Unintended

Something Human

You could be my unintended
Choice to live my life extended

I'll be there as soon as I can
But I'm busy mending broken
Pieces of the life I had before’

 

 

Chanyeol leaves Sehun in the bedroom and walks back to his living room and an unsettling feeling sinks inside of him. He has agreed to help an android in a whim which is completely out of character and his morals. This isn’t so much more different than feeding stray cats he is now harbouring a runaway AI with some unknown motive.

His own stomach growls at the moment reminding himself that he needs some charging too. Chanyeol gingerly goes to his tiny kitchen, and decides to make ramyum which is basically his daily supplement. After serving food the whole day he doesn’t feel like cooking for himself when he comes back home.

While the water boils, dilly-dallying he peeks inside the bedroom and Sehun is still standing exactly how he had left him half an hour ago. He guesses that most of his power is probably diminished because usually charging doesn’t take so long.

After cooking the ramyun, he settles himself back on his couch, placing the bowl on the coffee table in front of him. But he is very aware of the fact that he isn’t alone in the house like usual which makes him feel uneasy. Chanyeol realises he hasn’t even had time change his clothes.

“Am all charged up, thank you”

The voice brings him back from his thoughts, Chanyeol looks up to find Sehun standing tall a few feet away. Chanyeol isn’t sure but he looks visibly brighter and better than before. His voice sounds a bit livelier too.

“Ohh...you can sit I guess” Chanyeol mumbles shifting away to the end of the couch making space for Sehun to sit out of courtesy. 

Sehun lifts his palm shaking it in dismissal, “It’s alright, I don’t need to sit. I can stand”

Right.

“Soo...Who are coming after you and why?”

Sehun’s gaze immediately hardens at the question, then he breathes out a deep sigh. There is something eerily human about the gesture.

“The government is after me” stating Sehun halts and stares at Chanyeol who looks back at him questioningly, his lips he continues, “You see am not like the other androids...I am different”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes at that, “Seems like your owner forgot to programme modesty in you, you sound like my ex who said the same thing except the android part” Chanyeol doesn’t know why he said it but he just did and he internally cringes at himself not that Sehun has any ability to judge him.

Sehun quirks his eyebrow slightly, then he walks back to him. Chanyeol notices how seamlessly he moves almost like it takes no effort. The couch dips as he sits down on the edge of it on the other side.

Sehun sits erect without leaning, hands splayed on his lap, his fingers are long and thin, Chanyeol’s eyes automatically falls on the ring adorning on his index finger.

“Chanyeol i don’t know about your ex, but I really am different” Sehun waits like he is thinking of what to say next but all Chanyeol can focus is how smoothly his own name rolls of Sehun’s tongue.

“I have a conscience unlike other AI’s that you have seen before”

“What?” Chanyeol asks perplexed, frowning.

“I have a sense of right and wrong, I can do things on my own. I don’t need to take orders from anyone. Father made us as the prototype of the first Androids with freewill. That’s why he kept us hidden because the government didn’t approve of his experiment. They said that if we have a mind of our own we would end up ruling over humans—“

“What the ! This is unbelievable” Chanyeol exclaims in shock. He clumsily gets up from his seat as Sehun’s words start registering in his brain, “You said you couldn’t harm anyone, but if you have a free will you can do anything you want isn’t it? You lied to me” Chanyeol’s voice wavers, finger pointing towards Sehun. 

Sehun hangs his head in silence, then he slowly lifts his face up murmuring, “I am sorry I had no choice you were so afraid of me. I had to lie and make myself sound believable. But I can assure you, I have never harmed anyone in my life and i never will”

“How the should I believe you? Oh my god I let a robot in my house who could possibly kill me?” Chanyeol shouts to mask the fear that is creeping into him. He gapes at Sehun. Not only did he agree to let  an android stay over at his place but also a one that had a will of his own. The sane part of his brain screamed how much of a bad idea this is and what an absolute idiot he is. 

Sehun with a closed up expression silently stands up, Chanyeol thinks maybe this is it, maybe he will end up dead in hands of the thing he hates with every molecule of his being. It is definitely not the kinda death he has expected.

But Sehun doesn’t even take a step towards him instead he starts taking off his jacket, then he pulls the tshirt over his head. 

“Wait..why are you taking your clothes off? What that ? Chanyeol stutters looking away in shock and embarrassment. 

“Chanyeol look at me” Sehun insists. 

Chanyeol reluctantly glances at him and is partly relieved that he atleast has his jeans on. 

Sehun turns to his side and touches a particular spot on his waist with his finger, “This is my activation or de-power button, if you feel scared you can just deactivate me, just so know you helped me and I would never harm you” he asserts with a thoughtful smile without waiting for any reply he goes back to pick up his clothes from the couch.

Chanyeol just stands there not knowing what to say, he feels a little silly for throwing a sudden fit but it is alright to feel scared, he convinces himself. Not everyday does someone come in contact with an android who has a conscience. This is new even for him. Chanyeol dwindles on the thought that inspite of Sehun showing his one weakness that he could be deactivated if needed he was worth trusting or not. 

Sehun after dressing himself goes back to sitting on the couch exactly like before. 

“You should eat, your food is already cold”

Huh

Chanyeol had long forgotten about the ramyun, his appetite was gone. Too many things were happening and eating wasn’t definitely not a priority right now. 

As if nothing happened Sehun starts talking again “I wasn’t even at home when it happened, when I came back our house was in a complete mess and my father was laying dead. I guess they took my brothers and sisters with them. Which is worse than death” he says quietly looking down at his fingers, probably at his ring Chanyeol guesses. 

Chanyeol sits down on the couch distractedly, “What happens if they capture you?” He enquires knowing that the consequences won’t be pleasant a part of him feels curious. 

Sehun doesn’t reply right away, he ponders on it and then fixes his sharp eyes on Chanyeol’s face, “They will obviously download all my data and then either reset me back to factory settings and keep in a pod for the rest of my life or reprogram me to be like the other Androids either way Il be stuck like a rat in a box and I refuse to live like that. Our father created us to be free and gave his life to protect us I can’t let that go in vain” there is a determination and edge to his voice that Chanyeol can’t  help but admire even a little. 

Chanyeol just nods his head, all this new information pooling in his head is starting to weigh down on him. His human brain starts to feel tired processing everything that has been happening in a short time. 

As if sensing his fatigue Sehun speaks up suddenly, “You must be tired Chanyeol, it’s late and you should sleep, can you please give me your laptop and your tool box ? So I can fix my damages.”

“Y-yes, wait” Chanyeol picks up the bowl of his uneaten food and throws it on the trash can before he goes to fetch the things that Sehun had asked him. The whole time he asks himself as to why he is even bothering to help him? 

He places the required stuff along with the charging chord on the coffee table, not that Sehun had asked for but just in case he thinks “Here”

“Thank you and good night Chanyeol” saying he at once busies himself plugging in the laptop. As much as Chanyeol wants to know how he will fix himself up but he can feel his eyes almost drooping with sleep.

Chanyeol still lingers near the doorstep while Sehun types some codes on to the screen in inhumane speed, his eyes completely focused on the screen and face full of concentration.

“Sehun am sorry for your loss” Chanyeol whispers. He realises no one deserves to see their close ones dead not even machines. His logic sounds a little better in his head. 

Sehun at once his head to face Chanyeol, he stops typing as if not expecting to hear that from him. Blinking a few times he nods his head mouthing a thank you and goes back to looking at the screen.

Maybe it is just the faint glow of the laptop or Chanyeol’s sleep engulfed mind deceiving him but before going back to his bedroom he catches Sehun’s eyes glistening with tears. It is probably the latter because conscience or not Androids can’t cry they don’t have feelings, then definitely don’t.