Your Pride

Lost Under the Moonlight

Chapter Two - "Your Pride"

"Table 51!" Shin Hye yelled as she slam her hand onto the bell so the waiters would know that it's ready. She glanced at the next ticket and smiled to see that it's one of the dishes that she created. "Chef, I will saute the mushrooms first!" She has been working nonstop for the last 3 hours since rush hour started a bit early. Taking a teaspoon of butter, she let it sizzle around her pan. 

Head Chef Lee Jung So peeked at her ticket and immediately took over her area while pushing her away. "I'll cook it."

That makes no sense. She's the sous chef, she's the one that prep and make the ingredients while he cooks the main course itself. "Chef, I will do it!" It's her dish, she wants to prep. It's the first time she has the time to actually see that somebody in the restaurant has chosen to order a dish she created. "It's my dish, I can prep and - "

"Ya, just because you created it, does that make you think you can do everything? I said that I'll cook it." Head Chef glared at her. "Go help Jae Wook with peeling the potatoes."

Did she just hear him right? Peel the potatoes? That's six levels down from who she is as a Sous Chef. How can she do something as trivial as peeling potatoes? She's not the kitchen assistant for this place. "I'll make the sauce." 

He slammed the pan onto the stovetop, causing everybody in the kitchen to halt what they were doing during the insane rush hour. "Why are you arguing back with me, Park Shin Hye?!" He walked over and jabbed his finger on her forehead over and over again. "Is there something wrong with your brain?! When I tell you do something, go do it!" 

Shin Hye inhaled quietly. She could feel the whole kitchen's eyes on her. Feeling suffocated and defeated, she nodded her head. "Yes, Chef. Sorry, Chef." Walking over to the corner of the kitchen where Jae Wook is, peeling potatoes, she smiled. "Let me help...."

Jae Wook, a recent culinary graduate and newcomer to Starlight, stared at her. "I'll do it. This is supposed to be an assistant's job, Chef. You're a Sous Chef, you should be helping making the actual - "

"It's okay." Shin Hye has been through this type of situation enough to know that there really is no point in arguing back. As second cook in line, she does nothing but prep while Head Chef Jung So takes all the credit and praise. She should also be cooking some of the dishes that gets placed outside for customers to eat. All she does is watch him cook at times or call out table numbers once the dishes are ready. The only chance he ever lets her cook is when the meal is simple or he knows it's not for anybody important outside the kitchen. She looked back and watched as he cook the dish that she created, when will she ever be able to cook actual dishes she created for customers aside from her friends?

. . .

Ji Hyo flipped through one of the recent magazines that was around her private hospital room. She has been dying in bored for the last few days. In order for the story to be plausible in the public's eyes, she had no other choice but to postpone all her scheduled work. It's costing the companies millions of dollars but they are still willing to work with her. An immense amount of guilt ran through her body as she thought about what she was doing that night. 

It's a secret - the only secret she has been hiding from people that love and care for her.

Why did she do it? Shaking her head at herself, she closed her eyes and screamed into her hands out of frustration and shame. She had just signed her first movie contract, announced to the world that she'll be making an acting debut, had a great meeting with a resturant that wants her as their model - everything was going amazing that day.

It was when she entered her empty house, her empty bedroom and sat there. Letting everything sink in as the silence took over. The nerves got the best of her. That's what she would like to think but she knew that it was fear. The fear of failing everybody, the fear of not succeeding in acting like she has been as a model - the fear of just change itself. Feeling lonely and scared of the new changes in her life, she did the only thing she could do.

When she's lost in the substances, everything becomes better. She doesn't have any worries or fears. Instead, she just feeling fine and happy for once. 

"Noona..." she opened her eyes to snap away from her thoughts to see Jun Ki, her manager, standing by the doorway. "You can leave the hospital now." He walked into the room and started packing her things into a duffel bag. "Would you like me to drop you home?"

"No..." Ji Hyo muttered under breath. "Let me take the car today. I want to do some driving by myself."

Jun Ki furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't think that's a good idea."

She knew what he was thinking. He's worried that she'll do it again. She knows that after the incident, the CEO has already called for a company cleaning in her house. Whatever substances she had left in there, they're probably gone. "I'm not going to do anything." Ji Hyo knows that her addiction is life threatening but also bad for her career. Not only would she tumble down from the top star that she is, she'll risk the lives of so many people. As she followed Jun Ki out the room and along the hallways, she couldn't help but think about his job and the others that works around her. People like him - they have a living because of her. They always makes sure to guide her toward the right path. So why can't she ever just follow along the path quietly? "I just want to go for a drive."

Jun Ki nodded his head as he placed the duffel bag into the trunk of the car. "I'll take the cab home." He checked his watch and cleared his throat. "As for today, you have no schedules. I'll pick you up tomorrow morning for your commercial filming."

Ah, the commercial filming. She had just found out that including all the postponed schedules that she originally had, the CEO had decided to add a few more into it. Making her work even more as a punishment is something he would do. "Okay." She didn't bother on saying anything else. Taking the car keys, she got into the driver seat and the ignition. 

. . .

Jong Kook smiled as he took a sip of his water, watching the kids run around in the new playground that he had just built for them. Taking the day off from the gym, he finally got time to drive all the way back to the countryside. He had bought the playground set weeks ago but never had time to come by and build it. Now, seeing the kids play with it, the wait was worth it.

"You don't have to come by with so many toys all the time." Ye Jin, the owner of the orphanage and also the woman that took care of him and the others growing up. "It makes me feel bad."

"I want to." Jong Kook said. Maybe it's because he didn't get to have much growing up. When he was little, Rae Won and him would fight over the same toy all the time. It wasn't easier when they were put in an orphanage as teenagers and had to fight with other kids as well. As a grown man who makes really good money now, he feels obligated to do something to help with the orphange. "How have you been, Auntie Ye Jin?"

She softly smiled. "I've been okay." She coughed into her arm after she heavily coughed for a few seconds. "The cancer is dying down." Two years ago, she was diagnosed with lung cancer and it made the responsibilities for the orphanage a lot harder for her. "The treatments are doing some good."

Jong Kook frowned. "Someone like you shouldn't even go through something like that." The world really can be unfair sometimes. How could a good woman like Auntie Ye Jin go through something as horrible as this? She spends most of her life taking care of kids who were abandoned, providing them a home and place to be happy. Why would the world play a joke and try to take Ye Jin away from the kids? He sighed and started rummaging through his backpack, taking out a white envelope. "Here."

Ye Jin glared at him. "No, I will not be taking anymore of your money."

"Auntie...." He grabbed hold of her hands, making her take the money. "It's from all of us." The day when they had met up for the monthly family dinner, everybody chipped in money to give to her and the kids in the orphanage. It is the best they can do for the place that have given them a home. "Rae Won, Shin Hye and Kwang Soo wanted to come but they couldn't get away from work." He smiled once he saw tears forming in her eyes. "Don't cry."

"What did I do to deserve such good kids like you?"

"You and Jae Suk Hyung took care of us when no one else wanted to." 

The sore memories of being on his own as a teenager still follows him till this day. One day, he and Rae Won were going to school as normal. The moment they stepped foot into their home, they knew. Their parents left them with no money, no security, nothing. He was only 15 years old at that time. Rae Won was only 10. After so many trial and errors, Jong Kook had no other choice but walk into the orphanage hand in hand with Rae Won.

"Bring the others when you can."

"I promise." Jong Kook said.

. . .

Shin Hye laughed along with the colleagues as they openly make jokes about certain customers. They were currently on break as rush over is over and the night is slowing coming to a close. With the last amount of customers finishing their food, all they have to do now is clean the kitchen and head home. Laying in her bed and sleep is the best medicine at this point. 

"Park Shin Hye!" The Executive slammed through the kitchen doors, fire in his eyes as he glared at her. "Come over here!!"

What did she do? Shin Hye walked over in confusion. "Sir?"

"I want you to go to Table 2 and apologize right at this moment."

"Apologize?" Shin Hye doesn't understand what is going on. "What for?"

"His wife ate a bite of your cooking and found a piece of band-aid in their pasta!" The executive scoffed as he shoved her. "Are you dumb? How could you do something as stupid as that? What did I teach you about the kitchen customs?!"

Band-aid? She has no cuts on her hands, why would a band-aid be in a pasta? Not to mention, she hadn't even cooked a pasta today. "Sir, I think you may have the wrong person. I didn't - "

"Don't lie to me. Head Chef told me everything." He shook his head in disapproval and sighed. "It's your dish, Chef Shin Hye. Of course you made the dish! Go apologize to the customers right now before everything turns worse."

