This Road Is Never Ending-

Moonlight Melody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her left foot toed the edge, teetering dangerously on the bridge’s wide rail.

 

Wendy took a deep swig from the bottle of wine in her hands, spilling some on her shirt as she sobbed heavily. She took another step and moaned softly, tears dripping off her chin even as she cried.

 

“Please... Someone... Help her...”

 

Only the wind answered her, cold and merciless in the dead of winter. Wendy took in a shuddering breath and put the bottle to her lips again.

 

“Please... I’m sorry...”

 

She raised a shaking hand towards her face and wiped her tears away messily.

 

“I’m so sorry...”

 

(Why her?)

 

“Please...”

 

(She didn’t do anything wrong.)

 

“I’m sorry-”

 

(She was innocent.)

 

“Someone help...”

 

(She didn’t deserve that.)

 

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t able...”

 

(She was innocent.)

 

“I’m sorry-”

 

Her foot slipped on some ice, her hand, letting go of the bottle and leaving it to drop silently into the river, scrambled to grab at something.

 

Her fingers closed around air.

 

She lurched backwards, body arching midair gracefully. Wind rushed in her ears and her vision blurred. Time seemed to slow down around her and in front of her blurred gaze-

 

Sunbae.

 

She reached out for the image, a choked gasp exiting her lips.

 

“Sunbae.”

 

A cold hand grabbed her outstretched one and pulled her back with immense strength. She jerked midair, carried away from a certain icy death by the image of her senior and met face first with warmth. Blonde hair filled her vision and strong arms circled her protectively. Fingers curled in her hair, steadying and anchoring her to reality, not flinching even when Wendy gripped at the mirage’s shirt tightly, wine stained fingers pulling at a dark shirt desperately.

 

“Sunbae... Sunbae...”

 

The fingers in her hair rubbed at her scalp soothingly in response.

 

“Sunbae, I’m sorry.”

 

She twisted the material under her fingertips in a vice grip and attempted to pull herself upwards, wanting to apologise to this person’s face. Her knees shook and refused to straighten, her body heaving forwards in protest. Her nose connected with the sharp edge of the other woman’s shoulder roughly, jarring but not deterring her from her apologies.

 

“I’m so sorry.”

 

She felt herself moving but her legs weren’t cooperating.

 

“Sunbae, I’m so sorry.”

 

And after that-

 

And after that, all she remembered was the scent of winter seeping into her bones.

 

*

 

“My head...”

 

She pressed her palms to her eyes and groaned in pain, moving away from the streak of sunlight that had crept through the crack in her curtains. Turning towards the wall, she continued to lament the headache that was pounding against her skull while debating on her life choices when-

 

“Wait.”

 

She opened her eyes reluctantly and looked over her shoulder.

 

“How did I get home?”

 

(The last thing she remembered was the bridge.

 

The bridge and the wine.

 

And the waves that were drowning her.)

 

“What the hell?”

 

She pushed herself up slowly, mindful of the throbbing pain running through her head and squinted at her apartment, the studio layout making it easy for her to look around.

 

She was definitely home.

 

But how-

 

“I see that you’re finally awake.”

 

Her heart leaping to , Wendy jumped about a foot into the air, the headache doubling in pain when her head connected with the wall behind her loudly. Stifling a vulgar curse, she grabbed the back of her head tightly, pressing down on the forming bruise tightly.

 

“Are you usually this uncoordinated?”

 

Wendy sent the woman a look and ignored the question.

 

“Who are you?! What are you doing in my house? How did you get in?”

 

The woman merely placed a set of keys on the table.

 

“I used your key.”

 

Wendy shook her head frantically, immediately regretting her actions when her brain protested loudly.

 

“Okay- Wait, no- Why are you in my house?!”

 

The woman came closer to the bed, Wendy drawing away from her slightly when she realised that the blonde was holding a white bag in her hand. There was a weird smile on the woman’s lips, as though painted on like a mask, the red stretched across her face tightly.

 

(This is how she dies.

 

In the bedroom, suffocated by a bag.)

 

The woman dropped the bag on her bed and pushed it over, sending its contents spilling all over her covers. She pointed at some items and spoke in a deadpan voice, the smile on her face frightening.

 

“Before I answer that, please take these painkillers and then go and shower. I would like you to have full concentration when we talk.”

 

Wendy nodded tightly and grabbed a box.

 

(Maybe if she listened, she won’t end up brutally murdered.

 

Hopefully.)

 

*

 

Wendy stepped into the expansive room with damp feet, looking around cautiously for the strange woman. Sighing in relief when she didn’t see her, Wendy edged towards her bed again, intent on sleeping off the hangover that was currently making itself very known between her eyes.

 

“Oh, good, you’re done. That was quicker than I expected.”

 

Swearing under her breath, Wendy whipped around to see the blonde sitting demurely on the floor by the coffee table, her elbow resting on it whilst she inspected her nails. Resigning herself to a short life, Wendy made her way towards the coffee table and slumped on the opposite side, her knees knocking the underneath loudly when she folded them.

 

The blonde smiled at her reassuringly.

 

Wendy gave her a look that spoke volumes.

 

Shaking her head, the other woman extended her arm across the table, speaking in a clear tone whilst enunciating her vowels.

 

“Hello, my name is Jessica.”

 

She returned the handshake reluctantly and murmured a response.

 

“I’m Wendy.”

 

If possible, the smile on Jessica’s face looked even more out of place when it widened. Wendy shied away slightly, watching with wide eyes when Jessica pulled out a binder that was as thick as a brick, her eyes tracking the flicking pages. The blonde then stopped at a page where what looked like her profile picture was stuck on the corner of the paper.

 

“So, before I start, what do you know about the Re:Life Foundation?”

 

(How about you start with why is my resume in that huge binder of yours, lady?!)

 

Wendy shook her head politely, schooling her expression into a neutral smile.

 

“I have not heard of it.”

 

The other women merely nodded.

 

“Understandable. What we do isn’t something that we would advertise to the public, if we want to get the best results from our services.”

 

(Oh.

 

Oh no.

 

Is this woman a pimp?!)

 

Paling, Wendy opened to reject this offer when Jessica pushed the binder forward, the blonde’s back straightening as the smile that had lingered crookedly on her lips curled downwards.

 

“Wendy Son, age twenty seven. As of three months ago, you are an unemployed woman due to a sudden resignation, reasons unknown.”

 

Jessica raised her head to look straight into Wendy’s eyes, dark depths that couldn’t be deciphered.

 

And yet, there was something that Wendy did not like in that gaze, a gaze that spoke volumes.

 

(Her heart clenched tightly.)

 

I’m sorry.

 

Wendy shook her head to clear it and stood up abruptly, ignoring the shooting pain that blossomed at her knee and up her thigh when she knocked it against the table.

 

“I’ve heard enough. Please leave.”
 

(Inside, a tumultuous storm brewed, filled with apologies that wouldn’t have changed a thing and regrets heavy enough to grind bones into dust.

 

Inside-

 

I’m sorry.

 

Inside, there was a war and it was one that Wendy couldn’t win.)

 

“I don’t know who you are or why you think you have permission to be here and order me around and then bring up information like a stalker-”

 

Her hands started to tremble.

 

(She needed a drink.

 

Just one.

 

Just to forget.)

 

“And frankly, I am afraid of you. But if you leave now, I won’t call the police or bring this matter up with anyone else.”

 

She pointed at the door.

 

“So, please leave-”

 

“You nearly died last night.”

 

Wendy blinked at the interruption, watching the change of expression on Jessica’s face. It was the most honest Jessica had been since Wendy had woken up, from the weird smile that did nothing to soothe to the affable host like persona she had taken up when presenting the information.

 

On her face, there was a lingering sadness. It was the face of a woman who had seen too much and lost too much.

 

(It was a face of a woman who has yet to give up.)

 

“If I hadn’t been following you last night, I would have been attending your funeral instead.”

 

(Almost died.

 

She wasn’t suicidal.

 

She wasn’t.)

 

Wendy spoke up hoarsely.

 

“I wasn’t planning on jumping.”

 

She was just on that bridge.

 

It was that bridge.

 

It was-

 

Jessica shook her head.

 

“But you didn’t care if you fell either.”

 

The binder closed with a soft thud, Jessica folding her fingers over the white plastic, delicate and soft even as she continued to deliver harsh sounding words.

 

“You would have fallen and you would’ve welcomed it because you can only think of the silence that comes with every bad decision you have made.”

 

Wendy looked at this woman who was laying her soul bare without her permission and answered back harshly, unwilling to let her raw heart be exposed to cutting air any longer.

 

“Don’t talk like you know me. You don’t know what happened.”

 

Jessica merely tapped her fingers on the plastic file, tilting her head to one side even as she continued to observe Wendy with those fathomless eyes.

 

“I may not know what happened, but I do know what came next. And what I see is a woman who has been crying out for help. And help is what the Re:Life company can give to you.”

 

Her fingers fisted into the material of her jeans, anger lining her movements.

 

(Anger at herself.)

 

But when Wendy spoke, it was with the timbre of a fallen tree in a forest, silent and unheard but still trying to hold itself up by its roots.

 

(Help me.

 

The voice said.

 

Please help me.)

 

“How can you help me?”

 

The smile returned to its position on Jessica’s lips, this time a little softer.

 

“Have a seat and I’ll explain it to you.”

 

Wendy stared at this woman, with the sound of waves crashing echoing in her ears and with despair curling up her spine, her fingers itching to reach out for a drink.

 

She sat down.

 

*

 

Jessica eyed Wendy critically, watching as the other woman sat down apprehensively. Wendy’s body was still fraught with disbelief, a tight string about to snap with the lightest touch, carrying despair with every movement.

 

But there was a slip of hope, a desperation to reach out and have someone help her from this abyss she had put herself in, a punishment for something that wasn’t hers to bear.

 

And it was this that Jessica latched on to, a wish to be happy.

 

(And Jessica could only hope that her hand would be one of the many that would push Wendy forward on her journey into life.)

 

She cleared and began again, this time leaving the binder close, fingers tapping against the edge silently.

 

“As I’ve said previously, I’m from a company called Re:Life. Essentially, we’re a counselling centre for people who have lost their way in life, be it issues stemming from love, money and such.”

 

She waited for Wendy to respond and got a slight nod.

 

“We usually receive calls, kind of like a hotline for people who just need someone to talk to. However, there are cases where just talking doesn’t offer much of a solution. Hence why the Re:Life program was created.”

 

She opened the folder, flipped past the page where Wendy’s personal information was and stopped at the information tab, turning it around for Wendy to see. The brunette leant forward slowly, her eyes tracking down the page, taking in the information visually while Jessica weaved her pitch.

 

(A story.

 

A happy ending.)

 

“High risk cases-”

 

“Are reviewed extensively. We then scope out the potential subjects carefully, making sure that they are a good fit for this program before approaching them.”

 

Wendy reached out with one hand, her finger pressing onto the smiling face decorating the corner of the brochure.

 

“I never called your company before though. How did you decide that I was a high risk case?”

 

Jessica smiled softly and spoke gently, taking care not to spook the other woman.

 

(A little too late.)

 

“We’ve expanded from subjects from phone calls. Sometimes, people who need a helping hand don’t call and a lot of them fall through the cracks. So we created a dedicated team that goes around, seeking out these people and offering them a chance.”

 

(Jessica doesn’t say anything about how people like Wendy are often gathered in specific places, taking in vices that would silence the noise for just a moment, all while drowning in their despair.

 

She doesn’t say anything about watching Wendy for those three months, those long three months where pulling an almost blackout drunk Wendy away from dubious places were the norm.

 

She doesn’t say anything about the apologies that Wendy can’t remember saying nor the pleas to help that someone that grated and twisted, interjected with brokenhearted sobs.

 

Jessica doesn’t say anything that would only seek to drive the knife deeper into Wendy’s heart.)

 

Wendy’s eyes were glassy, staring at nothing and everything.

 

“And you found me.”

 

There was nothing to reply beyond an affirmative, so Jessica chose to move on, turning the page towards the process.

 

“In the realm of dubious science bordering on science fiction, please don’t ask how or what or why, I truly don’t know, it’s something that our science department came up with, we will be giving you a pill that would regress you ten years in age.”

 

Wendy’s face contorted in confusion but she kept her lips sealed shut, even with the questions that were written on her very expression.

 

“You’ll look like you did when you were in your last year of high school and we will be sending you to a high school where you’d be able to relive your days as a senior.”

 

There was a pause.

 

And then-

 

Wendy snorted.

 

“Was that a pun?”

 

Jessica waved a hand.

 

“It’s in the explanation, someone wrote that, it’s not me.”

 

(She did write that.

 

She will take this secret to the grave.)

 

She moved the conversation away from the unintended pun, ignoring the way Wendy’s lips had pulled up in amusement.

 

But she can still smile. That’s great.

 

“There are many things that we learn in school, not just about statistics or literature, but small lessons between classmates and friends that you would never really get when you become an adult. Things that you couldn’t see back then but now with a different outlook, you’d be able to.”

 

The smile was quickly fading, replaced with the same disbelief that had etched itself into the corners of Wendy’s eyes.

 

“And we do this in hopes that you’d be able to regain the motivation you’ve lost. And maybe find something else along the way.”

 

Wendy peered at her face, an eyebrow raising as she scoffed softly.

 

“I honestly don’t see how being a high school girl again would help me.”

 

Jessica answered back patiently, drawing the file back towards her.

 

“It’s not being a high school girl, it’s what you can learn when you are one.”

 

Wendy leant back onto her hands, the lines in her body drawing sharp and cutting, her previously open countenance drawing close.

 

“Sounds too good to be true. If some lesson could just lift what I carry so easily, then everyone could be happy.”

 

“It depends on what you take away from this, it’s not a miracle cure-”

 

Wendy interjected sharply, her voice rough with emotions that Jessica tried not to look too deep into.

 

“What I carry isn’t something that can be erased in a classroom. If it can ever be erased.”

 

An admission.

 

It was more than Jessica could hope for and more than what Wendy had intended to reveal. A short passage into this past that Wendy kept desperately close to her chest, afraid to shine light upon it for fear of a world that was cruel.

 

It was an admission past drunken apologies and despairing wails.

 

And Jessica grasped onto it tightly, reeling in her subject with confidence.

 

(Because she believed.)

 

“But we’re not offering to erase the weight you carry.”

 

Wendy looked at her with narrowed eyes, mouth pursed shut.

 

Jessica forged on regardless.

 

“If erasing the weight you carry would help, we would have invented something that could do that immediately. But it doesn’t help. It’s merely a temporary relief.”

 

She paused for a moment, letting the silent comparison sink into Wendy’s mind, etching its influence onto gated feelings that allowed no one pass.

 

“But what we can do is offer you tools that would help you move forward on your own two feet. We’re not giving you a solution, we’re creating a safe place where you can reach one. Whether you’d be able to is entirely up to you.”

 

Because at the end, the only person that can save you is yourself.

 

We’re merely stops along the way.

 

(Jessica stopped herself from continuing, reminding herself to not interfere more than she already had.)

 

And with that, she packed her belongings silently, aware of the eyes burning into the side of her face. Placing a stack of papers on the table, she pushed it towards Wendy before gathering the file into her arms. She slid the binder back into her messenger bag and got up gracefully, patting her slacks down and tugging her blazer close.

 

“I’ll leave you to think about that. Please read through this thoroughly. I’ll be back tomorrow for your answer.”

 

And she left silently, leaving Wendy at the table, staring and staring in front of her.

 

She closed the front door behind her and heaved a huge breath.

 

And she started to hope.

 

*

 

“The subject will be in the program for a year, in which the subject will try their best to be able to regain their footing and sense of self through this experiment.”

 

Wendy flipped over to the next page, scanning the contents with a critical eye, taking note of the expectations and presumed results that the subject was supposed to reach at the end of the program.

 

If she was to be fair, it wasn’t a bad program.

 

If anything, it was very similar to a ten step program meant for addicts, with reachable goals and milestones to be reached.

 

And if she completed the program, the company would introduce her to various workplaces, with this program as an experience point in her life. She was also to be compensated throughout the program as it was an experimental program, hence being a subject rather than a participant.

 

(If she was to be fair, it was a gift.)

 

She arranged the pages back to their original positions and placed it on the coffee table, her legs numb from sitting in the same position for so long. Across her, the strip of light peeking from her partially closed curtains was drawing a line on the wall by her bed, long and bright, casting shadows onto the floor that told of a night of dreams to come.

 

Wendy stared at the beam, her gaze blurring till it was nothing but a whisper in her vision.

 

Sometimes, people who need a helping hand don’t call and a lot of them fall through the cracks.

 

A program that could help.

 

Help her. Please.

 

Wendy shook her head, drawing out from her daydream, blinking away the remnants of the cries that haunted her every thought.

 

“God, I need a drink.”

 

But she made no effort to move, her eyes landing on the contract again.

 

If erasing the weight you carry would help, we would have invented something that could do that immediately. But it doesn’t help. It’s merely a temporary relief.

 

Re:Life Program.

 

The words seemed to draw itself on the back of her eyelids, gripping at her mind with cold fingers and prying apart memories she’d rather stay asleep.

 

Sometimes, you just need to try!

 

A smile greeted her behind closed eyes, a smile that she thought she had forgotten.

 

Her eyelashes fluttered as she opened her eyes, the warmth from a smile long lost dissipating in the depths of her chest.

 

Just go for it!

 

She laughed silently, painfully and Wendy poked at the stack of papers, muttering to herself.

 

“Nothing wrong with taking a chance, I suppose.”

 

And against her better judgement, she silently agreed to take part in this program.

 

*

 

Jessica, irritatingly enough, merely smirked at her when she opened the door to her arrival, the blonde somehow discovering that Wendy did, in fact, have a doorbell that she could use.

 

(Instead of just using Wendy’s keys like she owned the place.)

 

“So, I take it you’ve made a decision?”

 

Wendy scowled, judging from the look on Jessica’s face that the blonde knew exactly what the outcome was.

 

“Yes.”

 

Jessica breezed past her easily, her messenger bag brushing on her forearm, and moved towards the coffee table. She took a seat at the same place she was yesterday and folded her fingers in front of her, looking at Wendy expectantly, the brunette staring at her with wide open.

 

“What are you waiting for? Come on.”

 

(The audacity.)

 

Wendy closed the door and made her way towards her own seat, already regretting the decision she made yesterday.

 

(Note to self. Do not make decisions while hungover.)

 

“And what’s the decision?”

 

Jessica wasted no time with pleasantries, the same odd smile plastered on her face.

 

Wendy stifled a shiver.

 

“I will take part in this program of yours.”

 

The smile widened.

 

“Wonderful.”

 

Wendy pulled a face at the look and shook her head, taking note of how Jessica’s shoulders had slumped down, the tension easing from her body as though the answer gave her some comfort.

 

“Alright, I’ll go through this contract with you, cross the T’s and dot the I’s-”

 

Wendy interrupted her hastily.

 

“I already read the entire thing. Several times, in fact. I don’t want to go through it again.”

 

Jessica chuckled heartily and nodded, producing a pen seemingly out of thin air and passing it over to Wendy.

 

“Then, can you sign here and here-”

 

She ruffled through the pages and showed Wendy where she should sign, Wendy scribbling her signature on all the dotted lines, feeling very much like she had just signed her entire life away.

 

“And just an initial- Great! We’re all done!”

 

Wendy passed the pen and the contract over to Jessica, waiting for the other woman to seal the stack of papers in a brown envelope before asking quietly.

 

“So when do we start?”

 

Jessica slipped the envelope into her bag and peered at her thoughtfully.

 

“We’ll have to wait for you to settle your affairs, such as any relatives you might have to inform as you can’t have contact with them-”

 

“I don’t have anyone.”

 

Wendy looked down at her hands when she interrupted Jessica, hearing the rush of the waves breaking in her ears and the cold clutches of a nightmare to come.

 

But it was brushed away easily by Jessica’s smile, terrifying and calming, the blonde shrugging as though Wendy did not utter anything of importance.

 

(But Wendy saw the way Jessica had hesitated slightly, fingers tight against the clasp of her bag.)

 

“Then we can begin immediately.”

 

Wendy nodded, grateful that Jessica chose not to comment.

 

“What would I have to do?”

 

Grinning, Jessica slid over a plastic packet containing a white tablet that looked like-

 

“What the- IS THIS ECSTASY??”

 

Jessica gave her a look that was simultaneously scathing and confused.

 

“What the f- No! How do you even know what it looks like?”

 

Wendy brushed over the question with a panicked wave of her hand.

 

“Are you drugging me??”

 

Her flailing was brought to an abrupt stop when Jessica reached over to hit her on the head, the blonde scrunching her nose at Wendy.

