Dead Inside

Something Human

Your skin feels warm to caress
I see magic in your eyes
On the outside you're ablaze and alive
But you're dead inside‘

 

The alarm buzzes once, twice.

The loud sound pierces through the air successfully waking Chanyeol up. Shutting off the device, he groggily sits up on his bed. He reminds himself that he needs to freshen up, make something for breakfast and eat it, get dressed and then leave for work which is his everyday morning routine nothing out of the new, but he stalls because today is different.

He remembers the events from last night. The android with conscience. Sehun. 

Chanyeol quickly removes his blanket and rushes to the living room. What if last night was a part of his imagination?

It isn’t.

Sehun is standing in front of the window, his back to Chanyeol. A tiny part of Chanyeol is relieved he isn’t sure why. 

“Good morning” Sehun turns around to face him. He is bathed in the bright sunlight pouring directly from the window, his eyes reflecting back the hue. Chanyeol notices his defined features which he had missed out yesterday. Probably all androids are made this way, pleasing to look at. Sehun isn’t different Chanyeol tells himself.

“Yah, Morning” he greets back after a few seconds snapping out of his thoughts.

“Sorry I should have left like I promised but I wanted to meet you before I go so I was waiting for you wake up” Sehun says thoughtfully. 

“Thank you for everything, you saved me yesterday when you didn’t have to. You let me stay at your place after what I told you about me, I really am thankful to you”

“I really didn’t do anything” Chanyeol mumbles awkwardly. All he did was provide a charger and laptop it didn’t exactly count as saving in his opinion.

Sehun comes up to him crossing the room and Chanyeol’s hand immediately goes to his hair, he runs his fingers through his bed hair trying to make himself look presentable and he isn’t sure why suddenly he feels  concerned about his appearance. 

It’s not like the android cares how he looks anyway. 

“You could have just handed me over to the police and got over it. But you didn’t. Father told us that inspite of human beings co-existing with androids they always looked down on us because at the end of the day we are just machines to ease their life that is why he never allowed us to go near any humans. But you, you are not like that you helped me, you treated me nicely” Sehun speaks with diligence, his lips curving into a genuine smile. 

“I did shout at you though” Chanyeol replies meekly after a few seconds unable to come up with any other comeback. He had never thought from their point of view he never did too, but right now he realises that Androids could also have reasons to dislike humans. He himself had seen so many owners treating their androids poorly but then again those don’t have the ability to differentiate between good and bad but Sehun has. 

Sehun lets out a small chuckle, his eyes turn into crescents like moon, he appears younger and the smile is pure and unguarded. For a second Chanyeol forgets to breath.  

But he quickly regains and scolds himself, It’s obviously simulated. Technology can do wonders these days. 

“I cooked you breakfast since I had nothing to do and also you didn’t eat anything last night. It’s time for me to leave, I don’t want to bother you anymore by extending my stay, thank you again” Sehun stretches his hand out to Chanyeol his eyes looking straight at him with a soft gaze. 

Chanyeol had always managed to avoid touching any one of them. He didn’t want to come in contact with the synthetic skin like it would burn his own. But right now as if on autopilot he takes Sehun’s hand in his own shaking limply, his hands are warmer against Chanyeol’s. 

“Where will you go?” 

“I don’t know, I am not sure. Il have to find some place to hide before I run out of charge” Sehun replies, eyes downcast. 

Chanyeol notices that he is still holding Sehun’s hand, embarrassed he immediately lets go. He can feel his ears heating up. 

“Il be fine, take care Chanyeol” Sehun reassures him with a smile and turns around to pick up his jacket from the table. 

Chanyeol knows at that very moment he has to make a decision, and quickly before he changes his mind, before his rationality takes over. His brain advices him to let Sehun go which is what anyone should do. He isn’t his owner and people aren’t allowed to keep someone else’s Android with them. If the word gets out he will be charged with theft. To make the matters worse if the weight of what Sehun said is grave, if some kind of government organisation is  looking for him then letting him stay means inviting actual threat. 

But his heart says otherwise. humanity Chanyeol curses inwardly. 

“This neighborhood is actually safe because androids aren’t allowed here” he blurts out of nowhere. 

