The Dark Side

Something Human

‘I hail from the dark side
For all my life, I've been besieged
You'd be scared living with my despair
And if you could feel the things, I am able to feel
Break me out, break me out
Let me flee’

 

Chanyeol heaves a deep sigh before entering through the shabby back door of the kitchen. Another day in this god forsaken world that he can’t stand living in.

The cooks are already busy with washing the pots and pans, ignoring the loud clanking of the utensils he makes his way to the small locker room to change into his uniform. It is a dingy room with moldy walls. Just the sight of it makes Chanyeol want to quit his job. 

Chanyeol opens his locker after the second try, it is probably his lucky day since the rusty locker always takes at least 10 minutes to open. 

“Hey you are early”

Without even bothering to look up he very well knows who that cheery tone belongs to, the source of the voice is kind of the only reason that somehow makes it bearable for him to work here. 

The small blonde haired male skips two steps at a time and sits on the wooden bench across the room, smiling. 

“Why do you look so happy ?” Chanyeol asks while smoothing the creases of his uniform. There is absolutely no reason to be happy to work here literally none.

“I don’t know...it’s a nice morning I guess” Baekhyun replies with a shrug, his legs dangling in the air, body swaying along with some non existent music.

“It’s not like being grumpy all the time will change anything Yeol...this is our life now. Might as well make the best out of it, you should try to”

Chanyeol scoffs at that “Sorry if I can’t be a walking ray of sunshine first thing in the morning”

Baekhyun just sticks his tongue out in response like the adult he is.

After a few minutes, the rest of the workers started pouring in, filling the room with chatter. Chanyeol is dressed already, he stands in front of the mirror and fixes his hair trying to tune out his loud co-workers. 

“Lets go for a smoke” Baekhyun pokes his shoulder to get his attention.

Chanyeol glances at his watch, he shakes his head, “Nah we have shift soon”

Well Baekhyun isn’t the one to give up easily on anything. 

He reaches out and nuzzles Chanyeol’s already combed hair to annoy him. 

“Baekhyun stop” Chanyeol shoves his friend’s hand away, and goes back to fix his now ruined hair. 

“Cmon lets go, it will cheer you up please” Baekhyun grabs his wrist pulling him away from the mirror by jutting his lower lip at him. 

He looks like an overgrown toddler Chanyeol thinks. 

“Stop pouting, doesn’t suit you”

“But it definitely works since you are coming with me” 

Well technically he is being dragged forcefully but it is all the same, Baekhyun gets what he wants. Also a smoke sounds like a good idea, keeps his mind off the fact that he has work his off for the next 7 hours.

The back area of the restaurant is kind of an only escape place for the workers, the human ones at least. Leaning on the wall they both take drags from the cigarette, the smoke swirls around them like a whirl pool.

“What are you doing after work?” Baekhyun asks after a few seconds probably just to break the silence. 

Chanyeol opens his mouth to say that he will straight head home because after the shift he barely has any energy left, but is cut off by the figure standing in front of them. It is weird how they can just appear out of nowhere. 

“The shift is starting in the next 5 minutes, please get inside” his voice is mechanical and his face devoid of any expression.

Baekhyun wriggles his fingers in front of him, “Give us a few minutes Kai” he whines a little with a smile, Chanyeol rolls his eyes at that as if Baekhyun acting cute will even register with the damn machine.

Kai doesn’t even flinch, his unblinking eyes still fixed on them, “Mr Choi said no one should be late for the shift, and no is supposed to smoke here”

Chanyeol rakes his eyes over him, right from his hair to his shoes everything is just so perfect and nothing out of place. Just the sight of them angers him, the urge to punch his face makes his knuckles itch, but that would mean loosing his job for destruction of intellectual property. No matter how human like they appear they still are still machines owned by humans anyway.

”Go and tell Mr Choi we will be there when it’s time” Chanyeol blows a wisp of smoke directly onto Kai’s face. 

“I am sorry you are not allowed to smoke here” Kai repeats like a broken record. Reminds Chanyeol of the wind up toys he used to own as a kid. 

“ y’all droids” Chanyeol murmurs under his breath knowing very well that those things have super hearing power.

Kai slightly tilts his head to look at him through his brown eyes. There is obviously no speck of emotion in his face not like they have any to begin with which makes Chanyeol feel even more disgusted.

“Yeol stop” Baekhyun intervenes, then he immediately turns to the Android looking slightly apologetic, “We will be there in a minute, sorry Kai”

Nodding he leaves with a plastered smile to his face. 

“Why did you curse at him, it was unnecessary, he is just doing his job” Baekhyun quickly throws his remaining cigarette on the ground and crushes it with his shoe. For once he looks serious.

“You are going to take the robots side now? After what they did to us ?” Chanyeol asks scowling. 

“It’s not his fault. Also he can report you to our boss for indecent behaviour, you can lose your job” Baekhyun reasons. 

