005

Dance With Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Jonghyun?” asks Yuri as she closes the door after the conversation with Lee Soo Man.

He composes himself. “Hi, Yuri.”

She points to the door. “Ah, if you want to talk to him, he’s all yours. Sorry for the wait.”

He awkwardly smiles. So, I guess they don’t know I’ve overheard their conversation, though, it’s more like I eavesdropped again. “Actually, I was waiting for you.”

“For me?” She takes a step forward to him. “Why?”

He mumbles, “I decided to walk with you to the dance room, in case you don’t remember the way.”

She smiles. “Thanks.” She looks at the clock on the wall. “Let’s get going.”

He smiles back. “Sure, let’s do that.”

They walk out of the door and are greeted by the secretary. “Thank you,” they say together.

“This way, right?” She points to her left. “From here, is it this way?”

He looks to his left and then to his right. “Well, if you want to take this elevator, we can. But if you want to take the other elevator, this side can take us there too.” He points to the opposite side of her pointing.

She laughs. “So, basically, we can take either way because both ways use elevators and we can get there.”

He understands what she says and finds it funny too. “Yeah, the company is built like that.”

She pats his shoulder. “Well, tour guide, which way is faster?”

“The way you pointed, so follow me.” He takes a step and then turns around to point at her. “Follow closely so you won’t get lost!”

She puts a hand near her forehead. “Roger that!”

They giggle as they play with one another. As they walk beside each other to head to the elevator, she catches sight of a person, Jessica.

She runs over to the elevator. “Sica eonni!” She immediately hugs Jessica when she approaches her. “So glad to see you’re here. I don’t know how else to see you so, I’m very happy.”

Jessica smiles and pats Yuri’s head. “I told you can always contact me, right?” She sees a man from behind Yuri, and it is Jonghyun. Her smile fades away, and a worried feeling controls her emotion. “Hi, Jonghyun.” She manages to greet the one man she can’t have.

“Hi.” Jonghyun’s voice changes, and the girls sense it. “I guess we’ll be sharing the same elevator with you since we’re heading up too.”

Jessica nods. “I don’t mind.” She focuses her attention on Yuri. “Are you heading to the dance room?”

“That’s right. What about you?” Yuri is holding onto Jessica’s arm.

Jonghyun sees this and panics inside. Yuri! Yuri…likes my Jessica?! What!!?

Jessica sarcastically frowns. “Going to my singing practice with my teacher. Want to come and see later on if you have time? It doesn’t end until seven. You’ll be finished by then, right?”

Yuri jumps up. “Sure, I’d love—” She stops, strategically checking her schedule in her mind, “Ah, sorry, but I can’t today. Is it every day, though?”

The elevator door opens, and the trio enters.

Jessica presses the buttons 4 and 6, four for Jessica and six for Jonghyun and Yuri. “That’s okay. No, it’s just every Wednesday at five until seven. Come whenever you want to see me, and whenever you have time.”

Jonghyun’s eyes are still on the arms of Yuri’s with Jessica’s. He feels really disturbed that the two girls are arm-locking, especially since he believes and is convinced that Yuri’s a lesbian.

“Jonghyun, what’s wrong? Are you sick?” asks Yuri.

Once again, Jessica’s sad emotion overtook her body. He must have already begun his game. All the games that he had played, it never really bothered her but to have already known that he has laid eyes on Yuri the day he saw her, of course, she has to worry.

Jonghyun averts his eyes to look at Yuri. “Eh? Ah, nothing’s wrong. I’m fine.” He lets out three weird laughs. “Ha! Ha! Ha!”

The girls look at him.

The door opens to Jessica’s floor.

“Well, Yuri, see you.” Jessica slowly looks at her man. With a saddened voice, she says to Jonghyun, “See you too.”

Yuri looks at the two’s ‘conversation’ and senses something from them, but doesn’t know what it is.

Jonghyun glances at Jessica and then looks away. “See you too.”

When the elevator door closes, Yuri immediately asks Jonghyun a question. “What is your relationship with Sica eonni?” The question sounds more like a demand, though.

Again, Jonghyun’s voice changes again, back to the much more normal version. “We’re SM family. That’s what.”

She squints her eyes and crosses her arms over her chest. “I don’t think so. Then, why did you whisper only to her about something that day?”

“What day?”

“The day when we first met. I remember seeing you whisper something to her.”

He becomes frantic. She saw? Then, does she know? She’s going to be my rival in getting Jessica?

“Based on that, I don’t think it’s just because you guys are a ‘family.’”

The door opens again to their floor, and Yuri walks out as Jonghun stays in, not knowing what to say.

Yuri turns to look at Jonghyun. “It worries me to have seen that expression on her.”

This is bad! Yuri really does like Jessica! “Yuri.” He walks over to her. “Jessica has a boyfriend.”

Total lie.

Sorry Yuri, but I can’t have you take the only girl I’ve loved since I’ve laid eyes on her.

“She does? Tell me who is Jessica’s boy—”

Jonghyun hushes her by covering because there are people walking around them and since it’s a total lie, he definitely can’t have her saying this out loud.

