Chapter 5: Jealousy

If We Were A Season (Story Inspired)

Another day have passed, it’s now lunch break. All the students went to the cafeteria to eat. 

Except Minju, who is still in the classroom, alone. Minju kept thinking about “what if my dad is cheating on us?” It heavily affects her and makes her feel upset.  

”Minju-ah.” 

Minju saw Chaeyeon walking towards her with a hand full of foods. Chaeyeon gives it to Minju but she don’t have an appetite to eat at all.

Chaeyeon seats in front of Minju.

“Kim Minju? Why are you skipping your meal? It’s not like you.” Chaeyeon asked.

“You always whine that you’re hungry in the afternoon.” Chaeyeon added.

“Why did you buy this?” Minju asked.

”Drink it, or else I’m going to take it.”  Chaeyeon gives her an apple juice, ignoring Minju’s question.

But Minju wants the chocolate milk drink that Chaeyeon is drinking.

Chaeyeon saw Minju looking at her drink so she gave it to her.

”Thank you, unnie.” Minju thankfully said.

Chaeyeon smiled at her.

Suddenly, Yujin appears.

”Minju.”  Yujin calls.

They all turn their heads to Yujin and Chaeyeon who is giving a cold glare.

”i need to make a request for gym clothes. Can you help?” Yujin asked.

“Oh..sure-

Minju didn’t have the time to stand up when Chaeyeon grabs her to seat down again. 

Chaeyeon stands up and look at Yujin with a smirk.

”You need to see the P.E teacher right? Follow me.” Chaeyeon said.

”No, i asked Minju.” Yujin said, looking at Minju.

Minju is still looking at them confused.

Then Chaeyeon fakes a laugh and places her arm around Yujin’s shoulders. 

“I need to go to the teachers’ room anyway.”  Chaeyeon said, with a fake smile to Yujin. 

Yujin didn’t have the chance to ask Minju since Chaeyeon is already pulling her to the teacher’s room. 

”What has happened?”  Minju asked with a confused expression.

After school, Chaeyeon and Minju immediately went to a small basketball field. Minju prepares to accomplish the semester goal that she had written on her assessment paper. 

“Minju-ah.”  Chaeyeon calls.

”Yeah?” Minju replied, looking at Chaeyeon.

”Well....you know, Ahn Yujin. Are you close with her now?” Chaeyeon asked with jealousy on her voice. 

“No, why?” Minju replied.

”Then why does she keep calling Minju’s name? I’m going to kill her.” Chaeyeon said quietly to herself.

“What?” Minju asked.

”Nothing, just go ahead.” Chaeyeon said.

Minju picks up the ball and is now ready to throw when she suddenly asked something to Chaeyeon.

”Unnie, what did you write for the social studies assessment?” Minju asked curiously.

Huh? Oh...Just start.” Chaeyeon nervously replied.

“You are making me even more curious. Aren’t you going to tell me?” Minju questioned.

“Now that you’re curious, I don’t feel like telling you.” Chaeyeon said while giggling. 

“Fine, I’m sure it’s something petty.” Minju said with a pout.

Go now.” Chaeyeon said focusing on the camera that is filming Minju.

Minju looks at Chaeyeon with a confused look, then begans to throw hoops but fails miserably.

And Chaeyeon, who is busy admiring her from afar.

After Minju gaves up on shooting hoops, the two walks back home.

”This is ridiculous, I didn’t even score one goal.” Minju said looking disappointed.

”If I don’t get into college of education, I’m going to kill the P.E teacher.” Minju continues.

You hate elementary school kids, why college of education? And Seoul National University of Education?” Chaeyeon asked.

Why go to Seoul?” Chaeyeon said, looking hurt.

”I want to go to Seoul because I’m extremely smart.” Minju replied, smiling at her.

Who are you to stop me?” Minju added.

Minju’s words hurts Chaeyeon so much.

So she avoided her eyes to Minju. 

“Anyway, you don’t suit being a teacher.” Chaeyeon said.

”That’s not important, i want to get a job, fulfill my parents’ wish.” Minju replied. 

“Want to do this tomorrow?” Chaeyeon asked with hope in her eyes.

“I’m meeting someone tomorrow.” Minju said.

”With who?” Chaeyeon asked with a disappointed and jealousy look.

“Someone you don’t know.” Minju replied.

”Hey, i know all of your friends.” Chaeyeon said.

”So this is how it feels, you’re curious and I don’t feel like telling you.” Minju said teasing Chaeyeon.

Chaeyeon grabs the ball to Minju’s hands fastly and hit Minju with it playfully.

Chaeyeon begans to run away.

”Lee Chaeyeon! I’m going to kill you!” Minju said while chasing her.