Chanyeol chuckles drily, “I already lost my job, and i work under ing Androids who run on batteries. They ruined everything and you know it” the irritation in his voice rising with each word. 

Not only did the restaurant he worked as a manager before replaced all their workers with these new inventions for more efficiency and cost cutting. Which was how most companies and businesses were starting to do. The AI industry was booming by supplying Androids who performed tasks in record time and obeyed every order unlike humans. 

Chanyeol had taken part in so many many protest rallies to stop this commercialising of robot usage. He had tried his best to fight for his own rights, his human rights but everything fell flat against the new wave of technology. He ended up doing what he was completely against, not only did he end up working for a low salary job and a demoted position but he also took orders from an android which made everything worse.

Right now his friend defending them is making his stomach knot. 

Eyeing Chanyeol’s hardened face and bad mood, Baekhyun spoke quietly “I used to be a professional photographer and one day they said that the Androids have better focus and take more accurate shots, and doesn’t throw tantrums at the models like me. Enraged I threw my camera at my senior and broke his nose, lost my license and ended up here”

There is a hint of sadness in his voice that causes Chanyeol look up at his friend with concern, for once he realises he isn’t the only one suffering, but somehow his friend is better at dealing with his resentment than him.

“I am sorry” he pats Baekhyun’s shoulder. 

Baekhyun shakes his head grinning, “It’s in the past anyway, I actually don’t mind working here, also what can I say Kai is hot”

Chanyeol’s eyes widens and he stares at his friend with an incredulous expression.

“I know you are creepy but this is too much. How can you find a machine hot?”

“What? I heard they have everything human like...you know what I mean” Baekhyun winks at him suggestively earning a shove from Chanyeol as they make their way to the restaurant laughing. 


                                  *** 

Chanyeol goes inside his apartment,it’s small and minimal. Most of the city is revamped and humans now live with the androids to make their life easier. Hence he had no choice but to move in the only few parts of Seoul which was still free of the robots and only occupied by humans, he was pretty sure that in a year or two Android free place won’t exist he would have to find some place else to say because in no way he would stay with them. Call him stubborn and rigid but he refuses to submit himself to the changing ways of the world. 

Without even bothering to switch on the living room light, he slumps down on the couch. His body groans in exhaustion. Nothing that can’t be fixed with a short nap, Chanyeol rests his head on the back rest of the couch and drifts to sleep. 

Chanyeol doesn’t know how many minutes passes but in his half awake state he hears shuffling noises coming from the inside of his house. He slowly opens his eyes and focuses on the direction of the sound which he realises is coming from his bedroom. The thought of a robber breaking in to steal something from his house is hard to believe since he barely owns anything worth taking the risk of robbing.

Chanyeol gets up from the couch, wobbling slightly in his sleepy stupor, He trudges towards his bedroom barefoot, trying to make as less sound as possible, it is probably the stray cat that he feeds sometimes. It isn’t the first time that the greedy cat has snuck inside his house and broken stuff in search for food. 

When he steps infront of the bedroom, inspite of the room being dark he can make out someone standing. Just the thought of a stranger and not a cat like he thought it will be inside his own bedroom makes his blood run cold and all the bravery he somehow had managed to muster up a few seconds ago vanishes. 

He is glad that his body hasn’t stopped functioning in fear, on reflex he switches on the bedroom light. As soon as the room illuminates he sees a guy standing in the middle of the room. He is tall almost close to his own height and lean. His inky black hair swept back, his thin pale face a contrast to the dark clothes he is dressed in. But what catches Chanyeol’s attention is the piercing gaze, he can't take his eyes off him as if he feeling drawn in.

“Who are you?” Chanyeol takes a step back stumbling, but surprisingly his voice sounds stable, “Why are you in my house?” 

The guy not once waveres his gaze away from him. Chanyeol notices a gash on his neck almost hidden behind the hood of his jacket, his clothes are also torn at some places, there are patches of  dirt sticking on them too. He has probably taken the back stairs and gotten through the window which is now wide open. Chanyeol curses himself for forgetting  to lock it before going to work. 

Chanyeol slowly inches to the corner of the room, there is an old baseball bat that he keeps just in case for emergency, and right now seems a pretty damn convinient time to have it with him. 

“Don’t, you don’t have to use it. I won’t harm you” the guy speaks in a low monotone voice. Eyes warily darting to the baseball bat and then back to Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol halts in his tracks, he stares at the stranger with surprise, “How did you know?”

“I noticed you glancing at it...I guessed” he answers quickly. 

“Why are you in my house?” Chanyeol repeats a little louder and sounds more nervous.

”I am sorry for entering, but I am in trouble” 

Suddenly remembering something Chanyeo’s entire body freezes, he recalls that the fire escape stairs has been broken since a week so the guy had to climb the pipes and use the window cornice to get in and he stays in the 4th floor. No human could climb that high. 

There is only one possibility - He isn’t a human. 