“Come this way!” He grabs and pulls her, and they head to a different direction. He lets go of his hand away from when they are by themselves.

“Since when?” she continues to ask her question when she knows she can. “How do you know? Who is he? What does he look like? Does he work here? Does any—”

“You can’t tell anyone! Not even Jessica!” He panics.

She frowns at him. “Why? How come she can know that you know, but can’t know that I know?”

He scratches his neck, out of ideas. “Well, it’s because…” He looks around as if it’ll give him an idea. “Because she’ll kill me if she knew that I have told someone.”

Yuri nods, finally understanding. “I see. Alright, I won’t tell.” She walks to the door. “But what is the point of telling me?”

He can’t say that he wants her to back off of Jessica and that he was jealous, so he says, “I-I just felt like it.” He quickly opens the door, hoping she won’t ask any more questions regarding to Jessica and her ‘boyfriend.’

*

Jonghyun and Yuri enter the dance room and see the boys with Taeyeon, Yoona and Taecyeon.

Jonghyun brightens up. Perfect timing. “Taeyeon, I’d like a word with you.”

The room becomes silent as they understand what Jonghyun is going to discuss with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon looks at Yuri, who is behind Jonghyun, and then back at Jonghyun. “S-sure.” She follows him out the door.

As for Yuri, she walks over to the group and apologizes. “Sorry for coming late.”

Taecyeon gets up from his seat. “Why did you come with him?”

“He was showing me the way here after having a conversation with someone.” She looks at the girl that is sitting next to Taecyeon. “Hi, my name is Yuri. Sorry that I didn’t actually introduce myself to you that time.” She is referring to when she had come into the dance room to find Taecyeon.

Yoona returns the same gesture.

Yuri takes off her backpack and rummages through it. “Taecyeon, here is what I have promised you. Thank you, again, for everything.” She hands him the washed cloth.

Taecyeon looks at it and then at Yuri. With a more enthusiastic voice from before, he says, “You can keep it. That way, when I’m not there, you can use it.”

Taemin comes over from the opposite side and squats down beside Onew. “Yuri noona, were you crying that day? Is that why hyung gave you that? Usually in dramas, they do that.”

Yuri and Taecyeon become frantic. They look at one another, and she signals to Taecyeon that she doesn’t want anyone to know about what happened that day.

Yoona sees this and clenches her hands.

Minho scoffs at the sight of this.

“That only happens in dramas,” emphasizes Taecyeon. “Besides, she had it in the first place because she found it for me.”

The group becomes confused.

Onew points at the cloth that is still in Yuri’s hands. “I thought it was because she had accidently stepped on it and offered to wash it for you?” He faces the others. “Isn’t that what he had said, or have I heard wrong?”

Taemin shakes his head. “No, that’s what I heard too.”

Yuri and Taecyeon panic. They really don’t remember the excuse they had used that day, and unfortunately, the group does.

“That’s right.” Taecyeon laughs. “I was just testing you guys. Good memory.”

“Well, I’ve been resting for too long now. I’m going to continue rehearsing.” Taemin gets up, only to be asked by Onew to help get up too. “Yuri, want to dance with us?”

“Sorry, but no, thank you. I’ll just stay here and watch.” Yuri looks over at Minho and sneeringly says, “I wouldn’t want to be in the way since I can’t dance.”

Taecyeon looks up from his place. “You can’t dance?”

“No, it’s just that someone mean had said that I can’t dance because I am a girl and am younger than he is,” answers Yuri, referring to Minho.

“So you can dance?”

“I know I can.”

“Hm, I wish I’d see you dance one day.”

Yoona and Minho look over at Taecyeon after his confession.

Yuri can’t help but blush. “One day, when I want you to see, I’ll invite you.”

“Invite?” asks Taecyeon. “So, you won’t just show me?”

“Well, since you’ll be seeing me dance for the first time, I’d like to show you a fantastic performance.”

He feels valued. “Thanks. I’d appreciate it.”

*

It’s been almost ten minutes since Yuri has been in the dance room with them. So far, a conversation hasn’t begun with the four people, Yoona, Minho, Taecyeon, and Yuri. Even Jonghyun and Taeyeon haven’t come back from their discussion. Everyone is so busy looking at Onew, Key, and Taemin dance.

Yuri’s eyes are all over Taemin. All his moves are slick, soft, and smooth. He executes them really well. Listening to the song played and seeing Taemin dance live seem to be a dream come true for her, and she feels happy inside and is all smiles the whole entire time.

Minho is annoyed because he believes that Yuri’s presence is in the way. He’s also annoyed because from the conversation before between Taecyeon and her, he knew she was referring to him, the guy who said that she doesn’t have potential and can’t dance.

Yoona is thinking about Taecyeon and Yuri’s relationship the whole entire time. She’s bothered by the fact that they could’ve had something to do together that is related to the cloth. She’s also bothered by the fact that he seemed to have cared more about Yuri than about her. The only time he would worry about her is when it’s related to her relationship with Minho.

Taecyeon is bogging his head along with the beat and looks carefree at the moment, but deep inside, he is completely anxious. He doesn’t want Yoona to misunderstand or think that he likes Yuri. Even though Yoona may have a boyfriend, Minho, he doesn’t want Yoona to have the thought of him liking someone as a good thing, since Yoona would probably approve and suggest for him to pursue Yuri. That will be a painful conversation for him.

The door to the dance room opens and finally, Jonghyun pops back in. He is all in smiles and is cheery.

Taemin stops the music with the remote. “Why did your answer took so long? You know, we only have about a week left until we perform on Music Bank.”

Jonghyun sits next to Yuri. “Because I was also thinking of strategies instead of the same plan. I told you, she’s different.”

Everyone looks at Yuri, knowing that Jonghyun meant her.

“What’s wrong?” Yuri asks, seeing all eyes on her.

Taecyeon averts his attention to Jonghyun. “You sure about this?”

Jonghyun smiles. “Real sure. Besides, my love’s on the line for this.” I have to reverse her to liking guys! Then, when I have accomplished my real goal of making her straight, that’s when I’m free to be with Sica!

“The time limit’s still the same?” asks Key, catching his breath.

“Yep. Within a month,” Jonghyun answers.

Taemin turns the music on again. “Good luck.”

This is exciting. If Yuri gets played by Jonghyun, she’d be so heartbroken that she wouldn’t be able to focus on dancing. Then, she won’t be able to prove to me that she can dance. She’d fail her own stupid challenge. Minho smiles devilishly at this thought of his.

Jonghyun scoots into the circle, facing Taecyeon and Yoona. He looks at Minho. “Hey, you know how you’re going to take Yoona out on a date for that celebration you had planned for last week? Can Yuri and I tag along?”

Everyone perks up, especially Yuri.

“Ya! What are you saying?” shouts Yuri to Jonghyun. “Wait. He has a girlfriend?” She looks at Minho. “I’m surprised you can get a girlfriend with that attitude of yours. I feel so bad for her already.”

Minho is pissed. “Why you—”

“Don’t you know Yoona is Minho’s girlfriend?” asks Taecyeon. “They’ve been going out for almost two years.”

Everyone is surprised.

Jonghyun thinks about it. “Hyung, they’ve really been going out for almost two years? I thought it was three.”

Taecyeon turns to Yoona. “So, it’s not almost two, but almost three?”

Yoona is happy. But the happiness lasts only a little. She is happy because it shows that Taecyeon cares enough to keep track to know how long she and Minho have been dating. But, when she comes to the reason that maybe he remembers about how long she and Minho have been dating, she becomes hurt. You’re really okay with us together? “No, you’re right. Almost two years.”

Yuri scoots in closer to Taecyeon, making Yoona’s heart tighten.

“Sorry. I didn’t know that his girlfriend would be you,” Yuri says.

Yoona gives Yuri a faint smile. She points to Taecyeon and swallows hard at the next sentence she is going to have to say and live with. “Taecyeon and I are friends since we are in the same agency, so that’s why he knows.”

Yuri finally understands the relationship now. She snaps her attention back to Jonghyun. “Wait, Jonghyun, why did you asked that question when you haven’t even asked me about it? Besides, why would you want to barge in on their date?”

Jonghyun begs Minho and Yoona. “You guys know about it, right, and understand right? Please, let us go? I told you guys, my love is on the line of this!”

“Love?” Yoona whispers as she steals a glance at Taecyeon. She sees a saddened Taecyeon. Could it be that he’s sad because he likes Yuri, and Jonghyun is going to play around with her?

Minho turns to look at the rest of s dance. “No. Besides, someone doesn’t want to go.”

Yuri becomes pissed at the tone Minho uses to refer about her. “Ya, I was being thoughtful. The least you could do is appreciate it.”

“And what’s the most that I could do?” He puts his hand on the floor and leans on it, leaning towards Yuri’s direction.

She puts her two hands down on the floor and moves forward him too. “The most and best that you can and should ever do is change that attitude of yours!” She quickly turns to Jonghyun before Minho can dart back at her. “Sorry, Jonghyun, but I don’t want to go.”

She reverts back to sitting properly. “I’m going to be busy.” The tone of her voice at the moment is dissimilar. It is sad, and it sounds almost quite like a whisper.

Taecyeon looks at his new friend with a worried look as Yoona averts her attention from Yuri to Taecyeon and sees this.

Minho can’t help but focus on Yuri. He hasn’t seen this side from her and is surprised.

Jonghyun feels sad at the fact that he’s out of ideas to take her out to begin his pursuit.

The only thing Yuri wants to focus is not a date, but a family at hand. Right now, I have to brace myself to see them.

*

“She’s pretty, isn’t she?” Yoona asks Taecyeon.

They are sitting at the back seats of their managers’ black minivan. They are already heading back to their dorm.

When she asked the question, she looked at the reflection of his through the glass window of the minivan’s door. She doesn’t have the courage to look at him.

He doesn’t hesitate to answer. “Yeah, she is.” He continues to play on his iPhone, acting as if the question doesn’t bug him.

“How did you two meet, actually?” She can’t believe she just asked that! It definitely was a situation she knows both Yuri and Taecy

Please log in to read the full chapter