 

“I’m starting to think you’re the one who’s on drugs, how are you switching between moods so quickly?”

 

Wendy glared at her and then pointed at the tablet.

 

“Is it ecstasy?”

 

Looking thoroughly unamused, Jessica slid the tablet closer towards Wendy.

 

“No, this is what we will be using to regress you by ten years?”

 

Wendy glared at the tablet suspiciously and took it between her forefinger and her thumb, tilting her head to one side to examine the pill closely. Jessica huffed impatiently but otherwise remained silent, leaning back on her hands, blonde hair falling past her shoulders; a wide contrast with her black shirt. Pulling the white tablet out of the small plastic slip, Wendy at it lightly, making a face when the bitter taste spread through her tongue.

 

“Ew.”

 

Jessica looked at her with a deadpan expression.

 

“It’s a type of medication. It’s not going to taste like candy.”

 

Wendy pulled a face but otherwise made no comment, staring at the pill yet again.

 

(Something so small.

 

And yet it would affect everything.)

 

Wendy shrugged.

 

“Ah well, YOLO I guess.”

 

She popped the pill in and dry swallowed it, wincing at the pain that came from the pill scratching its way down . She stuck out her tongue, pulled at a corner and one eye wincing shut, wanting nothing more than to scrub the taste away.

 

Jessica chuckled.

 

“Maybe next time, try drinking water?”

 

Wendy laughed quietly, swaying slightly as she rubbed her eyes.

 

“I’m feeling kind of tired actually.”

 

The other woman nodded, gesturing towards the bed.

 

“It’s one of the side effects. Don’t fight it, just go to sleep.”

 

Nodding, Wendy crawled her way towards the bed, somehow forgetting how to use her limbs properly. Slumping onto her mattress, she buried her face into the material of her blanket, drowsiness taking over her quickly. Her eyelids fluttered heavily, Jessica making her way towards Wendy slowly.

 

“Just sleep. I’ll be here watching.”

 

Wendy mumbled sleepily.

 

“That’s just creepy...”

 

And that was the last thing she remembered.

 

*

 

“Oh, my head...”

 

Wendy woke up, brain throbbing loudly between her eyes.

 

“Jesus, what did I take-”

 

Her eyes shot wide open as the memory of her taking the pill from Jessica assaulted the front of her mind. She pushed the blankets off of her (Did Jessica tuck her in?) and touched her face hurriedly, feeling the smooth skin beneath her fingers. She examined her hands and then her legs and concluded quietly.

 

(Disappointedly.)

 

“Well, nothing much has changed.”

 

Shrugging, she got up from bed clumsily, swaying on her feet while she tried to remain upright. Making her way slowly towards the bathroom, Wendy looked around the apartment, mumbling to herself under her breath.

 

“Where did the blonde creep go anyways?”

 

She pushed the door open and yawned, shielding behind her hand.

 

And promptly screamed at her reflection.

 

And of course, Jessica chose this time to walk into the apartment, juggling between the drinks she held in one hand and the bag of fast food she had in the crook of her elbows.

 

“What?! What happened?”

 

Wendy turned around and screamed again, pointing at her face in a panic.

 

“Why do I look like this?!”

 

Jessica eyed her carefully and tilted her head to one side.

 

“You’re still as short as before?”

 

(Wendy had never heard the keyboard smash sounded in real life.

 

She was pretty sure she made that sound when Jessica questioned her.)

 

“Why do I look like I’m still in high school?!”

 

Placing the bag onto the coffee table, Jessica started sorting the food, carelessly throwing her response over her shoulder.

 

“I told you, the pill would regress you to when you were seventeen years old.”

 

Wendy pulled at her face, making a weird fish like expression at Jessica.

 

“I didn’t think it would be real!”

 

Jessica took a bite of her burger.

 

“If I lied to you, would you give me money?”

 

Wendy glared at her and turned towards the bathroom mirror, staring at her youthful face again.

 

At age twenty-seven, she didn’t look her age.

 

In fact, most people would think she was at least five years younger.

 

But this-

 

Faced with her face from ten years ago, she can safely say there were definite changes that made her more mature.

 

She poked at her chubby cheeks and puffed them out, watching her younger self make a face at her in the mirror.

 

“Are you done admiring your face?”

 

Jessica slid by her lazily and flicked her right ear, grinning when Wendy flinched away from her.

 

“I still have some things we have to go through. You can continue gasping at the miracles of dodgy science later.”

 

Without waiting for Wendy to agree, the blonde dragged her away from the mirror and sat her down at the coffee table, where a thick file (previously missing) was laying there.

 

“What-”

 

Jessica’s grin widened.

 

“Of course, every good student should know the school rules. Let’s begin.”

 

*

 

“And with that, we conclude what you would need to know heading into Peace B high school.”

 

Jessica closed the file with a snap, eyeing Wendy’s slumped figure with amusement.

 

“Come now, it wasn’t that bad.”

 

Wendy peeked from under her bangs and huffed at Jessica.

 

“It took two hours!! Why would I need to know how to turn off the water main!”

 

“Just in case.”

 

A thud echoed in the room when Wendy’s face met with the table again.

 

“Please don’t destroy your face. Dubious science can’t remake it.”

 

Wendy flipped her off.

 

Laughing, Jessica reached over and patted her on the head, ruffling her hair (fondly) slightly.

 

“I’m just kidding. Plastic surgery still works.”

 

And promptly got two fingers instead.

 

She pressed her fingers into Wendy’s scalp lightly, laughter lacing her words.

 

“Don’t worry about it. From everything I said, you only really need to remember the escalator system from high school to college and the random quizzes they give to students to determine the class representatives.”

 

Wendy mumbled something under her breath that Jessica couldn’t catch.

 

Jessica carried on like nothing happened.

 

“What’s important is that this is your second chance in life. Just enjoy this experience to the fullest. This is a Re:Life. And after this year, you’d return to your adult life, this life left behind like a videogame.”

 

Wendy turned her head, cheek resting against the table as she looked at Jessica with wide eyes.

 

“Yeah?”

 

Jessica nodded, scratching Wendy’s head gently.

 

“Yes. You can screw up like a child, you can fall and get up again, you can succeed and it will be yours. The Re:Life program promises this and no loose threads from the experiment would ever boil over to your current life afterwards.”

 

Wendy looked at her like a child seeking validation from her mother, prompting Jessica to continue with her pep talk.

 

“Where you go on this path restarted will be up to you. I hope you’ll be able to find what you have lost along the way on your first try.”

 

It took a moment but Wendy soon nodded, the broken pieces of her glass heart clinging to the vestiges of her smile.

 

*

 

“Alright. You can do this, Wendy.”

 

Wendy gave her reflection a determined gaze, the same pep talk that she had been giving herself for two weeks, since Jessica had left her to her own devices.

 

“It’s just high school.”

 

Today was the day. Today was finally the day she went to school.

 

“You can do it.”

 

She straightened her tie neatly, patting down the lapels of her collar and brushed at a crease present on her right shoulder.

 

“You’ve been through this before.”

 

She gathered her hair into a ponytail, carefully parting her fringe and combing any stray hairs into the bunch.

 

“It’s just high school.”

 

She patted down her skirt, making sure the edges skirts just above the three finger rule enough to be less of a dork and not a rebel.

 

“How hard can it be? You’ll breeze right through it.”

 

(Famous last words.)

 

*

 

High school now was definitely different from back then.

 

For starters, since when did schools get so fancy?

 

Wendy eyed her surroundings cautiously, pulling at her blazer self-consciously.

 

I wonder if anyone can tell that I’m really twenty seven years old.

 

She moved with the crowd, drawing a few glances her way but it was nothing more than they gave to other students who ventured in alone.

 

(“Won’t I stand out? Transferring in the last year of high school?”

 

“Nope. We chose this school because they have a high number of transferees each year.”

 

“Ah?”

 

“Peace B has a reputation, the kind of breeds affiliated ties with high ranking universities. Not to mention, they have an escalator system into their own sister university, S University.”

 

“So people transfer there because it’s easier to get accepted into universities.”

 

“Yep. That’s why no one will question your sudden transfer.”)

 

She pulled the door to the classroom open slowly, peeking inside to see students mingling about, easy laughter etched in their faces, smiles pulling at the corners of their eyes and lining their movements. Moving past these students, Wendy checked the class registry for her seat, finding her name at the back, close to a window.

 

Wincing at the position (how in the world would she see if the person in front of her was taller...), she made her way towards her seat, nodding her head at a girl sitting in front of her, slightly taken aback when the other girl gave her a blinding smile. It was open in a way that only a child could be, bright, innocent, soothing, a balm on the ache present between Wendy’s ribs.

 

“Hey! You’re new!”

 

Wendy nodded again, slipping her bag onto the hook attached to the table.

 

“Just transferred in, yes.”

 

The girl’s smile, if possible, brightened even more.

 

“Oh, yay! That’s amazing! I’m Seulgi!”

 

She extended a hand towards Wendy, shaking Wendy’s hand excitedly before pointing over to Wendy’s seatmate, a surly looking girl with a sharp gaze.

 

“And this is Joy!”

 

Wendy wondered briefly if the girl had gotten their names mixed up because there was but one emotion on the taller girl’s face and it was definitely not joy.

 

“I’m Wendy. Nice to meet you.”

 

Seulgi’s smile never left her face.

 

“Hey, Joy, say hi to Wendy.”

 

Joy snorted and waved a hand.

 

“You already did it for me.”

 

“Yeah, but come on! She’s new and she looks lonely! Nothing wrong with making friends.”

 

Wendy watched the exchange curiously, wondering just how an impatient teenager could be friends with this ball of sunshine.

 

“You’re my friend.”

 

Seulgi pouted, folding her arms in an attempt to look scary.

 

(Wendy wondered if Seulgi knew it was more like a puppy trying to scare a leaf.)

 

“I can’t be your only friend!”

 

Joy waved a hand again, her pale skin turning a dusty pink even as the words exited .

 

“I don’t need anyone else.”

 

Wendy’s eyebrows shot to her hairline, her eyes widening at the statement, her chin coming to rest on her hand.

 

(Wow, kids these days...)

 

She turned towards Seulgi almost eagerly, wondering just how the other girl would react.

 

Seulgi’s eyebrows furrowed in the middle, the pout pulling her lips together.

 

“Yes, you do! What if I’m out sick for the day?”

 

Wendy’s elbow almost slipped off the table.

 

(What an idiot.)

 

She glanced over at Joy, watching her expression pull into a look of disbelief before it schooled back into her normal sharpness. The taller girl shook her head and turned her attention towards her book, pointedly ignoring Seulgi’s protests.

 

“Hey! Joy! Come on!”

 

Wendy shook her head, her lips pulled into a reluctant smirk as she regarded the youth of today.

 

Cute.

 

The door opened with a loud creak, drawing most of the class’ attention towards it, most of the students murmuring at the sight of the new girl.

 

Wendy’s mouth fell open at the sight of Jessica.

 

Jessica, her handler, was here.

 

Jessica, blonde and annoying, was stalking through the tables as though she was a model on the runway was here in class.

 

Jessica, who was an adult just two weeks ago, was now a teenager like Wendy.

 

Jessica, annoyance reincarnate, shot her a grin and glided over to her seat where a dark haired girl greeted her cheerfully, the blonde reaching out and tapping the other girl on the cheek. Wendy closed hurriedly and glared at the blonde, her scowl deepening when Jessica glanced over her shoulder and then turned away, the grin on her lips widening.

 

Mumbling under her breath, Wendy pushed away from her desk, getting ready to go and confront (smack) the other girl.

 

The door opened again and Wendy promptly sat back down when the teacher walked in briskly, the balding man shouting over the noise, glasses almost slipping off his nose.

 

“Alright! Settle down! You can gossip later!”

 

Wendy pulled a notebook and a pencil case out of her bag, her eyes sliding over to Jessica, trying to communicate her displeasure telepathically.

 

That little sneak.

 

*

 

It took awhile for the teacher to get through roll call as he stopped at the names of the new kids, introducing them to the rest of the class.

 

And when he reached Jessica’s name-

 

“Jessica Jung! Your hair! Didn’t I tell you to dye it back to black last year?”

 

Jessica leant back on her chair lazily, the same smackable grin playing on her lips.

 

“But, sir, this is my natural hair colour.”

 

(Wendy was aghast at her cheek.)

 

A vein throbbed obviously on the teacher’s forehead.

 

“Natural- Jessica Jung!”

 

Jessica raised her hand, fingers pointing towards another blonde in class.

 

“I mean, if we are going to be forcing blondes to dye our hair black, you really should include Nana.”

 

The girl, Nana, turned her head towards Jessica in the same lazy manner that Jessica had brought her into the conversation, an eyebrow raised in her direction.

 

Jessica gave her a smile.

 

Rolling her eyes, Nana turned back towards the teacher, Wendy watching in amusement at how the teacher seemed to resemble a tomato.

 

“I’m also a natural blonde, sir.”

 

Wendy was sure that the teacher would have a heart attack on the spot if the girl sitting next to Nana hadn’t spoken up, soft and airy. Wendy’s gaze travelled over to her, blinking rapidly when she was greeted with a vision.

 

“Sir, maybe we can continue this later? We’re supposed to be going through the schedule right now.”

 

Wendy continued to stare at the pale girl, watching as she brushed her hair from her eyes.

 

The teacher took a deep breath and nodded.

 

“Right. Thank you, Irene.”

 

The teacher continued with his roll call, shooting a glare every once in a while at Jessica and Nana.

 

Wendy barely heard him, her attention focused solely on the girl who was now conversing with Nana softly, a delicate hand coming up and pushing her hair behind her ear.

 

Joy cleared discreetly.

 

“Might want to stop staring, you’re starting to drool.”

 

Wendy averted her eyes quickly, slapping her face with both her hands once she came back down to Earth.

 

What the heck, Wendy? She’s a high school girl, you ert.

 

Joy chuckled under her breath, shaking her head at Wendy. Wendy shot her a faint smile and turned her attention back towards the front of the class, repeating her age in her mind over and over again.

 

(But god, Irene was beautiful.)

 

*

 

“And this is the most important place in school!”

 

Seulgi waved at the cafeteria gallantly, her grin threatening to take over her face.

 

Wendy couldn’t help but return the bright smile with a soft one of her own, her heart clenching tightly at the sight of this young girl.

 

Ah, adorable. Like a forest creature.

 

Joy huffed loudly and pushed between them, Seulgi stumbling slightly.

 

“If you may, I need food right now.”

 

She stalked off quickly, leaving Wendy to gape at Seulgi in confusion. The bright girl brushed her bangs away from her eyes and shrugged, her grin never faltering.

 

“She’s always like this when she’s hungry.”

 

Wendy raised an eyebrow, recalling Joy’s scowling face from class earlier.

 

“Is she always hungry then?”

 

Seulgi laughed and shook her head, her eyes twinkling in amusement as she placed a finger on her lips.

 

“She has her moments. But she’s really sweet. You’ll see!”

 

Though she had her doubts, Wendy merely nodded, allowing herself to be pulled along when Seulgi grasped at her wrist. She followed the taller girl towards the lunch line, moving closer to listen as the din of the cafeteria was growing louder with the ever increasing amount of people.

 

“Me, on the other hand, I am always hungry. Luckily, the cafeteria serves great food so I never have to worry!”

 

Wendy’s lips tugged into another smile.

 

(How long has it been since she could smile like this?)

 

“Come on! I’ll introduce you to some of the aunties, that way, you’ll have good food all year round!”

 

*

 

Seulgi was in the midst of telling a wonderfully hilarious story when Wendy spotted her from the corner of her eye.

 

Turning her head slightly, she caught sight of Irene hovering at the cafeteria line, face pinched with worry as she stared at the menu boards and then back at the lunch ladies. She seemed to be gathering her wits about her, with the way she was clenching and unclenching her fists, shoulders squared tightly.

 

“Another one bites the dust.”

 

Joy’s deadpan comment pulled her out of her reverie, Wendy blinking once at the other girl’s statement.

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

Seulgi hit Joy’s shoulder lightly.

 

“Don’t be mean.”

 

Shrugging yet again, Joy’s impassive face gave nothing away even as she continued to speak.

 

“I’m just stating the truth.”

 

Ignoring Joy, Wendy turned towards Seulgi, eyes widening pleadingly.

 

Seulgi, bless her heart, immediately got her meaning and started explaining, shooting Joy an exasperated look while she was at it.

 

“It’s just Joy being Joy. Irene is known around school for being intelligent and pretty-”

 

She trailed off, raising her eyebrows knowingly.

 

Wendy smacked her fist onto her palm.

 

“Ah! So she gets a lot of attention.”

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

“Yep. I mean, it’s not like it’s unwarranted, she is really very pretty-”

 

Wendy’s eyes slid over to Joy, whose face had turned remarkably black, her lips tugged downwards as she stabbed her chicken violently.

 

“But she doesn’t care about all that. She only hangs out with Nana.”

 

Noting that Joy was progressively getting more upset, Wendy hastily changed the subject.

 

“Ah-! But she looks kind of lost!”

 

Seulgi peeked over Wendy’s shoulder curiously.

 

“Huh, that’s strange. Nana’s usually with her.”

 

And promptly failed at deterring the conversation.

 

(Good job, Wendy.)

 

She tried again.

 

“Maybe she just needs help?”

 

Seulgi looked at Irene again and nodded slowly.

 

“Maybe you’re right. I’ll go see-”

 

Joy’s face darkened further.

 

Wendy stood up hurriedly, heart almost exploding out of her chest.

 

“It’s alright! I can go!”

 

Before Seulgi could say a word, Wendy left, shaking her head at how blind Seulgi was.

 

(Seriously?!

 

How could anyone not feel that killing intention?)

 

She walked towards Irene slowly, unsure of what to do considering her terrible decisions were the reason why she was in this mess. Sighing to herself, Wendy collected her nerves and tapped the lost looking girl on the shoulder, grimacing into a smile when Irene turned towards her.

 

“Hey, are you okay?”

 

Irene blinked at her, brown eyes dark and unassuming under the lights.

 

“I’m sorry, have we met?”

 

Wendy scratched the back of her head, slightly surprised that Irene hadn’t recognised her from class.

 

“I’m Wendy? We’re in the same class.”

 

There was no bloom of recognition in Irene’s eyes, merely a faint flash of curiosity. Irene inclined her head slightly, an introduction slipping past her lips.

 

“I’m Irene.”

 

Wendy scratched her head again, feeling the awkwardness settling around them like a fog. The silence stretched on for a couple of seconds before Irene broke it.

 

“I’m sorry, did you have something to discuss with me?”

 

Irene questioned quietly, her hands folded neatly in front of her as she regarded Wendy with a tilt of her head.

 

Wendy shook her head before changing it into a nod, aware that she looked like a fool right now.

 

“No- I mean, yes!”

 

Irene’s face remained calm.

 

“I saw that you were kind of lost? And thought you needed some help.”

 

Irene nodded in reply.

 

“Ah.”

 

The response tapered off into silence again, looming and suffocating.

 

Wendy felt a bead of sweat travel down her back.

 

(Does this girl not know how to continue a conversation?)

 

Wendy tried again, her voice slightly strained.

 

“So, do you need any help?”

 

Irene regarded her silently before turning towards the boards with a straight face, the angle of her cheekbones catching the light in a glimmer.

 

“I can’t seem to find my wallet.”

 

(If Wendy could, she would fall down with a leg in the air like those animes.)

 

Wendy could feel a headache starting to form, between Seulgi’s adorable obliviousness and Irene’s lack of social ability, a throbbing pain that started at the back of her skull. Digging into her pocket (her skirt had pockets!), she pulled out a crumpled bill and took Irene’s wrist with her free hand.

 

The other girl, despite the suddenness of Wendy’s action, didn’t seem to be bothered, regarding Wendy again with those eyes.

 

Wendy placed the money on her palm and closed her fingers over it.

 

“Here. You can use this first.”

 

Irene glanced down at her fist and then back up at Wendy’s face. Her lips parted slowly, Wendy watching the way it formed words, and she thanked Wendy quietly.

 

“Thank you...”

 

And trailed off expectantly, drawing her arm back to her side.

 

(The urge to imitate an anime character was real.)

 

Huffing loudly, Wendy introduced herself again, feeling the headache travel from the back of her skull to the front.

 

“Wendy. I’m Wendy.”

 

Irene mouthed the words slowly, as though savouring Wendy’s name on her tongue.

 

“Wendy. I’ll remember it this time.”

 

(You should’ve remembered it the first time.)

 

“Thank you, Wendy.”

 

Wendy waved her off, eager to get back to her table and away from this uncomfortable situation she had placed herself in.

 

Seulgi greeted her with a knowing smile when she sat back down, reaching over to poke Wendy’s hand, a teasing lilt entering her voice.

