Newcomer

HERSHE
It was Thursday, 7:57 am. A woman was hurrying to get into the elevator before the doors close. Good thing there was a guy who looked back and held the door for her.
 
She thanked the guy while she carefully fits her small frame in the crowd, making sure that the tea to-go she's holding is still in one piece.
 
As soon as the doors opened to her desired floor, she went out immediately--almost running--trying to make it to her station before the clock strikes eight o'clock.
 
"Morning, Irene! On the dot, huh?" a voice from behind said.
 
Irene turned and saw her friend approaching. "Hey, Krys, how are you?"
 
"Hmm, a bit stressed. My work partner wasn't here for days," said Krystal, making Irene chuckle. "I'm surprised, though. I thought you'll be on leave until Friday?"
 
Irene dropped her bag on the table. "It was only a three-day vacation. I cannot afford to have a whole week off and attend countless unfinished tasks when I get back. That's suicide."
 
"Now that you mention it, I have been rendering OTs these last 3 days just to somehow make it up with the clients."
 
"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you. I promise."
 
"It's okay. It's nearly the end of the year and you haven't taken a single leave yet. You must unwind from time to time, Irene. You're so workaholic."
 
"Not really. I just don't want to take an off and get a double load of work after. It just doesn't make sense."
 
"Whatever. I'm still glad you took an off. At least."
 
After successfully logging into her computer, Irene composed herself, leaning her on the table, a tea in her right hand. "So, how are things here?"
 
Krystal positioned herself beside Irene. "Well, same old stuff. Client work doesn't seem to stop coming."
 
Foreseeing the amount of work she needs to handle, it was Irene sighed. "I guess we should start doing the articles now. Can you email me all the--"
 
"Oh, ." Krystal covers with a hand, her eyes trailing on something.
 
Getting interrupted, Irene followed her friend's line of sight and saw a long-haired woman walking towards the ladies' room. She can't picture out the person's face because of the cap that's almost covering half of her face.
 
"Isn't she a vision?" asked Krystal.
 
Irene opened but wasn't able to make a word. She glanced back at the ladies' room entrance and then to her friend. "I-- I don't--"
 
"Did you see her face? She's cute, right?" Krystal giggled. "You have to admit, that one is a real hottie."
 
Irene grimaced. "Seriously? Krystal, you're asking me that question? You know I don't swing that way."
 
Krystal sighed. "Okay. I know you're not really into this. But could you please help me with this one? I'd like to get to know her."
 
"Help you with what?" asked Irene, confused. "Wait, wait, wait... How long has she been working here? Why didn't I notice her before?"
 
"She just started this week, Monday. You were on your leave, remember?"
 
"Oh. I see. Which department?"
 
"Graphics. Eric's department."
 
"Ahh, that's why you needed my help..." Irene glares at her friend.
 
"Exactly. I'm pretty sure Eric missed you so much. Why don't we pay him a visit instead?" Krystal wagged her brows.
 
"I could send him a message and just tell him to go here."
 
"No! Let's just go to their department, please?" Krystal pleaded. Irene rolled her eyes. "Please, please, pretty please? I just really want to get to know her. You told me you'd make it up to me, right?"
 
Irene grunted. "Do you even know if she's interested? She may be straight, you know..."
 
"She's not! HR introduced her to every department on this floor last Monday. And the first thing she confirmed when our female workforce asked is that she's interested in females only."
 
Irene couldn't believe what she's hearing. "Then why didn't you introduce yourself last Monday or yesterday? You didn't have to wait for me."
 
Krystal pouted. "I'm embarrassed. I know you'll never believe me, but I feel shy around her..."
 
Irene wanted to say no, but Krystal's unfaltering puppy-look seem to have won over. "Fine. Fine. Just this once, okay?"
 
"Eeeeee!" Krystal jumped in excitement.
 
Irene shook her head. "You're crazy."
 
"I'm crazy about her!" Krystal giggled. "And you know what? A lot of ladies have been lurking around this floor since she came in. Eric's department has been getting a lot of female visitors lately."
 
That finally ticked Irene's curiosity. "Really? Wow, she must be a real catch."
 
"You want to see her too?"
 
"Just curious. I'm still not interested."
 
"That's good. At least you're not my competition."
 
"That will never happen, Krystal." Irene grabbed her bag. "Lemme just look for the souvenir I bought for Eric so we have a valid excuse to go there. I don't want to get accused of something that's not my interest."
 
"Eeeee! Thanks, Irene!"
 
---
 
The Graphics Department has about ten employees, with Eric being the immediate supervisor. Irene doesn't enjoy going there often because she feels uncomfortable being alone in a male-dominated room. She prefers talking to Eric in some other places instead, in case her team needs something done from them.
 
"Hi, Eric!" Krystal gleefully approached.
 
The man at the front terminal couldn't hide the smile smearing across his face. He rose to greet his visitors.
 
"Hi, Krystal. And, Irene, I thought you're on leave?"
 
"I decided not to take a week-long vacation. I foresee myself swimming in paper works on Monday," said Irene.
 
"Right... right..." Eric chuckled. He shoved his hands in his pockets. "I... uh... I missed you..."
 
"Eeee... someone's in love..." Krystal teased.
 
Irene glared at her friend before handing Eric a small box. "For you."
 
"For me?"
 
"You're so kind as to give me souvenirs during your travels. I just thought of returning the favor."
 
"Thank you." Eric flipped the box on his hand, still smiling from ear-to-ear. "Did you guys bother yourselves coming over here just to give this?"
 
"No. We're here because one of my staff members wants to meet your new staff." Irene side-glanced Krystal.
 
Krystal cleared .
 
"Oh." Eric smiled, getting what it meant. "These past few days were crazy. I've been getting a lot of visitors. They're looking for me but I think they just want to check out somebody here."
 
"Where is she at?" Krystal scanned the room. Eric pointed at the farthest terminal in that area. "What's her name? Could you introduce us?"
 
"Krystal, I told you I'm not interested," Irene muttered.
 
Eric laughed. He turned around and called out, "Seulgi..."
 
The person sitting at the farthest terminal, who is so busy like she's kissing her monitor, looked up to them. "Yes?"
 
Irene raised an eyebrow.
 
Eric moved aside to show the faces of their visitors. "Just want to introduce you to these two beautiful ladies here, Irene and Krystal. They are the assigned writers for some of our clients. They are from another department but we work together with them once in a while."
 
The newbie raised her right hand for a wave. "Hi, I'm Seulgi!"
 
Although Irene can't see Seulgi's face much from her angle, she knew that Seulgi is smiling at them.
 
Krystal immediately skipped towards Seulgi. "Hi! I'm Krystal!"
 
Irene shook her head, remembering Krystal telling her earlier how shy she feels around this newbie.
 
"You know, I'm feeling envious of Seulgi," said Eric, making Irene look at him. "Since she came here last Monday, a lot of girls have been visiting us. This is the first time it happened considering that, aside from Luna, we're all boys here."
 
"Hmmm. What exactly are they doing here?"
 
"I dunno. Maybe checking her out? Asking questions and stuff? But yeah, it's really nothing important."
 
"Wow. Some kind of welcome for a newcomer, huh? And how does she take it? The visitors?" Irene glanced back in Seulgi's direction but Krystal is already blocking the view.
 
"Well, I have to admit that Seulgi gave a satisfactory first impression," said Eric, playing the souvenir box in his hands. "She is kind and gentle, not to mention that she's superb in designing. I've been working with her for days now and see no attitude problems so far. She entertains everyone with a smile; maybe a reason they kept on coming back here."
 
Krystal's sudden flirtatious laugh caught both their attention. Irene already knows her friend is having a great day.
 
Still, her mind just can't wrap her mind around it. Whatever quake this newcomer has brought to their office, there is no way it affects Irene.
 
---
 
Friday.
 
It was after lunch. As part of her daily routine, Irene headed to the washroom to brush her teeth. And as she ambles on her way there, she thought about how she almost lost her patience with Krystal earlier who kept talking about Seulgi the entire morning.
 
It's not only Krystal. Most of the population in their office is thrilled to meet the new employee. Irene cannot fathom why everyone is making a big fuss out of it to the point that it's irritating her.
 
She was about to enter the ladies' room when two girls who walked out blocked her way. They were giggling.
 
"So cute!"
 
"Did you notice that she looked at me first?"
 
Irene followed the two girls with her eyes. She knew those two are talking about the good-looking newcomer. Getting too occupied, she didn't notice another person coming out of the door.
 
"Oops. Sorry," a gentle-apologetic voice said after they slightly bumped into each other.
 
Irene looked up and gawked at the sight in front of her. This is the first time she got a complete view of this newcomer, whom she realized is taller than her.
 
When their eyes met, Seulgi smiled.
 
So, that was the legendary smile the majority of the people in their office fell for. It wasn't as epic as Irene was expecting, but she had to admit that a jolt hit her body. With that instant moment, she finally understood the reason this newcomer dazzled people.
 
"S-sorry," Irene mumbled, secretly scolding herself for stuttering.
 
"It's okay, no worries."
 
Irene smelled the strong scent of a mouthwash. It made her look into Seulgi's red lips. Somehow she's thankful it was she that Seulgi had bumped into. The whole office might be surprised to see a kissing scene near the ladies' room if it had been Krystal.
 
Seulgi was about to walk out of the scene. Noticing it, Irene moved to her left to let Seulgi pass. However, Seulgi moved in the same direction, her way still being blocked by Irene.
 
Irene moved to her right instead to give way, realizing that Seulgi did the same.
 
Seulgi chuckled. "Oh my..."
 
Irene didn't notice she was smiling too and still admiring the scent of the mouthwash.
 
"Okay, let's do it this way." Seulgi gently touched Irene's shoulders. "You go to your right, and I'll go to my right, okay?"
 
Wearing an off-shoulder top, Irene felt the warmness of Seulgi's palms on her exposed shoulders. She nodded, not sure if she understood what Seulgi told her.
 
"Okay." Seulgi went right and walked away.
 
Irene went inside the ladies' room. She put her things on the rack and placed both her hands on the edge of the counter.
 
She took a deep breath and stared at herself in the mirror, feeling her heart which is beating two times faster now.