Chapter 1: June

Just Between Us

There is nothing worse than receiving a call from your mom telling you don’t have to come home for a holiday or a break. Whether it is Spring Break or Winter, some kind of holiday. But for me, it was expected. No matter how many promises he has hard, it always come down to the same thing. The same phone call, with the same excuses. And just like that, there is nothing but a beep, at the end o the call. And you are left alone. But Jimin had to learn not to complain about it. It would make him ungrateful. How could he complain about his life? He had everything. His father is a successful business tycoon and his mother is a stay at home. He had a younger brother who goes to a private school. Everything he has ever wanted he got. They are not poor so what more could he possibly want?

So, if what we don’t get together for the holidays? He wondered.

 

“You know it’s not even a big,” he says stirring the ice in the glass full of orange juice with a straw. His friend, Mina had on an apron, and every time she had time, she would stop at the table he was sitting.

She was tired but her eyes still sparkled. He always wondered how she can be so happy? She has always been a bright person, always smiling. He always smiled too but it was different. Actually, it was fake. He knew that but what could he do? If he doesn’t smile than everyone would be worried and ask questions. He hated answering questions because when he answers them, people, then judge him. 

They don’t say it out loud, but he saw it in their eyes.

How could you be unhappy when there people out there with nothing? Their eyes would ask him.

 

“It’s messed up,” she says, “They convinced you to cancel all your plans for the summer just to cancel on you at the last minute.”

“It’s work,” he replies, still stirring the ice, “I’m used to it.”

His eyes wander around the café, it was quiet, as expected. It was the middle of the day; the sun was scorching, and the heat was unbelievable. Everyone was probably at the pool eating ice creams or something.

“Forget your parents,” she says, “You know what’s happening tonight.”

He chuckles at how quickly she changes the topic, “No, what’s happening tonight?”

“Dahyun is having a party, a small gathering just to welcome the first day of summer. So why don’t you join us?”

 “I don’t know…I don’t feel like partying.”

“Oh, come on,” she pleads, “It’s only going to be like me, Dahyun, Jungkook, and some of Dahyun’s friends.”

“Jungkook?” he asks, surprised. Everyone in the group knew Jungkook was not much of a social person.

“Yes, surprising I know, but he was a lot easier to convince than you right now.”

“Okay,” he says, “I’ll go, only because I am a lot more social than Jungkook.”

They both laugh.

….

“Where is he anyway?”

“He went to buy us something for lunch,” she replies. “So, you are coming right?”

“Yes,” he replies, “I am glad my parents canceled, now I can spend the summer drinking and partying.”

“Hey!” she says, patting his shoulder, “That’s the spirit. I heard Dahyun is bringing a cute friend.”

"No match-making please." 

"Okay," she says, laughing, as a customer walks in.

***

It was the night of the party or small gathering as Mina put it. Unlike him, Mina and Dahyun were both born and raised in Los Angeles. They lived together in an apartment close to UCLA while he lived in the dorms. His parents wanted to him to live in an apartment, separate from the other kids but he wanted to enjoy an authentic college experience. And that meant living with other people, and so far, he loved it. He met so many wonderful people, and some of them even became his closest friends.

Mina and he used to live on the same floor when they were freshmen. He met Taehyung, who was his roommate.  He also met Jungkook, a former classmate from high school, both from Busan. He found it strange at how they both ended up at UCLA. They never spoke in high school.

Dahyun answered the door, she had on bright lipstick and eye shadow and her copper blond hair were long and curled. She was beautiful. He smiles, handing the box of chocolates, he bought on my way to her apartment. He could hear faint chattering and music. Looks like he was the last one to arrive.

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you,” she says, “You look handsome as always.”  She guides him to where everyone was.

“Hey guys!” he says.

“Hey!” everyone greeted back.

Everyone was sitting on the floor in the living room, four packs of pizzas were on the table, with tortilla chips and salsa and a six-pack of Bud Light.

“Alright Jimin, meet Sarah, Tommy, and Yoongi, and guys meet Jimin.”

“Hey,” he says.

“Hey,” they reply.

“Alright let’s get this party started!” shouts Dahyun, and everyone cheered and clapped.

 

The party was going great, and everyone was having fun, some games were played, beer pongs, charades and just a bunch of drinking games and pictures were taken. Two boxes of empty pizzas laid on the floor with empty bottles of beer.

 

“Alright, let’s play another game,” says Sarah, one of Dahyun’s friends.

“What game?”

“The classic spin the bottle of course,” she says.

 

Everyone else groans and whine, guess it was as classic as it was a cliché. Every party he ever went to, spin the bottle was always played, and he didn’t mind it, but he understood why everyone was not happy about it. It is bound to be boring with only six people. But what’s a party without spin the bottle?

 

“But this time, you have to kiss for a whole minute,” adds Yoongi, “Must as well make it fun.”

“That’s too long, how about thirty seconds?” says Dahyun.

“Okay, thirty seconds then.”

 

Despite the whining, everyone still gathered around in a circle, exchanging glances. He was positive, everyone was wondering who they were gonna get to kiss. They were all friends, so it was not a big deal, but friends also do not kiss for reason, so he had a feeling this game was not a good idea. For two reasons, aside from himself, Jungkook and Yoongi everyone else was coupled up. Dahyun with Mina, and Sarah with Tommy.

As for him, he was not really looking to lock lips with anyone, not tonight anyway. But how bad could it? They are all friends.  The game is simple- someone spins the bottle and must kiss the person to whom the bottle points when it stops.