"Wait, Head Chef told you that I made that dish?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing. That man spent all day not allowing her to cook a single dish especially the ones that she created for the restaurant. And here he is, telling lies to the executive once there are complaints? "I didn't - "

"Do you know who those customers are? And how important they are?! Someone like you wouldn't understand but their liking toward Starlight could mean a lot! Apologize this instantly!"

Shin Hye wanted to scream. She clenched her fists on her sides and mustered the courage to just let it go. Nodding her head, she followed him into the dining room where other customers were sitting and enjoying their meals. As she walks closer to the table, she could tell what type of people they are instantly. Snobby rich people who spend money without a single thought in the world. Clearing , she bowed down. "I'm sorry. As the chef, I apologize for what you found."

The woman, wearing a fancy fur coat and dangling jewlery, scoffed as she slammed her hand on top of the table. "You think an apology is enough?! What would've happened if I had swallowed that band-aid?!" She dramatically raised her hand. "I could've died!"

Shin Hye kept her head down. "I'm sorry."

"An apology is not enough." Shin Hye could hear the woman's high heels walking closer. "I want you to kneel down and apologize."

That's when Shin Hye put her head up and arched an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," the woman jabbed her finger onto Shin Hye's chest repeatedly. "I said to kneel down and apologize to me properly. Do you know who I am? If I died due to your idiotic band-aid, everybody would come after you." She clapped her hands to get the attention of the whole restaurant. At this point, Shin Hye could see the whole kitchen staff come out to see what's happening. From the corner of her eyes, she could see Head Chef leaning against the wall with his arms crossed - a smirk written all over his face. "Kneel down and apologize."

The executive nudged Shin Hye. "Do it." 

If there was one thing Jong Kook and Rae Won had taught her, it was to always hold onto your pride. No matter how poor or hard you're suffering in life, the one thing you always need to have is your pride. Those words by them rang on and on in her head as she stared at this woman. How could she demand her to kneel down just like that? With everybody watching her? 

"Are you doing it or not?!"

Shin Hye was ready to leave. She will walk out this door and never come back. She didn't even cook this dish, it's not her band-aid. Why is she standing here and taking this screaming by a complete stranger like this? 

"Are you deaf?! Are you doing it or not?!" The woman screamed even louder. 

Shin Hye closed her eyes with her fists clenching near her sides. Without a single word, she immediately kneeled down. "I am sorry."

"That's more like it." The woman clapped her hands in satisfaction. "You should've done it the first time I asked."

Shin Hye stayed silent. Tears b against her eyes as she withstand the humilation. I'm sorry, she thought to herself. She's sorry to Jong Kook and Rae Won. She chose not to listen to them. What is the point of having her pride when her career is on the line? There is nothing else in life she wanted to be than a chef. If she loses this job, she'll have nowhere else to go. This is Starlight Restaurant, words carry and other people will never hire her afterwards. 

"Take it." The woman said as she threw a bundle of cash in front of Shin Hye's face as if she was beggar. "I'll pay double for however much that dish cost. The next time I come here, do better."

Breathing heavily, she glanced up to see the executive quickly following behind the couple to make sure that they won't spread any word on what happened. Bad press can do horrible things to their reputation as he would say. She glanced up to see Head Chef heading back into the kitchen, not even feeling a single ounce of guilt for what just happened. Shin Hye stood up from the floor and looked around, all eyes were still on her. Putting on a tough smile on her face, she bowed down several times to the customers. "I'm sorry for the disturbance. I'm sorry for the disturbance."

. . .

Ji Hyo parked the car on the side of the street, music blasting through the speakers as she closed her eyes. She has been driving around for hours now. Whatever highway exit she saw as she drove, she took it all without a single thought. Going for a drive without a care about being late to a certain appointment or having the pressure to stay hidden so only good tabloids are spread, it's all too tiring. Even with the air conditioner on, she still felt suffocated. Turning off the car, she exit out and started walking aimlessly. 

Wow, she thought. Never not that the countryside would be so beautiful. As the further she walked, she started noticing the little things she never did before.  Like how the wind makes the fall leaves from the tree so subtly, how each step into the puddles left shoe prints onto the cement ground. She has been so focused with working on a daily schedule, she never stopped to take how the world actually changed. 

She stopped walking when she noticed a group of kids running around while laughing. “Ahjumma!” 

