Weight

Yes It's You [BPConverts]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This might be the first time Chae has ever made a mistake, because I'm not falling.

 

"Chaeyoung-ah, I've fallen."

 

"Hmmm... Figuratively and literally, I guess."

 

---

 

Another week has passed and the closest I've gotten to Jennie was when all of us ate together. She barely went to trainings and workouts, neither did she join us during lag or leisure times. I've tried distracting myself and so I went with Lisa and Joohyun to their work a few times and visited the café more often than scheduled. I've spent more time out so I could leave the apartment and restrained myself from thinking about Jennie's nearness that I could not bear to ignore anymore.

 

Two days before the first trial mission, Chae and I spent the whole afternoon drafting a plan of action. With all her fascination and proficiency with computers, she had this strange habit of using a sketchbook and a pencil when trying to organize her ideas. And that included mission strategies, training schedules, grocery lists, and a few pages dedicated to Joohyun's cocktail formulary. It's amazing how the two actually enjoy tinkering with liquor; Joohyun with the flavor and Chae with the chemical composition.

 

"Jisoo-eonnie, I have a sharpener in my room. Mind if you get it? It's in a Mason jar by Jennie-eonnie's bookshelf."

 

I didn't even wait for Chae to finish. Knowing that this might be my only chance to enter their room with an actual justifiable purpose, I almost jumped my way to the second floor. It was just my luck that Jennie was in the shower. I hoped she takes her time, so I could muse longer at her personal space.

 

I opened the door and spotted the bookcase immediately. If there was one thing that instantly catches anyone's attention, it's that shelf, not even her bed, which if I may add looks barely used.

 

I couldn't help but be drawn toward the odd variety of her book collection. Unsurprisingly, there were books on Lymphoma and other malignancies, zoology, pharmacology, pathology and a bunch of other thick medical books. One may carelessly assume that she's taking up a medical degree until they realize that also in the same shelf were references about the Korean constitution, ICC, CIA, FBI, forensics, criminology, political science and ballistics, and so one starts questioning the initial supposition. And on the bottom shelves is an interesting plethora of widely varying fiction genre.

 

There's mythology and some ancient literature. Hmm... That could explain her supernatural old maiden aura.

 

There's Stoker, Poe and Plath which probably relates to her inner pandemonium and unsettling savagery.

 

Note to self: She has a weird selection of books.

 

But I'm surprised she reads Austen. I didn't think she was the type who would dig Mr. Darcy.

 

There were old children's books which I suppose were from when she was still learning how to read. And there's a few classical and contemporary fiction I've only heard of but not read.

 

Seeing The Little Prince made my hand automatically retract it from the neatly organized stack. In a second I was already scanning the pages of familiar colorful illustration.

 

For Jen. Saranghae. 1973.

 

1973?! This is probably among the first Korean translations of the book. She'd kill me if I damaged it. But who's Jen?

 

"I'm sure the apartment is not too big for you to get lost."

 

. She showers damn fast. Jennie's voice was like a pump of espresso and a gush of epinephrine, it really jumpstarts all my cells. I tried hard to keep calm, and prevented myself from scurrying out of the room and hide behind Chae. With her tone, I couldn't be certain if she was upset, all I knew was that the last thing I wanted to witness was her going berserk about finding me here. Another shooting stint would probably give me a heart attack. That's if I'm even lucky not to get shot.

 

Similar to a movie scene, she entered the room in her pink bathrobe partially drying her hair with a matching-color towel and there I was caressing the spines of her books. My jaw dropped to the lovely sight. Of course, my mouth hung open without my prior knowledge. I can't even control my own body parts when she's around, her presence is causing them to rebel against me.

 

I swear I could hear even the pulsations in my brain but I was determined not to panic... and stutter.

 

"And if you're looking for some vampire-themed literature, I'm not the type who reads those." I knew it was an inside joke since they call me the vampire behind my back because I always wore black and hid myself when we're outside during daytime. But I'm not sure if I should laugh.

 

"Ahh... I can see that. You're just the type who reads nursery rhymes and do-it-yourself handguns."

 

I was prepared to see her raise an eyebrow to my answer, but instead, she smiled for half a second and shook her head. Alright, I wasn't sure about the smile. But I swear I saw the corner of her lips move up a millimeter or two. I'd take that any day for a smile.

 

However, my elated mood suddenly turned to panic when I saw her pull the sash of her robe. Is she going to disrobe in front of me? Has hell finally closed its doors and heaven is about to open?? I wasn't fast enough to turn around or bury my head in the small book in my hand but I was quick enough to shut my eyes tightly but my hormone-swarmed mind still managed to imagine what I wasn't seeing.

 

"What's wrong with you?"

 

"Ah... Uhh... 'Coz you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter