'Til Our Next Schedule

'Til Our Next Schedule

April 9, 2017

Cheng Xiao’s POV

Finally! After a year, I got to go back to China and visit my home. I debuted last year with WJSN and for the whole year, my schedule was jam-packed. Even though it is tiring, I never complained because this is the job that I chose and I am happy that many people in South Korea know me. It’s also a good way of promoting my group to the public so that we will get known.

Today, I’m here at Shenzen to attend a rehearsal for the 17th Chinese Music Awards. I just arrived at the venue fresh from the airport and Yibo is practicing his part at the stage, dancing to The Weeknd’s The Hills. I was waiting at the side of the stage watching him dance. “He’s a really good dancer.” I thought while observing him. During my trainee days, Yibo was popular at the company as the best dancer and a lot of girls like him. Right now, his group wasn’t promoting in Korea and he’s active here in China so it’s been a while since we’ve seen each other.

After a while the choreographer called me. “Cheng Xiao, this is the part when you are going to dance with Yibo. Come here and try it out.” She instructed me. Although I know the steps, I didn’t have the opportunity to practice with him because I just arrived from Korea. “Okay. I’ll try it out.” I replied and went to the stage. I saw Yibo and gave him a smile to greet him. “Hi. Your performance is great.” I complimented him. “Thank you. You just arrived from Korea?” He asked. “Yes. I just came from the airport.” I said. The talk didn’t continue because the rehearsal started.

The music started to play and he performed his part where he was supposed to kneel. Then, I started to dance while approaching his direction and there was a part where I was supposed to hold his chin but I didn’t and throughout the dance, we aren’t looking at each other. The choreographer called us out. “Cheng Xiao, Yibo, you guys should look at each other and Cheng Xiao, you should touch his chin. You guys should do it so that the performance will look good.” The dance teacher said.

“I want to give the best performance. But I’m afraid that the fans might get angry if I touch him.” I said because I know that female fans can be possessive and they might bash me if I do skinship with Yibo. “I didn’t look at Cheng Xiao because if we look at each other, my fans might get angry at her.” Yibo also explained. I was relieved that the both of us have the same thoughts and we don’t want to be bashed. After hearing our concerns, the choreographer then agreed that we will keep contact as little as possible.

After rehearsing with Yibo, it was then my turn to rehearse for my part. The steps exhibited my flexibility and although I’m uncomfortable because I’m not used to the y concept, I really gave my best because this will be my first solo schedule here in China.

Yibo’s POV

I was practicing for my part in tonight’s event and I’m satisfied with my practice so far. When my solo part ended, the choreographer called Cheng Xiao. “Cheng Xiao, this is the part when you are going to dance with Yibo. Come here and try it out.” Since Cheng Xiao just came from Korea, we didn’t had the opportunity to practice and today’s the time when we can practice together. 

Cheng Xiao went up to the stage and when she saw me, she gave me a smile. “Hi. Your performance is great.” She told me. I was flattered so I said “Thank you. You just arrived from Korea?” I asked her. “Yes. I just came from the airport.” She replied. The talk didn’t continue because the rehearsal started.

The music started to play and I performed the part where I was kneeling. Then, Cheng Xiao danced approaching my direction and there was a part where she was supposed to hold my chin but she didn’t and throughout the dance, we aren’t looking at each other. The choreographer called us out. “Cheng Xiao, Yibo, you guys should look at each other and Cheng Xiao, you should touch his chin. You guys should do it so that the performance will look good.” The dance teacher said to us.

“I want to give the best performance. But I’m afraid that the fans might get angry if I touch him.” Cheng Xiao reasoned. “I didn’t look at Cheng Xiao because if we look at each other, my fans might get angry at her.” I also explained because I know how possessive my fans can get and I don’t want Cheng Xiao to be bashed by them. The both of us were trying to be cautious because if the fans saw it, they might get angry. After hearing our concerns, the choreographer then agreed that we will keep contact as little as possible. The rehearsal went well and my part was done. I was resting at the side of the stage and watching Cheng Xiao’s rehearsal. I saw her exhibit her flexibility and she also did a tumbling.

I was surprised to see that she was going to dance to y songs of Tinashe and Beyonce. I know that WJSN had an innocent concept and isn’t she too young to have this concept? She’s a year younger than me. I guess she didn’t have a choice since the company decides what she should dance or not.