Ahjumma? Has she really reached that age where kids call her that? She bent down to be on eye level with the little girl in front of her. “Hi.”

”You’re very pretty...” The little girl shyly smiled as she played with her hair. 

She has heard the words pretty so many times through directors, men, even the people who try to convince to be their model - never she would think that a single compliment from a little girl would give her so much butterflies. “Thank you...” Ji Hyo looked up to see the other kids standing around, looking at her as if she’s some creature. “Do you guys live around here?”

”We live over there,” the little girl pointed over to the building that was a few feet away. “We live with Auntie Ye Jin.”

Ji Hyo followed where the finger was pointing and to her surprise, the building was called Lovely Orphanage. They’re abandoned kids? Feeling so sad for them, she smiled. “I’m new here. Do you mind showing me around?”

”Follow us!”

. . . 

Rae Won closed the kitchen cabinet from above and sighed as he hurriedly ate his ramen noodles. He has to work the late shift in a few hours. Considering how insane the hours would be and the criminals he may have to catch, he rather eat now than later. 

Throwing the clothes he had on the floor over to the corner, he took a seat on the couch and the television. 

Song Ji Hyo’s recent signing with the movie contract has been trending nonstop since it happened. Fans from all over the world wants to know more details about her role and the plot! A lot of other fans are anticipating to see who may just be the male lead! 

Rae Won took a huge gulp of the ramen soup and exhaled deeply. Feeling extremely annoyed by the news, he threw rest of the noodles into the trash. Opening his fridge, he took out a water bottle - taking it all in one gulp. 

No one knows about his past relationship with Ji Hyo. Maybe it’s because it happened long before she became famous. They dated for almost a year and broke up on the worst terms. He became busy with the police academy and her schedules became inevitably overwhelming. Their fights became constant and what seemed like a relationship that was meant to be, became sour and exhausting for the both of them.

Feeling his phone vibrate, he took it out from the back pocket. 

Auntie Ye Jin is upset that none of you came along. Jong Kook had sent the message into their group chat with Kwang Soo and Shin Hye. 

Rae Won closed the message, not knowing what to say. How is he supposed to explain that he didn’t want to go? Sure, it’s the place that he’s grateful for but why would he come back to the place that reminded him that his parents abandoned him? He spent most of his years growing resenting his parents and the fact that he was surrounded by other kids with the same dilemma as he did. 

When he had the chance to leave, he was the first one to take it. He didn’t care if Jong Kook loved that place. He does nothing but silently put in money to donate as Jong Kook requested but that’s all he’ll ever do. 

He will never go back to that place.

. . .

Jong Kook checked the time on his watch while looking outside. It’s way past their curfew now. The kids have never stayed outside this late. Stepping outside, he started looking around the backyard to see if they were busy playing with the new playground set that they forgot. 

As he steps closer, he could see the kids running around while laughing - chasing after somebody that he doesn’t recognize from where he was standing. “Sung Jung...” he called out to one of the kids that was nearby. 

“Uncle Jong Kook....” 

“Who is that?” Maybe it’s somebody that pays the kids a visit that he never knew about. 

“Pretty ahjumma!” 

Jong Kook arches his eyebrow in amusement. “Pretty Ahjumma?” He held hands with little Sung Jung and walked closer to the group as they stopped playing. The closer he got, he started realizing who it actually was. “Song Ji Hyo???”

Ji Hyo turned around to the sound of somebody calling her name. In front of her, a tan muscle built man with his hair tousled on the side. Even in a windy day like this, he was only wearing a black t-shirt and shorts. "Hello." She wanted to run away. This guy is probably another fan who recognized her in the countryside and wants a photograph.

"Ah, it's nice to meet you." Jong Kook disinterestedly said as he gathered the kids around him. "If you don't mind, I have to bring them back inside. It's their dinner time."

Surprised by how emotionless he was speaking towards her, she only managed to nod her head as a response. She waved goodbye to the little girl, Hae Sook. For the last two hours, Ji Hyo hasn't felt this alive in so long. Running around on the dirty grass, chasing after little kids in a game of tag - when was the last time she felt like this?

Jong Kook turned around to head back towards the building but halted his steps. He could feel Hae Sook, tugging onto his shirt, giving him a signal to ask Ji Hyo to stay for dinner. Feeling obligated to keep the kids happy, he turned back to face Ji Hyo. "Would you like to stay for dinner? It's not much if I were to be honest." The first time he saw her, she was eating at Starlight - a clear difference between a high class restaurant and market food. "The kids would love it if you would stay a bit longer."

