(3)

Sunrise

Story and cover art created by Kyren_Rayne on AsianFanfics.

Permission has not been given to post elsewhere.

 

Sojung watched from the corner of the rehearsal room as each of her soon-to-be members practiced their solo dances.

She was happy to finally be debuting, there was no denying that, but why did she get stuck with this group?

She had become friends with Yerin, Yewon, and both Eunbi's.

But Yuna.

Sojung couldn't help the sour look that formed on her face when said girl began her performance.

She absolutely loathed her.

The other trainees always talked about how nice and funny she was, but Sojung didn't get it.

The two of them were just too different to get along.

Suddenly over her dongsaeng's dancing, Sojung leaned her head back against the cool wall behind her and let her eyes drift shut.

-

Her younger members had decided to goof off together in the living room, so Sowon had been enjoying some peace and quiet alone in her dorm room.

As she was flipping the page in the book she was reading though, her door suddenly burst open and in came Yuju.

She was laughing loudly, of course, and still shouting to the other girls in an attempt to make them laugh as well.

She was always so hectic that even her presence alone disturbed Sowon.

So, she decided to finally do something about it.

"Do you have to be so loud? I'm trying to read," she grumbled.

Yuju immediately stopped what she was doing and silently walked directly up to the side of Sowon's bunk.

"This is my room, too," her voice was low and stable as their eyes made unwavering contact, "I guess we'll just have to get used to each other."

And with that, she left, shutting the door behind her and returning to the others.

The elder girl sighed and ran a hand through her hair, unable to focus back on her book.

That was the calmest Sowon had ever seen her.

"Why couldn't she just be like that all the time?" Sowon mumbled to herself, “Then we wouldn’t be having this problem.”

-

Sowon walked into their green room in search of a water bottle.

They had just finished dress rehearsal for a performance and she was in dire need of some rehydration.

When she pushed the door open though, she was greeted by Yuju sitting on the couch, crying.

After realizing someone had entered the room, Yuju sat up straight and aggressively wiped her tears away.

"Just getting some water," Sowon said, awkwardly slinking to a table of refreshments in the corner.

As she picked up a bottle of water and opened it to take a swig, she could hear Yuju whimpering behind her.

Sowon turned slightly, trying to see her member without seeming like she was looking.

Even from across the room, the elder girl could plainly see the tears that had already begun to fall from Yuju's eyes again.

Sowon sighed, grabbing another bottle of water, and began to walk to the couch where Yuju sat.

"Um, hey," Sowon offered the new bottle out to Yuju, "Are you okay?"

The smaller girl simply nodded, rubbing her palms against her reddened eyes.

"Uh," Sowon shook the bottle in her hand a bit, "I brought you a drink. I mean, if you want it."

Yuju nodded once more, reaching out to take the water.

"Thanks," she mumbled, still looking down at the floor.

"So uh..."

Sowon didn't really know what to say.

The two of them weren't exactly close, so she had no idea what to do to comfort her.

She was silently praying that one of the other members would come in soon and help instead.

"Look, Sojung," Yuju began suddenly, "You don't have to pretend you care. You can just leave. It's fine."

Sowon's grip tightened around her own water bottle, her knuckles going white.

Could she really just leave and not have to deal with this?

It wasn't that she didn't care.

Heck, if she saw a stranger crying, she'd be just as inclined to make sure they were okay.

It was just since they were never on the best of terms, Sowon wasn't sure if Yuju would even want her to help.

In the end though, she decided against abandoning her member.

She was the leader; it was her job to take care of the other girls, regardless of how she felt.

Otherwise she'd be failing Source.

"It's fine," she forced a smile despite Yuju not even looking at her, "I want to stay and make sure you're okay."

"Um," Yuju finally turned to face Sowon, "Yeah, okay... Thanks."

-

"Hey, Sowon," Yuju giggled as she spun around in a small circle, "Do you think my outfit is cute?"

Sowon rolled her eyes.

"We're all wearing the same thing for this video."

The taller girl glanced around the room, finding her other members with her gaze.

Sinb and Umji were goofing around in a corner away from the cameras, Eunha was getting her makeup touched up, and Yerin was filming one of her solo shots.

All in the same red outfits, of course.

Sowon turned back to Yuju to find her still spinning around and laughing.

She reached a gentle hand out to still her.

"You're going to make yourself sick."

"Aw," the younger girl broke out into a grin, "Look who's actually concerned about me for once."

Sowon huffed and crossed her arms, "Whatever…"

-

"Where's Yuju?" Sowon questioned as she sat the last of six plates of food down onto the dinner table in their dorm, "Lunch is ready."

Her four other members slid into their seats and immediately began digging in.

There were a few shrugs and hums until Umji finally answered.

"She said she was sick, so she went to lay down."

Sowon sighed, "Okay, thanks."

She grabbed one of the plates that hadn't yet been touched and carried it with her back into the kitchen.

She neatly arranged the meal into a small container and placed a lid on it before grabbing a set of chopsticks and a can of cider, and heading for Yuju's room.

After tapping lightly on the door to announce her presence, she walked in, shutting the door back behind her.

Yuju was curled up on her bunk, blankets piled haphazardly atop her.

"Yuju," Sowon placed a gentle hand on the resting girl, "I just wanted to see if you were okay. Umji said you weren’t feeling well."

The younger girl groaned as she rolled over to face her leader.

"Thanks," she smiled up at Sowon.

It was soft and Sowon could tell that she was really ill.

"You look weak," the taller girl extended the food out to her, "You probably need to eat something."

Yuju rubbed her sleepy eyes with her palms and wet her pale lips with her tongue.

"Gee, Sowon, you really know how to cheer a girl up," she teased.

Sowon blushed a little and mumbled a short apology.

Yuju placed her hand on the container of food and mustered up all the strength she could to once again smile at Sowon.

"I'm kidding," she chuckled, “I appreciate you checking on me.”

-

Sowon had been sitting on the couch in their dorm, watching some random drama, when Yuju approached her and asked to join.

When the elder girl agreed, Yuju flopped down onto the couch and laid her head on Sowon’s lap.

Sowon began idly running her fingers through Yuju’s hair as her eyes stayed trained on the television.

“Ooh, look who’s finally hanging out together in the public room.”

Yuju sat up, both girls turning towards where the voice had come from to find Sinb standing in the entryway to the kitchen.

“What?”

Sowon immediately felt defensive.

“You know,” Eunha suddenly popped up from behind Sinb, “Because you two usually spend time in your bedroom together. It’s like you don’t want us to know that you guys have started getting along with each other.”

As if they had planned this beforehand, Yerin then appeared behind Eunha and smirked.

“Maybe it’s because they like each other and want to have alone time~.”

A fierce blush flooded Sowon’s cheeks as Yuju simply laughed.

“Leave them alone, you idiots,” Umji called from her place at the stove where she had been preparing a meal for her members.

The three teasing girls returned to the kitchen, still giggling about getting Sowon flustered.

Yuju turned to her leader and found her pouting, her face still a bit red.

“What are you so huffy about?”

She pressed her finger playfully to the tip of her elder’s nose.

“Hmph,” Sowon didn’t meet Yuju’s eyes, “Can you believe they’d say something like that?”

Yuju smiled gently, carefully watching Sowon.

“Yeah…Right.”

-

“Stop! I’m going to start crying!” Sowon gasped through laughter.

“Never,” Yuju said determinedly, hovering over Sowon on her bunk, her tickling unrelenting.

The pair had been lying in bed together after a schedule, trying to rest, but sleep just wouldn’t come.

So instead, Yuju decided to do what she did best.

Bother her leader.

“I give, I give!” Sowon tried to scream, though her cry came out rather quiet since she was still unable to catch her breath.

Yuju wore a cheeky smile.

“Buy me a screw bar and I’ll stop.”

“Deal!” Sowon immediately agreed.

And just like that, Yuju’s motions halted, though she didn’t move from her spot above her elder.

For a moment, Yuju just sat there staring down at Sowon as she tried to get her breathing back to normal.

“Ya’ know, as your unnie, I absolutely do not appreciate being harassed like that. And in my own bunk no less,” she chuckled out.

Before anything else could be said, and definitely before either girl had a chance to realize what was happening, Yuju leaned down, placing a quick and gentle kiss to Sowon’s lips.

It had only lasted a mere second, but Sowon had to take a full minute to recover from it.

When she finally looked up towards Yuju, the silence in the room suddenly felt overwhelming.

But she didn’t know what to say to put an end to it.

“Yuna…”

“I uh…”

Both girls seemed to be at a loss for words.

That was until Sowon broke into a giant grin and pinched Yuju’s cheeks between her thumbs and index fingers.

“You’re so cute~,” she practically whined.

Yuju’s brows furrowed together in confusion.

“Unnie, what do you mean?” She whined back, her face still being squeezed by her elder.

“You’re such a baby! That was so sweet and innocent!”

Yuju shot to her feet as her face flushed a warm crimson.

“What are you going on about? I’m barely younger than you!”

Sowon quickly stood to join Yuju, wrapping her arms around the younger girl and squeezing her tight.

“Tiny baby Yuna has a big ol’ crush on me,” Sowon teased, rubbing her cheek playfully against Yuju’s.

“Stop it, unnie!” Yuju tried to wriggle out of her grasp, before finally giving up and grumbling, “I hate you.”

Sowon smirked, continuing to tease the smaller girl.

“Didn’t seem like it a few seconds ago~.”

-

Sowon looked down at her hand, which was currently surrounded by Yuju’s.

The two had gone out for a walk together before bed.

As the stars shown overhead, she smiled softly to herself.

“Yuna.”

The younger girl turned her focus from the sidewalk to her leader.

“Hm?”

“I’m glad you kissed me first. And I’m glad you asked me to be your girlfriend,” she squeezed Yuju’s hand, “Because I definitely wouldn’t have had the courage to have come to you. I’m sorry.”

Yuju chuckled as she shook her head.

“Don’t be sorry. You have nothing to apologize for. I’m just glad that we ended up together one way or another.”

“But,” Sowon tugged on Yuju’s arm, bringing them to a halt so that they could face each other, “You don’t understand. I was stubborn. I didn’t want to admit that I had been wrong before. That I didn’t hate you.”

“Wow, Sojung. I love being told that my girlfriend hates me,” Yuju teased.

“I’m serious, Yuna. What if you hadn’t come to me? What if I had just let things be, and we never-”

Yuju threw herself against Sowon’s chest, hugging her as tightly as she could, practically forcing the air from her lungs.

After recovering from the shock, Sowon slowly slipped her arms around Yuju, her palm rubbing careful circles against her back.

They stood in silence for a moment, Yuju simply clinging to her leader.

“Don’t talk about that bad stuff,” Yuju finally muttered, barely loud enough to reach Sowon’s ears, “It makes me sad…”

“Right.”

Sowon slowly slipped from Yuju’s hold, so that she could once again look at her younger member.

A gentle half-smile graced her face.

“Nothing but positive memories for us from here on out,” her hand found Yuju’s once more, “C’mon. Let’s get back to the dorm.”

-

Sowon watched from the corner of the rehearsal room as each of her members practiced their solo dances.

She was happy to have debuted with Yerin, Umji, Sinb, Eunha, and Yuju all those years ago.

They were like a family now.

Sowon couldn't help the smile that formed on her face when Yuju began her performance.

She loved her members, including Yuju.

Over the years Sowon had come to realize that the other girls had been right.

She was nice and funny.

Sowon got it now.

Sure, the two of them were quite different, but their personalities complimented each other.

Yuju gave her own smile to Sowon as she continued dancing, and the elder girl couldn't help but feel proud of how much their relationship had improved since their debut.

-

I’m finally back with this story! Thanks to everyone who stuck with me, even through this long hiatus lol. I’ve had this chapter half-written for the longest time and finally got around to finishing it. It’s not the best, but I hope you enjoyed it! I personally really like the way the beginning and end kind of mirror each other :) I do lowkey hate the way that the cover turned out though- it's so basic, but I had no idea what to do for this one. Oh well lol. Anyway, thanks again for reading!