 

“And can you feel the love-”

 

Wendy harrumphed loudly.

 

“I just lent her some money. It’s no big deal.”

 

Seulgi rested her chin on her hands, smirking at Wendy.

 

“That’s the longest I’ve seen Irene engaged in a conversation with someone that’s not Nana.”

 

Wendy snorted under her breath, recalling the conversation she had earlier.

 

“I can’t imagine why.”

 

Seulgi giggled.

 

“Only your first day here and already making friends with Irene. You’ll be making this year an interesting one.”

 

Wendy pulled a face and opened to rebut Seulgi’s statement when a flash of blonde caught her attention. Turning her head, she caught sight of Jessica walking into the cafeteria with the dark haired girl from earlier.

 

Joy mumbled under her breath.

 

“Another one already?”

 

Ignoring Joy, Wendy excused herself quickly, leaving Seulgi to call after her in confusion.

 

“Sorry, I have to go-”

 

“Where are you going? Lunch is almost over-”

 

Wendy barrelled towards Jessica with an intensity that was akin to a comet rushing to Earth, grabbing the blonde’s upper arm roughly. She smiled at her friend, the dark haired girl raising an eyebrow at the display.

“Sorry, can I borrow her for a second?”

 

Without waiting for an answer, she pulled Jessica out of through the doors.

 

*

 

She waited until she was sure they were alone behind the school before rounding up on Jessica, her eyes opened widely.

 

“What are you doing here?!”

 

Jessica shot her the same grin that had Wendy’s hair prickling at her neck, the blonde shrugging carelessly.

 

“I told you, I’m your handler. How can I handle you if I wasn’t around?”

 

Wendy’s arms flailed in all directions.

 

“You didn’t say you’d be a high schooler as well!!”

 

Jessica’s grin widened, teasing and bright.

 

“I never said I wouldn’t be one.”

 

And yet again, Wendy found herself making an inhuman sound, keyboard smash audible in real life.

 

“Why didn’t you just tell me???”

 

Jessica leant back onto the wall, her hands slipping into the pockets of her skirt, shoulders raising as she regarded Wendy with twinkling eyes.

 

“And miss your ever wonderful reaction? Why, you jest!”

 

Wendy made the same sound and threw her hands up into the air, lamenting loudly at the sky.

 

“Why? Why is she like this? Why did you send this person to me?”

 

Jessica laughed loudly, blonde hair falling over her eyes as she doubled over, almost wheezing as she continued to watch Wendy shout at the sky like a drunk.

 

(Old man shook fist at cloud, anyone?)

 

Wendy soon ran out of steam, huffing tiredly from her display. She joined Jessica by the way, leaning heavily against it as the gravel scuffed at her shoes. Taking in a deep breath, Wendy blew her bangs away from her face, her question exiting her lips and lingering in the midst of hot air, already resigned to Jessica’s continued presence in her life.

 

“So, you’ll be here every step of the way?”

 

Jessica hummed quietly.

 

“Yes. But you don’t have to worry, I won’t interfere with anything.”

 

She paused for a moment, Wendy nodding at her statement before choking on her own saliva when Jessica continued.

 

“Unless I see an opportunity to, of course.”

 

Wendy slapped at her chest to dislodge the air stuck in , croaking feebly at Jessica.

 

“You’re going to give me an anxiety disorder.”

 

Another laugh slipped past Jessica’s lips, the blonde reaching over to pat Wendy on the back.

 

“Don’t worry too much about it. I doubt you’d need much interference from me, if what I heard from the wiretaps is true.”

 

Wendy answered automatically.

 

“If we’re talking about what Seulgi said, it is not true-”

 

Wendy paused for a moment, Jessica’s previous words just sinking in.

 

“Wait, wiretap?!”

 

“Yep.”

 

Jessica popped her lips at the end, her grin tugging the corners of her lips even higher.

 

Wendy’s voice raised an octave.

 

“Isn’t that ILLEGAL?!”

 

Jessica hedged away from an actual answer; choosing to state the obvious instead.

 

“You signed the contract.”

 

The headache that Wendy had nursed from the cafeteria was now gripping at her brain. She gave Jessica an incredulous look, repeating a line she had read from the contract.

 

“It said you’d be conducting constant observation, not listen to my every move!”

 

Jessica raised her shoulders, her palms open and limp by her side.

 

“How am I supposed to observe if I don’t listen?”

 

Wendy pointed at her eyes.

 

“With your eyes!!”

 

Jessica gave her a deadpan look, her arms dropping to her side.

 

“I’m an auditory learner.”

 

Wendy threw her hands up into the air again.

 

“What else have you not told me about this Re:Life?”

 

A wide smile graced Jessica’s lips, the kind that hid the eyes ever so slightly, bright enough to be honest and yet just skirting on the edge of a lie.

 

“Nothing much. Except for the stalking.”

 

“So you do admit it’s stalking.”

 

“Consensual stalking. You signed the contract.”

 

Wendy sighed, a deep sound from the depths of her chest.

 

“Ah. Well. It can’t get any worse.”

 

*

 

She returned to the classroom just as the bell rang, receiving curious glances from both Seulgi and Joy. Looking to her side, Wendy realised that Jessica had fallen in step with her, making them look a lot closer than they were supposed to be.

 

(Though, she supposed her attitude in the cafeteria gave her away.)

 

She took a step away from Jessica and exclaimed loudly, clasping Jessica’s shoulders forcefully.

 

(She ignored the wince the blonde gave her.)

 

“Well, that was a good catch up! Didn’t expect to see you in the same school again!”

 

Wendy waved awkwardly and moved back towards her seat, Seulgi chirping up the moment she sat down.

 

“I didn’t realise you knew Jessica!”

 

Letting out a stilted laugh, Wendy waved her hand in front of her face.

 

“We knew each other from a previous school but didn’t keep in touch. Didn’t think I would see her here.”

 

(At all.

 

Definitely not here.)

 

Seulgi accepted her answer easily (bless her soul) but Joy gave her a searching gaze, eyes roving across Wendy’s face. Wendy’s lips quirked at a corner, her fingers forming fists in front of her and she smiled nervously at Joy.

 

Joy shrugged and turned back towards her notebook.

 

*

 

“Alright, class. We’ll begin with some revision, in case you guys decide to go bleach your minds during the break.”

 

The teacher clapped her hands twice, drawing her attention to the words she had written on the board.

 

“Pop quiz!”

 

The class collectively groaned.

 

The teacher passed the papers to the student up front, explanation following each motion.

 

“Don’t be too stressed out, it’s just a quiz, doesn’t count towards your final grade.”

 

Wendy grabbed the sheets from Seulgi and took one, passing the rest of the stack to the person behind her.

 

“Though, if you fail, you’ll have to retake them till you’re passing them. You really shouldn’t be failing at something you’ve already learned.”

 

Wendy inhaled sharply when she looked at her paper, the numbers and lines jumbled up in front of her. Her eyes widened further when she saw alphabets in the same numerical equations that she was sure she had learned before. The confusion didn’t let up on the next page either; when she saw shapes and angles.

 

(She could feel her brain imploding.)

 

Beside her, Joy was muttering to herself, the taller girl already picking up a pencil.

 

“Alright, you can start now! You have an hour.”

 

Wendy picked up a pencil reluctantly and wrote her name.

 

And then stared at the paper like it was an oasis and she was a dying person in the desert.

 

What the heck is this?!

 

Joy was already scribbling away, the white of the paper marked black steadily. In front of her, Seulgi had gone at her questions with gusto, a seriousness that somehow seemed odd coming from the chipper girl. Grimacing, Wendy looked back down on her paper, scribbling something that looked vaguely like the equation Joy had written.

 

How could I have forgotten everything?!

 

She heaved a sigh of relief when she saw a multiple choice question. Praying to God, she closed her eyes and jabbed at an answer, circling the answer that she landed on. She proceeded to do that for the rest of the multiple choices.

 

Why am I like this?!

 

Wendy spent the rest of the hour trying to figure out a proper work out for the long answer questions, knowing she failed miserably by the time the teacher called for a time out.

 

She handed the quiz over to Seulgi with a despondent look. The other girl gave a cursory glance at the paper, her left eyebrow rising comically when she saw the drawing of a person saying sorry on the front. Stifling a giggle, Seulgi placed her own quiz on top of Wendy’s and passed it over to the front. Waiting for the teacher to be appropriately distracted, she then turned around, her eyes kind and her tone low.

 

“Had a bit of trouble, huh?”

 

Wendy chuckled, disheartened over her lack of memory recall.

 

“Math isn’t really my strong suit.”

 

Seulgi reached over and patted Wendy on her hand, her lips pulled into a smile.

 

“Hey, no worries. Can’t be good at everything.”

 

Wendy chuckled again, her mind wandering to the time when she was in high school and acing everything.

 

Oh, how the tables have turned.

 

“You know what? We can always review together! Two heads are better than one and all that!”

 

(Honestly, how does someone like Seulgi exist?

 

Naive, oblivious and oh so pure.)

 

Wendy’s head snapped up quickly, eyes widening at the offer.

 

“Really? Are you sure?”

 

Seulgi nodded happily.

 

“Yeah! I mean, I’m not bad at math, so I definitely can help you. Plus, if we get stuck-”

 

Her eyes slid over to Joy, who was trying to look like she wasn’t listening in to the conversation.

 

(Unfortunately for her, Seulgi was ever so in tune with her.

 

Despite her obliviousness.)

 

“Joy can help us! She’s a whiz at this.”

 

As if on cue, Joy scowled at Seulgi.

 

“Stop offering my help without my consent.”

 

“But you always help me.”

 

“Yeah, you. I didn’t offer my help to Wendy.”

 

Seulgi pouted again, leaving Wendy amused at how Joy was already cracking.

 

“Come on! We’re all friends!”

 

Joy’s gaze landed on Wendy, a sharp look entering her eyes. Wendy felt a shiver run down her spine; it was very much like how a shark would look at prey. Clearly unhappy, Joy agreed grouchily.

 

“Fine. But you owe me.”

 

Seulgi clapped her hands excitedly, her happiness infectious enough to pull a faint smile from Joy.

 

“Yay! Group study!”

 

Wendy smiled at both of them, shaking her head at young love and crushes.

 

It made her nostalgic of the days when she had struggled with a crush as well.

 

*

 

A couple of seats over, Jessica was looking over with interest, a fond smile on her lips when she saw Wendy making friends.

 

*

 

“That wasn’t too bad.”

 

Wendy caught sight of her face in her bathroom mirror, looked at the glow on her skin and the twitch of a smile at the corner of her lips.

 

“Maybe it will help me.”

 

She stared at her young face for a bit before turning away, leaving the bathroom with a click of the light switch.

 

It was just a year to go.

 

*

 

“Hi, good morning.”

 

Wendy smiled at one of her classmates as she entered the room, shifting her body to one side to let him out. She nodded at some of the others who had looked up when she came in, making her way genially towards her desk, noting that both Seulgi and Joy had yet to arrive.

 

“Huh, completely pegged them to be early arrivals. Guess I was wrong.”

 

Wendy shrugged to herself and sat down, her attention drawn to a small paper box on her desk. Curious, she pulled off the top slowly, eyes widening when she saw a bill folded into a shape of a swan. At the bottom of the box, a note was written in beautiful penmanship.

 

Thank you for your help, Wendy.

 

A bark of laughter escaped her lips.

 

How cute.

 

She took out the swan and admired Irene’s handiwork.

 

“Do you like it?”

 

And promptly hit the bottom of the table with her knees. Rubbing at them, she glared ruefully at Irene, her fingers loosening against the slightly crushed swan.

 

“I did. Until I crushed it.”

 

Irene stared at her in confusion.

 

“It’s not real. It wouldn’t hurt.”

 

Barely stifling a giggle at the look on Irene’s face, Wendy cleared with cough, lifting up the deformed art piece between her thumb and her finger.

 

“Thanks for returning the money. But why a swan?”

 

A look akin to pride was painted along the smile that tugged at Irene’s lips, the other girl lifting her shoulders as she explained.

 

“I looked it up. They said it’s a way to repay money. The internet is never wrong.”

 

This time, Wendy did not hold back her laughter, her cheeks hurting as she regarded this rare specimen of a human being in front of her.

 

She is so cute, what the heck.

 

Wendy pressed the swan flat gently, aware of Irene’s eyes on her. Placing it into her wallet carefully, she zipped it with a flourish and grinned up at Irene, watching the way Irene’s eyes had shone at the sight, a flicker of an ember burning at the end of a campfire.

 

“I’ll treasure it well. Thank you.”

 

Irene nodded in welcome, a clear sign of dismissal.

 

(Or so Wendy thought.)

 

She put her wallet back into her back, ready to turn away when she realised Irene was still standing by her desk. Her fingers had found their way to her skirt, Irene twisting the material, nervousness wrapping every move as she continued to stare at Wendy. Wendy pulled out her book slowly, her eyebrows meeting in the middle, not saying anything to give the other girl some time to gather herself.

 

Irene drew a breath, seemingly taking in courage in that single motion and opened to speak.

 

“How do you make friends?”

 

Wendy blinked rapidly.

 

(Of all the questions, that was something she did not expect.)

 

Wendy folded her fingers together, placing her hands in front of her as she regarded carefully.

 

All she saw on Irene’s face was determination and genuine curiosity.

 

Wendy tried answering with the same seriousness that Irene had asked her question, her words considerably simple for the effect she wanted.

 

“I just...made friends? I said hi, talked to people and made friends.”

 

Irene grew contemplative, pulling Wendy’s words in her mind, Wendy watching the expression on her face never change even as she pulled at the simple answer within the confines of her brain.

 

“But... You made friends with Seulgi and Joy after a day. That’s remarkable.”

 

(Immediately, Seulgi’s cheerful disposition made known in her mind.)

 

Wendy let out a chuckle and shook her head.

 

“I think it’s more like she adop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter