A Little Favour [Chaewon X Joshua]

Under the Same Roof -AU Version- [SEVENTEEN X IZ*ONE]

“Hmm...” Chaewon scanned the books that were neatly placed inside a bookshelf. She decided to borrow a reference book from the library for her assignment. Since the lecturer gave her class only a week to finish up their report, Chaewon was determined to finish it up before the due date.

Unfortunately, that same determination she has was slowly diminishing when she couldn't find the book that she wanted.

“Not here too... Could it be someone had borrowed it?” she asked to no one as she titled her head in confusion. She had searched almost 3 different bookshelves under the same section but not a single book she was looking for was found as of yet.

“Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Surely there must be one somewhere. Plus, I haven't searched for the other 2 bookshelves. It might be there for all I know...” she mumbled by herself. She could hear a soft chuckle nearby and that immediately caught her attention. She looked around to see if there was anyone laughing nearby. Unfortunately, she failed to identify the one who chuckled earlier.

Shrugging her shoulder, Chaewon moved to the next bookshelf. Once again, her eyes scanned through the books sorted inside the bookshelf. After going row by row, she let out an exasperated sigh.

“Not here as well...” she began to pout slightly before shaking her head.

“Not yet Chaewon, not yet. You have one more bookshelf to look before you give up,” she pumped herself up before going to the next and last bookshelf. Praying deep inside her heart for the book's presence, she scanned through the books in the last bookshelf. And as if God heard her prayers, she finally found the book she was looking for.

“I found it~” she squealed to herself in a soft volume. Everything was good and all before she realized the book was on the uppermost row of the bookshelf – which she noted was a little too high for her to reach. She looked around to see if there were any nearby stool but alas, there was none.

She could have gone and searched for one but somehow she had an inkling feeling that if she left the place even just for a few minutes, the book will disappear on her. Not risking that moment, she faced the bookshelf once more.

“No matter. No high rows can stop me from taking that book,” she said to herself, looking up at the book with determination. She walked closer to the bookshelf and tip-toed. She stretched her hand over to the uppermost row of the bookshelf and surely enough, her finger managed to touch the edge of the cover book. She tried nudging it out but it requires more strength if she planned on pulling it out from its' place.

“Just a little more...!” she tried holding herself up but eventually, she stopped and stood flat on her feet once more. She looked up to see if she managed to pull it out. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Chaewon blew out air over to her bangs, letting her strands of hairs flying around before it settled down.

“This is getting nowhere...” she mumbled out.

“No kidding.”

A sudden voice that spoke up from behind startled her that she quickly turned around to see who was behind her. Surprisingly, it was a familiar-looking face that she didn't expect to bump into.

“J-Joshua-sunbaenim?” she blinked her eyes, trying to see if she was really seeing him.

“One and only.” he smiled. Chaewon was no longer in doubt when she saw his smile. Pretty sure almost everyone at their university could tell that angelic and soft smile of his in an instant.

“You surprised me,” she said as she crossed her arms over her chest, quirking one eyebrow at him. Joshua let out a chuckle which Chaewon realized how familiar it sounded.

“Sorry about that. It's just funny and cute when I see how determined you were as you tried reaching out for that book,” he answered. His comment instantly clicked something in her mind.

“Wait, you were here the whole time, weren't you?” she pointed an index finger at the young man. Joshua titled his head in an innocent manner – as if he was saying that he didn't understand what she meant.

“Don't play the innocent facade, Joshua-sunbaenim. I know you were watching me back then.”

“What makes you say that?” he asked, this time a smile appeared on his face. Chaewon rolled her eyes dramatically before looking at the young man.

“I heard you laughed. And just now, when you laughed again, it instantly clicked in my mind how familiar that laugh sounded,” she answered in a confident tone as she smiled at him. Joshua feigned a thinking look but Chaewon could see through it easily.

“There's no use lying to me, sunbaenim. I have a good hearing after all. Might as well remember that.” The young man's earlier facade broke and he smiled.

“You got me,” he raised both of his hand up, surrendering himself and that made Chaewon wore a proud smile on her face.

The young woman looked up at the book she wanted once more. Thankfully, the book was still there in its place. Who knows someone might have taken it while she was conversing with Joshua earlier. All that's left was to find a way to reach it. It wasn't until an idea popped up inside the young woman's head. She turned around to face the young man with a confident smile.

“Right, since I've caught you red-handed for laughing at me, how about doing me a little bit of favour?” she asked. Her eyes glinted in amusement which made Joshua looked at her with a questioning look.

“And that is?” he asked.

“Can you help me get that book up there?” she pointed at the one she needed. Joshua didn't need to look at which book she was pointing at. Without saying anything, he went and took the book out from its place before handing it over to the young woman. The weight of the book surprised her but nevertheless, she acted cool and faced the young man with a smile.

“Thank you~”

“Your welcome.”

Chaewon immediately opened the book and started reading it. She skimmed and scanned through the first page in lightning speed and quickly flipped the next page, repeating the same procedure just like before. Joshua let out a chuckle once more – completely amused at the young woman's actions.

“Relax, it's not like that book is going to disappear on you.”

“Yes, I know. I just wanted to make sure this book covers all of the required topics I needed in my report. Plus, I have to send the report by the end of this week which there's not much time left from today.”

“Let me guess, is it for Miss Hyorin's class?” His response caught her attention from the book.

“Oh? How did you know?”

“I was in her class last year. And I pretty much used the same book as you are reading right now as a reference for my report too,” he explained.

Chaewon's mouth parted slightly at the news, blinking her eyes in surprise. Seconds passed by and before she realized, a knowing smile crept up to her face. Joshua noticed her sudden change of expression and he chuckled at the sight.

“Why do I get the feeling that you're going to ask me for another favour?” he said. The young woman hummed in agreement, closing the book in her hand.

“And your feeling is right. I do have another favour to ask. Think of it as a little favour from your 'CUTE' junior,” she said in a confident manner, emphasizing the word cute just as how he had commented on her earlier. Joshua shook his head in amusement when she said her last statement. Nonetheless, he smiled at her.

“Well, it can't be helped then. What kind of senior would I be to my 'cute' junior if I refused to help her with her assignment?” Joshua commented in a dramatic way as he shrugged his shoulders. This time, Chaewon let out a soft giggle.

“I'll be in your care, Joshua-sunbaenim~”