Hint Of The Decade

The Nine Year Itch

3:50 P.M

 

 

Jongin isn’t sure how long he slept, but the next thing he registers is stirring awake to a car alarm going off outside. Even though it’s been a good minute since he slept this long, Jongin is still surprised at how rested he feels. In fact, with his headache gone without a trace, he’s able to drag himself out of bed without taking a single Advil. 

 

However, Jongin finds himself reaching for his bedside table, anyway. To his surprise, he finds an old bottle of antidepressants, which he used to take for nearly two years before substituting them with regular Advils. The blue, slightly larger tablets feel almost foreign on his tongue after he dumps two in his palm. He probably should have broken the capsules first, since they nearly get stuck in his throat going down.

 

Jongin's gut churns the moment his feet hit the carpet. He doesn’t even bother trying to ignore the fact that the bar opens three hours earlier on Wednesdays, and since stepping into the office is off his to-do list for today, the urge to bask in the neon lights and nothingness for just a few hours only skyrockets. Despite his cravings, though, Jongin finds himself unable to head for the door no matter how hard he tries. He isn’t sure if he’s got his overwhelming fatigue to blame, but he ends up shoving the thought.

 

Jongin ignores his aching biceps as he reaches into his back pocket for his cell phone. One missed call greets him, but Jongin finds himself more hung up on the fact that Jungah’s last lesson ends in roughly ten minutes than anything else. Knowing his mother definitely isn’t planning on picking her up, he knows that he’s got no other choice than to drag himself to his car and drive over. 

 

Even though he might arrive late because of it, Jongin also knows that he would rather die than step outside in his filthy suit and even filthier tie. The splitting pain in his spine briefly disappears when he practically rips his dress shirt off and tosses it on the floor. Jongin doesn’t even need to look at himself to know that he’s covered in darkening bruises, and he’s surprised that he even makes it three steps to grab his jeans with his right shin feeling like it’s about to shatter.

 

Jongin yanks the first hoodie he sees off its hanger before trudging towards the bathroom. To his dismay, he realizes that he’s grabbed the oversized, pink hoodie his mother gifted him nearly a decade ago, after he expressed disdain for his ever growing baby bump. Jongin is sort of glad that he chose to keep it after all these years, because its warm fluffiness makes the cramping in his torso melt away after he finagles it over his head. Now that he isn’t eighth months pregnant, it sort of resembles a mini dress more than a hoodie, but Jongin pays it no mind since he isn’t planning on meeting anybody else besides Jungah. And to say that she’s about far worse things than his terrible fashion sense would be an understatement.

 

 

4:10 P.M

 

 

Sehun doesn’t think he’s seen this many children since he was in the fourth grade himself.

 

In fact, he contemplates stepping aside to avoid getting trampled by the hoard of ten year olds that come rushing down the hallways after he swings the front doors open. He’s thankful that there are other parents hanging around at this hour, since it saves him from looking less awkward during his search for Jungah’s classroom. 

 

Sehun is lucky, because the colorful walls and drawings strewn about everywhere also save him from having to use his nonexistent navigation skills. They eventually lead him to a closed, lime green door. And, judging by the commotion taking place on the other side, he's relieved to realize that he hasn’t arrived late, after all. 

 

Peeking through the tiny window on the door, he catches a glimpse of Jungah scribbling something on a piece of pink paper with a focused expression on her face. Sehun is surprised that she’s still sporting her pigtails, which he took upon himself to make upon her request this morning. He watches her reach out and whisper something to a little blonde girl who looks slightly older than her, before he takes a seat on the bench by the door. 

 

Sehun doesn’t even get a chance to cross his legs before his phone vibrates in his inner pocket.

 

From: Jungah

I saw you!!! (*≧ω≦*) 

I’m gonna be a little late!! The teacher talked a lot so we couldn’t get started on our writing thing until much later ^_^/

There’s coffee and some cookies in the cafeteria if you’re feeling bored!!! :3 

 

 

As much as Sehun wants to playfully scold Jungah for using her phone during class, he finds himself admiring the sliver of maturity lingering in her texts, all while he types out a response. 

 

 

I had a big lunch so I think I'll pass, sorry ^w^ 

And you'll find me as soon as you come out! /SH

 

 

One thought leads to another, and Sehun tries not to think about the fact that Jongin is most likely still passed out face first in one of his drinks right now. Thankfully, the classroom door opening distracts him from the harsh pounding in his chest.

 

Sehun quickly locates Jungah's slightly shorter self among the stream of children that come pouring out of the classroom, and she immediately wraps her arms around his torso when she spots him. She’s holding onto the same piece of pink paper in her hands, but Sehun doesn’t get a chance to ask what it is before he spots the little blonde girl standing behind her.

 

Jungah beams. ”This is Lisa, she’s my best friend,” she squeals. ”And this is Sehun!”

 

Sehun bends down and carefully shakes Lisa’s small hand after she waves at him. ”Hello, Lisa,” he says. ”Jungah’s talked about you many times.”

 

Lisa curiously looks at Sehun through her bangs, which are so long and thick that they cover most of her eyes. ”Are you the alcoholic?” she asks after a moment.

 

Sehun blinks. He definitely wasn’t expecting that. ”Where’d you learn that word?” he asks, all while Jungah stuffs her newly completed assignment in her backpack.

 

Shrugging, Lisa points to Jungah. ”She tells the class about her papa all the time,” she says with a strong Californian accent. ”My mama says it's called being an alcoholic, so-”

 

”Let’s not discuss that right now,” Sehun interjects before Lisa can elaborate. ”And we don’t talk about other people like that, alright?” He motions for Jungah to follow him, seconds before somebody opens the door.

 

A tall male with dimples steps out into the hallway after the last student skips out of the classroom. He immediately spots Sehun, and his puzzled expression melts off his face when he sees Jungah talking to Lisa. His name tag, which reads YIXING, is almost blinding under the ceiling lights.

 

”This is Mr. Z,” Jungah giggles and points to Yixing. ”He looks big and scary, but he’s actually softer than a Rilakkuma teddy-”

 

”He gets mad when you call him that, remember?” Lisa hisses, jabbing Jungah’s arm.

 

Yixing only chuckles before he turns to face Sehun, who momentarily doesn’t know what to say when he extracts his right hand. ”I think I might've seen you a few times, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time we're speaking to each other,” he says. ”It’s so nice to finally meet you, though.”

 

Sehun nearly winces. Despite Yixing’s soft features, he sure has an iron grasp. ”What do you mean by finally?” he asks, but he doesn’t get a response before Yixing opens the door wider.

 

Yixing gestures at Sehun to stick around after he leaves the door open a crack. He walks over to his desk at the front of the room, which is littered with essays, colorful stickers and markers. 

 

Sehun’s eyes roam around the room. He feels like an awkward, gangly giant among the small chairs and tables everywhere. One desk sticks out like a sore thumb in particular, and Sehun can’t help but smile when he sees that it’s cluttered with colorful origami cranes.

 

After retrieving a sheet of paper, Yixing moves to stand in front of Sehun. ”I’m Zhang Yixing, by the way,” he says, ”but unlike what you might’ve heard, you’re more than welcome to call me Mr. Z.”

 

Sehun blinks. ”Sure thing,” he mutters, hoping Jungah doesn’t run off somewhere as he awkwardly leans against one of the desks.

 

”Sorry to keep you like this,” Yixing continues, eyes scanning the paper in his hands. ”But like I said, we haven’t really met before and there’s a lot to say about Jungah.” He takes off his glasses and tucks them in his chest pocket. ”Now, as her teacher, it’s come to my understanding that she’s been experiencing a few…issues at home.”

 

Sehun blinks again. ”You…could say that.”

 

”Her classmates don’t seem all that wound up, but you know how they are at that age,” Yixing continues, ”but she’s been talking about you non-stop, and for a while, I was starting to get quite worried.” He chuckles as he gestures at Sehun. ”But I’m happy to see that things seem to be looking up.”

 

It takes Sehun’s brain way too long to catch up with what he’s hearing. ”But I’m-”

 

”She says you’re quite the busy bee, so I’ll keep it short,” Yixing chuckles with a wink. He holds up the sheet. ”For the past week, I made the class write an essay on who they admire most, and I have to say that her work stuck out to me more than anybody else’s.”

 

Sehun accepts it with a low thanks, words dying in his throat as he watches Yixing’s cheeks flush with adoration. As much as he wants to unfold it and read it, he simply stuffs it in his pocket, but not before laying his eyes on the large, gold star at the top right corner of the page. 

 

Yixing’s black locks bounce around as he walks back to his desk. ”Her writing is mature for her age, that’s for sure,” he chuckles, putting his glasses back on. ”I’ll tell you, something, though, Mr. Kim.” He slides into his chair. ”She’s been my favorite for a while now, and though she might be young, I can already say without a sliver of doubt that that girl of yours is going places.”

 

Sehun can only watch as Yixing hums to himself while grading more essays. He hears Jungah teasing Lisa about her expensive cell phone on the other side of the door.

 

”I’m not her dad,” Sehun blurts out, only to curse when he realizes how weird that sounded. Thankfully, Yixing doesn’t seem to hear. ”I mean, I’m not Jongin, if that’s what you’re…yeah.”

 

Yixing looks up from the pile of essays in front of him. ”You’re not?” he asks and for a second, Sehun genuinely worries that he might call the cops to report an attempted abduction. ”You must be Sehunnie, then!”

 

Sehun fights an impulse to become one with the walls. ”Yeah.”

 

”I knew Jungah mentioned somebody in her assignment,” Yixing sing-songs. ”Yesterday, one of them brought in a ’Sleeping Beauty’ book for Show-And-Tell, and Jungah said that the prince and princess reminded her of her father and, well, you.”

 

For reasons he doesn’t even want to think about, Sehun feels himself flush. ”She did?

 

Yixing nods, a dreamy expression on his face as he smoothens out his shirt. ”Yuppers,” he says. ”Come to think of it, she’s talked about you a lot lately.” He chuckles when Sehun blinks. ”My apologies, I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but I’ll have you know that if what she’s saying about you is true, you’re a good man.”

 

Sehun doesn’t get a chance to respond before a loud commotion is heard from the hallway, and it’s not until he realizes that it’s Jungah exclaiming something that he rushes out the door with Yixing hot on his heels.

 

 

_____

 

 

Jongin parks his car by the curb. He nearly cries when he realizes that he’s completely out of gas, but he doesn’t have the energy to call a tow truck right now, so he opts to wait for Jungah to come outside. Even though Jungah hasn’t called him or anything, Jongin finds himself glued to his seat while staring at the front doors so intensely that his eyeballs ache. Not to mention he wouldn't have been able to turn back around even if he wanted to. 

 

It’s not until ten minutes pass that Jongin gets out of his car. The afternoon sun is nearly blinding and he sort of regrets putting on such a thick hoodie as he shoves his hands in his pockets. He tries not to make eye contact with all the parents leaving the building with their sons and daughters when he climbs the few steps leading to the entrance.

 

The doors close with a loud bang, and Jongin suddenly feels extremely out of place in the middle of the main hallway. He isn’t sure if it’s due to his bright pink hoodie, his useless navigation skills or the fact that he's never actually stepped foot in Jungah's school ever since its open house three years ago. Jongin tries not to think about the fact that he must look like an older brother on his way to pick up his younger sibling rather than a parent stepping foot in their daughter’s school for the first time in forever after he makes his way down the hallway. To his luck, he has a faint memory of Jungah’s main classroom door being an alarming shade of green, and he nearly cries in happiness when he sees Jungah patiently sitting on a bench a few feet away.

 

A flash of puzzlement briefly flashes in Jungah’s eyes when she looks up and sees Jongin walking towards her. However, she flies off the bench and practically tackles him to the floor in a bear hug less than a fraction of a second later. 

 

”You look like a girl with this shirt on,” Jungah giggles, poking Jongin’s chest. 

 

Jongin runs his fingers through Jungah’s silky hair. The bruising sensation in his torso only worsens when she tightens her grip, but the grin on her face makes Jongin unable to tell her to take it easy. 

 

”Well, you always look like a girl, so there,” Jongin chuckles after plopping down on the bench. He hopes it doesn't collapse under his weight, because all he wants right now is to sit down and pull his thoughts together.

 

”Because I am a girl,” Jungah huffs with an eye roll. She doesn’t get a chance to continue before one of the bathroom doors open and Lisa bounces into the hallway. ”Lisa wanted to wait with me, if that’s okay!”

 

Jongin makes sure to send Lisa a smile when she spots him. ”Of course it’s okay, but I was thinking we could-”

 

”Are you her papa?” Lisa interrupts, pointing at Jongin with a tiny index finger.

 

Jongin blinks. ”Yes?”

 

”We were just talking about you,” Lisa says and tightens her backpack straps. She’s silent for a minute, blue eyes flickering with fascination. ”Do you have any friends?”

 

Jongin raises an eyebrow. ”What exactly do you mean?”

 

”Alcoholics don’t have friends,” Lisa says, putting her bangs up with a Hello Kitty clip. ”At least that’s what my mama said.” 

 

Jungah’s eyebrows furrow. ”We weren’t supposed to talk about people like that, remember?” she whispers, still clinging to Jongin’s arm.

 

Lisa shrugs. ”That’s what she said,” she retorts. ”And since he's your papa, my mama also said that people who drink too much should have their children taken away forever.” She looks at Jungah, whose cheeks are already flushed with irritation.

 

”Don’t talk like that,” Jungah growls, ”you’re gonna make him sad again!”

 

Jongin shakes his head. ”It’s fine,” he sighs. ”We'll just--” 

 

Jongin doesn’t get to finish before Jungah suddenly flies off the bench and grabs a fistful of Lisa’s hair. Thankfully, he’s able to step between them in the nick of time, seconds before the classroom door is swung open.

 

With Jungah attempting to brush past him to slash Lisa in the face, it takes Jongin a minute to register Sehun staring right at him. A slightly shorter male with round glasses, who Jongin thinks he caught a glimpse of during the school's open house, promptly yanks Lisa back a step before she can rip Jungah’s pigtails right out. 

 

While Jungah’s teacher walks off with Lisa, presumably to her mother waiting outside, Jongin runs a hand through his matted hair. He doesn’t even realize how frantically his heart is racing until he sees the unreadable look on Sehun’s face. All he knows is that he desperately wants to get out before he can drown in a puddle of his own sweat.

 

Sehun clears his throat. ”She wanted me to…never mind, here." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded piece of paper. ”I should probably give this to you.”

 

Jongin accepts it with a low thanks, but he doesn’t bother looking at it. He’s too busy trying not to scream about how thankful he is to see Sehun again as he stuffs it in his back pocket. For a moment, he wonders what on Earth Sehun is even doing here, until it hits him that his mother most definitely contacted him to ask him to pick up Jungah.

 

From her spot three feet away, Jungah isn’t saying anything, and Jongin almost wants to excuse himself for interrupting when Sehun rubs the back of his neck.

 

Of bloody course she would want Sehun to pick her up.

 

The next thing Jongin knows, he’s fighting an impulse to sink through the floor. His head is spinning so intensely that he wants to take a seat on one of the chairs lining the walls before he can pass out, but he doesn’t get a chance to before Jungah skips back down the hallway with Sehun. 

 

 

___

 

 

It’s not until they’re outside that Jongin notices Sehun’s car parked in the middle of the parking lot. Next to him, Jungah excitedly tells Sehun about the movie they watched with Mr. Z, all while Sehun politely nods along. At this point, most cars are gone from their parking spots, and Jongin nearly cries in frustration when he remembers that his car is literally unable to roll another mile.

 

Jongin forces himself to speak when Sehun turns to look at him. ”I think…I think you should take her home instead,” he says, scratching the back of his head. ”I’ll be there, it’s just...I’m out of fuel, and…yeah.” He gestures at his car.  

 

Jungah blinks. ”But I want to be with you,” she whines.

 

Sehun is silent for a minute before a small smile tugs at the corners of his lips. ”You can’t possibly have run out of gas,” he chuckles with a slight shake of his head. ”Man, you really are cute.”

 

”It wasn’t my fault,” Jongin squawks, only to shut his mouth when he realizes how stupid that sounded. ”I mean, it was, but...” He pulls out his phone to call a tow truck when he feels his entire face explode with heat. Well, then.

 

”I’ve got a spare can somewhere at the back of my car,” Sehun says, gesturing behind him. ”You could use that, if you’d like.”

 

”Does that mean all of us can go home together?” Jungah asks, gaze flickering back and forth between Sehun and Jongin.

 

Jongin blinks. Being even more of a bother is the last thing he wants right now. ”But-”

 

”You’re mad if you think I’m just gonna leave you here,” Sehun says with his tie flapping around in the wind. Sure enough, Jungah rushes over and wraps her arms around Jongin’s torso. 

 

Jongin ends up nodding before he can think a second thought. 

 

___

 

 

With his car filled to the brim, Jongin suddenly feels himself flush when Sehun offers to take care of the empty can for him. Jongin would be lying if he said that going straight home to bed was on his to-do list right now, especially when Sehun goes on to stare at him with that godforsaken smile on his face. All the while, Jungah impatiently asks if they can go home since she’s feeling hungry. 

 

”So…” Jongin mentally slaps himself. ”What…I mean, what happens now?”

 

”I want to go home,” Jungah whines with a pout before she tugs on Sehun’s cuffs. ”And I want Sehun to come with us, okay??? I want him to be with us and I don't care if Nana says he can't!”

 

Jongin stares at Sehun before he looks back at Jungah, and it’s not until she skips off towards the car that he knows that protesting is out the window.

 

 

5:30 P.M

 

 

"Mr. Z showed us this awesome recipe for homemade pizza rolls,” Jungah beams after they walk in the door. ”Can we make them for dinner? Please?

 

Jongin toes his shoes off. He’s dying to rip his hoodie off before he can die of heatstroke. ”Ask Sehun if he’s okay with pizza rolls,” he chuckles, patting her head. 

 

”Sounds great to me,” Sehun responds, seconds before Jungah rushes into the kitchen and rummages through the fridge, which probably isn’t stocked with enough ingredients to complete the recipe.

 

However, the entire apartment is soon filled with all kinds of scents and noises, such as pots clanking, the stove whirring and the upbeat tune spilling from Jungah’s pink musical player. Jongin is just glad that her cooking skills are gradually improving, and that she isn’t the messy type in the kitchen, so he figures that he shouldn’t have a reason to panic just yet.

 

Since Jongin knows that Sehun will most likely want to help Jungah out with the recipe, he opts to slip out on the balcony, since he would rather not risk blowing up the entire kitchen with his own (straight up useless) cuisine skills. He’s entirely out of cigarettes, but Jongin can’t bring himself to care as he approaches the sliding glass door.

 

The fresh air does wonders for his clouded head, and Jongin fills his lungs with as much of it as he possibly can before exhaling into the darkening sky. He has yet to empty out the ashtray on the ground, which is overflowing with cigarette butts and chunks of ash. Despite it being nearly six o’clock, the sun is setting at a rapid pace and the temperature is nearing zero degrees. Jongin would rather die of hypothermia, though, than fetch his coat and risk bothering Sehun and Jungah in the kitchen. 

 

Jongin leans against the railing, only to regret it when his ribs ache in protest. He’ll be surprised if he manages to get a good night’s rest without waking up screaming in pain, but his worry disappears when he takes another breath.

 

Jungah emits a loud laugh from her spot in the kitchen, and Jongin runs a hand down his face. He knows for a fact that he has no-one else to blame but himself, since he should have known Jungah would ask Sehun to come get her after school. Jongin has no idea how he ever managed to convince himself otherwise, but it doesn’t matter. Because even though Jungah isn't saying it directly to his face, Jongin knows that she’s straying further away from him by the day. And if his ribcage wasn’t on the verge of combusting, he would scream until his throat gave way.

 

A crow flies by just as the door to the balcony slides open, which nearly makes Jongin topple over the railing in surprise.

 

Sehun's hair is already getting tousled in the wind as he leaves the door open a crack. ”You’ll catch a cold if you stand out here without a coat, ,” he says, reaching into his pocket. ”And it’s my last one, so make good use of it.”

 

Jongin blinks when a white cigarette is held up in front of his face. He swipes it before Sehun hands him a lighter. To Jongin’s surprise, the subsequent surge of dopamine does nothing to calm his raging pulse, especially when Sehun goes on to stand next to him.

 

”It gets dark quite quickly nowadays, huh?” Sehun hums, resting his elbows on the railing. In the darkness, his bleach blond hair sort of reminds Jongin of a glowing angel’s halo.

 

Exhaling, Jongin nods. He’s hit with a blast of Sehun’s strong cologne when a gust of wind passes, and he tries to ignore the buzzing in his chest by taking another drag. Come to think of it, the sky has darkened by at least three shades since he stepped outside five minutes ago.

 

”Thanks,” Jongin blurts out and nearly chokes on his cigarette when Sehun sends him a smile. ”I mean, you didn’t have to...you didn’t have to go through all that trouble just to pick her up.” He runs a hand down his face. ”You could’ve called me, I would’ve…never mind.”

 

Sehun shakes his head. ”Nonsense, it was no problem at all,” he says and takes a quick drag when Jongin offers him his cigarette. He’s silent for a minute. ”I was more worried about you than her, anyway.”

 

Jongin blinks. ”You were?

 

”Of course I was,” Sehun sighs. "Truth is, I’ve always been worried about you.”

 

Scratching the back of his head, Jongin feels himself flush in shame. ”It’s…you didn’t have to worry,” he murmurs. ”I mean, I wasn’t…I was just...taking a nap, I wasn’t doing anything important.” He shuts his mouth, because that probably didn’t do him any justice. ”But thanks, I appreciate it.”

 

They fall into brief silence. ”You should’ve told me,” Sehun says.

 

Jongin feels a chill travel up his spine. ”Told you what?”

 

”You know what,” Sehun sighs.  

 

Jongin tightens his grip on his cigarette until it nearly snaps in half. ”I know you’re mad,” he mutters. ”But-”

 

”I’m not mad at you,” Sehun interrupts, voice low as he shifts. ”I just don't get why you didn't tell me.”

 

Jongin genuinely worries he might vomit if he takes another drag, so he chucks his lit cigarette over the railing. ”I didn’t want people to know,” he whispers, so quietly that he barely hears his own voice over the wind. "About her, about him."

 

Sehun moves even closer. ”And why was that?”

 

”I was scared,” Jongin blurts out. ”I didn’t…, I didn’t feel like a father.” He feels his lower lip quiver when Sehun’s gaze nearly burns holes in his head. ”And I still don’t, but...it was all so hard, and then he announced that he was getting married, and it just…went to hell.” He swallows. ”I knew it was all my fault and Baek was so happy, and…God, it just didn’t work.”

 

For a second, Jongin hears nothing but his own frantic pulse and the howling winds threatening to sweep him off his feet. Next to him, Sehun isn’t saying a thing, and even though Jongin sort of expected it, the thought of Sehun leaving him forever makes him want to scream.

 

”Jongin, who exactly are you living for?” 

 

Jongin nearly jumps out of his own skin at the sudden words. He doesn’t even realize that he’s burst into tears until Sehun wipes his cheeks with the back of his hand. In a sense, Jongin is relieved that Sehun goes on to pull him in for a bone crushing hug, because his windpipe is closing up so badly that he’s unable to choke out the words. Despite the ice cold gusts of wind surrounding them, all that fills Jongin's head is the warmth of Sehun's coat and Sehun's minty perfume. 

 

”You can’t keep doing this to yourself,” Sehun says as he tightens his grip around Jongin’s shoulders. ”Or her, or anyone, and I know that you're smart enough to know that.”

 

All Jongin manages is a weak nod while Sehun’s perfume continues to tingle his senses. ”Why do you even give a about me,” he mutters. ”It’s…God, you shouldn’t, no one should.”

 

Sehun is silent for a minute. ”This is going to sound strange,” he chuckles before a bird lands on the railing. ”But I’ve always had this…feeling ever since I first saw you.”

 

Jongin's heart is racing so fast that he's unable to focus on the bird squawking less than ten inches from his face. ”Feeling?” he echoes. ”For what?”

 

The animal flies off as Sehun rolls his eyes in amusement. ”You,” he says, pinching Jongin’s wet cheeks.

 

At this point, it’s gotten so dark that Jongin can barely see his own hand in front of his face. The smell of freshly baked food is starting to fill the air, all while Jungah can be heard singing along to a Katy Perry song in the kitchen. 

 

Jongin doesn’t even realize that he’s leaning into Sehun’s chest until he shifts. ”What kind of feeling?” he blurts out.

 

Sehun is silent for a moment. ”I’ll leave that to you to figure out,” is all he says before the sound of something metallic being dropped fills the air and nearly scares Jongin half to death.

 

It’s not until Jungah exclaims something along the lines of ’Sorry!’ that Jongin realizes just how hot he is. He just hopes that Sehun isn’t picking up on his raging pulse as he wipes his splotchy cheeks. They subsequently fall into silence, the only audible noises being the winds howling, distant sound of cars driving by and Jungah shamelessly singing along to ’Last Friday Night’. 

 

”She sure is a precious girl,” Sehun says, brushing a lock of hair out of Jongin’s eyes. ”Make sure you hold onto her as much as you can.” 

 

Jongin suddenly comes to think of Jungah’s birthday gift. Sehun’s body heat makes him unable to string together a single thought, though, so Jongin awkwardly shifts until his brain can function again.

 

”I still have no idea what to get her,” Jongin shyly says, running a hand through his hair. ”I mean, I’ve always thought about getting her a sibling, since she seems lonely most of the time,” he adds.

 

”So a new friend to play with?” Sehun asks, cocking his head aside. ”That sounds nice, I like the idea.”

 

Jongin nods. At least he doesn’t have to worry about Jungah not being on board with the idea, since she will probably grow up to be equally as good with children as Sehun in the near future. However, it’s not until the subtle innuendo of his words catch up with him that Jongin wants to sink through the ground in embarrassment. He doesn't even need to look up to know that Sehun definitely picked up on it, too, and it takes Jongin every fiber in his being not to smash his head against the wall.

 

”Dad? Sehun? Could someone help me with the toppings???” Jungah calls from the kitchen, effectively saving Jongin a mental breakdown.

 

Sure enough, Sehun turns to face Jongin. 

 

”You’re adorable, I hope you know that,” Sehun coos, ruffling Jongin’s hair. ”And you’ll think of something, I promise. You’ve got two more days, after all.”

 

Jongin nods, and he barely registers Sehun planting a quick kiss on his cheek until he feels a certain warmth swell in his chest. The generic pop song emitting from the kitchen briefly fills the air after Sehun slides the door open, seconds before it shuts once again.

 

The next thing Jongin knows, the smell of food makes his mouth water. However, he barely makes it to the door before he hears a rustling noise from his back pocket.

 

Jongin fishes out the folded piece of paper. He bites the inside of his cheek when he sees the words written on the front, in bold, capital letters.

 

 

ASSIGNMENT #1: WHO INSPIRES YOU THE MOST? 

 

 

For a moment, Jongin considers ignoring it, since the last thing he wants right now is to read about Jungah gushing over her newfound love for Sehun. However, curiosity ends up getting the best of him, and Jongin ends up unfolding it before he can change his mind. 

 

 

THE PERSON I LOOK UP TO THE MOST

Date: April 6, 2019

By: Jungah Kim - Class 4A

 

I think my dad is the greatest dad in the whole world. His name is Jongin, but Ive heard some of his friends call him Jonginnie even though he says he hates it. He works in an office almost every day. I know that he is just as great as all the workers on TV who wear suit and ties and work in offices like him. He always complains about how tired and annoyed his job makes him feel, but he still goes there every morning. He doesn't like his colleagues very much. I don't understand it because I haven't met them in real life, but I know that I dislike them, because my Dad works longer than they all do and they should all know just how awesome he is for it.

My dad gave birth to me when he was young and took care of me even though i didnt have a mother. I think that makes him even more awesome.

My new best friend Sehunnie has made my dad feel very happy these days, which makes me happy. My classmate Jennie showed us a book about princesses and princes this week, and it made me think of dad and Sehun, because Sehun makes dad smile a lot. i hope they become best friends forever. 

I feel like my dad doesn't like me very much these days since his job is really busy and he doesn't have the time to be with me anymore. When I was little, we went to the zoo, looked at animals, played in the park and did fun things together. I miss when we used to have fun like that, but I think i'm too big for it now.    

Sometimes my dad gets mad at me, and even though it makes me sad when he comes home and talks about how sad and lonely he feels, I still think he's the greatest dad in the whole wide world. Mr. Z once said that people sometimes give up everything theyre doing when they feel sad, but my dad keeps going every day of the year. When I grow up, i want to be just as brave as him.

〜☆