Cheng Xiao’s rehearsals ended and we were asked to practice have the technical rehearsals of the whole performance with the cameras. I danced my part, Cheng Xiao danced with me, I exited and Cheng Xiao danced her part. The rehearsal was a success. “Thank you for your hardwork.” Cheng Xiao and I said and bowed to the staffs. The managers guided us to the car because we need to go back to the hotel to get ourselves fixed.

Cheng Xiao’s POV

At the car, Yibo and I sat at the back while his manager drove and my manager sat at the front seat. “It’s been a while since we saw each other, how are you?” I asked Yibo to break the ice.  I’m fine. How about you? Aren’t you tired?” He asked. “I’m okay but I’m a little bit tired because I wasn’t able to take a break after arriving.” I told him.

“By the way, I watch your show Day Day Up.” I added. He laughed and said “I’m boring right?” I laughed and said “No. Actually sometimes, you’re hilarious. I feel bad for the girls because they said that you ignore them. I know you’re not a snob.” I said when I recalled Zuer’s story about Yibo.

“I guess they’re not used to people like me who doesn’t talk too much and those people and I are not close that’s why I don’t talk that much. You know me.” He explained. “I know. I remember during our trainee days, you were so quiet and I really thought that you were a serious and quiet guy and I didn’t believe it when the Wenhan and Yixuan tells me that you are noisy. But after a while, we became close and I discovered that you are like this.” I explained while laughing.

“I’m like what?” He asked. “You are easily afraid of horror stuffs hahaha. I really didn’t expect that. I really thought you are tough and nothing could scared you.” I said while laughing. Then, I saw Yibo widened his eyes and denied “I’m not afraid.” “Really? Wenhan and Yixuan said that you turn on the lights if you sleep alone. I know a lot stuffs.” I . “That’s true Cheng Xiao. I also observed Yibo and know that he’s a scaredy cat.” His manager added and we laughed. Yibo felt betrayed and tried to defend his self but his manager keeps on exposing him and my manager and me laughed at the two.

People know Yibo as cold and unapproachable but Yibo and I are friends off cam.  Although it seems that we don’t talk in public, we are pretty close because we trained together in Korea and he used to be Mei Qi’s boyfriend. We also became close because I danced with them during Luv Again promotions.

The car ride was over and we went to our respective rooms and got dressed and we had our make ups done. I wore a light pink gown and I took some photos using my manager’s phone and sent it to my manager in Korea so that she could show it to the members.

I went to the car and saw the Yuehua boys and Yibo there. I sat beside Yibo and the managers told us what we should do during the awarding. “Cheng Xiao, you will walk at the red carpet with the Yuehua boys. Yibo and Cheng Xiao, you guys are seatmates during the event but you shouldn’t talk to each other. We don’t want your fans to get angry. As much as possible, do not interact with each other.” My manager reminded us. “Yes. I understand. You don’t need to remind us. We always do this.” I assured her. “And the silent treatment begins.” Yibo commented.

17th Chinese Music Awards

Cheng Xiao’s POV

The red carpet was done and I’m sitting beside Yibo and although I’m bored, I didn’t talk to him. Both of us were avoiding each other’s gaze. When we were called to receive an award, I was so happy and nervous at the same time. We just interacted through hand gestures and we made sure there are gaps between us. Yibo gave his speech and he was so confident. When it was my time to give my thank you speech, I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I briefly paused but thankfully, I was able to end my speech well. This award is memorable because I was awarded at my hometown.

It was time for our performance and I was so nervous. Yibo started dancing and you can hear the scream of his fans while he was performing. I was at the side watching him dance and he danced perfectly just like the rehearsals earlier. I entered the stage and our mini dance turned out good even though we just practiced it earlier. My part came and thankfully I danced well and made no mistakes. I was happy that my first solo activity in China ended well. My dance number ended and I went to the side of the stage for exit.

Yibo’s POV

During the whole event, Cheng Xiao and I didn’t talk so that no one will get angry. When we were announced as a recipient of the award, I was so thankful because my hardwork was acknowledged. I just interacted with Cheng Xiao through hand gestures and we made sure there are gaps between us. I gave my speech and luckily I didn’t make any mistake. When Cheng Xiao gave her thank you speech, I can see that she was emotional and she paused briefly but she was able to finish her speech.

We performed our dance. My part was executed well and when Cheng Xiao came in, I can  hear the cheers of the audience. After my part, I went to the side and stayed there and I watched Cheng Xiao perform. I can hear the audience wow every time Cheng Xiao exhibits her flexibility. While she was performing, I heard some of the guys from the crew talking. “She’s so y.” “She’s so pretty.” “I wanna get her number.” “I’m gonna approach her when she comes down here.” “I wanna take a photo with her.” “I wanna hold her hand. So later when she comes down, I’ll pretend to brush my hand against hers.”  I glared at them and felt protective so I planned to protect Cheng Xiao from them later. Cheng Xiao’s performance ended and she went to the side. “Xiaoxiao!” I called her. She saw me and went to my direction. “Follow me.” I told her and held her wrist. Cheng Xiao tried to remove her hands and said “ Someone might see us.” “Just trust me. It’s dark and no one can see us.” I said to reassure her. I was at her left side and the wall was at her right side. I didn’t let those guys have the opportunity to take advantage of her. We went to our dressing room to get our make-up fixed. Then, we took a photo with the Yuehua boys.

“Aye. You guys look like a family. Cheng Xiao’s the mother, Yibo’s the father and the boys are your kids.” The managers commented while laughing. “What nonsense is that? We look so young to be parents.” Cheng Xiao said and laughed. “Yeah and you can notice that the boys’ ages are close so there’s no way they are siblings.” I added and laughed at their ridiculous comment. “By the way, Yibo and Cheng Xiao, you two look good together.” Yuehua boys manager commented and his artists also agreed. “Yes. You two look good together.” The boys said. “What? No. Stop that. We’re just friends.” Cheng Xiao said and I can see that she’s feeling a little awkward with the topic. “Hey. Stop teasing us. We’re friends.”  I also added.

Cheng Xiao’s POV

The event finally ended and Yibo and I rode the same car on the way back to the hotel because the Yuehua boys left earlier because of curfew for the underage. On the car, we talked about random stuffs. “I saw that you joined the Rhythmic Gymnastics in ISAC. You were good.” Yibo said. “Thank you. I achieved it through hardwork. I practiced for a month and my body ached but I did it for my group. I was happy that I helped WJSN gained popularity.” I said. “I heard you have the most number of schedule out of the members. Isn’t it tiring?” Yibo asked. “Yes it is tiring but I’m doing this for WJSN. I chose this career so I must endured all the hardships.” I said.

“But hey, aren’t you tired too? You keep going back and forth to Changsha for Day Day Up.” I asked because I know he’s busy too. “Yes but like you said, we must endure this.” He said. “Hey you shouldn’t plagiarize. Invent your own answer.” I . “My brain is not working and I like that answer.” Yibo answered.

“By the way, why did you wait for me earlier at the side of the stage?” I asked him because I remembered that he held my wrist earlier. “Oh. That? Some guys wanted to do something to you earlier so I stayed to protect you. If you are alone, you might not be able to say no.” He explained and I feel touched. Then I said “Thank you for taking care of me tonight.” “You’re welcome. That’s what friends are for.” Yibo answered.

I was so tired because I came straight from Korea to the rehearsals to the event so I fell asleep during the car ride. When I woke up, I noticed that I was leaning on Yibo’s shoulders and my heart skipped a beat because I was embarrassed. “I’m so sorry. I was so tired, I feel asleep at your shoulders. Does it hurt?” I asked. “No it’s fine. I actually placed your head on my shoulders because your position looked uncomfortable.” He answered. E answered

 

We arrived at the hotel and I was on the way to my room when Yibo asked. “By the way, do you have a phone?” “Not yet. The company will give it to us next month. Why?” I answered. “Nothing. I just wanted to check if I could contact you, Xuanyi and Mei Qi.” He said.

I know that he just said that he want to contact the 3 members but in reality he wants to talk to Mei Qi. The two of them broke up because the company opposed and they were forced to chose between love or career.

I liked him since I was a trainee and no one knew. Then he and Mei Qi became a couple and although I was hurt, I supported them. Now, I’m contented of being his friend although I like him. I don’t want to ruin my friendship between the both of them. I’m just happy that we are close.

We walked to our rooms and I told him “I’m leaving at 6AM tomorrow so we night not be able to see each other. Thank you for tonight. Bye Yibo.” Then I hugged him. He hugged me back and said “Have a safe trip. Thank you also for tonight. Good night Cheng Xiao.” We parted ways and I looked at him as he walks towards his room. “Bye Yibo. ‘Til our next schedule.” I told myself.