The Best of the Best [Chaeyeon X The8]

Under the Same Roof -AU Version- [SEVENTEEN X IZ*ONE]

"And 1, 2, 3, 4! And again, 1, 2, 3, 4!" the dance instructor's voice boomed throughout the room, giving instructions for his students to follow his steps as the music plays in the background. Chaeyeon managed to keep up with the instructor's moves, looking sharp and clean. Her eyes never left the reflection of her instructor's moves from the mirror. They've just started a new dance routine but Chaeyeon has already memorized the moves.

"And done! Alright!" the instructor stopped at the end of their dance routine.

"Not bad! You guys caught up fast!" the instructor clapped his hands and the students did the same, each of them wore a proud smile on their faces.

"Alright then, let's take a 5 minutes break. Then, we'll do the usual recording. How about it?" The students cheered in approval before breaking off to do their own thing. Some of them either went out of the room to take a breather, continues to practice the dance or just sitting down with their friends and talking.

Chaeyeon, on the other hand, decided to continue practicing the dance. She recalled back the moves the instructor had taught them earlier. The images were clear in her mind and after 2 or 3 times repeating the dance routine, her body has finally gotten used to it.

"Good to see you're doing great there, Chaeyeon!" the instructor walked over and smiled at the young woman.

"Nah, it's nothing, Instructor Kim. Besides, I'm your assistant. What kind of assistant would I be if I can't even catch up to my own instructor's dance class?" she propped her chin under her hand in a sassy manner and gave him a sly grin. The instructor laughed wholeheartedly.

"That sounds very you, Chaeyeon. Always confident and aiming to be the best. Which is why I've always liked you ever since you entered my class," the instructor ruffled her hair roughly, creating a mess of the young woman's blond hair.

"Hey, not the hair!" she pushed her instructor's hand away and fixed her hair with a pouting face, causing the instructor to laugh at her. His smile was eventually replaced with a sly smirk.

"But you better watch out, Chaeyeon. Your 'rival' over there might eventually catch on to you first before you could on me."

At the mention of the word 'rival', Chaeyeon saw that Instructor Kim glanced sideways to her right. When she turned her head to the right, she saw her 'rival', Minghao – dancing to the dance moves the instructor taught earlier.

Minghao caught up to all of the moves perfectly. No small mistakes nor hesitation in his performance. Jun was there with him, practicing together in perfect synchronization. The students nearby also watched them in awe. It was no surprise to see the admiration of others towards both of them. It's how they earn recognition within the class.

Chaeyeon hummed in amusement when Minghao and Jun finished the dance routine. The other students clapped their hands and began circling around them, talking and praising their dancing skills as usual.

"Feeling jealous there, Chaeyeon?" Instructor Kim asked - the light teasing tone sounded very obvious in her ears.

"Jealous? Hah, nope. In fact, I'm even more pumped." she gave the instructor a determined look.

"That's it. That's the spirit of Chaeyeon I knew!" he said. He gave her a high-five and just like that, their 5 minutes break was up.

"Alright everyone, gather up! 5 minutes break is up and now it's time for our usual activity. Are you ready!?" Everyone in the class cheered in excitement and without any second of notice, the music starts playing in the background, booming within the classroom.

One of Instructor Kim's friends has started recording a video as he faced the instructor and the students with a camera in his hands. All of the students started cheering as they make a big circle around their instructor in the middle of the room.

"Alright, the first round! How about it, Jun? Care to join me?" Instructor Kim asked. Jun feigned a surprised look at first and acts all nervous. But once the music was reaching the part of their dance routine, he smirked and join by the instructor's side.

Both of them executed the moves in synchronization. Whereas their instructor's dance style was more of a hip-hop style, Jun has a touch of elegance in his dance. Nevertheless, their performance became the center of attention to everyone in the room.

The other students cheered in excitement at the duo's dancing. Even Chaeyeon herself couldn't hold back herself from cheering. When the dance reached the main point, everyone watched them with eagerness. When both Instructor Kim and Jun successfully executed it, everyone in the room cheered loudly, clapping at both of them.

Instructor Kim went and shook his hands with Jun before hugging him lightly – as a sign of trust and respect to each other.

"Alright, who's up next!?"

Chaeyeon wasted no time going in the middle of the circle, earning cheers from the other students. Even Instructor Kim was cheering along.

"Now who wants to compete with Chaeyeon!?" the instructor provoked, looking at his students. Chaeyeon knew who he was baiting at – and low and behold, Minghao stepped in just like she expected. All of the students began cheering even louder as they looked at the duo in the middle of the circle.

But at this point, Chaeyeon couldn't even hear the cheering anymore as she stared at Minghao with a confident look.

"You better not hold yourself back because I'm not," she said, smirking at him. Everyone in the room roared of astonishment. The young man in front of her scoffed and gave her an equally confident look right back at her.

"Glad to know that cause I've been planning to do so from the very start," he said. Once again, everyone in the room let out a roar of astonishment. Even Jun and Instructor Kim feigned a deeply pained expression.

Just like that, the cheering and whistles came back to her ears. The song playing at the background suddenly becomes louder and her body naturally responds to the beat. And when the song reached the beginning of the dance, her body suddenly becomes light.

Both her and Minghao executed the beginning of the dance in synchronization, earning awes and cheers from everyone in the room. Chaeyeon's focus remained sharp as she kept on executing every move with great precision and in-sync with each beat of the song. Her eyes constantly locked with Minghao's once in a while and so did he.

When the dance reached its' main point, both she and Minghao executed it with perfect synchronization that it made everyone in the room roared in excitement.

Even when they had reached the end of their dance routine, Chaeyeon couldn't stop moving her body. Her whole body felt light and she just wanted to continue dancing.

She went and did a freestyle dance moves, earning a lot of cheers and whistles from the others. Even her own instructor couldn't stop cheering and clapping at her. She could see Minghao staring at her from the sideline, quietly looking and smiling as he tried to blend back into the crowds.

Not wanting to let him go that easily, she looked over to him and stopped dancing. She gave him the taunting look and Minghao gladly took the bait. He went and did his own freestyle dance, plus including some of his b-boy skills and moves into the dance. The cheers were getting loud and Chaeyeon had to admit, she was impressed as well by his own moves.

Minghao finished his freestyle dance and stopped right in front of her in such a clean move that it almost looked like he had planned it from the very beginning. Chaeyeon wasn't fazed by the way he was looking down at her with a proud smirk on his face.

Soon enough, her previous taunting look broke into a smile and so did he. Everyone in the room applauded at them as they laughed and gave each other a friendly hug.

"Nice work out there, Chaeyeon," Minghao gave her a smile which she responded with a giggle.

"You too, partner~" she grinned.

While it is known by everyone in the class that she and Minghao have some sort of 'rivalry' when it comes to dancing, it is also known by everyone how both of them wanted nothing more than to see each another to overcome their own limits.

 After all, her aim was never to be the best – because what she's really aiming is to be the best of the best. And she's confident to say that Minghao felt the same too.