004

Dance With Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Lay her here, please,” says the doctor who has arrived before the SHINee boys. The doctor points to a bed. The bed is in Yuri’s dorm. “May I do the checkup now?” he asks Sooman, who has dropped by after hearing of the news.

Sooman nods. He takes a step back and tells the boys to do the same.

When the doctor finishes taking a reading on the chest with his stethoscope, he removes the earbuds and looks at Sooman. “Are you the father?”

Sooman chuckles nervously. Before he answers, he tells the boys to go out to leave him and the doctor some privacy. “I’ll look for you when I’m done here.” He closes the door and returns to the room where the doctor and Yuri are. “Doctor...”

*

Key is sitting on a couch, surfing through the channels. Onew is in the bathroom. Minho is downstairs talking with SNSD, and Jonghyun and Taemin are walking back and forth, anxious to wait for their president to call for them.

“Now that I think about it, why do we have to give them privacy when it’s just an easy question for him to answer?” asks Key, eyes still on the TV and still surfing through the channels.

Taemin stops and sits next to Key. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s because it has something to do with Manager Hyung that we don’t know.”

Jonghyun smirks. “Hey, we’re practically his sons. We should probably know everything about him, right?”

Key looks up at Jonghyun, and Taemin takes this chance to grab the remote.“But we don’t live with Hyung, so there are bound to be things that we don’t know about him, too.” He sees Taemin lean back on the sofa and sees that the young boy has stopped on a different channel “Hey, You know I don’t like this show!”

Taemin moves the remote to the opposite side so that Key can’t get it. “Well, you were taking so long to pick a channel, so I did the job for you.”

“I found a show I want to watch now, and that is Strong Heart! Put it on,” demands Key.

“Eh, but it’s not airing tonight, isn’t it?” Taemin plays dumb, annoying Key.

“NOW!” yells Key, scaring Taemin.

Taemin shoves the remote to Key, losing, and walks to the computer.

Jonghyun sees the clock and remembers what he has to do tonight. He sneers and goes to the door. “Guys, I’ll be back.” He leaves the room and walks passed Yuri’s, but he suddenly stops. Instead of doing what he wants to do, he decides to eavesdrop.

He looks around and waits to see if he can hear anyone or anything. When the coast is cleared, he puts his ear to the door and listens.

“I am a doctor, yes, but I can’t be a doctor that is exclusively for her only,” says the Doctor.

“Yes, I know that,” says Mr. Lee, “but I can pay you for being her exclusive doctor.” Mr. Lee further pleads to the doctor. “Please, I need you to save my daughter.”

Jonghyun’s face scrunches. Did he hear correctly? He is confused. He listens again, this time, much more attentive.

Mr. Lee speaks again. “I can’t lose her, especially when she hasn’t seen her mother yet.”

The Doctor reassures Mr. Lee. “Sir, she is an asthmatic. From this efficient but positive diagnose, the attack has done no harm. But I’d like it if she were to stop doing anything exhausting for the time being.”

“But what about the offer?” Mr. Lee asks again.

There is a sigh from the Doctor. “There are other patients I have responsibilities for. I can’t leave them.”.

“I am not asking you to drop those responsibilities, I am merely asking you to just be there for her when in need.”

There is silence. Jonghyun becomes tense. He hopes they haven’t discovered he’s listening in on their conversation.

“It’s the same, sir,” says the Doctor. “What happens if I have a patient who needs me at the same time as your daughter?”

There is a pause. Mr. Lee can’t say anything. He wants to say something, but he knows that’s not the answer the doctor would like. “I’m...I’m sorry.”

“No need. I am—”

“Hyung?” Minho’s voice frightens Jonghyun, making Jonghyun pull away from the door. ”What are you doing?”

Jonghyun composes himself. “Ah, nothing. Nothing.” He looks at the door, hoping it won’t open. He quickly walks to Minho. “Hey, what took you so long?”

“People were asking me about what’s wrong with Yuri and how come I was carrying her, so I had to explain. What about you? Why were you—” Minho’s interrupted as Jonghyun avoids the topic.

Jonghyun pats Minho’s back. “I’ll be back!” he runs downstairs, escaping the question.

No way! Yuri is the president’s daughter?!

*

The next day, Yuri opens her eyes with a pain in her chest. She touches her chest, applying pressure and looks around the room. She knows for sure this room is not hers. There are many boxes surrounding the bed she is sleeping in.

It hits her.

This is the dorm she is going to stay in until her father comes home.

APPA! Yuri tries to remember what had happened before she had got here. As she thinks about it, all she remembers is that she was rushing to pay the taxi man money at the airport. Nothing else comes to mind after that. She gets up and searches the room, trying to come accustom to it, since she will be staying here for a while.

Out the door of her room is a small but big enough living room with a set TV placed across from her. A small brown leathered sofa is placed in the middle of the living room. On the right of the living room is the door.

Yuri, still in her bedroom of the dorm, walks over to another door that is on the opposite side of the bed. She opens the brown handle and sees that it is the restroom. It’s clean and a big enough tub. Although the dorm seems pretty small, it has some decent space.

Yuri remembers about her purse and her cell phone. She needs to know if she still has them. She finds her bags and her purse on the sofa. She takes out her cell and then checks the time. It is 10:29 a.m. and she has overslept. Yuri rushes back into the bathroom and splashes water onto her face. She lets out a shout as she accidentally splashes hot water on her face. Since she can’t find her toothbrush, she washes with her fingers. Yuri steps out of the room and grabs her bag. She stops when she’s about to open the door as she realizes she’s wearing the same uniform from yesterday and hasn’t changed. She hesitates. She doesn’t even know where her clothes are and can’t afford to waste any more time.

She lets out a moan of frustration. “Ugh! Why is today a bad start!” She looks at her outfit and then smells it. “It still smells fine.”

She decides to just leave as she is after she has combed her hair with her hands. She opens the door and enters the hallway. Now, which way? She asks herself.

On her left is a way downstairs to which she doesn’t know, and on her right, is another hallway, which she also doesn’t know where to leave. In front of her is another door. She decides to take the stairway, knowing it’ll at least take her somewhere - downstairs.

As she rushes to the stairs, the door in front of her dorm opens, and it is the SHINee boys. She has just missed them as she already walks down the stairs.

The person who walks out of the dorm room is Onew. He happens to see the whip of Yuri’s black hair and doesn’t know it is her. “Hey, did any of you guys see what I saw?”

Minho walks pass Onew. “What did you see?”

Taemin walks over to Yuri’s door. “She’s not awake. No sound.”

The name of Yuri makes Jonghyun stops as he locks the door. He remembers what he had heard last night, and he still hasn’t come to a conclusion on what to do with what he had heard. He doesn’t know whether to tell Lee Soo Man that he had heard the conversation or to just go with the flow. If he tells Lee Soo Man, what would Lee Soo Man do to him? Jonghyun doesn’t want to think about it.

“Locked it?” asks Key, making Jonghyun jump.

“Y-yeah. Got it.” Jonghyun smiles and throws the keys into the air and then catches it. “Let’s go.”

The SHINee members walk downstairs and talk with one another as they walk.

The boys get into their own separate cars with Key, Jonghyun, and Minho in another and Onew and Taemin in another. Onew and Taemin left first, going to the right, and the rest to the left.

“Jonghyun,” says Minho. “You have been very quiet since yesterday.”

Jonghyun looks at Minho, who is sitting on his left. He adds a nervous laugh, knowing his friend is right. “Ah, really?”

Key lifts up an eyebrow. “What’s up with that laugh?”

“Yuri…” Minho quietly says the name that is behind the reason for Jonghyun’s not being himself.

Jonghyun nervously jerks up and stutters. “What-what makes you say that?”

Minho pushes Jonghyun’s head over and looks out the window. “I just saw Yuri ran passed us!”

Key moves forward and Jonghyun moves Minho’s hand from his head and looks at the window at the back of the car, and there it is, a girl who has a school uniform of Yuri’s and the hair is going back and forth.

“Is that really her?” asks Jonghyun, doubting.

The girl stops at a stoplight as the boys are trying to wait to see for her face.

Minho directs the driver. “Hyung, follow the girl in a uniform over there. I want to see her face.”

Key and Jonghyun stare at Minho when they hear this.

Minho looks at them and defends himself. “I just want to confirm.”

Key smirks. “I didn’t say anything.”

Jonghyun becomes nervous. He doesn’t want to meet her now. He won’t know how to act around her. He becomes tense. Does she know what I know?

The car successfully does a U-turn and just when they are about to catch up to the girl they believe is Yuri, “Yuri” begins running.

“Hyung, try to get to the corner over there first and stop,” directs Key this time.

In a short few minutes, they have beaten “Yuri” at the corner. They stop and wait for the “Yuri”.

“Ya, what makes you think she’ll turn this corner?” asks Minho.

Key sneers. “I remember the way to her school when we picked her up, and if she is Yuri, she’ll come this way, right?”

“…and there she is.” Jonghyun’s voice isn’t happy. It is depressing, but it seems that no one noticed as no one said anything about it.

Key pushes Jonghyun as he opens the minivan door. “YURI!”

Yuri has run passed the minivan and stops when she hears someone call her name. Before turning, she stops to catch her breath. She weakly turns around, hoping she hasn’t stop for anything, as she is already late for the first period. When she turns, she sees a familiar black minivan and a small opening is open.

Inside, a small head is looking right and left and then at Yuri, cautiously.

She realizes who it is. “K-Key?” asks Yuri, walking forward. “Is that you?

“Get in!” says Key, though, it sounds more like a demand. “We’ll take you to school, hurry!” He opens the door wider, and she hesitatingly gets in.

As she closes the door behind her, she sees Jonghyun and Minho. She sits in the seat on her right and the car moves. “You know where I am going, right?” She asks since Key did say they’ll take her.

Minho answers. “Ya, why didn’t you rest today? You weren’t fine yesterday, and why are you even running when you’re an asthmatic person?”

The awkward atmosphere is evident.

Jonghyun looks out the window as he feels awkward looking at Yuri, but for a different reason.

Key looks back and forth between Yuri and Minho.

Minho glares at Yuri while Yuri looks down, saddened.

So, they know. Are they going to give specially treat me just because I am asthmatic? This is the reason why she doesn’t want anyone of them to know of her health. She’s sick and tired of knowing that everyone’s treating her special just because she’s an asthmatic. “Stop here, please,” demands Yuri to the driver.

Minho reaches for the handle of the door and holds onto it, not letting Yuri out. “No, we’re taking you there.”

Yuri struggles to remove Minho’s hand. “Let go!” Her head is turned back to the driver. “Please, I can go by myself and take them to where they need to be.” She turns back to Minho and gives him a glare.

Minho lets out a chuckle. “Like I care.”

She lets go of struggling with Minho. “If you don’t care, then let me off here!”

“How can I do that? You’re—” He raises his voice out of anger.

“An asthmatic? Because I am asthmatic that I am being treated this way?” She gives them an attitude, not intentionally.

Everyone is quiet.

The driver stops at a corner. “So, which is it?”

She successfully removes his hand from the handle. “I’m going.” She opens the door and grabs her bag. “Thank you for the ride.” She closes the door and begins running again.

Key leans back into his seat. “Well, we can’t force her.”

Minho sits up straight. His hands are intertwined together.

*

Yuri bows a 90-degree bow to her homeroom teacher. “Mianhae! There were some problems,” she somewhat explains, not wanting to tell everything.

Her homeroom teacher exhales. “Well, this is your second time, and it seems that since you were trying to make it on time, I’ll let this drop.” He raises his pointing finger at Yuri and grins at her. “But next time, there definitely will be a punishment.”

Yuri smiles, feeling thankful. “THANK YOU!”

She and her homeroom teacher walk to her class. After a quick agreement with the current teacher and the homeroom teacher, she is allowed to sit in her seat, getting eyes from mainly her friends Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk.

Great, now Hyoyeon eonni and Eunhyuk oppa are worried, thinks Yuri, as she catches the looks from her friends.

When she sits down, she immediately takes out her book a

Please log in to read the full chapter