oo7

vivre
jeju
007

“Shall we go on a vacation?” He randomly asked one evening.

Yerim looked up from her laptop and took off her headphone. “Sorry, what were you saying?”

“What do you think of vacation?” He asked again.

“Sure thing. For New Year?”

He nodded.

“You have any place in mind?” She asked.

He grinned, “I was thinking of Jeju.”

“Jeju?” He nodded.

“I want you to meet someone. Well not just one person. Two. They meant the whole world to me. And… I want to show you one of my most prized possession,” He explained.

She raised a brow in anticipation.

“You up for it? We can leave at 29, came back the next year. How’s that sound?”

She nodded. She didn’t mind a vacation.

♦♦♦

A week later she found herself leaning against him sleepily as they waited in line to board the plane. He wanted to take the private jet, she insisted on taking a commercial flight, they negotiated, he said okay as long as they’re travelling business. It’s kind of risky flying coach since they’re both heirs to multimillion company. Taking the economy class means they would be the talk of the town and they knew they will be on their parents’ wrath if they ever find out.

“Come on, it’s time to board the plane,” Jaehyun puts an arm around her shoulder and lead her to the plane.

The flight attendants bowed upon realizing them and he gave them a small smile as one of them led him to their seats. “Please enjoy the flight, Mr. and Mrs. Jung. Thank you for flying with us,” The flight attendant smiled.

Jaehyun politely returned their smile. They settled down and Yerim immediately closed her eyes. “Why are we taking the morning flight again?”

He chuckled as he pulled her close so she could lay her head on his shoulder. “Try to catch a shut eye. When we landed, it will be around 10. We’ll go to my house, then I’ll show you around, okay?”

She nodded meekly before she went back to dreamland. Later, she woke up to his soft coaxing, noticing that it’s almost time for landing.

After the plane landed, they went out to claim their baggage, and she tried to ignore people as they whispered while looking at them.

“Come on, the chauffeur is here,” He tugged her hand as he led her out of the airport.

A man dressed in black bowed before taking their suitcases.

“Where are we gonna stay at?” She asked after they got into the car.

“My family’s beach house. We rarely used it since Yunho hyung and I had grown up. We used to visit it every year when we were still small. It’s empty now. Someone came to clean it up every once in a while, so it’s totally livable. You will love the place.”

20 minutes later she found herself entering the property. It’s big, but not as big as the Jung’s mansion in Seoul. It’s within walking distance to the beach, and it has a big patio and a small pool at the back. The bedroom looks comfy, and the kitchen is simple but clean.

“Someone will come to cook and clean the place while we’re here. We’re on a vacation, so I’m not making you do house works, okay?” He smiled and she nodded in agreement. She could use some break.

“It’s 10.15. You promised me you will show me around,” She said.

He grinned. “Grab your coat, we’re going for a winter ride. And I want to show you my son!”

She cocked a brow, A winter ride? His son?

♦♦♦

Her confusion was sated when he proudly stood next to a Harley bike. “This is my son, Bureungie. We’re taking him for some winter ride,” He explained.

“You can drive this?” She asked, her eyes rounding as she approached the bike. Her fingers touched the cool metal of its handle and she got goosebumps immediately.

“I’ve been riding bikes since forever. I’ve never taken anyone on a bike ride with me. Come on, you’ll be the first,” He grinned as he motioned her to come closer to him.

“Whelp, I’m honored,” she rolled her eyes.

He laughed as he fastened the helmet atop her head. “I never knew that one day the spare helmet would come in handy. Alright, hop on,” He said.

“Look, this is my first time looking at a Harley up close, and I might not seem like it but I’m actually interested in riding it, but I don’t know how the I’m going to get on it,” she said.

He laughed again. “Come here,” he took her hand. “Put your left foot here. Yes, here. Okay, hold my hand tight and lift your right leg over.”

“How the hell do I lift my leg? I’m going to topple over!” She whined.

“Hold my hand, trust me. I’m never going to let you fall, okay? Now lift your leg, yes that’s right! Hold on, now let me get on,” He smiled. He gets on the seat immediately and adjusted the side view mirror.

“Alright, now hold on tight, we’re going on a ride!”

♦♦♦

To be honest, the ride was exhilarating. Yerim never knew she could feel so happy just by having a bike ride in the middle of a winter in Jeju. He brought her to the famous lighthouse and they took countless of pictures together. The famous yellow flower bed was nonexistent during winter, but he took her there anyway and they have a little snow fight before he announced his next destination.

“You’re hungry, right? It’s almost time for lunch,” He said.

“Not really hungry, but I don’t mind eating.”

“Alright, we’re gonna get food. But we’re not going to go to some high-end place, okay?”

She nodded, “I don’t mind. Where are we going?”

He grinned, “Somewhere special. It’s a humble shikdang, and I know the owners personally. They made the greatest seafood delicacies here. Come on, I’ll take you there!”

After a 10 minutes ride, they arrived on a small cozy looking place that resembled a cottage by the seaside.

Baek Shikdang

“This is the place?” She asked as she let him unfastened the helmet from her head.

“Yup. Come on,” He took her hand and led her in.

When they got in, it was very warm and cozy. The wooden interior with warm lightings made her feel at ease.

“Uncle Baek!” A man who looked like he’s in his fifties turned back and grinned immediately.

“Jaehyun!” The man gave Jaehyun a warm hug and pats on his back.

“I haven’t seen you in such a long time! Is this your wife?”

Jaehyun grinned, “Uncle Baek, meet my wife, Yerim! And Yerim, this is Uncle Baek!”

Yerim smiled before giving the old man a hug. “I’m Yerim, nice to meet you!”

“Wait, let me call my wife! She’ll be pleased to see you here!” The man went somewhere—Yerim predicted the kitchen—and he came back with a shorter lady with flushed cheeks and permed hair.

“Oh, in the name of God, Jaehyun! I missed you!” The woman went in for a hug immediately. “I miss you too, auntie! How are you doing?” “Ah, I’m doing great! This is your wife? Oh my god, you’re very pretty! Hi! I’m Dosook’s wife, Kyungja, but Jaehyun calls me Auntie Baek!” She smiled and bowed.

Yerim bowed back immediately, “I’m Kim Yerim, auntie!”

“So, Rim, they all used to work for my family long before I was even born yet!” Jaehyun explained.

“Really??”

“I used to take care of him since he was a baby, and my husband worked as his driver. After he went for school abroad, we decided to retire and go back here to open this shikdang. We rarely see him after he went abroad but he always makes sure to visit us at least once a year. Jaehyun here is really different from all the chaebols we’ve seen!” Auntie Baek explained.

“Really? Wow, he never told me that!” Yerim said as she playfully glared at Jaehyun who grinned back sheepishly.

“It was a surprise when Jaehyun told us he’ll be getting married. We thought he’ll be married off to some woman of his parents’ choice like his brother and we were right. We were so scared he’ll ended up with someone disappointing but, boy! He ended up with someone so nice and pretty like you. We were very relieved upon hearing his stories!”

“Stories? Yah! You’ve told them about me but you never told me about them this is unfair!” Yerim chuckled as she playfully hit Jaehyun’s arm.

“Yah, stop fighting, it’s alright! Go sit down, it’s going to be lunch hour soon! I’ll serve you something nice!” The woman ushered them both to sit down.

“Auntie, it’s going to be lunch hour soon, right? Shall we help?” Yerim asked as she glanced at the wall clock.

“No, no! You two are guest! Go sit down!”

“Auntie, it’s okay! I can help in the kitchen! I’m good with kitchen stuffs, trust me! Jaehyun can help Uncle with setting up the table, right, Oppa?” Yerim said again.

“Sure, we’re glad to help,” Jaehyun added.

“Oh no, guys, how are we making you guys work? Just sit down!” Uncle Baek said.

“It’s fine uncle. Let’s go, auntie, I want to learn your recipe!” Yerim linked her arm with Auntie Baek, asking the older lady to lead the way.

Upon reaching the kitchen, Auntie Baek pulled a stool immediately, “You can sit down here, Yerim-ah!”

“No, Auntie! I wanted to help! I really like cooking so I wanted to see how you cook food!”

“You cook? Wait, you are a chaebol too, right? How come…”

Yerim smiled, “I’m a rebellious one. I learned how to cook and I’m not bad at it. You can ask Jaehyun, we don’t hire any cook. I’ve been cooking for him all the time. On the way here he said how you guys made the best seafood stew. I want to learn how to make one so I can cook it again for him,” Yerim replied bashfully.

“Oh my God, Jaehyun really hit the jackpot by marrying you! But is it really okay, for you to be here in the kitchen?”

“It’s okay, auntie! Well, as long as none of my parents found out, which they won’t! Now, what shall I do?”

♦♦♦

Jaehyun whistled softly as he wiped glasses in one of the empty tables.

“Your wife is as amazing as your stories, Jaehyun-ah,” Uncle Baek commented.

Jaehyun smiled as he nodded.

“This is an arranged marriage, but the two of you are doing okay, right?”

Jaehyun sighed and smiled again weakly, “We’re okay with each other, but I guess we’re really more like a friend than a spouse? I don’t think we’ll reach that level of relationship soon. We’re still very much awkward to each other.”

“Really? Give her some time then, she seemed like a really nice and humble girl, different from all the girls your parents had tried to set you up with in the past,” Uncle Baek joked.

Jaehyun chuckled, “She’s the best. I’m very thankful that I got to marry someone like her. I think, we’re both still figuring out or feelings for each other, but we’re doing good,” Jaehyun explained.

“She’s a keeper. I can see that both of you will have a wonderful future together,” Uncle Baek added.

♦♦♦

The stew is bubbling and will be ready in a few minutes. Yerim stopped stirring and closed the lid to let it simmer down before sitting on the stool next to Auntie Baek.

“So, how’s marriage with Jaehyun?” She asked.

Yerim smiled, “Jaehyun is a really nice guy. At first, I was really disappointed when my parents wed me off to someone I barely knew, but it turned out that he was probably the best choice I could have.”

“Jaehyun called us a lot. He told us about you and we’ve been hearing tons of good things. But he did tell me once, that he’s scared that both of you will turn like his parents. But looking at you, you’re such a lovely girl, Yerim-ah. I believe the two of you will live together for a long time surrounded with love,” Auntie Baek said.

Yerim wishfully nodded, “I’d like it to be that way too, Auntie. Right now, I’m still trying to figure out my feelings for him. It’s very weird for me because we were forced to marry each other when we didn’t know one another. After that, he left me to settle work abroad for a few months. After he went back, we were on this rapid period where we began to get to know each other. Saying I don’t have any feelings for him would be a total lie, but I don’t know if what I’m feeling for him was love or not.”

Auntie Baek smiled and patted her shoulder, “Both of you are very innocent, it’s actually cute. Don’t worry, I saw how he behaves around you. He’ll get around soon. Please hang in there. I’m pretty sure both of you grew in a household that doesn’t really value love, that’s why both of you feel strange. But with time, everything will fall into place. So, don’t worry about it too much, okay?”

 

Notes

Hello, back again with the seventh chapter of vivre! Please anticipate for the next progress of their relationship as they both have figured out their feelings for each other lol. Thank you for reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting!

Layout by Fin