Jelly Tots

The Candy Store

Sooyoung never really had a thing for sweets. Whether it was ice cream, chocolate, sours, she just didn’t like it very much. That still didn’t stop her from going to the candy store a few blocks away from her house every Friday though, even if for the most part it was for the cute cashier that worked there.

The first time she had set foot in the shop was when she was about seven years old, the candy store was one of the many treasured places her and her friends went to.

Even if you didn’t have the money to buy anything, the store was a place full of hidden treasures, with fun lurking around every corner. There were colorful animatronics that handed out free sweets, mini-games to play with friends, the “taste corner” where you could try and test the latest candy out, a photo booth that printed pictures out on candy paper, and so much more.

It was just like a toy store, except everything was made out of candy.

 

For kids, it was a paradise, but adults enjoyed the store just as much. The candy store was owned by a man that called himself Mister Fizz, he loved making and selling candy, and always had the funniest stories to tell. He always wore a green suit and a top hat, and instead of a rose he had a big lollipop in his pocket, occasionally giving it a kid after which a different lollipop would magically pop up and fill his pocket again.

 

Back in the day when he opened up the store he was said to have a slick hairstyle with a big curl on top, resembling a greaser hairstyle, and although he almost looked exactly the same now other than being older, the only thing that changed was that his previously chocolate brown hair was now grey, with here and there a white streak.

These days his spot behind the counter was now filled by a girl that looked around the same age as Sooyoung, if not younger. When they were small she remembered seeing her in the store too, but never interacted with her as she’d shy away and hide behind Mister Fizz.

 

If Sooyoung had to describe how much she changed compared to back then, she’d say she’s like a flower. Back then she was like a little bud still unsure about everything, but that little bud turned into one of the prettiest flowers once she fully bloomed.

 

 

Sooyoung gently pushed the door to the shop open, triggering multiple sensors that caused the toy bird to come out of the cuckoo clock, the railway train made out of waffles with chocolate to whistle and the gummy bear animatronics to welcome her, followed by the sweet voice of the girl behind the counter as she welcomed Sooyoung inside.

Multiple kids were already running around the store, making all kinds of noise as they bumped into other kids and yelled about all the candy that was available.

Sooyoung didn’t mind the ruckus though, going to the candy store had become such a habit for her that she became immune to the screeches of children, allowing her to go to the counter unbothered, that is, before she roughly got pulled towards the chocolate fountain by the 3 goblins as sooyoung called them.

Their actual names were Yeojin, Hyejoo and Gowon, but she became so accustomed to calling them goblins that it had stuck.

 

“What do you guys think you’re doing?!” She angrily whisper-yelled, plopping down on the cushions that were placed around the fountain. The 3 kids ignored her as they grabbed whatever they could and dipped it in the chocolate fountain before they gulped everything down, all in a matter of 3 seconds.

“We’re here to devise a plan for you,” The tallest out of them, Hyejoo, said. “unless you want to keep coming to this store every week to exchange 5 words with chu- I mean, you-know-who, and then buy candy you don’t even like only to give it away, and unless you don’t mind being alone forever and dying alo-“

“Hey, you little- I’m not JUST here to see her nor am I going to die alone, thankyou.”

“What’s your other reason to come here then? You don’t even like sweets.” Gowon said, or at least Sooyoung thought that was Gowon as her face was completely covered in chocolate. Somehow.

“..You guys?” They all looked at each other for a few seconds before simultaneously cracking up while Yeojin made puking sounds in the background.

“Alright you got me, but still, I wasn’t planning on just buying something and then leaving, not today.”

“Oh?” that got Yeojin to stop her fake puking.

“Yeah. I’m going to ask her out today.”

.

..

Sooyoung wasn’t sure what to expect, but for all three of them to burst out into laughter was not one of them. Actually, it was, but she tried putting that thought aside.

“Hey, stop laughing I’m being serious!” she wined, trying to get the chocolate smudged kids to quiet down before the entire store would be looking at them.

After a minute of two she realized they wouldn’t stop laughing until she actually got up and asked her, so she did.

 

The brunette behind the counter just handed over a little bag of candy to a kid that happily walked away, as she noticed Sooyoung walking up to her. Her wide smile caught her off guard, almost making her turn around and dash away until she saw the three kids lined up behind one of the racks giving her a thumbs up.

Somewhat encouraged she got up to the counter, greeting her with a soft hi. Chuu gave her a big smile, “Hi! What can I get for you?”

 

“100 grams of Jelly Tots, please.” Sooyoung wasn’t sure how she’d ask her yet, so she had to think of a plan quickly.

Her train of thoughts got interrupted when she noticed that the pot of Jelly Tots was slightly off the shelve, and when Chuu reached over to get to the pot the soft touch of her finger was enough to make the pot fall off, making her fall off the ladder as Sooyoung hadn’t been there to catch her, having no idea how she got there in the first place.

“Are you ok??” She asked, quickly putting her down again as she made sure she was stable again.

“I’m ok, thanks! Uh-“

 

“Sooyoung. Ha Sooyoung.”

 

“Thankyou Sooyoung!” Chuu gave her a toothy grin, acting as though she didn’t almost fall to death a few seconds ago. Okay, death might be a bit too much, but still.

Sooyoung felt her cheeks warm up as she realized they had been standing there for a few seconds, quickly stepping back and leaving Chuu to her work. She seemingly also just snapped out of her daze as she confusedly looked around, remembering what she was doing in the first place.

The pot that had previously been standing on the shelf was now on the ground, and an immense wave of guilt washed over Sooyoung.

 

“I’m really sorry about the pot, if you want I can repay you- it was my fault it fell in the first place, I don’t even like candy that much yet I had to ask for those and now-“

“Hey, don’t worry, it’s ok!” Chuu reassured her, giggling a bit at Sooyoungs rambling.

“It’s not your fault at all, it could have happened with anyone. S- Wait. You don’t like candy?”

 

Oh god. Sooyoung felt her soul leaving her body, why did she have to catch up on that part, or no, why did she even let it slip in the first place-

“Uh. I mean, not really. I guess?”

 

Chuu blinked a few times, looking at the pot on the ground and then back at Sooyoung before quirking her eyebrow up, seemingly amused. At this point Sooyoung feared for her life, or more like for the fact that Chuu was probably figuring out that she had been coming to the same candy store for the past few years, every single Friday, even though she doesn’t even like candy.

“..Wait.” Here it comes. “So you’ve been coming here for all these years, always to buy the exact same candy, which you don’t even like. In fact, you don’t like candy in general.” Sooyoung nodded in defeat.

“You’ve got me.” Chuu let an exaggerated gasp out, covering with her hands. If Sooyoung wasn’t thinking about jumping of a cliff she would have found it cute. Nevermind she still did, but back to the cliff.

 

“Ok.. Sooyoung!” She suddenly yelled, making Sooyoung jump.

“Yes!?”

“Are you free tomorrow!”

“Yes!?”

“Why was that a question?”

“Sorry, yes!”

“Ok! Meet me here tomorrow at 1pm!”

“Why-,” Chuu glared at her, “ok!” Chuu stopped glaring, Chuu grinned. Happy Chuu.

“Alright, it’s a deal!” At this point the girl was practically bouncing, her skirt following her motions as she excitedly bounced around. It was impossible not too catch some of her excitement, Sooyoung felt all fuzzy inside, like some kind of fizzy soda. It might have been because of the environment ofcourse, candy stores tend to do that. She smiled at the excited girl as she suddenly remembered the pot that fell on the ground.

“Oh, right. Let me help you clean that up.”

Chuu made some kind of “tututu” noise, “It’s ok, really. Just come tomorrow ok, it’ll be fun!”

Sooyoung grinned at her, “alright, I’ll be there.”

 

They waved their goodbyes at each other, hearing the bell (and the cheering of the 3 goblins) behind her as the door fell back into the lock. She had to admit, she was excited about tomorrow.

 

Even if it involved her eating candy all day and probably ending up with diabetes.