Prologue

The Damned: Heart of Gold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Writer's Note: 
A flashback (all in italic)
Inner thoughts (italic with colored font)
 


  The weather was beautiful today — soft, brilliant sunlight shyly peeked through the fluffy, big, white clouds, currently being blocked by towering buildings, forming gentle shadows, making people feel comfortable roaming around. It is further coupled with the mild and soothing caress of wind sweeping pass the people. The town, called Mirstone, was the largest city of the top three cities in the majestic country. Various sky high buildings were erected, completely filling up every space of the city, and thus fulfilling the criteria of an advanced city. Various types of establishment can be found here — from high end shopping complex and fancy restaurant to night market and street food — that will satisfy every needs and wants of customers, making the traffic bustling all year round. Strategically placed beautiful green landscape amidst the man-made masterpiece adds value to the overall allure and aesthetic feeling of the city, making Mirstone as one of the hottest spot for tourism and vacation, either from the locals, or tourists who wanted to spend time alone or with loved ones.
 

  The citizens of Mirstone live in harmony and peace, preferring calm to chaos in their everyday life. Everyone is to be treated fairly and with respect despite being of different race . The residents can be categorized into two races ; mortal humans, who did not carry any extraordinary traits, and Mages, a smaller group of people who are gifted with special abilities to possess and control magic since birth.
 

  Inside a designer clothing store located at the high end shopping street, soft music was playing in the background, the cool air from the air conditioning gently kissed the skin of the inhabitants, leaving behind a cool and fresh feeling. The walls were painted with black and gold, giving off a soothing ambience; adding with modern ceiling lamps installed throughout the store, the atmosphere had become elegant and sophisticated. It was an enchanting experience, attracting everyone gazes.
 

  “Would you like to pay in full or by installment?” A woman in mid thirties could be seen standing behind the counter; her hands skilfully ringing up the bills and packaging the purchase quickly while asking the question to the female customer; maintaining a perfect, polite smile on her face, irritating the customer. She looked at the saleswoman coldly, scoffing internally towards her. The seemingly innocent and flawless smile, always giving a fake sense of familiarity between people, portraying the person as someone nice and harmless. But at the end of the day, it was only a mask to conceal one’s true colour.
 

  “Our store has a new scheme for members and you can subscri-” It was cut off with a frigid answer from the young female, her tone cold and unapproachable, posture straight and exuding an indifferent aura making her seemed out of place inside the store.
 

  “Full.”
 

  The saleswoman’s lips twitched slightly, irked at the customer’s interruption but she remained calm and completed the payment process, swiping the black credit card through the card reader of the credit card terminal.
 

   She placed the card and paper bag containing the purchase item on top of the counter, respectfully giving them to the young lady.
 

  “Thank you for purchasing with us! Have a nice day, miss.” The young lady took them without a word and left the store with quick stride.
 

  “Please come again!” The saleswoman helplessly shook her head at the younger's attitude.

  Seeing there's no customer left, she sighed gratefully but not even ten seconds pass, the door was opened forcefully. A young man entered the store abruptly, seeming breathless and had his hands planted on his knees while bending forward to try catching his breath. His chest heaved up and down, mouth opened as he inhaled large amount of air to regulate his breathing.
 

  His mind was berating himself, saying how it was a bad idea to come into the shopping district alone and by feet, not driving his own car or asking someone to drive him there. Even though the district is only a few blocks away from his home, running to the store through packed street nonetheless exhaust him. Thankfully, he took his gym training seriously to increase his stamina for urgent and sudden situation such as today.
 

   The saleswoman put on her professional smile back on her face and bowed to the new potential customer. “Good morning!”

 

  “Welcome to Gucci. How can I help you today, sir?”

 

  The saleswoman tilted her head and lowered her body a bit to get a glimpse of the young man’s face as it was obstructed by the hood of his hoodie. He wore a big hoodie which is practically two times larger than his size and the collar reached his chest that showed a loose striped shirt worn underneath it. His hands cannot be seen as it was engulfed by the long sleeves of the striped shirt.
 

  She did not know where to look as she habitually makes eye contact with customers when speaking with them. Unfortunately, his eyes cannot be seen as they were blocked by his long bangs covering his entire forehead and to top it off, he was wearing round glasses that seem out of place considering his hair had blocked his eyesight. She wondered how he managed to get here in one piece without contracting accident.
 

  “I’m Lizzy, the person-in-charge of the store today. If you need any assistance, I’ll be over here.” she told him, straightening her body and preparing to leave on the interest of giving the customer some space t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter