I'm sleepy

Everybody loves Jihyo!

Inspired by Green Window and Paper Cuts, from sauveznous, go check it out:

 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/8346712/chapters/19121620

 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/15884502/chapters/37013499

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

“Detective, just ask me the questions that brought me here?”

 

“That’s not how this works, Ms Park.” The detective snarls back.

 

“Look, I understand I’m a suspect, and you want to pressure me into telling the truth, but I’ve been doing that since you dragged me out of my house.” Ms Park, dr Park Jihyo, begs once again. “I’m just out of a forty-eight-hour shift, I went through three high risk surgeries, I really just want to sleep, please.”

 

“We are checking you alibi, Ms Park, if you talk before we find out you were lying, I might be able to help.”

 

“I really don’t need that kind of help, as you will understand as soon as your colleague calls. Look, let’s make a deal, I’m giving you my agreement to take whatever samples you might need for me, no need for my lawyer, just put me on a cell, give me a blanket and a water bottle and I’ll stay here.” Dr Park begs.

 

“I don’t think so.” The detective, once again, denies the request.

 

“Detective, let me explain better, I’m heavily sleep deprived. My body is about to shut down, and then, when you do figure out I’ve been telling you the truth from the start, you are going to have a very different conversation with my lawyers and the hospital’s lawyers. Now, put me in a cell where I can sleep or I will pass out in here.” The small doctor demands in an eerily calm tone.

 

“Fine! Kim, get her to a cell.” The detective concedes, looking right into the window and calling for her junior watching on the other side.

 

“That’s better, detective. No need to worry, I’ll cooperate entirely.” Jihyo smirks devilishly. “And, detective Kim, that yellowing on your eyes, you might want to get some more water into your system.” She advises to the shorter woman who comes in to guide her out.

 

The detective just shakes her head in frustration when the doctor says it, but never utters another word, just gesturing for the woman to be taken already. She had some rodeos with this kind of people before, name doctors that acted like they were unreachable, snobby people that fawned over the law enforcers. She wanted to scoff but schooled herself to not give the doctor the satisfaction, she needed to wait for Jinyoung to report back to have anything to go off on.

 

Walking down the hallway behind the pale detective, Jihyo decides to, maybe, get a reaction and find out a bit more about why she was there to begin with. Not that the nice detective lady had given her any kind of clue earlier, just snarled something about confessing to what she did and nothing else. Not that it was her first time getting accused about something, but that was just because of her self getting into the pants of almost all the nice ladies high society had to offer, almost because she hadn’t made her way to meet them all yet.

 

“You know, doctor.” Detective Kim offers when Jihyo is settled in a cell and the door is properly shut. “I’ve seen you like this before, when I was in the academy. You were on my first case study. Your attitude is much calmer than back then, you were kind of irritated.”

 

“If you tell me who got me to the interrogation room and I’ll tell you why.” Jihyo smiles, much more inviting than with the previous detective.

 

“It was Park Sooyoung that got you in, but you got brought back in because of Ahn Hyejin. You only got angry the second time around.”

 

“Oh, I remember exactly why. Sooyoung, my dearest cousin, was the one that held my prints, and Hyejin was the one that said I was around the crime scene, right? Well, Sooyoung and I have some money arrangements, she had refused to pay me back and I kicked her , simple, I know.”

 

They both laugh, Dahyun knowing very well how hard it was with Park Sooyoung, the girl knew how to tick an officer off, and spared no effort in doing so. She remembers watching the interrogations that went on for hours with the girl talking nonsense about the lavish life she was enjoying. The doctor appeared less guarded about the junior detective, and Dahyun thought of taking that chance to get anything she could out of the woman.

 

“And, what about Ahn Hyejin?”

 

“Hyejin was, I don’t think they are friends anymore, Sooyoung’s partner in parties. I lost count of how many times I had to bail them out, or pay off their debt to avoid limbs being severed. Not that I would object, but I always welcome favors owed to me.”

 

“Oooh, evil.” Detective Kim taunts.

 

“Not that much, if you know how high society works. It’s a wolf eats wolf world, and favors from the right people will get you far. My family is different, to say it nicely, my father was disowned after he lost his leg in the army, some bad grenade accident, I never really heard the whole story, so Sooyoung’s mother took over the succession.”

 

“So you are the spawn of the black sheep that stepped up to throw your success on their faces.” The detective concludes, seemingly wrong, as the doctor shakes her head.

 

“Not at all, I became a doctor to try and ease my father’s injuries. Nothing against the army doctors, but they did do a sloppy job, I refused to acknowledge that the pain he went through all my life was something we just had to accept. So I set out to become the doctor I am today.”

 

“That’s-” Kim cuts herself short for a while. “That is definitely not what I was expecting.”

 

“I know, and I don’t blame you, I do fill in the shoes of the ‘successful doctor who breezes through the high society’ profile. It’s what I want everyone to think. I still have some things to set straight, and I can’t have the rest of my family finding out who I am just yet.”

 

“I thought Sooyoung was directly related to your family? Being your cousin and all?”

 

“She is, but she is not, exactly, trustworthy to them. The spoiled dumb daughter, being brought up to marry another company into theirs. She is much smarter than given credit for, and agrees wholeheartedly with my take on things.”

 

“I see, so it’s the underdog uprising.”

 

“Pretty much. I’m sorry detective, but I really need some shut-eye right now, you can keep probing me for information when I wake up.”

 

The doctor laughs tiredly when the pale woman gets some hints of pink on her cheeks, looking caught red handed. At some point, there are some hands taking samples of her, but Jihyo doesn’t mind, she is too tired to bother waking up for this, and she had already told the detective to take whatever they needed. Sleep was more important. It felt like minutes, when a stern voice started calling for her to wake up.

 

“Ms Park, I need you to wake up now. Can’t leave you in here anymore.” Is what dr Park, finally, hears when she comes to.

 

“I’m pretty sure I asked to be left here, detective.” The small doctor responds.

 

“I know, but your alibi checks out, and we’ve been stalling to send you home for four hours by now. Just, please, leave.”

 

“Can’t I be here for another six hours? I promise I’ll go home later.”

 

“It’s already past ten, and I need to get home.”

 

“Alright, dear detective, I’m up.” Jihyo mumbles but gets up. “I’ll let you get back to your lovely daughter.”

 

“What?” There is a growl, low and menacing. “Will you explain yourself? I don’t mind leaving you in there forever.”

 

“Calm down, great detective Minatozaki. It’s much simpler than you think it is.” Jihyo laughs lightly, ignoring the threatening tone.

 

“And now would be the time you explain yourself.”

 

“Im Nayeon.” She answers simply, and the detective looks displeased.

 

“I’m going to need more explanation.”

 

“Im Nayeon tried to maul her left leg off the day after Myoui Mina went to visit her, I’m the best nerve trauma surgeon money can buy, her father, despite everything, still needs his daughter in one piece.” There is a bitter chuckle from both. “He contacted me immediately after she was hospitalized, I did my job, but she is a convict, her file came with her, and I read it all, and added some to the notes. The rest was a matter of research, and Google told me the rest in ten minutes.”

 

“So you will do whatever money buys you to do?” The detective’s voice is dripping with disdain.

 

“That, and I also was the only one who could have kept her walking. At least, she guaranteed her stunts are gone for good.” The doctor remains ignoring the detective’s tone.

 

“What do you mean? Didn’t you just say daddy dearest rushed you in to save that girl?” The confusion is visible on the detective.

 

“Oh, that he did. But I also did say I was able to keep her walking, and I did. But her muscle tissue was beyond damaged, she can walk, but that’s about it. No running, no more carrying anything heavier than a small backpack, she can barely stand for periods longer than a few minutes. I guess that’s a great outcome for someone trying to amputate their leg with a shank made out of a toothbrush.”

 

“I knew that girl had problems, but this was unexpected.” Detective Minatozaki’s anger seems to have dispelled.

 

“Oh, you have no idea. The psych reports have been going downhill ever since she was locked up, freefalling after Myoui Mina’s last visit.” The doctor signals she is ready to leave. “I would need a ride home, though. Is that alright, detective?”

 

“Yes, sure, I’ll take you.” Sana answers absentminded, mulling over what she just discovered.

 

The ride to the doctor’s house is quiet, Jihyo takes the time to nap and get some more sleep on, Sana is just frustrated that this doctor knew too much about her and was clean as a whistle, her alibi was stone solid, there was nothing she could possibly be charged with, not even a parking ticket. She was an outstanding member of society, did a very generous amount of charity, either through work or donations, was a rising prodigy, despite already being at the top, all there was to criticize was her tendency to get into different pants every night, sometimes a few in the same night.

 

As frustrated as the detective was, there was nothing she could do, this small and, frustratingly, attractive doctor was the best suspect they had and, just like last time she was brought in, nothing tied her to the murder, except for her fingerprints that could have been left on the scene at any point during one of the victim’s escapades, it was a known fact the victim had many lovers, the husband too, but he was not dead, and the one lead they had, was dismissed by three very grateful patients and about thirty four hours of surgery footage that couldn’t have been forged.

 

“Here we are, Ms Park. Thank you for your cooperation.” The detective says, parking at the doctor’s front door.

 

“Thank you, detective. Oh, if you haven’t already, it might be a great idea to go for a pic-nic date with detective Kim, you both need some more vitamin D, maybe bring some light salad and low carb meal. I know the job is stressful, but taking some time to yourselves might do your relationship well.” The doctor advises and leaves before Sana has any time to react.

 

The detective simply shakes her head, looking at the woman entering her home, if it’s medical orders, she might just follow this time, perhaps she should just take the step. The reasons not to were running thin, and she had been failing to even convince herself lately.