 

“Everyone ready?” said Sarah, holding the bottle. She spins the bottle and everyone’s eyes followed it, heart pounding and anticipating who the first victim is. He holds my breath, it was a cliché game but still fun to play.

The bottle, fortunately, pointed to Tommy, her boyfriend. Lucky her. Smiling, they both crawled over to each other, locking lips, as everyone else counts down. They all clapped and hooted.

Then it was Tommy’s turn to spin the bottle.

 

The game went on for several minutes, so far, Jimin only kissed Dahyun. They both laughed about it, her being lesbian and him being gay. Then, it was Jungkook’s turn, and so far, Jimin had completely forgotten he was at the party. He never said a word, this whole time or maybe he never said a word to him.  

Once again, the bottle stopped. Jimin’s heart sunk to his stomach as he stares at the bottle tip pointing at him. As usual, everyone cheered, chanting for them to kiss. Everyone except the two of them. 

They stared at each other, awkwardly. Jungkook’s large bright brown eyes smiled at him.  Jimin tried to return his smile but failed.

His heart was pounding in his chest. He knew this was a bad idea. Everyone here was friends but Jungkook is Taehyung’s boyfriend. That was a big deal because Taehyung is his best friend aside from Mina.

The three of them, Mina, Taehyung and he have been friends since they met at orientation.  And friends do not kiss their friend’s boyfriend. No matter what. Those are the rules. But then again, He also kissed Dahyun and she is dating Mina.  Is it because she is a lesbian, and he is gay? It had to be, or else why would he be worried about kissing Jungkook.

“Come on you two!” exclaims Mina, laughing, while everyone else joined in. Jimin glares at her. How can she encourage this?

“Do we have to?” he asks, softly.

“Yes, now come on, don’t spoil the game, we are all friends,” adds Sarah. “Do you care Jungkook?”

“Not really, it’s just a game,” he replies. Jimin glances at him. His usual cool persona annoyed him.  

Great the one time he speaks, he throws me under the bus. Jimin didn’t like the looks everyone was giving him, so he had no choice but to give in.

“Fine.”

“Alright, let’s get it you two,” says Sarah clapping, and everyone joined in.

 

They sat kneeling in front of each other, knees touching, just barely.  For some reason, Jimin noticed he was highly aware of his knees against mine. Actually, he was aware of everything- Jungkook’s warmth, his cologne which was breathtaking. His eyes scanned his face, noticing the small moles on his face. There was one between his eyes, one on his nose and one under his lip. He is really handsome. Like those really good looking Korean artists.

It dawned on him that he has actually never looked at him before, not in high school and defiantly not over the six months that Taehyung and he started dating. He gulps. Sweat was starting to form in the palm of his hands. A soft nervous chuckle escapes his mouth.

“Any day now guys,” urges Dahyun.

Jimin grabs his bottle of beer that was beside him and takes a sip. Let’s get this over with.

 

Jimin sighs, and leans towards him, and following his lead, Jungkook does the same. Jungkook’s breath felt warm on his face, smelling sweet of tortilla chips, pizza, and beer.​​​​​​​

Without hesitating he closes his eyes, his lips touched Jungkook’s, pressing gently. Every nerve in his mouth tingled. Then the countdown started.

The kiss began slow and awkward but it felt a warm, as a heady sensation that spreads like molasses through his body. It seemed the kiss got intense with each count, and Jimin could no longer hear the voices, and laughter’s coming from the others. All he could hear was his heart that flattered like a bird in a cage, pounding loud in his ears.

Jimin’s lips were moving against his, his mouth pressing harder than that first time. He reached up and slipped his arms around Jungkook’s shoulders fearing that he might tip over backward, and Jungkook cupped his face with his hands. Everything tingled. Jimin could barely breathe. His chest felt on overload.

 

Jungkook pulled back abruptly before the others reach thirty seconds. The smile had faded from his mouth. His face was red, as red as Jimin. Breathless. Jungkook’ s eyes desperately searched his, trying to understand what just happened. All eyes were on them. Silence filled the room.

It was as if time had frozen. Words left Jimin. His mind was blank and his eyes wide as he stared at his friends in horror and embarrassment. How could he kiss Jungkook like that?

 !

“Okay,” says Dahyun, breaking the uneasy tension in the atmosphere “Um, it’s your turn to spin the bottle again Jimin.”

Jimin exhales. Jungkook moves back to his spot. And the game resumes, like nothing happened, except it did.

Deep inside Jimin, something was stirred. He has had his share of relationships and hooks, what college student hasn’t but this was new. It was a new feeling. Not of a friendship kind, or a the awkward, I just made out with my best friend’s boyfriend kind of feeling, it was not even guilt.

It was not like anything, he has ever experienced. This feeling was stranger, it made his heart dance in his chest and butterflies swarm in his belly. It made his knees weak.

The party went on, and everything was forgotten, as everyone danced, even Jungkook. For the rest of the night, Jimin pretended to have fun, but inside his head, he could forget the sensation of his lips touching Jungkook’s. He found himself glancing at him, as he danced with Dahyun as nothing happened.

He turns back to Mina, who was holding his hands dancing. Just forget about it. It was just a game, it means nothing.

Jimin glances over at Jungkook once more, surprised to see him looking at him. He gives him a soft smile, and Jungkook returns his smile, averting his gaze, laughing with Dahyun.