001

Enchanted

"Go on," Jongin tapped her shoulder, "I promise you, it will be worth it. You'll be fine," he added with that charming smile.

Mirae sighed, unsure, but walked up the wooden aisle that led to the ship ahead. Fixing the grey hat on her head, she bowed to every person she passed on her way to the ship. The captain smiled down at her, his stark white set of teeth showing. Captain Kim was an old man, even though he looked younger, with silver grey hair jelled together and pulled into a pretty ponytail in the back of his head. He extended his hand for her and she gracefully held it to step on the ship's deck.

"You're looking beautiful today, My Lady," he commented, placing a little kiss on the back of her hand. She smiled, ducking her head in respect.

Looking back down at the dock, she spotted Jongin, having his chat with the head of the Ministry of External Affairs. His serious face spoke of the important things they were discussing about. Mirae quietly stood there after the Captain left her to be, turning to look at the blue block of sea with no end. The harbor had been cleared of any ship for the day, all for the safety of the royalties. It wasn't for her, but for the Prince Jongin who was to sit next after his father on that throne that he personally dreaded.

Mirae watched the waves crashing on the sandy shore. The ocean never tired, never missed a beat, and through brilliant days and darkest nights the percussion of the shore kept on - a lullaby for anyone and everyone. Mirae had never been to the sea. She was afraid of the water that looked as if it could swallow her with only one swish. The deep blue of the ocean was overwhelming, she could sense the bad news in her veins.

But Jongin loved to be in the midst of this perfect blue. He would brush away her concerns and ask her to let her fears go. Because the ocean was to be loved, he'd say, not to be scared of. Mirae turned to look at the shining pointed roofs of the castle she had left behind that morning. In truth, she didn't want to go back to that dreadful place anymore. She felt free amidst the chitter chatter of the waves, yet very scared.

She was no princess after all. Just a mere commoner who had had the pleasure to encounter the Prince. The whole palace was against her and Jongin was aware of that. Who would in their right mind accept a peasant like her to be the wife of their precious Prince? But he loved her, he said, and had proved so in many ways. He had his men construct the library right beside her room in the palace, had bought all the books that she had had once told him were her favorite. He dared to kiss her in front of his parents and hold her hand in public. He had risked his life for her in many occasions until she was finally convinced that he truly did love her, regardless of what she was and how she looked.  

In no time, Jongin walked up to her, that handsome grin prominent on his face as he eyed her, closing in. "You're still worried," he said with a little chuckle. From up there, the people looked smaller, almost the size of the dolls that Jongin's niece played with. Mirae squeezed her eyes shut before opening them as the ship started to move. Jongin sighed, wrapping an arm around her waist as he bid goodbye with a raise of his hand to the group of men from his father's court. "Why don't you trust me a bit on this?" He looked back at her, "Rae, nothing can possibly go wrong. The crew is an expert, they've served us on wars and extreme voyages. If not me, then trust them."

Mirae sighs, Jongin frowned at the sound, "I trust you, Jongin," she said "I'm just not used to the sea, that's all."

He smiled, again, "It's fine. I wasn't either on my first trip. It gets better and better. Just like us," he pecked her nose, smiling down brightly at her. The sun reflected on them, They were there for the whole world to see. Mirae had always found it hard to believe he was a Prince. How could he be so reckless and carefree? Worries ate her alive when he went on any of these trips to the ocean. How could he be so relaxed?


"Why would you make her cry?"

"I don't like her, Dad," the male answered, shrugging his shoulders as he poured himself a cup of tea. His father sent him a look and he rolled his eyes at it.

"Kai, are you blind?"

"Dad, you don't know her," he came and sat beside his father, passing him another cup.  "She can't stop whining. She might have grown up but her brain is still the size of a frogfish." Kai rolled his eyes another time, "I can't marry her."

"Kai, that is insane," his father spoke, eyes strict. "You can't push this glorious chance away, Kai. You know her brother has the better part of he ocean and that we need it."

