Just Once Glance

Not Anymore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He tried for a smile, but his lips just wouldn’t curve and his eyes wouldn’t twinkle. Instead he looked down at his food, pushing it from side to side.

With a sigh, Taekwang pushed himself up. The chair fell to the floor behind him. 

“Yah Gong Tae, what’s wrong?” Song Joo’s voice called.

Realizing that everyone was now staring at him, he coughed. “Sorry. I’m just not hungry.”

They all nodded. His heart fell as Eunbi didn’t even bother to look up. She simply nodded, staring at the table, and turned back to Yi-Ahn. 

He wasn’t welcome there anymore. He didn’t need someone to spell it out for him to know. As he scanned the cafeteria every day, he would see them all laughing and teasing each other. As soon as he gets within fice feet of their table, it would quiet.

They were all close. They had all known each other for years. Except Eunbi. But she still had found a way to slip inside their tight circle.

He wasn’t even aware he was walking those familiar steps until the cool air greeted him. Leaning against the rooftop’s railing, he let out a sigh.

“What am I even doing?” He muttered.

The school bell’s ringing was quiet and just barely audible. It cut through the silence of the lonely rooftop. Still he didn’t move. 

With a sad smile, he breathed in Seoul’s air. He lied on the school rooftop. The only place where he didn’t feel like an outcast. He closed his eyes, hoping for a nap. That way he’d have an escape for even just a little while. Still his exhaustion refused to overcome him. The sun was blinding to his eyes as he opened them.

He let loose one final breath. Taekwang heaved as he pushed himself up. Slipping his hands into the pockets of those gray pants, he trudged to the door. With his head bowed, he entered the classroom. 

The teacher didn’t even bother to acknowledge his tardiness. And he almost wanted the teacher to. Someone to acknowledge his existence.

Lying his head down on his arms, he took a seat. His eyes fluttered shut. The bell rung and the class groaned as the English teacher entered.

“Lonely, class, does anyone know what that means?”

The usual kids raised their hands. The teacher looked around for any surprising volunteer, but resolved to just calling the name she had already called two times.

“To be isolated.”

He listened as his classmates echoed after the teacher, accepting the new word. 

“Lonely.” They repeated over and over again upon her request. He felt as if they were taunting him. This word, that described him so well, was more welcoming than he was.

~

The final bell rung and he listened as his classmates trickled out. His eyes slowly opened. The room was empty. He didn’t embrace the familiar feeling of loneliness.

Taekwang offered a smile to his driver. But the older just ignored his grin and opened the door. As soon as the door shut behind him, the student’s smile fell.

Pushing the door open, he entered the empty house. Passing by his father’s unlit office, his eyes flickered downwards. After their short encounter when his father was being taken away for questioning, he’d thought they’d make amends. He was proven incorrect as his father would always come home late now for a reason he didn’t know.

Tossing his body onto the unmade bed, he c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter