oo5

vivre
TRADING SECRETS
005

Weekend came faster when they least expected it, so now Yerim found herself in front of the Lee’s household in hoodies and leggings, while Jaehyun came in a bit more casual in hoodies and basketball shorts. They went to the court at the back of the mansion, and she was immediately tackled into a hug by her two so-called evil friends.

“Myemim! We missed you! Jaehyun hyung, even though you’re lucky enough you married her doesn’t mean you could hog her up to your heart’s content!” Donghyuk chirped. Yerim laughed at her friends’ antics before returning their hug.

“Hey, Jung boy! Come in!” Taeyong yelled from inside the court. Yerim noticed Taeyong, Minhyung and Donghyuk’s brother, who’s currently a managing director for SK Telecom of SK group. She noticed her hell of a cousin Doyoung, her own brother Jungwoo, the famous Johnny Suh of Loen Group, Moon Taeil of Shilla Group, and several other guys she doesn’t recognized.

“Aye, that’s my baby sister! Come in here, Herin’s here,” Jungwoo hollered.

Yerim stepped into the court, holding onto Jaehyun’s hoodie sleeve and he smiled at her warmly.

“Yerim-ah! Come here, you should see Taeyong oppa’s baby, isn’t he cute?” Herin ushered her to where the girls are seated.

She felt Jaehyun tugging her sleeve and she looked up to see him give her his wallet, his phone, and his car key. “Hold my things for me?” he asked and she nodded. He grinned before patting her head to join his friends. She gulped nervously upon the sight of him taking off his hoodie, now left in sleeveless Chicago Bulls basketball jersey.

Okay, despite being super tall and lanky, he’s secretly ripped.

Ya, Yerim! Are you done?” She turned her attention back to the girls and smiled, “Coming!”

♦♦♦

The boys played for almost two hours. Yerim and the girls moved into the house where the cook served some snacks. She was holding Taeyong’s youngest son who was only 3 months old.

“When are you planning to start a family with Jaehyun oppa?” Herin asked as she plopped beside her. Yerim gave her a side eye and she laughed. “I mean look at me, Yerim. I used to be unhappy with your brother, now we’re having a kid together,” She shrugged.

Yerim glanced at her tummy which starts to bulge and she smiled. “That took you more than a year, yes? It has only been four months for me,” Yerim shrugged.

“Well, but you start the marriage on a lighter note. I’ve seen how you were around him. It’s so much different from Jungwoo and I. We hated each other’s guts until we both realized hating each other will not bring us anywhere, and instead we learned to be friends. And we found out we were both good in bed and things escalated quickly from there,” Herin shrugged and Yerim shuddered. Not wanting to know more about her brother’s night life. Or maybe morning too, Ew.

She glanced at the window right at time for the boys to enter the house, all sweat and laughs. She watched Jungwoo plopped himself next to Herin, quickly bombarding her with questions if she’s feeling alright and stuffs. Yerim shook her head and went towards Taeyong’s wife to give her son back, before sitting on a vacant stool near the kitchen island, focusing her attention on the cook who were making lunch.

“What is that, samchon?” she asked and the cook jumped in shock.

“Ah, our Yerim is here. I’m making some grilled salmon. Want to see?” He asked and Yerim eagerly nodded. She busied herself making mental notes on how to make the fish when she felt someone putting a hand on her shoulder to see Jaehyun, looking like he just exited the shower, clad in his hoodie.

“Watching uncle Jang cooking?” he asked.

The cook smiled. “Miss Yerim always liked sneaking into the kitchen to watch us cook whenever her parents came with her and aren’t watching her closely,” the old man laughs.

“All those sneaking paid off, samchon. She’s a very great cook,” Jaehyun smiled and Yerim had an urge to poke his dimples.

“Really? I’m so proud of you, Miss Yerim!” The cook smiled and Yerim bashfully grinned. “You can sit down miss, and Mister Jaehyun too. Lunch will be served shortly,” the cook ushered them away.

“Alright. Let’s go,” Jaehyun offered her a hand and she gladly took it as they walked back to the dining room.

“Bothering Uncle Jang again?” Minhyung teased and she shrugged, “Well, I cannot help it. He’s my favorite person in this household.”

“Ya! We’re supposed to be your favorite!” Donghyuk argued and she rolled her eyes as she sat down between her brother and her husband.

Food were served shortly and she greatly enjoyed the food Uncle Jang made, making a mental note to try the recipe at home, maybe adding her own little twist to it and see if Jaehyun likes it. She glanced to her left to see her husband eating well, laughing along as he is being surrounded by his friends. As if fate, he glanced to his side and meet her gaze. He smiled before speaking softly next to her ear, “Try making this at home?”

Okay, she’s definitely going to make this at home!

♦♦♦

Yerim was just finishing a meeting with several songwriters, producers, and choreographer regarding NCT’s latest comeback so her mind is still preoccupied. With a comeback set in 4 months and a title track already settled, she had to think of further concepts as the creative director. She was busy sketching down concepts when she heard the door to her office being knocked.

“Come in,” she said softly. She looked up, surprised to see her sister in law. “Herin unnie! What a surprise!” She stood up to welcome the pregnant woman into her arms. “Come here, sit down,” Yerim ushered her to sit in one of the couches. “It’s so rare for you to visit me. What’s wrong? Is my brother being a bother?” Yerim asked as she fetched a water bottle from the mini fridge next to her desk.

Herin laughs and shakes her head, “I’m amused that those words rhymes. No, your brother’s been great lately. It’s just the last time I see you was two days ago at Taeyong oppa’s house and you’re so much fun to be with, and since I’m all cooped out in the house I’m bored and I wanted to see you.”

Yerim nodded, “How far are you along again?” She asked as she lightly rubbed Herin’s stomach.

“Five months, and we visited the doctor again yesterday. We went there last week to confirm the gender but the baby’s position isn’t that ideal to predict the gender. We can agree that the baby’s going to grow up mischievous like the father. But…. We’ve figured out the gender now!” Herin squealed.

“Really? Is it a boy? Or a girl?”

“I wanted a female first born, Jungwoo wanted a male. We made a bet. Guess who won?” Herin lifted a brow and Yerim squealed immediately, “Wait, wait. Is it a girl?”

Herin nodded and Yerim clapped her hands, “Oh my god, I’m so happy for you! I knew Jungwoo oppa said he wanted a boy but trust me, he’ll get whipped and your baby will totally become daddy’s little princess soon. I mean, you see him with me, I knew he’s going to treat his daughter better,” Yerim smiled.

“I hope so. Now, now, enough talk about this little button. Now tell me, how are you doing?” Herin asked.

“Me? I’m fine,” Yerim shrugged.

“You know that’s not what I mean. I mean, how are your relationship with Jaehyun is going? We didn’t get to talk much about it back at Taeyong’s house,” Herin said.

“Nothing much. We’ve upgraded from strangers to friends. We slept at the same bed, NO FUNNY THOUGHTS PLEASE. We’re cool with each other’s presence. He liked my cooking. He’s fine with me secretly composing and choreographing. That’s probably it,” Yerim shrugged.

“I think, you guys have probably made peace faster than Jungwoo and I did, that means, things will be progressing quicker for you,” Herin shrugged.

“Don’t keep the expectations too high. We’ll probably come around years from now. We’re both pretty reserved people while Jungwoo and you are highly extroverted. You both lash it out, but then you get the problem down. Meanwhile Jaehyun and I… Ugh, we’re a lost cause,” Yerim shook her head.

“Trust me Yerim. I knew both of you. You’ll come around sooner than you think. Anyways, the little sassy princess inside me is demanding food, so I suggest we head out for lunch?” Herin raised a brow and Yerim laughed, “Okay, mama. I’ll treat you and your princess some food!”

♦♦♦

When Jaehyun went home, Yerim had already finished making dinner.

“Hi,” the girl smiled as she stood out from the dining table. “I just finished cooking like 5 minutes ago. Let’s eat while the food’s still warm,” She said as she took the suit jacket from his arm to the couch before pulling him towards the awaiting delicacies.

After eating dinner, he went straight to the shower. When he exited the bedroom, he found her sitting cross-legged on the couch, her guitar in her hand. She was strumming something, writing down notes occasionally on a notebook in front of her. To his surprise, she was singing along. Deciding he wanted to watch, he leaned on the doorframe of their bedroom, not wanting to disturb her. Honestly, her voice is not that loud or powerful, instead it was very soft and airy. He thoroughly enjoyed the soft plucks and strums of her guitar combined with her light voice. To his surprise, she suddenly stopped playing and turned her head, catching him off-guard.

“Oh, sorry! Was I too noisy?” She asked, quickly putting down her guitar.

“No, no, no! Keep playing. You’re actually great,” Jaehyun said as he sat on the chair next to the couch.

“Composing new songs?” He asked.

She nodded. “Taeyeon unnie is making a comeback soon. She wanted me to write her a song. I didn’t get any inspiration at the office, and a while ago I just suddenly got inspired? I swear I won’t be making noises in the future,” she said and Jaehyun shook his head.

“It’s okay. I like music,” he shrugged. “Play me a song?” he requested.

“What song?”

“Anything.”

“Too vague,” she chuckled but she went straight to play some notes on the guitar and started singing. She ended her song softly and squeal in embarrassment shortly after.

“Do you make that song by yourself?” He asked.

She nodded, “It was one of my first compositions,” She shrugged.

“You should have gone to a music school. You have so much talent,” Jaehyun said as he picked up the worn-out notebook filled with lyrics and scores of her compositions.

“Hmm, oppa, wanna know a secret?” She suddenly said.

He looked up from the notebook before staring at her in curiosity.

“I actually had double degrees. I enrolled in a music school as well,” she grinned.

“Your parents allowed you to?” He asked, shocked.

She shook her head with a bitter smile. “Only Joonmyun oppa knows. And well, you.” “How come?” He asked. She sighs before putting down the guitar and instead picking up and hugging a throw pillow.

“I’ve always loved music, but my parents never let me pursue career as a musician. After entering college, I had a bit more freedom because I was allowed to drive my own car and managed my own bank account. And so, I secretly enrolled to a music school. I had to work part time to cover my tuition fees. I sold a few designer bags, clothes, shoes. Anything to let me study music. At that time, Joonmyun oppa had a secret apartment that only us the children know. We kept a keyboard, a piano, music equipment, synths, and stuffs there. But he was married, and Jongdae oppa was in the army so I decided to use that apartment frequently. On one unlucky day, Joonmyun oppa decided he wanted to visit his old apartment. He the stumbled upon the music school acceptance letter I had put without thinking on the coffee table.”

“How was his reaction?” Jaehyun asked, completely intrigued.

“He asked me why I did this, if our parents know, How I got the money… And I told him the truth. He then promised me to help me, and he helped pay my tuition fee. On my graduation from business school, everyone came. But when I graduated from music school, Joonmyun oppa was the only one present. Until know, not even Jongdae and Jungwoo oppa knows about this,” she shrugged. “Why don’t you tell them? I thought all of your brothers are supportive on your preference towards music.” “No one was supposed to know. Jungwoo oppa has a bit of a loose lip, so yeah, definitely not telling him. But with Jongdae oppa, I felt bad for him. He shared the same dream of me but he abandoned his dream and worked for the company instead. He had to suffer not being able to enjoy music while I rebelled,” She said.

Jaehyun nodded. “Since you tell me an important secret of yours then I shall tell you mine,” he grinned. Yerim eyed him curiously and he laughed.

“Remember when I told you I joined dance club and told everyone I was having debate club instead? Well, I actually joined another club. I actually love singing, and dancing, just like you. But also, just like you, my parents didn’t like the idea of me doing music. But then I met a sunbae of mine. You know him, Moon Taeil of Shilla Group. He was the leader of a Youth Church Club. I then joined out of curiosity but it was so much better than what I expected. We sang a lot, songs of praises. But on our free time we made covers and sang silly stuff and honestly that’s the best part. The same guy who found out I was having dance club actually kept track of me. I decided to invite him on our Church practice session one day, and boy he was shook. He expected me to lie but when he came, we were reciting bible phrases. After that, my parents stopped prisoning me inside the house.”

“Okay, that is one great rebellion!” Yerim grinned.

“Anyways, you know how to play guitar, and what else?” Jaehyun asked.

Yerim shrugged,” I’m good at guitar and piano, never had the courage to take other instruments,” she shrugged.

“I knew how to play the piano, courtesy of joining that church club. I might have forgotten some keys, though,” Jaehyun laughed.

“Speaking of piano… Do you mind if I bring my keyboard here?”

♦♦♦

When Jaehyun went home from work the next day, the house smelled like maeuntang. He was eager to eat but his track stopped upon noticing the black Roland keyboard at the corner of the living room.

“Hi! Welcome back! I made something hot and spicy today! Go take a seat!” Yerim hollered from in front of the stove.

Jaehyun took off his jacket and roll his sleeves before sitting on the dining table. “I see you’ve brought your keyboard in today,” He said with a smile.

She nodded sheepishly, “Well, you said you didn’t mind...”

“I don’t mind, I’m actually excited!” He grinned before taking a spoonful of the red broth, sighing at the warmth the food brings.

Later that night, he found himself sitting next to her, recalling chords and keys.

 
Notes

hi ho! I'm back with an update! Hope you guys like it! Thanks for stopping by to read this story!

Layout by Fin