Sehun nods his head agreeing, “Yes i know and that is why I should leave as fast as I can otherwise you might be in dire trouble because of me” 

Chanyeol shakes his head vigorously, “No no that’s not what I meant”

Sehun stares at him quizzically. 

Aren’t they built super smart to grasp things quickly? Chanyeol barely conceals an eye roll. 

“What I mean is you will be safe here since no one will be suspicious, you can stay here for a few days until you find a place to go” 

Chanyeol wants bite back his words, he knows he is probably going to regret this at some point of time but right now all he can focus on is the range of expressions changing on Sehun’s face, he goes from looking confused to conflicted like he is having a hard time believing what Chanyeol just uttered. 

“Y-you want me to stay?” Sehun asks in awe. 

Chanyeol fidgets with his fingers hesitatingly, he nods his head “Yah for now you can stay” 

 “Chanyeol there are dangerous people out there looking for me, I don’t want to pull you into this absolute mess more than I already have. You have no liability, I know you are asking me to stay because you think that I won’t make it. I am touched with your generosity but you really don’t have to burden yourself”

“Do you always speak like this?” 

Sehun knits his eyebrows together, “Is that all you picked up from what I just said?” 

“I don’t know you talk like...” Chanyeol trails of not able to find a proper term. 

“A robot?” Sehun cuts him of with an amused look. 

“I was about to say out of a Teleprompter but yah that too” Chanyeol offers with a shrug. 

Sehun throws his head back laughing and Chanyeol finds himself smiling too. It’s weird how very humanlike his laugh is. 

Sehun fixes his expression into a relaxed one, “Chanyeol Il leave as soon as I find another place, and I promise I will in no way cause in disruption to your life” he his lips once and then adds, “I have said it again but I really am thankful to you” 

“It’s alright” Chanyeol knows he isn’t the most eloquent but right now he slaps himself because it seems he has really exhausted his vocabulary. 

Glancing at the wall clock he realises he is getting really late for work, his boss isn’t the most understanding person out there. 

“I have to get ready i have to go to work” he isn’t sure if is telling that to Sehun or reminding himself. 

“You should eat first” 

Sehun doesn’t wait he goes to the kitchen and walks out with a plate of food in hand. Chanyeol isn’t even the slightest surprised that it’s prepared perfectly.

                                ***

Chanyeol watches Kai standing in the middle of the restaurant, eyes scanning the table arrangements. 

There is big luncheon today, everything needs to be precise and arranged to perfection. Who could be better than Kai to check the cutlery, crockery placement, the napkin folded neatly on the table in one quick look and not miss out even the tiniest imperfections. 

Kai suddenly lifts his head and smiles at Chanyeol, caught staring Chanyeol feels flustered and returns a small smile back, for the first time. 

Kai who obviously doesn’t register the difference in behaviour stares with his unblinking brown eyes for a second or two and goes back to his work. Chanyeol cant help but notice that there is nothing but programming flickering behind those eyes unlike Sehun’s which are expressive. 

He immediately dismisses the thought, why is he even thinking about him. 

“Baekhyun these are not arranged correctly” Kai says pointing his finger at the chairs. 

“What’s wrong with them?” Baekhyun enquires huffing, eyebrow furrowing. 

Chanyeol glances at his friend who he knows hates being criticised.

”Chairs should be 12 inches away from the table top, and these aren’t. The placement is wrong. You have to re-do it” Kai states matter of factly. 

Baekhyun throws his hands in the air, “Who cares Kai? The guests are just gonna rest their asses on the chair no one gives a about the geometry” 

Kai shakes his head, in disapproval “No the dimensions are wrong. Needs to be fixed before the lunch, and it’s not geometry it’s measurement, both are different” Kai corrects him in his usual calm modulated voice. 

Chanyeol can see Baekhyun trying his best not to throw a tantrum at the Android. It’s fun watching Baekhyun trying to convince Kai to get away from doing the extra work. When he fails to win over the stubborn Android he helplessly looks at Chanyeol, asking for help. 

“He is hot remember” Chanyeol winks at him and leaves a very scowling Baekhyun dealing with Kai behind. 

                                 ***