Chapter XIII: Dinner with the Twins

A Fresh Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona tossed another dress on her bed and sighed.

Dara was on the bed looking amused by Yoona's frustration. She and her son, Joon, came over the cottage to help Yoona out. The kids were currently sleeping in the twins' room. Her expression was mirrored by two other women who were joining them via video call. 

Hyori was holding one of her cats while on the other part of the screen, Jessica had a wine glass on her hand. 

"I thought this was a dinner with the twins." Jessica started.. 

"Yeah, why are you so conscious about what you're going to wear?" Hyori asked. 

Dara snickered sharing a glance with the other girls. "Do you want me to bring the twins back to my house?" 

"Don't be ridiculous, unnies. I just want to make a good, first impression. I still think he wants to take the kids away." 

"So Jiyong finally knows, huh?" Hyori said. Yoona looked at her unni realizing that she also knew.

"Sica unni! Dara unni! You told?!" 

"They didn't. It's kind of obvious, Yoong. Haneul's facial expressions alone... I just didn't want to be rude.. You didn't tell me and so I had the tact not to ask."

Yoona groaned and fell back beside Dara on the bed. "Great. So much for keeping it a secret. Who else knows then?" 

"The other girls do." Sica confessed. "They're not saying anything because I threatened to keep them out of the monthly free delivery of clothes from my line." 

Dara patted her shoulders. "Don't stress this too much, Yoong.  I'll personally kick him in the shins if he ever tries to take the twins from you." 

"Yoona, wear the floral dress I sent you last month! That should be casual enough." Jessica suggested. 

Yoona stood up rather lazily and grabbed the dress from her closet. She showed it to the unnies and they made approving noises. 

"Now that should make a good, first impression! You sure you don't want us to babysit the twins for you?" 

Yoona groaned at their teasings and shook her head. 

To be completely honest, after talking to Jiyong that one time, she thought that she would never see him again. He didn't really seem to be the type to want to have kids slowing him down. She just felt relieved that the secret she's been keeping for so long was already out. 

When he showed up earlier that morning, she was genuinely surprised at his words. Claiming the children under his name is a big deal. He's claiming them as his and that was more than Yoona expected from him. 

She talked to her unnies then, and they agreed that they should take it slow with introducing Jiyong to the two three-year olds. Though they are young enough not to leave lasting impressions, introducing a father might be a stretch. 

As the clock hit five o'clock, the kids woke up, Dara wishing her good luck and ending their visit. 

She gathered the twins and put them on a more proper clothings.

"Haneul-ya, Daejji-ya, Mommy will have a friend joining us for dinner tonight. Can you behave for mommy?"

They nodded nonchalantly. 

"We'll have mac and cheese, mom?" Haneul asked.

"Of course, baby." She smiled at the boy before ruflling his hair. She then turned her attention to the girl and fixed the ribbon on her dress.

"Mommy, who's your friend?" Daejji asked, playing with the soft curls of Yoona's hair.

Yoona thought about it for a moment. "His name is Kwon Ji Yong. He's actually a friend of your Uncle Riri."

"Yong? Yong is 'dragon'?" Haneul thought. The twins were excellent English speakers much to the delight of their Aunt Tiffany and Aunt Jessica. Since they spend a lot of time in the States and interact with kids there, they became more fluent in speaking the language and are more likely to struggle in speaking Korean.

Yoona nodded. Dragons and elves and all kinds of fantasy creatures has been Haneul's favorite. While Daejji is more inclined to like the princesses in the stories they watch and read. "That's right. Some actually call him G-Dragon."

"Does he breathe fire?" Daejji asked.

Haneul giggled and put an arm on his sister. "Daej, dragons are only in movies."

"Are you sure? Mommy's friend might!" Daejji argued defensively.

Yoona laughed. Taking care of twins can definitely be a handful but most of the time, the two actually takes care of each other. It actually surprises her at times how caring the two can be with each other. They fight, of course but only when one is feeling cranky. 

She remembers the days when they only babble and no actual words come out of their mouths yet. The twins would look at each other, babbling as if having a real conversation. Then they'd laugh together as if they just shared a joke that no one else would understand.

"No fighting please."

At the Kwons, ten minutes before six, Jiyong took a look at the mirror one last time. He exhaled, satisfied how presentable he looks. 

"Right. I'll get going then." He grabbed the gift bags from his mother and the wine he bought.

His mother can't keep the smile off her face. "Jiyong-ah, I swear I will disown you if you mess this up."

He raised an eyebrow at his father who only shook his head goodnaturedly. "Go, you don't want to be late."

He made the short walk to Yoona's front door, finding it silly that just hours ago, he was standing in the same position asking to be part of the twins' life. He knocked and waited a few moments before Yoona opened the door.

Jiyong had to maintain a neutral face expression because she came out in a blue floral dress that hugged her figure exceptionally well. She only wore very light wake up. Her hair up in a neat ponytail. 

It's been three years since he saw her so made up. Of course he looked for her in the news but honestly, nothing can compare to you meeting Im Yoona in real life. Photos never really do her justice.

"Hey.." She smiled softly at him. "Come on in." 

Yoona stepped back and let him in. 

"You look pretty tonight, Yoona-ssi." He held up the wine he brought. "This is for you. Thank you for inviting me for dinner."

Yoona looked at the wine and whistled. "Wow. This is expensive."

"Seungri sends his regards." He shrugged. "I bought gifts for them.. I hope that's okay."

"Oh. You didn't have to.. but yeah, it's no problem." She took in his outfit. He was wearing a simple gray button up long sleeves and black pants. He purposedly chose a shirt that would cover his tattoos well. "You don't look bad yourself. The twins are in the living room."

Yoona put down the wine on the counter and faced Jiyong. "First things first.. Do you remember what I said earlier? About smelling like cigarettes?"

Jiyong nodded.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter