Chapter 3.5 - demanding answers.

Are Secrets One-sided?

I just stared at my ceiling, too lazy to get a painkiller for my headache and too many thoughts for me to rest peacefully. Faintly I can hear birds outside, I want to sleep but anytime my eyes drift close I think of anything. Anything that has to do with that day or just Chaeryeong in general. 

 

It’s been 3 weeks since Chaeryeong kissed me, since the blackmailing began, since Ryujin and Yeji places a seed of hope in me. Hope that maybe Chaeryeong feels the same or similar. But the longer I’ve stared at this ceiling night after night, the more I doubt that being true. If she feels the same wouldn’t she be more affected by me not talking to her. Me ignoring her because it’s hurting me even more than I let on. 

 

I cry in the toilets after I have to give her the cold shoulder or not help her. Not even make eye contact. I can’t stand it, I feel like I’ve lost part of me, but her? She seems as though she lost a shoe, from a pair she was losing interest in. 

 

My phone was in my hands, I could text Yeji or Ryujin. I could ask them for advice or comfort but that would mean I’d have to talk. I’d have to say things that I’ve only kept to myself. So my phone stays in my hand, at my side. 

 

“Deep breaths Yuna.” I mumble to myself. 

 

My phone vibrates, but I just let go of it. Looking at the time I see that it’s five. 

 

I repeat that it’s Friday, that it’s one more day then I don’t have to do anything, I can lay on my bed and just live through this crisis alone. 

 

My phone vibrates again, this time I look at it  and the email says that school is cancelled due to the water not working. 

 

A wave of relief washes over me as I feel all the tiredness in me come back. Taking in a slow deep breath and releasing it I bask in the warmth of my bed and slowly close my eyes. Mumbling a finally before I drift off. 

 

 

I abruptly wake up to loud and fast knocks on my front door. I groggily make my way to the door, my eyes still half closed, I open it midway through a yawn. I freeze when I see the person it is. 

 

“Chaeryeong?” I ask frozen. 

 

“Why are you avoiding me? Why are you acting like you don’t know me? That I’m no one to you?” She rapidly asks. 

 

“Chaeryeong..? You can’t be here, it’s not allowed.” Panic builds as I glance around. He has to know she’s here, he is going to tell her. 

 

“No. Answer me why? We have always been together! Always been best friends. 

 

Having hope crushed right in front of you is what happens at the gates of hell. Because it means your heart, that’s somewhat healing, breaks all over again. Removing all the progress that may have been made. 

 

“I can’t. We can’t talk!” I try and get her to go. 

 

“Why not? What’s got you so afraid?” Her anger was getting more clear and I started to feel a little scared. 

 

“I can’t tell you. Otherwise you won’t smile anymore.” Her face goes dead. The anger vanished and she wore an unreadable expression. 

 

“If it’s because I kissed you, I’m sorr—“ I interrupt her. 

 

“Shhhh, I want you to stay happy. But you won’t be if he.” I blurt out, freezing once I realise what I said. 

 

“He? Who’s he? What does he have that is scaring you so much? Yuna talk to me.” Her voice was needy and her entire posture was the same. 

 

“He knows everything. He knows it all and to keep it a secret I can’t talk to you.” I finally say, defeated and step back inside my house. Closing the door in front of me to muffle whatever Chaeryeong has to say as a response. 

 

I just stand there, my heart on the floor and tears flowing out. She’ll figure it out, then she’ll find out everything. 

 

I sink to the floor, “What did I just do?”

 

 

/sorry for the break but schoolwork’s kinda piled up. Anyways will Chaeryeong figure it all out? Or will Yuna’s secret stay a secret for a bit longer? Hope you enjoyed and if there’s anything you want to see comment below. :D