“W-who are you?” Chanyeol blurts out swallowing hard, fear flooding in his brain. He has heard some stories from his colleagues of few Androids malfunctioning and killing some people in Busan.

“You already know am an AI don’t you? but please don’t be scared Il mean no....I really need help” 

He takes a step forward and Chanyeol instinctively takes his cell phone out of his pocket with shaky fingers. 

“I-Il call the police, don’t come near me” as much as Chanyeol tries to sound threatening his voice falters and betrays him. 

The AI immediately raises his hand in the air in a defeated stance, eyes pleading “Okay I won’t, I promise, but don’t call the police. Police will hand me to them, they are already searching for me everywhere” 

Chanyeol knows normally the Androids can’t harm any human that’s how they are programmed but the possibility is still there. 

“Who are they? Why are they searching for you?” Chanyeol questions fidgeting, his back touches the wall behind as he steps backward. That leaves a safe distance between him and the android, it’s feels slightly safe. 

“It’s a long story” the AI pauses, then his gaze flickeres to the window once, “I am sorry i got inside your house without permission. There were people in all of the apartments below, I thought this was empty...since there weren’t any lights. I am running on minimum power...I need to charge myself otherwise my system will shutdown” he speaks calmly inspite of everything. 

Chanyeol think that isn’t a bad idea after all,He could get easily rid of him if it runs out of charge, but he has a few questions. How was an android running free? They weren’t allowed to be on their own anyway. He didn’t have much knowledge on the whole AI know how but as much as he knew there was something wrong about this one. 

“So you came here for power source?” Chanyeol asks with a bitter smile, he almost feels pity for them that no matter how advanced technology they posses they are still slaves and comeback to humans for help. 

He nods his head admittedly, And takes the hood of his jacket down, pointing at his neck, “I have some external damages too I need to fix, I need a laptop and some tools” 

“Why should I help you? Androids have done nothing but made us human beings feel useless. I despise each one of you” Chanyeol spat out, he doesn’t know how he gets the sudden surge of confidence but it definitely has something to do with the fact that he is forced to live a life because of them. 

He expects nothing but more stoic expression as a response to follow but to his surprise the AI’s face contorts a little, and there is something akin to hurt flashing over his eyes. 

They don’t feel hurt, they aren’t humans. Chanyeol corrects himself. 

“I am sorry” he replies genuinely, “I don’t expect you to understand but my father is dead. I don’t have anyone. Like I said there are people searching for me, I can’t let them catch me” 

“Father? You mean your owner?” Chanyeol muses slightly confused. All Androids when purchased where connected to their owners with a password, and only their owners are allowed to give them commands. 

“Yes but he didn’t own me, he created us. We four were like his children. Me and my brothers and sisters called him as father. But they are all dead now I guess the people who are looking for me killed them” 

With that he cautiously takes a few steps forward towards him. Chanyeol immediately stiffens, the hold on his mobile tightening. But he refuses to act like he is scared of him so he doesn’t move. 

“You have no reason to be afraid of me, I can’t harm in anyway. We are programmed to protect humans not harm them, and you know AI’s can’t lie. Please let me stay here for tonight, Il leave tomorrow morning” 

He is standing a few good inches away from Chanyeol not overstepping his personal space. There is a soft glow to his overall face, few strands of black hair now falling on his forehead and eyes glistening under the yellow light of the room, his lips slanted in a thin line.

So human.

Feeling anxious Chanyeol slowly looks away and focuses on the puncture on his neck which is obviously not bleeding, but there are a few wires and sensors peeking out of it proving that he is nothing but a product of a scientific experiment. 

Chanyeol takes a few minutes to come to a decision “Il only help you in one condition, you will leave first thing in the morning, also I need to know who are coming after you” He declares firmly. He is honestly curious about the whole thing, so he might as well make a trade since he is helping a robot anyway.

The AI nods slowly, eyes downturned, and Chanyeol can’t help but notice that his body looks tired almost lethargic like he could fall asleep any second. 

“You can charge yourself in that point behind the table. There is a chord inside the first drawer you can use it” 

Chanyeol has seen Kai charging during the breaks he is well aware of how the whole thing works.

“Thank you” He walks back to the table. 

“What is your name? I am Chanyeol” Chanyeol introduces himself with hesitation after a few seconds, this is the first time he has actually had a conversation with an android, he decides knowing his name isn’t a big deal also referring it as an AI seems weird. 

He turns around, the chord now hanging from his wrist, where the power socket is located under the false skin. 

“My name is Sehun” he lips curve into a small but disarming smile, it isn’t the mechanical smile that the Androids working as the door man infront of the buildings or the ones handing out leaflets give, it’s nothing how Kai smiles at the guests coming to the restaurant, this feels real. Chanyeol almost believes him until Sehun plugs in the adapter and with that he immediately goes to sleep mode, closing his eyes he just stands there unmoving like a rock. 

Almost, because he isn’t a human. 

                                 ***