The Correct Song

The Correct Song

“Can you not come to our house from now on?”

 

Seungyoon gasps at Mino’s words. His heart sinks.. no.. it’s more like it is dropped from height so abruptly that he loses his breath. He fists his guitar strap tightly. “Calm down.” He murmurs rather inwardly and questions back.

 

“But why?”

 

Swears to god he frigging tried to control but his cracked voice betrayed him, making it obvious how hurt he is.

 

Mino notices too of course. He’d been reading his friend like a book for the past year. And that’s why he decides to tell him this. To not come to their house, to be more precise, to not mingle with his sister, Song Dana.

 

“I just don’t want you to anymore.”

 

 

With that, Seungyoon stops coming over.

 

 

 

Seungyoon is the new comer at school and they two became friend super quickly due to their matching quirky and sweet personality. Former started visiting his home and now he’s almost a family member. Seungyoon seems to be really attached to his family since he’s the only child. He seems close with his sister, more than Mino would like. Sometimes, it makes Mino uncomfortable and queasy to notice them exchanging glances or teasing smirks when they think he can’t see.

 

But Mino honestly doesn’t want Seungyoon to be with his sister for reasons. First and foremost, she’s a little spoiled baby of Song family. Song Dana always knows what she wants and what not. As the textbook youngest child of the family, she would try hard to get something and when she actually achieved it, would lose interest and drop it midway. She doesn’t acquire herself the nick name Song Heart-breaker for no reason. But she always knows her limit and play by the rules. He fully trusts his sister to not get herself in trouble and that’s not whom he worries.

 

He actually, worries for his friend, Seungyoon.

 

Mino honestly doesn’t want to Seungyoon to get hurt and lose him as his friend when Dana breaks his heart.

 

And another reason? No, he’s gonna keep it to himself. Like 50 feet down inside of his heart’s deepest darkest corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Song Dana drops the backpack and throws herself lazily onto the couch. She glances at Mino who’s playing Overwatch and tries to say something. But then she looks away sighing dramatically as if to draw his attention.

 

“Just shoot!”He asks.

 

“What?”

 

“Tsk! You wanna say something to me don’t you? Stop playing a fool.”

 

Dana stands up and puts her hands around her waist as if bracing herself for a fight.

 

“Fix it! Whatever you done wrong to Seungyoon oppa, you fix it and you apologize. Or I’m giving you up for adoption.”

 

Mino chuckles at his sister’s antics.

“Jeeze Dana! Ain’t your brother a little bit too old for adoption? And why do I have to do that?”

 

“I can’t stand seeing him broke anymore.” She raises her hand to emphasize, frowning sadly as if she’s about to cry.

 

“You met him? How was he?”Mino questions carefully trying not to sound too probing.

 

“I just told you he looks so broken. Duh!”Dana frustratingly replies her brother. “Bro pay attention!”

 

Mino feels a pang in his heart. For one, Seungyoon’s hurt and two, they are probably still seeing each other, what he’s been dreading the most.

 

He uses all his will power to sound nonchalant but not upset and questions Dana_

“By any chance, are you.. are you two together?”

 

“WHAT?”Dana screams as if she just hears the most scandalized thing.

 

I’m just asking. You know you can tell me everything. I’m your cool bro.” He tries to shrug it off as nothing but Dana doesn’t seem to buy.

 

“Oh my god! I may be a flirt but I have my standards. I don’t date someone who swings another way.”

 

“What do you mean, swings another way?”

 

“Jeeze! Bro! Seungyoon Oppa is… Gosh! He frigging swings your way.”

 

Heck! Mino is confused now.

 

“Seungyoon? Seungyoon swings my way?”

 

“My dear Bro, Oppa and idiot! He looks at you like you are the most precious thing on the whole world. Don’t tell me you don’t know.”

 

He can’t wrap his mind around what he just heard. If what he thinks about what Dana is implying is correct,

 

“He likes me?”

 

Dana lets out an exasperated sigh_

 

“He likes you? Bro, he LOVES you.”

 

Dana air-quoted Love and he realizes who’s the biggest idiot now.

 

“Oh crap! I ed up, didn’t I?”

 

 

 

 

He waits in front of his house. It’s getting cold and he doesn’t wear thick enough as he leaves his house in a hurry. He feels like he’s gonna freeze anytime soon. But he doesn’t wanna go back. He has a lot to say to him and might chicken out later if he doesn’t do it now. So his stubborn arse decides to stay out in 4 degree.

 

He doesn’t even remember how long it has been but he almost blacks out when he finally hears Seungyoon’s gasp.

 

“Oh god! Mino what are you doing here?”

 

His friend rushes to his side and grabs him before he actually falls down from standing against the wall. He leans into Seungyoon’s hold weakly. All he knows is that Seungyoon’s so frigging warm. He holds onto him, nosing the crook of Seungyoon’s neck trying to get the warmth. His senses are blurry and he feels sleepy.

 

“Hey hey! Hang on. Don’t you faint on me. Please!” Seungyoon nudges him and when they are apart, he unlocks the door quickly and helps him get inside.

 

He positions him on the bed and when he hurries off to get some water boiled, Mino grabs his wrist. He looks into his jacket pockets, takes something out, puts it into Seungyoon’s palm and close it.

 

He opens his fist to see a pair of keys.

 

“What is this?”

 

“Keys. Keys to my house. Please come back to me.”Mino replies and looks up, eyes glinting with hope.

 

Seungyoon’s hand drops to his side and the keys fall out of his hand with a clink. His face hardened and eyes clouded with sadness and fury.

 

“What do you want Mino? It’s you who told me to never come to your house. What do you want me to do?”He half screams.

 

“I just wanted to protect you.”

 

Seungyoon snorts at that bitterly.

 

“So driving me out of your house and hurting me was one way to do that?” He retorted sarcastically.

 

“I know it was a jerk move. I’m sorry.”

 

Mino stands up to look into his eyes. Seungyoon bits his lower lip to stop himself from crying. His brown orbs avoiding Mino’s searching eyes.

 

“Look at me. Look at me please!”He pleaded and Seungyoon glances at him. Even when he’s sad and mad at Mino, there’s trace of love in those eyes, like beam of soft light dancing. He always looks at him with those eyes and Mino never feels more stupid for not noticing any earlier.

 

Mino gently rubs his cheeks with his thumbs.

 

“I thought you liked Dana. I didn’t want your heart to get broken. I thought if you stop coming, you guys would fall apart somehow. Please don’t mock me. I know that was so lame and stupid. You already know how stupid I could be.”

 

He takes a break to see Seungyoon’s reaction. Seungyoon looks torn between wanting to argue and waiting for him to finish as if he cannot believe what he’s hearing.

 

Mino continues_ “I didn’t want you to hate me and ditch me when you guys broke up. Losing you is my biggest fear.”

 

Seungyoon snorts but with less sarcasm this time. He sounds more teasing.

“So you think I would give up on you when I broke up with Dana? That’s a low blow man. You think so low of my loyalty.”

 

Mino looks relief for a moment. Then his eyes widened in shock.

“You wont’? Oh.. but then are you guys really together?”

 

Seungyoon chuckles melodiously. He is having fun teasing Mino.

“You won’t lose me over something like that. You’ll still be my friend even if we break up. Don’t worry!”

 

“Seungyoon! Are you being serious? Are you guys really..?”His voice breaks and can’t finish his sentence. Mino sits down on the edge of bed, hands holding the blankets as if it’s his lifeline. He looks down to hide his tears that are about to fall from his eyes, just then, he feels hands cupping his face.

 

“Idiot! I was just joking. How can I date Song Dana when I’m in love with another Song?”

He looks up and Seungyoon is smiling at him that sweetest smile which always melts Mino’s heart.

 

“Really?”

 

Seungyoon bobs his head as his confirmation.

 

Mino stands up and jumps at Seungyoon, almost making them both fall down. He hugs himself tight and half cries into his shoulder_

“Seungyoon I love you. I thought I was crazy to fall for my straight best friend. You don’t know.”

 

Seungyoon rubs his back in soothing circle and Mino goes lax to the gentle touch. He breathes in Seungyoon’s scent to his heart content.

 

“Ahh I’m so happy.”Mino mutters.

 

Just then, Seungyoon pulls apart and asks cheekily_

“But I just said I love another Song. Could be Song Gunhee you know?”

 

Mino shrieks an oh-so-manly “No!”and nags_ “Tell me! Tell me I’m the correct Song!”

 

Seungyoon laughs affectionately at his friend’s childish antics.

 

Mino feigns annoyance and pouts.

 

When his laughter dies down, Seungyoon places a chaste kiss on those pouty lips. It doesn’t last long but Mino is so sure that the warm tingly feeling which flows to his heart through those lips will stay there for a very very long time.

 

-----------------

I was supposed to write a 3-sentence fic but went crazy and wrote a whole fic out of it. And of course, took me much longer than expected. I hope the friend who gave me this AU is not mad (anymore?)

And shoutout to my baby girl who gave a cute name for the fic. Thank you and love you loads!