, already forming a bruise on the woman’s other cheek. “how-“ she grabs the woman by her shoulders. “could-“ shaking the woman vigorously, she feels her energy draining but she doesn’t care. “you!” she shoves the woman back, hard and fast with all her remaining energy. the brown-haired woman crashes into the wall, leaving a dent in the wall. she lets yongsun continue to hurt her with half-hearted slaps on her arm, tears streaming down her perfect face. 

 

moon byulyi watches with no emotion as kim yongsun hurts her repeatedly. she stares at the woman she once loved, her face void of emotion, her jaw clenched tight, her hands curled into tight fists. yongsun is kneeling on the floor, too hurt to do anything else. byulyi sees the tears in her eyes even though her head is hung low, she sees the hurt yongsun feels. she feels the pain yongsun feels. but she doesn’t help her up. byulyi stalks away from yongsun, even though every part of her body aches from what yongsun had done to her. a normal person probably wouldn’t have survived this beating, but byulyi was stronger than most. maybe even stronger than yongsun. byulyi leaves yongsun, a wreck on the floor, the broken pieces of glass from yongsun’s attacks surrounding her. she walks away and doesn’t look back, even though with every step she takes she feels herself slowly being torn into a million pieces. 

she loved her. she still does, maybe. but she can’t stay. not when yongsun is a vampire and she is a vampire hunter. they’re bound to be separated sooner or later. byulyi figures it’s best that she stops loving yongsun now before it’s too late. 

 

and two years later, yongsun is changed. before byulyi, she had done many other things. bad things she never wanted to think or talk about ever again. 

she killed someone. she kidnapped a vampire hunter because she hated them to the core. she tortured the poor vampire hunter until he was almost dead. she bit a human. she did so many things, and she still doesn’t know why she did them. 

yongsun only remembers the rage that once used to consume her completely, leaving her senseless and seemingly unable to control herself from causing hurt to someone she hated. 

 

but she didn’t hate byulyi. 

 

no, she loved her. she loved her so much, for so long. and yet byulyi walked away from her after her outburst, looking like she was fine on the outside, but yongsun only realised afterwards how much pain she must’ve caused her. yongsun regrets everything to this day. she’s trying so hard to be a better person, to help everyone as much as she can, but she knows it’ll never be enough to cover up for her past mistakes. 

 

and wheein would’ve been surprised and shocked that byulyi was once yongsun’s lover. except yongsun never once mentioned byulyi’s name. she referred to her as “she”. yongsun was not ready to tell wheein everything. it was selfish of her, considering wheein had already bared her emotions to her, but just the thought of saying byulyi’s name again brings her to tears, and she doesn’t want to cry in front of wheein. especially not when she is this vulnerable and weak, when she needs someone to care for her and support her. 

“so you’ve never hurt anyone since you hurt her?” 

“no, i still feel guilty for everything,” yongsun casts her eyes down, ashamed. “i know what you’re thinking. i’m a murderer, i’m possibly the worst and most dangerous vampire you’ve ever met, and i’m your professor but how could i have done these things, right?” 

“unnie,” wheein takes her hands in her own. “that’s what i used to think. i thought you were a heartless, evil vampire. one that didn’t care about who you killed or hurt,” she brings yongsun’s hand up to her lips and brushes a chaste kiss on her hand. “but i know you now. you might be a vampire, but i know you’re not heartless or evil, and you definitely care about whatever wrongs you’ve done in the past. and that’s enough. you’re changed now, and that’s all i need to know. i still see you as the same person, you’re no different in my eyes. you’re still the most kind-hearted, nicest person i’ve met, and nothing will change that, okay?” wheein grasps yongsun’s hand in both of her own. “nothing,” she offers yongsun an encouraging smile, hoping that everything she wants to tell her reaches her. 

she hopes yongsun sees her as someone she can trust, someone she can go to when she needs help. she hopes yongsun understands all the words that never made it out of but was instead directed in her longing gazes at yongsun. she hopes that yongsun doesn’t see her as just a kid who’s playing around, because wheein knows it’s so much more than that. she doesn’t know what love is, nor does she know what to expect from it. but she knows she’s happy when she’s with yongsun, that yongsun makes her feel indescribable feelings she’s never felt before. she doesn’t know how she knows, but she knows one thing for sure ; she’s in love with kim yongsun. 

 

and she won’t stop falling in love with her. 

 

she can’t. 

 

“wheein-ah,” yongsun calls softly. 

“hmm?” the younger looks up, eyes lighting up at the sound of yongsun’s voice calling her name. 

“do you...like me?” wheein is startled by the sudden question. 

“why the sudden curiosity?” she answers yongsun’s question with one of her own. 

“i mean-“ the older stutters. “i was just- wondering...i-if you don’t then never mind! it’s nothing, i shouldn’t have asked that i’m sorry,” yongsun stumbles through her words in one quick breath. she feels her face redden and ducks her head down before the other can see how embarrassed she is. 

then soft fingertips touch her chin and slowly lifts her head slightly. before she knows it, wheein’s face is only a few inches away from hers, the younger’s face angled upwards, her striking gaze causing yongsun to look down. unfortunately, being the fool that she was, her gaze landed right on wheein’s lips. 

and god did they look beautiful. 

those cherry red lips, the ones that make yongsun feel things she didn’t know she could feel. those lips that yongsun has been staring at for the past few weeks. wheein leans in even closer, until yongsun can feel her warm breath tickling her skin, sending chills up her spine. 

their lips touch. and it’s magical. 

wheein’s lips are so incredibly soft, so tender and perfect. they feel exactly like what yongsun had thought they would feel like, and so much more. yongsun doesn’t think it can get any better than this. then wheein’s fingers caress her cheek, her other hand moving to the back of yongsun’s neck. her tongue leaves a hot trail on yongsun’s lips as it slips past her lips and into . as wheein’s tongue continues exploring yongsun’s mouth, her hand tightens its grip behind yongsun’s neck. 

finally, they pull away, breathless and lips swollen. 

“did that answer your question?” wheein grins playfully, her arms still wrapped around yongsun’s neck. the older stares blankly at wheein, unable to answer. wheein kissed her? did she really kiss her? was it all yongsun’s imagination? but the pair of slender arms wrapped around her neck and shoulders said differently. 

“why did you think to ask me that in the first place?” wheein questions, her arms untangling from yongsun and letting her head rest on yongsun’s shoulders. 

“did you just kiss me?” yongsun is very late to the conversation, only now processing that wheein’s head is on her shoulder. “oh my god you kissed me? why did you kiss me? wha-“ her sentence is interrupted by a peck on her lips, shushing her immediately. 

“yes, i kissed you. because you asked if i liked you. that was my answer,” 

“...so you do like me?” 

“yes, unnie. i like you very much. is that what you wanted to hear?” wheein sighs dramatically. yongsun doesn’t know that not only does wheein like her a lot, she loves her. but it’s too early to tell yongsun that, wheein decides. “now will you please answer my question?” 

“what questio-“ yongsun hates her brain for having a breakdown right at this moment. “OH!” she exclaims, maybe a little too loudly that she feels wheein wince in pain beside her. “oh.” she says, much softer. “oops, sorry.” she apologises sheepishly. “well. i mean, i’ve seen the way you look at me. don’t think i haven’t noticed how your stare always lingers on me even after i turn away. i can feel these things, you know,” yongsun raises an eyebrow at wheein, whose face is already red. “and the intensity of your gaze, it’s different,” 

“different how?” wheein is already embarrassed, but she really wants to know. has she been that obvious about liking yongsun? 

“when you look at other people, like your friends, your eyes are softer, more innocent and light-hearted. but when you look at me, it’s heavier and more intense. and sometimes sad, too. like you’re watching someone you admire from afar but you’re unable to get close to them because there’s something holding you back,” yongsun glances down to see wheein looking up at her in what can only be called affection and admiration. 

“it always amazed me how you’re so good with words. yet you can’t seem to use them whenever i kiss you,” the younger teases. 

“hey! i can speak, okay? i was just in shock! you kissed me out of nowhere, what did you-“ she’s cut off again by wheein’s lips on hers, and yongsun finds herself rendered speechless once again. 

“wanna say that again, unnie?” wheein’s husky voice echoes through the room. somewhere along the way, the television had been turned off and they were left sitting in silence in wheein’s living room. 

“jung wheein...you’re so unpredictable,” yongsun shakes her head, a small smile stuck on her face even though she knows she looks like a fool, smiling at nothing apart from wheein’s presence beside her. 

“i aim to please,” is the answer she gets as she feels wheein snuggle closer to her. 

“wheein?” 

“yes, unnie?” 

“i never mentioned anything about liking you back,” yongsun expects a big reaction from her, but what she gets is the opposite instead. 

“it’s pretty obvious, though. you’re as whipped for me as i am for you. don’t tell me i’m wrong, ‘cause i know i’m right,” wheein smirks against yongsun’s shoulder, wishing the older would just put her arm around her now. her prayers are answered only a second later, when yongsun lifts her arm to wrap it around wheein’s small frame and pulls her closer. 

“are you gonna quit your job as our professor?” 

“hmm? why would i?” 

“i don’t know, maybe ‘cause i’m your student and we’re way past the student-teacher relationship?” 

“i do need to earn a living, you know that, right?” yongsun chuckles lightly. but what wheein said wasn’t wrong, either. if anyone else in the school knew about this, whatever this was, both of them would get into trouble. 

“but what if people find out?” wheein mumbles, a sigh escaping her lips. “we shouldn’t even be doing this. what are we doing? this is wrong in so many ways! maybe we should stop, what was i thinking? i should never have kissed you, should i? i-“ wheein starts rambling, getting more worried the more she thinks about it. she starts to doubt herself, it was so stupid of her to kiss yongsun. she should’ve just told her she didn’t like her! what was so hard about denying the fact that she liked yongsun? 

she realises then, that she couldn’t do it because she doesn’t want to hurt yongsun. seeing the happiness in yongsun’s eyes when wheein told her she liked her, it was something she would never trade for anything in the world. 

“shhhh...” yongsun holds wheein up by her shoulders. “wheein-ah, don’t worry so much, alright? look, i’ll quit my job if you’re scared that people will find out. just please, don’t ever think that this was a mistake. it’s the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time. you’ve made me happier in these past few weeks than i’ve ever been for the past few years combined.” yongsun has never been very good at expressing herself, she can only hope wheein understands. she wants this to last forever, but she’s not sure if there is a forever. maybe for yongsun, there is. she could live for centuries to come, but wheein? wheein is just a human, like every other normal person on this planet. sure, maybe she’s more skilled in certain areas at hunting vampires, but that didn’t make her immortal. she would eventually be gone, just like any other person yongsun has ever cared about. 

it’s all so unfair. how she gets to live for thousands of years, while she watches helplessly as everyone else around her disappears from her life. and over time, wheein will just be another one of them. 

 

“treasure this, wheein-ah.” yongsun advices. 

 

because it’ll be gone in a flash. but yongsun doesn’t tell wheein that. 

 

 

 

A/N: hihi just a short little author’s note to clarify some things so a) yong doesn’t know byul is wheein’s boss and b) vampire hunters only hunt vampires who’ve committed crimes like murder, etc :) hope this clears up some stuff! thank you so much for reading, subscribing and upvoting this fic ^^ and thank you for commenting hehe your comments really make my day and help me improve!! i’ll do my best to update frequently and i love each and every single one of you!! <33