"You're trading me, Dad?" Kai cocked a brow at his father with a mocking smile, "You're trading away your son for the better part of the ocean? You don't care about me, do you? I was born so that you could exchange me."

"Kai, I'm doing all of this for you," his father tried to convince him. "Once I die, all will be yours, son. You are misunderstanding me."

"Stop it, Dad," Kai slammed the cup of tea on the table, glaring at his father who returned him the gesture. "I'd rather die than marry her, mark my words." He swiftly got out of his seat, swimming towards the door of his father's office and slamming it open. The guards flinched at the sound, bowing their heads as the angry prince passed them.

The pillars that held the castle straight were made of the best corals from the sea, The walls were alive, the corals were living creatures afterall. Here, the walls really had ears, if not the mouth. The ivory path that led him out of the palace was studded with gems from the depth of the sea, sparkling brightly in the dim light. Day or night, it would always be dark in this part of the ocean.

Kai didn't have a mother. It wasn't as if he needed one either. He had been alone, from the very beginning, playing alone, sleeping alone, eating alone. His father, the King of Ambrosia, barely had time for him. The old merman was always busy, only ever raising his son for the purpose of producing another heir. He didn't have a friend. He was better off alone, he thought.

Ignoring the greetings thrown at him, Kai swam across the vast boundary that separated his kingdom from the kingdom his fiancee was originate from. He was welcomed warmly everytime he swam into this part of the ocean. His father was right. This was the better part of the sea. The kingdom recieved ample light of the sun that shone high in the sky, the sea bed was livelier, the people less meaner. But Kai would say, the Kingdom of Nepasis was rather vulnerable. How was he supposed to make anyone understand that since this part of the ocean recieved more sunlight, they were closer to the humans? His father had laughed at his words, saying that he was trying to deny this wedding with a stupid assumption.

Not stopping to greet the King, he swam past the castle. The maids raised a brow at the handsome Prince, wondering why he didn't stop by. His fierce gaze sent them away, fending for their dear lives. His navy blue hair bounced in the soft waters as he pushed them away from his eyes. He didn't know where he was ging. It was dark as he swam a little more, realizing night has fallen and the moon was high up in the part of the ocean he was currently in. Without knowing, he had crossed miles under the ocean, all because of that bad temper of his. He could be easily angered and the Princess of Nepasis would always be the victim of his rage. Not like she doesn't deserve it.

A ship. He notices a vessel on the surface, realizing  that he has stepped into the shallow waters. Pushing his head throught the water, he breathes in the gust of air. At times, he wished he had two legs instead of that violet tail of his. He could then breathe the frsh air above the waters that he kind of dreaded at the point.

Moving in closer to the ship, he cranes his neck to see what was going on. The tall ship swam proudly, cutting the waters smoothly, moving with all the canvas sails shining in the moonlight. He wished he could be in a ship too, commanding the crew and winning battles. He wished so much to be a sailor, a human.

He noticed a girl, by the railings. Her hair swayed in the wind, her lips pursed and eyes droopy with tireness. He took in the intricate details of her face, not being able to move his eyes anywhere else. It was as if he was enchanted, casted with a spell. Kai wasn't easily impressed, the whole ocean knew. His suitors had to be perfect. While princesses fought for a piece of him, Kai was mesmerized by the lady staring up at the sky, eyes sparkling in the moonlight.

Kai hadn't seen anyone as beautiful. He stared up at her from the waters, observing the way she shone with the full moon. She was a human, unlike him. There eyes met. A frown took over her beautiful face. He wanted a smile, yet he didn't mind.

Out of the blue, an arm wrapped around her tiny waist. A man emerged by her side. Kai's eyes widened. The man had his face, legs instead of a tail. He dipped his head and kissed her. Kai heard his heart shatter to pieces that night.


Hi!
Thank you so much for subscribing to this story :)
Means a lot to me!
I hope you like it so far. The updates, well, I'll try to make them as regular as I can.
The second chapter of this story will be published soon. Promise!
Leave your thought below and do upvote if you like the story enough!