seven

The Sweetest Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

double update, sort of ^^ if you did not read the chapter i posted yesterday, go there first?

 

SEVEN

 

Donghae’s phone is suddenly his most treasured possession. He checks it so frequently (just in case) that it’s a wonder he doesn’t wear right through the glass with his hopeful swiping. He and Hyukjae have messaged each other several times over the last few days and even if all Hyukjae says is ‘you forgot your wallet at the store’ or ‘alright, get it in the morning, have a nice day’ it’s enough that Donghae really does have a nice day. He doesn’t want to overwhelm Hyukjae with too many replies so he spends hours thinking of just the right response, a message that will make Hyukjae feel good, and make him think that Donghae is cool and brave and thoughtful.

It usually ends up something like ‘do you think it will rain today!?!?!? :) :) :)’

Without fail, the moment he hits send Donghae regrets everything because he always sounds both boring and desperate, and he sort of wants to cry.

No wonder Hyukjae’s responses are kind of luke-warm.

He always does respond though.

But he doesn’t start conversations himself?

Donghae can’t work out if Hyukjae is ing interested in him at all or not! They- they really had a moment in Hyukjae’s apartment, right? Or is Donghae reading too much into it? Does Hyukjae even realize how much Donghae likes him?

‘How could he, when you can’t even get a single decent come-on out?’ Siwon tells Donghae, reading through his phone when they meet up for dinner. Siwon is in town for a business conference, and Donghae’s mother is filled with regret that Donghae does not own his own clinic yet, and has no reason to attend.

Donghae sighs and rests his head on the table beside his very expensive soup. Siwon had chosen the restaurant, so of course it is classy and exclusive and ridiculously overpriced.

‘You need to sweep him off his feet,’ Siwon says. ‘Take him to Paris for the weekend or something.’

‘He just always looks so confused when I try to hit on him,’ Donghae moans.

‘I don’t blame him,’ Siwon says. 'A walrus is more seductive than you.'

Two courses later, he leans over the table and takes Donghae’s hand while he’s reading the dessert menu, then kisses his knuckles gently.

‘I’m staying at the Grand Hyatt,’ he says. ‘Why don’t you come back with me and I'll give you a private lesson?’

He waggles his eyebrows suggestively and Donghae snatches his hand back.

‘Because I’m in love with Hyukjae,’ he says.

‘But you’re not dating him,’ Siwon says, with a winning smile. ‘Besides, Donghae, how long has it been? You probably need some practice.’

Donghae shoves his chair back and gets to his feet, scowling and offended, and Siwon laughs and stops him from leaving.

‘Relax,’ he says. ‘I’m just teasing you. Let’s go past this confectionary shop of yours so I can check out this Hyukjae.’

‘No,’ Donghae mutters. He can imagine Siwon’s astonishment and underhand comments about the run-down neighbourhood and tiny shop, and doesn’t want the other man's dark smouldering eyes all over Hyukjae any more than he wants his too-familiar hands all over himself.

His phone buzzes.

I didn’t see you today -hyukjae :)

 ‘Does he write his name after every message?’ Siwon wonders, reading over Donghae’s shoulder. ‘Reply and ask what he’s wearing.’

‘No!’ Donghae tries to shove Siwon away but Siwon grabs his phone and holds it out of his reach, quickly tapping out a reply. ‘Siwon, don’t you dare-’

He grabs his phone back and checks what the other man sent.

-out for dinner with a friend ;)

Donghae gapes at it.

‘Now he’s going to think I’m on a date,’ he wails.

‘Well, should I have told him you’re discussing him with your former -buddy?’ Siwon asks.

Donghae’s phone vibrates again.

-oh… the lady from work?

‘What lady from work?’ Siwon asks, mystified. ‘Since when are you into ladies?’

Donghae is just as confused.

‘Look though,’ Siwon points at the message. ‘No smiley face or name that time, huh. He’s jealous.’

Donghae shakes his head, already replying.

-no my former-

‘Friend with benefits,’ Siwon supplies. Donghae glares.

-colleague!

‘Now ask him what he’s doing later,’ Siwon says. ‘Bet you he wants to meet up.’

‘Shut up,’ Donghae says desperately. He needs to think, he doesn’t know what Hyukjae will be assuming about him, he needs to plan a good response.

‘Give me your phone,’ Siwon says, reaching for it again, and Donghae shoves it into his pocket and out of reach.

‘You are so boring,’ Siwon complains.

‘I need to go home,’ Donghae says, grabbing his things. He’s halfway down the street by the time Siwon catches up after paying.

‘I’m sorry,’ he says, linkin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter