Chapter 7

Office Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was no call or text from Jeongguk, nothing. It was already nearing his hangout with Bogum, and Taehyung was almost ready to go. He wasn’t planning on dressing up to impress Bogum either, he’s been there and done that.

They were friends for so long and Taehyung had developed a huge crush on him, which lasted a good few months. The thing that held his feelings back was the fact that Bogum was seeing someone else at the time.

The day Bogum decided to leave with his boyfriend to his hometown, Taehyung confessed his feelings for him, but wished him all the best. That was it, that was the last time he spoke to Bogum. Throughout the rest of the time, he’s heard from different people about him coming back to the city, single.

By then, Taehyung had already moved on from his crush. He drowned himself in work and started to date other people, pushing an old crush behind. To have him come back into his life was nice though, it was good to see him again, just not wanting more.

Grabbing his phone off the dresser, he leaves the room, flipping Jimin off as he tells he’s leaving.

He meets Bogum at the arcade, already seeing him holding a tiny teddy bear. “Already starting without me?” Taehyung says.

“For you,” Bogum smiles, handing Taehyung the bear. “I just had to win you something before you came. Do you like it?”

Taehyung looks at the bear, caressing the top of it’s fuzzy head. “I do, it’s super cute, thanks.”

“You’re welcome, but I think you’re cuter.” Bogum wraps his arm around Taehyung’s shoulder, looking around the place. “Which game do you want to play first?”

Taehyung looks around and sees a game with two big plastic guns attached to it. “That one,” he points, making his was to it. “Loser has to buy ice cream after dinner.”

“You’re on.”

Three hours later and Taehyung is laughing loudly as he watches Bogum lose to a four year old kid playing whac-a-mole. He enjoyed watching a stunned Bogum look so lost as the little boy hits them fast, leaving Bogum just to stare. “Aw, come here,” Taehyung coos, arms open, bringing him in for a hug. “It was nice to see you defeated for once.”

“And to a kid,” Bogum fake cries into Taehyung’s hold. “I think I need you to buy me ice cream now.”

“After dinner you big baby,” Taehyung giggles. He had to admit, he did have a blast, more fun than he thought. “Where did you plan on taking me to eat now?”

Bogum didn’t want to let go of Taehyung, he liked the warmth that he gave him. After hearing from Jimin that Taehyung was still single, he had to get in touch with him to have a chance, something he missed out on a long time ago.

Now he had no one to hold him back. “I know you’ll love this place. I remember, you had an appetite for garlic bread from that Italian restaurant, Battalion.

“You remember that?” Taehyung ate there before with Bogum and his other friends, and he’s only been there again just a handful of times since then.

“Of course I do!” How could Bogum forget how Taehyung ate the whole basket of breadsticks just by himself also. “We always had to order more breadsticks because of you,” he laughs.

“I guess when we go, we have to order another basket of it,” Taehyung says. “I’m hungry now just thinking about it.”

“Well then, let’s get some food in you!”

Dinner went by fast for the both of them, catching up with more things while they sat and ate. Taehyung even told him about his past relationships, plus the prank Jimin had pulled on him, causing Bogum to laugh hard.

“And you seriously invited your boss over after all that?” Bogum laughs, wiping his tears.

Taehyung cutely pouts, taking a sip of his wine. “I actually ended up having a crush on him…”

“You…you really like him still, don’t you?” Bogum asked.

Taehyung nods as he stares at his wine glass. “A lot. It just he’s straight,” he sighs.

So his instincts were right about Taehyung and his boss. Reaching his hand across the table, Bogum places it over Taehyung’s hand. “Hopefully one day you’ll forget him, until then, I can only try to take your mind off of him.”

“Maybe,” Taehyung whispers. He wasn’t sure if he could want more, but after tonight, he just might never know. He couldn’t hold on to a straight guy either, that would be a waste.

**

“Here’s your McDonald’s,” Taehyung says, tossing Jimin a bag.

“Thanks! How was your date?” Jimin asks, sitting up from the sofa, opening up his bag to see what was inside.

Taehyung sat besides Jimin, a smile plastered on his face. “I had a blast.”

“Ohhh?” Jimin pulls out his fries, popping a few in his mouth. “Tell me more.”

“We just played games at the new arcade in town and went to dinner. Oh and I treated him to ice cream afterwards…it was really a nice time, I was surprised.” Taehyung bites his bottom lip as he smiles, trying to control it.

“Look at you,” Jimin teases. “All happy and , I’m proud. See, maybe I was right about Bogum.”

“Mmm….maybe, I still don’t know just yet,” Taehyung says, playing with the hem of his shirt. “I still like Guk.”

“I know, but it’s never gonna happen with him, Tae, that’s all I’m saying.”

“You’re probably right.” Taehyung reaches in his pocket for his phone, hoping for a text or call from Jeongguk, and still…nothing.

 

Taehyung was now back at work, handing Jeongguk his morning coffee. “I’ll get going now.”

“How was your date?” Jeongguk asks, blowing at the rim of his drink. “If you don’t mind me asking.”

“It…it was good, I had fun.” Taehyung didn’t want to talk about it with Jeongguk, he was the last person he wanted to tell about it.

“Did you take him flowers as well?” Jeongguk asks, a smile hinting on his lips.

Taehyung narrowed his eyes at Jeongguk, wondering if he was picking on him now. “No, I don’t take flowers to anyone.”

Jeongguk raised a brow, putting his drink down. “Hmm…”

“I only did it for you since Jimin said it was your favorite, okay? I…I was really excited about it, even if I didn’t know you.” Taehyung gulped, looking down his black shoes.

“Sit,” Jeongguk commands. “Let’s discuss about we were to talk about Friday night.”

Taehyung fidgets a bit before sitting down on the chair that was in front of Jeongguk’s desk, getting nervous. “I’m perfectly fine as I said…”

“Then why wo-“

“He pranked me, that’s all,” Taehyung quickly says. “As I told you before, I thought it was a date…”

“You also told me you got your memos mixed up, not a prank.” Jeongguk sits up straighter, leaning forward on his desk. “What prank are you talking about?”

Taehyung glances at Jeongguk’s eyes, nervously picking at his fingernails. “Please don’t get mad, especially at Jimin.”

“Is there something I should know about?”

Taehyung just nods, avoiding the stare from Jeongguk. “I was told it was a date…he told me your likes, hence why I kept trying to talk to you about different things, not because I’m missing a few screws.”

“Ah…” Jeongguk patiently sits, his hand placed under his chin, waiting for Taehyung to continue.

“I um…I really needed a job, which he knew as well, so…I guess at the same time he was helping me out? I don’t know, all I know is that I didn’t snap to it being a job interview….I feel so stupid for even thinking back to that Friday.”

“Should I fire Jimin for including me into this scheme of his?” Jeongguk asked. “This is my company, not a prank place for anyone, especially if I’m involved.”

“No! Please don’t fire him, he’s a good worker, he just expected me to realize it, but I was so excited and happy that I dismissed all the freaking signs! Please don’t get mad at him…” Taehyung would cry if Jimin got fired, and to show how sorry he was, he kneeled on the floor, head bowed.

Jeongguk stood up, walking around the desk. “I won’t fire him, since he actually brought you to me.”

Taehyung looks up at Jeongguk, tears in his eyes, his heart bursting with hearts at the words that shouldn’t affect them like they did.

Jeongguk holds a hand out for Taehyung to take, pulling him up. “You’re the best worker I’ve had by my side, hands down. If it wasn’t for him, I would still be behind on a lot of things.”

“I…thank you?” Taehyung was at a loss for words, his racing fast being close to him.

“And thank you, for showing me just how dedicated you are so far.” Jeongguk pats Taehyung’s shoulder with a smile. “No more pranks, got it? Keep doing what you’re doing and I’ll give you a big raise in three months.”

Taehyung was floored. He already got paid a lot of money, so more money was just the topping of his cake. “Wow…thank you, sir!”

“What, no more Gukkie?” Jeongguk chuckles.

“I- stop teasing me!” Taehyung whines, hiding his embarrassed face.

“It’s cute.”

Taehyung uncovers his eyes, his heart almost stopping. “What?”

Jeongguk clears his throat, looking at his watch. “Oh, I have a meeting to get to, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Already?” Taehyung looks at his watch and before he could say anything, Jeongguk is out of the office. “But…it’s not till…noon…”

It was only ten.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter