A Broken Promise

A Broken Promise

The incessant rumbling of machine guns and growls of tank engines on the battlefield above them overpowered any communications the soldiers were trying to get by with.

"Incoming, everyone get down now!" The commander's voice bellowed from the entrance at the ceiling. Each soldier responded and rushed to hide under something, anything.

Constant bombardment was all their underground base was receiving and grains of dust and soil were starting to consume the air.

Hearing the cries and screams of agony was sickening, but it was something that was second nature by that point. Ever since the divided North and South went at it again, their lives changed for the worse and showed no signs in getting better either.

A loud bang. It shook the ground and sent vibrations through the steel foundations that kept the place still standing for so long.

"Just a little longer!" Commander Park shouted and managed to get through the loud noise.

That was all she heard nowadays, 'just a little longer'. It was starting to wear thin. Just how much longer was a 'little longer'? She could feel the dust and misplaced debris from the ceiling hit her sturdy, metal helmet. She wasn't sure if she was thankful or resentful. A knock on the wrong part of her skull could easily send her unconscious or even in a coma. Just anything to get her sent back home in the company of her loved ones was all she wished for.

That's when her eyes met the dark, chocolate ones sitting next to her under the protection of the table they scurried under. "Go home or stay in this hellhole with her?"

Another bang. This one had a much stronger force which shook the surface so hard it knocked the lights and disrupted the flow of electricity and cut it off, leaving them in pitch black darkness.

Instinctively her hand darted for the woman's beside her. The young, brown haired woman accepted the touch and grazed her thumb over the back of her young comrade's hand.

"It's okay Dahyun, I'm here."

Her grip tightened a little and her nails dug into her skin slightly, leaving crescent shaped marks in its wake on the woman's hand.

"Thanks."

Again, another loud noise. It jolted them out of their mini embrace, but it wasn't another explosion, thankfully. Or maybe not. The sound they heard was much more horrifying. Nothing could muffle it out. Nothing could filter it. Pure agony in its voice. Pure pain. Pure suffering.

It was a voice both women recognised and it was coming from the chaotic mess outside their "safe zone". Just more bull the military told them. As if it would ever be safe.

"Help!" The scream could be heard and their eyes widened in the darkness as they registered the distinct youthful tone to the voice.

"We've gotta do something." The older of the two said, jolting forward, ready to crawl out from underneath and get to her feet. The only thing stopping her was Dahyun's hand moving to her wrist and pulling her back.

"Sana, you promised. Remember?" She said, desperate for the woman not to go.

"Of course I remember," Her eyes softened as they tried to find Dahyun's in the blackness, instead she opted for the displaced black locks and tucked them behind her ear in a gesture she hoped would calm the younger down.

"But I can't just leave a comrade to suffer. Please, just trust me."

Dahyun didn't have a choice. Despite the silent plea conveyed through her eyes, the older woman tore her arm from the vice grip and made a beeline for the ladder, effortlessly scaling it and pushing the metal grate up to reveal the dusty air and ash covered surface.

"Minatozaki, get your back in here now!" The commander screamed as she noticed light creep into their base from the actions of her soldier.

Sana had already pulled herself up and was running into the brewing sandstorm so didn't catch anything being yelled at her.

From what little light seeped through, the black haired woman, left alone, could only watch as Sana's camouflaged uniform blended into the surroundings as she dashed towards the danger.

"Please, you promised."

 

Don't you ever feel so alone, like do you ever question why exactly we're here? Like why are we here?

Sana let out a hearty giggle as she Dahyun's hair, the two of them laying side by side staring up at the empty ceiling, void of the bright stars and mysterious moon. She her side to look at the younger woman's side profile and gave her a lingering kiss on the cheek.

"You think too much Dahyunnie, just live in the moment." Was her response to Dahyun's deep questions. That's all they could do and Sana knew it. They were always on edge, not knowing when one moment could potentially be their last. It was always her motto and she made sure to pass it on to Dahyun when Japan joined the cause and she was on the same team as the younger woman.

"But is this really living? We're always on edge, always fearing, always hoping for a miracle. Why can't we just be."

"Because life always has a way of of ing things up for you. Just learn to accept it. And you're not alone, I'm here with you." Sana once again replied to the younger girl, but she wasn't so contempt or convinced by the answer.

"But you could be gone in a blink of an eye. You're so important to me, what if there comes a time where you're no longer her with me? I don't think life would be worth living anymore."

Just that though alone caused a single, isolated tear to roll down her cheek. It glistened and Sana noticed it, immediately kissing it away.

"Don't be silly Dahyunnie," Her lips moved across to meet another set of lips, soothingly massaging them together to convince her that what she said is true. Her hand moved to the girl's chest, staying where she could feel the rapid beat of the girl's heart. "I'll always be with you here," Her hand pressed down on Dahyun's heart to emphasise her point. "Even if I'm not physically, I'll still be with you. Besides, it'll take a lot to get rid of me so easily."

Dahyun's head snuggled into the crook of Sana's neck, not wanting to move even for a second just in case, like she feared, it'd all disappear in a moment.

"Do you promise to never leave me?"

"I promise."
 

The winds of destruction blew dust and sand in her face but she squeezed her eyes shut and carried on running out into the open, searching for the same voice that called out for help amongst the orchestra of suffering.

On her feet she was weary of every shell being detonated, throwing more soil and into the air, every bullet whizzing in the air searching for its next victim and every scream leaving a person's burning lungs. But still she didn't let that put her off and powered through, not thinking for a minute that she should head back.

But the once prominent cries for help had died down and she didn't have a clue where to look. Opening her eyes, she was engulfed by the dusty air, making it impossible to search in the distance. Judging by the countless shots and explosions she could only assume that where that was happening was probably where most of the wounded would be.

"Chaeyoung!" She screamed, hoping she'd get a response from the soldier she was looking for. She was certain that the voice belonged to her. There was no mistaking it.

Sana was about to scream again, letting the dust enter her lungs and scar the already damaged tissue, but was stopped by a detonation not too far from her. It shook the ground so much she was knocked off her feet and as her hands came down to break her fall, they scraped along the uneven terrain, grazing them and peeling some skin off. As she fell to the floor, the right side of her cheek wasn't spared either; a single cut formed underneath her eye accompanied with a matching graze.

Trying to push herself back up, her eyes opened once more to be met with the sight of blood staring back at her on the dusty surface. Wiping it away with the back of her hand, the same voice she'd been searching for made a reappearance. Adrenaline pumped through her veins and her eyes widened in realisation; it sounded close.

Scurrying to her feet, she her heels and carelessly dashed for the direction it came from.

"Chaeyoung, where are you?!" She screamed once more, hoping she'd be loud enough to break though the chaos. A muffled groan replied back to her and that's when she knew she was close. Battling through the wind that kept pushing her back, she came across fallen debris and the voice became louder.

Looking down at the metal beam, she saw the grizzly sight of a blood covered soldier pinned down by the man-made object. Her uniform was stained in red and ripped at almost every seam.

"Oh my God, Chaeyoung!" Sana exclaimed, immediately rushing to the girl's side. She gave Sana a weak smile back in response, but found it increasingly difficult to keep her eyes open. It had taken a lot of energy to keep screaming for help and she'd lost so much blood; there was practically a pool of it underneath her.

The older woman's hands gripped around the steel and her feet sunk into the ground with the amount of force she was exerting trying to lift the beam and free her trapped comrade. Just as she thought it was shifting, a loud bang startled her and she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her side. With adrenaline being released she thought nothing of it and managed to move the metal enough that Chaeyoung could wiggle out from underneath.

Letting go, the beam hit the floor and shuddered, slowly coming to a stop. Not only had the younger soldier's top half been covered in the metallic substance, but her legs looked mangled and probably even worse.

Despite the pain radiating through her side, Sana ignored it and picked Chaeyoung up, scooping her in her arms and she rushed back to the direction she came from.

"Sana..."

"Shhhh, save your energy baby tiger." Sana hushed, wanting Chaeyoung to save her strength; it'd be one tough battle trying to survive her injuries as well as the blood loss and infection.

In no time, the older woman found the metal grate and kicked it open. She moved Chaeyoung onto her back so she could climb down the ladder and thankfully their base was lit with candlelight which made it a bit easier to navigate.

Rushing over to a bed, Sana laid the girl down and doctors rushed to her side, trying their best to salvage the situation. Sana stood there watching, until a sudden jolt brought her back to reality. Dahyun's arms wrapped around her waist and showed no sign of letting go.

For some reason it was painful. Dahyun's hugs had never been painful before, so why now. Her head was getting hazy and she suddenly didn't feel so good. Normally Dahyun would make her feel better. Then the room started spinning and she felt weak. Usually Dahyun made her feel stronger. Dahyun's arms let go of her body and she felt herself falling. Normally Dahyun made her stronger. But all of that meant nothing now.

When Dahyun pulled Sana in for an embrace she was so happy that she'd survived, but was startled when she looked down at her bloodied palms. Her eyes trailed down Sana's body and stopped at the small tear in her unfirom that was soaked in crimson coloured blood. That's when she let go and the woman she loved so much just dropped to the floor.

"Sana!" Her voice resonated in time with the thud of the woman's body on the floor. Immediately she grabbed a candle and got down on her knees beside her. Her hands pressed down on her wound, desperate to stop the bleeding even though she knew it was futile. Based on her ghostly face and struggling to stay conscious, Dahyun knew she'd lost a lot of blood.

"Come on, keep fighting for me baby." She pleaded, not wanting to accept what destiny had unfairly put in front of her. Her head hovered over Sana's and her tears fell on her face, clearing up her facial wounds, but the blood still came leaking from her side.

It was no use.

Sana's eyes were flickering and it was a struggle to stay strong. With the last ounce of strength she had, her palm cupped Dahyun's cheek and her thumb caressed the skin, wiping away the incessant tears that just kept falling like a waterfall.

Dahyun's hand rested on top and that only made them roll down her cheeks more. The flame of the candle flickered and swayed, it's fuel source starting to run dry.

"Remember, you promised me Sana." Dahyun desperately choked out. That's when Sana's hand weakly moved down her body and stopped at her chest. Just like that night, it pressed down on her heart.

"I'm, I'm not going anywhere." She rasped out, the strain in her voice evident.

The candle flickered once more but this time the flame on the wick was extinguished and couldn't be relit. Just at that moment, Sana's hand fell to the floor as the soul left her eyes and, just like the candle, her fuel source had aslo run dry.