She checked the time on her watch. Has she really been gone for more than half the day already? Just as she was about to say no, her stomach made a very clear sound expressing it's hunger. "Sure."

Jong Kook nodded and looked down to wink at Hae Sook, who was clearly jumping in excitement over a new guest. "Come on, let me fly you back home!" He picked up Hae Sook and placed her around his neck. "1....2....3!!!"

. . .

Shin Hye collapsed onto her bed, her eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. This isn't how exactly she thought her dream job would end up like. To stand there and berated as a human being, getting blamed on things she didn't even do. Growing up, cooking has always been her favorite things to do. Maybe it's because she was one of Auntie Ye Jin's little helpers, making breakfast and dinner for everybody in the orphanage.

When she told Jong Kook that she wanted to be a chef, he took the money that he had intially saved for his gym and gave it to her. He paid all the expenses for her culinary school. Closing her eyes as she sighed deeply with tears flowing down her face. Immense guilt came over her as she thought over and over again about kneeling down in front of a customer. Jong Kook spent his life savings on a dream that wasn't even his and that's how she used it? By kneeling down in front of a stranger in order to keep a job that belittes someone as if they're a speck of dust? If she had known this is how she would get treated, she wouldn't have taken Jong Kook's money five years ago. He could've had his gym earlier and expanded to the size he originally wanted. 

Screaming in her pillow, she groaned as she felt her phone vibrate from a text message. Opening one eye, she opened the message to see it was from Rae Won. I'm downstairs, I'll wait for you at the convenience store. Come down right away. Her eyes automatically opened in fear. Rae Won would never text her something like this unless it's real emergency. 

Quickly putting on her slippers and a coat, she rushed down the steps of her apartment and down the street to where the store was at. Sitting at one of the patio tables in front of the store with a bottle of soju, Rae Won waved his hand for her to come faster. Suspiciously, she sat across from him and stared at the two empty soju bottles nearby - he's clearly on his third. "Aren't you supposed to be working the night shift today?"

"I was," Rae Won said as he took another shot of soju. "It wasn't that busy today so the leader let me off early."

Lies. Shin Hye knows him too well to even try to believe that. Someone like Rae Won would never leave work early even if the Supertindent of the police force told him to. "What's wrong with you?"

"Do you know why Jong Kook chose today to visit the orphanage?"

Shin Hye shook her head. "No."

"Today's the exact date that our parents left us." Rae Won muttered under his breath. He chuckled as if it's the best joke in the world. "20 years since it happened, Shin Hye."

She looked at him with a sad expression. They may be considered as family for knowing each other this long but in actuality, they know very little about each other. The one fact that she does know is that Rae Won took the abandonment harder than Jong Kook did. He was only 10, his age was at the mindset that parents are supposed to take care of you until you're old enough to be on your own. He was forced to grow up under the care and eyes of his older brother. Rae Won always wanted to see his parents again to simply ask why. The pain of being left alone is harsh part of his life. She takes the glass away from him, downing one shot for herself. She understands that feeling all too well.

Shin Hye lived with her dad after her mom passed away. At first, everything was okay and normal. She spent days with her dad and he always made sure that she wouldn't feel the void of a missing parent. It wasn't until when she was in middle school that she knew everything was not okay. Her dad stopped spending time with her. He even went to the extent of not feeding her for a couple of days. In a blink of an eye, she was placed in the orphanage. 

She doesn't know where he is or how he even is doing, she knows nothing. Being abandoned by the only member in her family, she spent weeks blaming herself. What did she do wrong that made her dad stop loving her? Taking the glass away from Rae Won, she sighed. "Oppa, you can't do this every year when today comes. You have to learn how to put it past you."

"I do." Rae Won said. "I forget about it when I put criminals behind bars."

That's such a police thing to say, she could only roll her eyes. "I am serious." She took the last shot of soju so he wouldn't be able to drink anymore. "And come visit the orphanage with us someday. You know that Auntie Ye Jin loved you especially when we were little."

"Someday." Rae Won carelessly said as he looked away. Never, he thought to himself. "I'm tired. Go home." Without another word, he put his hands in his front pockets and started walking home. A little walk would ease his mind for tonight.

Shin Hye shook her head as she stood up to clear the table for him. Sometimes she wishes she could do better as the youngest in the group.

. . .

Ji Hyo stood up to help Auntie Ye Jin with the dishes as soon as dinner was done. "Let me help you..."

"Oh no!" Auntie Ye Jin smiled as she lightly push Ji Hyo away. "I can't be having someone like you do the dishes."

"No..." Ji Hyo wanted to do them. It's the least thing she could do. "Please."

"If she wants to do it, let her." Jong Kook said as he walked into the kitchen to put more dirty dishes into the sink. "The kids wanted help for their school work anyway, Auntie Ye Jin."

"If you insist..." 

Ji Hyo watched as the woman rushed over to help the kids. She turned and looked at Jong Kook. "Thanks."

"No problem." He stood next to her with a rag in his hand. "I'll dry the dishes to make things faster."

"Thanks."

"Is saying thanks a force of habit for you?" Jong Kook asked.

Confused. "No."

"I mean, you're saying it alot." He started wiping the ones that Ji Hyo washed. "I have another question." He let the silence take over for a few seconds in case she didn't want to answer. "What are you doing here? Weren't you just at the hospital in Seoul?"

"I was discharged." Ji Hyo shrugged her shoulders. "I guess I just needed a little break before my crazy schedules starts up again." 

Jong Kook could agree with her mindset. "You are a big star."

Shaking her head, she handed over the new dish that she just washed. "No, I'm not."

"I think you are. If Auntie Ye Jin knew about you, you're definitely a big star." Jong Kook knows that Auntie Ye Jin doesn't watch much of anything because she's always so busy. The fact that when Ji Hyo walked in and Auntie Ye Jin automatically knew who she was, it says a lot. 

"Being a big star doesn't mean anything." Ji Hyo said.

"It doesn't? You live in luxury with the glam and love by everybody in the world. What's to hate about it?" Jong Kook laughed.

Ji Hyo stayed quiet for a few seconds before answering him. "You don't get to live for yourself...."

Jong Kook stopped laughing and really looked at the woman next to him. That's when he saw it - the sadness in her big, round eyes. He never thought that somebody like her is capable of knowing what sadness is. Maybe it's inhumane for him to think so but he always thought that big time celebrities would be happy with the money and lifestyle that they lead on. 

"What about you? How's the fame hitting you?"

Fame? Jong Kook lets out a snort. "I'm not famous."

"No?" Ji Hyo sniffled as her nose was starting to get itchy all of a sudden. "Kim Jong Kook? Aren't you the owner of Fit & Crunch?" A couple of weeks ago, she came across a magazine while waiting for a commercial director to start filming. In the magazine, she saw a full cover of Kim Jong Kook and displaying his gym. She had heard about him from her co-workers as he was one of the new upcoming entrepreneur in Seoul. With his gym business and the new registers for the gym, he was getting famous. At first when she saw him at the backyard, she didn't know it was him until his name was mentioned during dinner. 

"I am the owner but that - "

"Some celebrties have shared with me that they want to sign up to Fit & Crunch." Ji Hyo disclosed.

"That's good. I always invite new people to come check out my gym."

It was Ji Hyo's turn to start laughing. "It's not because they want to work out. They want to come to see you work out."

Jong Kook cleared his throat. He's never the type to be so comfortable around women who just wants to look at him as if he's eye candy. Yes, he has seen the latest articles that were written about him but he never really paid much attention to them. His level of this so called fame is rather a joke. "That would be a waste of membership."

Ji Hyo looked at him and cracked a smile. She has never met someone as stoic as him. "That's what you're worried about? Not the fact that they're probably interested in you?"

"Why would I be worried about that?" If he was to be honest with himself, he hasn't been worried about women in a long time. He has been so focused with working and making the gym the best it could be that dating is the last thing in his mind. Wanting to change the topic, Jong Kook put the rag away as soon as they were done. "Do you feel any better?"

"I'm sorry?" Ji Hyo asked. "Feel better?"

"Isn't that why you were admitted into the hospital? You had the flu?"

She almost forgot about that issue. The fact that her CEO has displayed that she had the flu as the fake story, she has to keep up with that image. "Yes. I just needed a lot of rest and food."

"You know if you work out on a daily basis, you won't get sick as much." Jong Kook suggested. "Healthy lifestyle gets you a healthy life."

"I do....work out." She furrowed her eyebrows, when was the last time she has really worked out? Was it 2 years ago? When she had the workout gear commercial contract? "I do."

"If you ever need a trainer, you should come by. I'll sign you up with one of my best guys." Jong Kook offered.

"Why? Is it because I'm famous?" 

Jong Kook scoffed as he walked out of the kitchen. "Song Ji Hyo-ssi, if I were to be honest, I don't know a single thing about you or whatever career you may have that got you to be such a top star. The only reason I know of you is because I happened to have heard about you a week ago. As a professional trainer, I am only offering some work out program services that could better your lifestyle a bit. Not because you're famous. If I don't care about my own status, why would I care about others?" He knows he may be sounding rude but it's just how he feels. It has been nice to have dinner and help do the dishes with each other but reality is, she's clearly different from him. "I'm going to say goodbye to the kids and leave. You should do the same." He stepped away to leave but halted to say one more thing. "I am not saying this because I think you're a selfish, uptight famous person who thinks they can have perks. I don't have that sense from you. I can tell that you may be different from the others. I mean, you're here in the countryside alone with a bunch of kids that you don't know."

"So why are you telling me all of this for?" Ji Hyo was curious.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe it's because when we both leave this place and head back to Seoul, I'll probably won't see you again."

Ji Hyo nodded her head in agreement. "I think so too." The both of them acknowledge that something like today is a rarity. "Thank you for today. I had fun."

Jong Kook chuckled. "It is a habit of yours." 

And like that, he walked away to find the kids - leaving Ji Hyo to stand alone in the middle of the hallways of the orphanage.

. . .

The Next Morning

Rae Won choked on his toast as he finished listening to Jong Kook's story that he wanted to share over breakfast. "You and who?"

"Song Ji Hyo." Jong Kook laughed as if it's the craziest story in the world. "It's insane, I know." Taking the yolk out of his eggs and putting it onto Rae Won's plate, he took a sip of his black coffee. "The kids loved her though."

He still couldn't wrap his head around the story. His older brother and ex-girlfriend spent the day together? Rae Won cleared his throat and looked at Jong Kook. "Why was she there?"

"I don't know." Jong Kook looked at Rae Won. "It doesn't matter. I mean, this is somebody who is a top star. Her world is completely the opposite of ours. She's a nobody to us. I don't know her, you don't know her."

Rae Won could only nod his head as he finished up his breakfast. Someday, he will tell his brother and the rest about his past relationship with Song Ji Hyo.

Definitely not today.

. . .

Ji Hyo stepped into the conference room as Director Jung has called for a meeting about the movie. "Hello."

"I'm so glad you're able to make some time for this small meeting." Director Jung stood from his seat. "I want to introduce the male lead that you'll be starring in the movie with!"

She peeked over Director Jung's shoulders and could see a silhouette of somebody standing by the windows. Narrowing her eyes, she couldn't tell who it was. "The male lead?" She thought that Director Jung wanted to spend extra time to look for the male lead. "Ah..." she cleared as she walked closer to greet her new co-star. "Hello, I am Song Ji - " the silhouette turns around and her eyes widened in surprise. "Hyun Bin sunbae...."

Hyun Bin, one of the top movie stars in Seoul, is actually standing in front of her. His whearabouts has been a bit unknown for the last 2 years. His very last work was a CF that made him millions. A lot of people had assumed that he left after making so much money from his list of movies and CFs. The fact that he's standing in front of her was bewildering itself already but now he's also going to be the male lead of her very first movie? As if life couldn't get any more crazy. 

"Song Ji Hyo..." Hyun Bin said softly. "It's nice to finally meet you."

She looked at the hand he held out in front of her. Ji Hyo smiled back as she shook hands with him. "I look forward to working with you, Sunbae."

. . .

A/N: I had so much that I wanted to happen in this chapter but I had to cut so many things out. This chapter itself is already so long. I am content with how it came out. Please do support, it's much appreciated!

Please do comment and vote! As it does inspire a lot and it helps to know how people think of the story so far and if people are reading! Thank you so much!

Like I said, this is a SPARTACE and RAESHIN story in one. I wanted to do a combination with these two couples because it's two ships that I really do love. Of course, with every fanfic - there's always drama so it wont be as easy to just be SPARTACE/RAESHIN as love has its trial and error!

Thank you for reading this chapter! Please comment, vote and subscribe! (: