Haru (하루)

End Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Present Day

Kwon Hyerin is sitting on the pristine white sofa of Shilla Hotel’s Executive Suite. Wearing a custom made Monique Lhuillier wedding dress and a matching Mikimoto pearl tiara and necklace, she was the image of a picture perfect bride. Her good friend and Maid-of-Honor, Park Chaeyoung is fixing the bridal bouquet, while the wedding planner, Ms. CL Lee, is doing some last minute calls to make sure that everything is going to go without a hitch.  

There was a knock on the door and even before Chaeyoung could stand up to open it, a small blur of white and black came bounding in the room. 

“Mama! Mama! Mama!” 

The said blur is a boy of two years and the wedding’s ring bearer. 

“Jiho! I told you not to run!” a man came in lightly scolding the little boy. 

“Sowee, Appa,” the boy sulked. 

“It’s okay, Junmyeon oppa,” Hyerin smiled at the man. “Our Jiho here is just too excited for the wedding. Aren’t you, baby?” 

“Yes! Mama!” Jiho was back to his hyper self. He ran to Hyerin but he suddenly stopped. “Mama! Pwitty!” he looked at Hyerin in awe. 

At that, Chaeyoung laughed. “Looks like the groom has some competition.” 

“I actually have a delivery for the bride from the groom’s party,” Junmyeon opened a blue velvet box and inside is a beautiful pair of sapphire earrings. “It’s from Auntie. Your something new and something blue. She got it from her jeweler in Beijing. Auntie wanted to give it to you personally, but they were called downstairs to greet the guests.” 

“This is beautiful,” Hyerin remarked. She is so thankful that her mother-in-law had been so accepting of her. From the first time that she saw Hyerin until now, she treated her like a real daughter. Chaeyoung immediately went to her side to help her to put on the earrings. 

“Woah! This is amazing, Hyerin! Did hyung ever tell you when they will release this game?” Park Chanyeol, Chaeyoung’s fiancé and boyfriend of three years came bursting inside the room while showing his phone screen, his energy matched (if not exceeded) Jiho’s. 

“Nope. He only told me that it’s on the Beta testing phase. He asked me if I knew someone who can test it for him and I recommended you,” Hyerin answered. 

Chanyeol nodded. “It’s amazing! Only a few glitches when characters are a second or two slower in giving a response. But it’s great overall especially the graphics.” He was distracted when he saw the young  boy playing around the room. “Jiho-yah!” 

“Yeollie samchon!” giggled the little boy. 

“Oppa, please save your energy.” Chaeyoung told Chanyeol as he clung to her. “You might get too tired later. We haven’t even seen Baekhyun oppa and Jongdae oppa yet.” 

The couple looked amusing. With the giant Chanyeol hugging Chaeyoung, his pouting face on her shoulders and the girl scolding Chanyeol as if he is not two years older than her. 

“Eh. Those two will be coming in at the last minute for sure. They love being drama queens.” Chanyeol scoffed. 

“Are there already many guests?” asked the bride. 

“Yeah. The hall is almost full. Ilhoon is already having a bet with Shim Changmin on who can make Huang Zitao cry faster.” Chanyeol laughed. 

“Seriously, these boys.” One of her best friends from high school, Ilhoon, has always been a prankster. So when he met the mischievous Changmin (VoldeMin as Hyerin calls him), they instantly clicked. They have been pranking the guests since the wedding festivities started two days ago. It was a match made in hell. 

“I haven’t even seen that Jung Ilhoon today. Tsk, not even coming to see his best friend before she gets married.” Hyerin huffed. 

“Yah, stop huffing. Big, bad, wolf.” Junmyeon teased. 

“I’m not a big, bad, wolf, Kim Junmyeon. I’m the bride.” 

“Well, if you don’t stop you will soon be.” 

“Hyung, stop making the bride angry. Look, she’s turning red... Hahahahahahaha… OW!” Chanyeol joined the teasing and Chaeyoung pinched him on his arm. “I’m sorry!” he said as he raised his hands in surrender. 

“You should be,” a voice remarked from the door. “Because the bride looks stunning.” 

“Cho Kyuhyun! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” 

 

Twelve Years Ago 

 

“We can do this! Remember that we are representing Jeguk Academy and we must win to prove that we are the best high school in this city!” Eric Nam, the captain of Jeguk High School’s Academic Olympiad Team said as he gave the team his pre-tournament pep talk. “We are the smartest! We trained the hardest! And most of all, we want this more than them!” he said with passion and conviction. He is usually pretty chill and funny, but academic tournaments bring out the competitive side of him. 

“And if that’s not enough, Sekang Academy’s best science competitor is not here because he is sick,” Ahn Hani, one of the other team members commented. 

“You mean the Chinese student?” Park Sojin, the team’s science competitor suddenly became interested in the conversation. “That’s too bad. I hear that he’s cute.” 

“Hey! Focus!” Eric snapped at the two. “Even if they don’t have their Science ace, Sekang has an equally smart reserve.” 

Sojin scrunched her nose at their strict leader but did not rebut. 

On the corner of the room sat the other two members of the team. Kim Namjoon, the team’s ace in English, is just looking at his seniors while doing some last minute revisions in his mind while Kwon Hyerin, the team’s Mathematics genius is thinking about the music show prerecording that she has missed.

Hyerin’s best friend, Kim Jisoo, scored seats to watch Big Bang’s Inkigayo morning prerecording of “Gara Gara Go!”. However, Hyerin was unable to go because she had to meet her teammates early at the school to travel via the official competitors’ bus to Incheon, the place where the Olympiad is being held. 

The Academic Olympiad is the scholastic competition of the ASC (Association of Seoul Academies), the prestigious organization of the eight best private schools in Seoul. This year’s Olympiad will be a match between the two most bitter rivals throughout ASC’s 60-year history, Jeguk Academy and Sekang Academy.   

“Are you guys ready?” Choi Dongwook, Jeguk OSAC’s (Organization of Students for Academic Competitions) adviser said as he knocked on the team’s waiting room. “I had some last minute revisions with Siwan and Roy, just in case we need them to step in.” He was talking about Im Siwan and Roy Kim the two reserves of the team.

“More than ready, sir!” Eric Nam said enthusiastically as he led his team out of the waiting room and to the backstage where they waited for the host to call their team.   

“Welcome to the twenty-eight annual Association of Seoul Academies’ Academic Olympiad,” the host, Park Jungsoo, an extremely beautiful man in his mid-thirties announced as the crowd applauded. “Let me first introduce the members of our championship competitors!” 

Hyerin gulped as she saw the students of Sekang Academy, wearing their signature red blazer, confidently strutting to the stage.

“Son Seungwan, Year Two, English.” A petite girl with a kind face and beautiful smile approached the stage. 

“Lee Jinki, Year Two, General Information.” A very bubbly boy with an eye smile waved to the crowd.

“Do Kyungsoo, Year Two, Science.” A small boy with hear shaped lips and owl like eyes bowed. So this is the boy who stood in for the Science ace, Hyerin thought.   

“Shim Changmin, Year Three, General Information.” A very smug looking boy swaggered in and acknowledged the crowd’s yells. 

“And, Cho Kyuhyun, Year Three, Mathematics, Team Captain.” The boy stood and waved at the crowd. Hyerin must admit, this boy certainly got her attention. Maybe it’s because he is her direct competitor. He’s not as good looking as that Jinki boy, or as cute as Do Kyungsoo, or even as confident as Shim Changmin. But something about him is definitely luring her in. 

He might have noticed that she was looking at him because he suddenly looked at her direction. Hyerin’s heartbeat sped up at the eye contact and she felt herself blush. Kyuhyun smirked at her as he took a seat at the head of the table. 

“Team Adviser, Ms. Kwon BoA.” Jungsoo said as the adviser stood up from her seat at the first row of the audience and acknowledged the crowd. “Now, let’s meet the competitors from Jeguk Academy.” The students wearing navy blazers cheered for their school representatives.

“Kim Namjoon, Year Two, English.” Namjoon bowed humbly to the crowd as he made his way to his seat. 

“Kwon Hyerin, Year Two, Mathematics.” Hyerin heard some hollers and chants of ‘Kwon! Hye! Rin! Sa! Rang! Hae!’  as she made her way to her seat. Seriously! Hyerin thought as she internally rolled her eyes. She was sure that those are her boisterous friends: Kim Jisoo, Gong Minji, Jung Ilhoon, and Kang Seungyoon. She loves them, really. But they can be embarrassing most of the time. 

“Ahn Hani, Year Three, General Information… Park Sojin, Year Three, Science… And, Eric Nam, Year Three, General Information, Team Captain. Team Adviser, Mr. Choi Dongwook… Contestants, please shake hands.” 

The Jeguk and Sekang teams faced each other as they passed the lines to shake hands with each of their opponents. However, when it was Cho Kyuhyun’s turn to shake Hyerin’s hand, there was an unexplainable energy that passed between them. He smirked at Hyerin again. 

 

 

The tournament was tied. Everyone was anticipating the final round. Hyerin won against Cho Kyuhyun, Eric won against Lee Jinki, Hani lost to Shim Changmin, and Son Seungwan managed to win against Namjoon by a small margin. It was now the last round for Science and the score between Sojin and Do Kyungsoo is tied. Whoever manages to answer this question will win the competition. 

Park Jungsoo started, “The question is: In order to combat a virus, a treatment would be MOST effective by disrupting a virion’s ___________. Please give the three answers.” 

Sojin pressed the buzzer. 

“Jeguk,” Jungsoo looked at her. Everyone is now looking at Sojin.

“Nucleic acid, Capsid, and/or Envelope,” Sojin answered, her voice breaking at the last part of her answer.  

Everyone is holding their breath. This is it, if Sojin’s answer is correct, then they win. Not only will it be good for University applications, they also have bragging rights against their fierce rival.

“… the Champions for the twenty-eight annual Academic Olympiad…” the crowd started cheering, Eric suddenly stood up, tears left Sojin’s eyes. Hyerin could definitely hear Seungyoon hollering. “Jeguk Academy!” 

The whole team stood up and hugged each other. After months of preparation, going home late, sleeping at dawn to catch up on their regular lessons, missing outings during the school break with friends, they finally won! 

Sojin was sobbing while an equally teary Hani was comforting her. Hyerin linked hands with her sunbaes and called Namjoon and Eric to do a celebratory circle dance. They were overwhelmed with happiness.  

“Congratulations, Jeguk Academy!” They exchanged handshakes with Sekang representatives again and Hyerin made sure not to linger to much on Cho Kyuhyun. 

It was later after the competition that Cho Kyuhyun approached Hyerin. 

“Good job, Jeguk!” Kyuhyun said as Hyerin turned around to face him. He smiled at her, a real genuine smile, and Hyerin’s heartbeat went faster. 

“Ah… Tha—anks?” she answered unsurely. 

“Are you asking me?” Kyuhyun teased. 

“Ah… I.. I’m sorry,” What in the name is happening to her? She cleared . “I’m sorry. Thank you, Cho Kyuhyun-ssi.” 

“Ey, so polite. Call me oppa, instead.” He said as he patted her head. 

Hyerin felt her heartbeat increasing its pace by three times. She is sure that she is now as red as a tomato. 

“Cute,” Kyuhyun remarked. “Listen, Hyerin-ah. Is it alright if I drop the formalities?” he waited for her answer. She just nodded. “Great! So, Hyerin-ah, we will be having a get together after this. Me and my teammates and some of our friends from Sekang. Would you like to join us?” 

“Maybe next time, Cho Kyuhyun-ssi. I will probably be eating out with my teammates and friends.” 

“I told you to be comfortable with me,” Kyuhyun pouted. “Alright, I understand. You guys will celebrate your win. But,” he said as he put his forefinger pointing up as if telling her to wait. “I want to treat you sometime. Because of your great performance in the competition. I mean, you did defeat me,” he chuckled as he held out his handphone, Blackberry 8520, the newest phone model. “So please put your number here so that I can contact you.” 

Hyerin smiled awkwardly at him. 

“Come on, Hyerin. It’s just one meal. It’s really just a sunbae appreciating a hoobae, you can even invite your friends.” He said. 

“Really?!” 

“Yup,” he said as he put his phone in her hands. Hyerin keyed her number in his phone. It’s not that she did not want to give her contact to Cho Kyuhyun. She really, really, really wanted to be friends with him. But she was kind of shy and she was not sure what this exchange of contact entailed. 

“Perfect!” he said as he dialed her number. “You can save my number so that you know it’s me texting.” 

Hyerin just smiled. 

“KWON HYERIN!” 

She just heared Ilhoon screaming her name. “Sorry,” she bashfully said. “That’s my cue to go.” 

Kyuhyun chuckled again at her cuteness. “I’ll see you soon, Hyerin-ah.” 

“I’ll see you too, Kyuhyun oppa.” 

 

 

 

Hyerin’s high school routine went back to normal two weeks after the Academic Olympiad. After they won, the school hosted a series of luncheons in their honor, the alumni who now have high ranks in the country’s top universities set up meetings with them, and they were interviewed by the school publication (which Seungyoon was a part of) and national broadsheets. 

It was a typical Wednesday afternoon. Class 2-A is in their last five minutes of double period Korean Literature class. Ilhoon was doodling in his notebook, Jisoo was dozing off on the table beside Hyerin’s, and Hyerin was observing class 3-C’s Physical Education class in the field. The last bell rung, and the students greeted their teacher as they hurriedly packed their bags. 

Seungyoon was rushing from Class 2-B’s classroom to meet his friends. “You guys, we’re still on for the dog cafe, right?” he asked. 

“Yup, I just need to deliver this to Ms. Jung,” Hyerin gestured at the stack of homeworks that she collected. 

“Alright. I’ll help you, Ms. Class Monitor,” Seungyoon teased. Both Hyerin and Jisoo made their way to the classroom’s back door. “Yah, Ilhoon-ah. Why are you not coming?” 

“Detention,” the other boy sighed. 

“He tried to set the lab on fire.” Jisoo commented. 

“Hey! That was unintentional!” Ilhoon defended. 

Jisoo rolled her eyes. “We were having Bio, you were not even supposed to touch the stuff for Chem class, Ilhoon! I swear, if only you are not the music prodigy that you are, you would have been out of this school for ages.” 

“Whatever.” The boy shrugged. “At least I’m not the only one left out. Minji also has Dance Squad practice.” 

“Have fun at detention, Ilhoonie!” laughed Hyerin as they made their way to the faculty room. 

The three friends were walking past the gates of their school when Hyerin heard a familiar voice. A voice that she has not heard since two weeks ago. 

“Kwon Hyerin!” 

“Cho Kyuhyun-ssi?!” 

Kyuhyun smiled as he jogged to her, “Ey, I thought we were done with the formalities. I told you to call me oppa.” 

“Sorry, Kyuhyun oppa,” she blushed. “What are you doing here? Are you waiting for someone?” 

“I was waiting for you actually. We still haven’t gone on that meal that I promised. Why haven’t you been answering my texts?”

“Uhm, sorry about that, oppa. I actually broke my phone two days after the competition. My friends were goofing around when I accidentally dropped it on the stairs.” Hyerin winced as she remembered how her phone rolled on the stairs of the school. As if it were Humpty Dumpty. 

“And here I thought you were avoiding me. But no worries, we can always schedule that meal when you are free. Like, now?” He flashed his award winning smile to her again.

“Ehem-“ 

Seungyoon awkwardly cleared his throat. 

“Oh, right!” Hyerin shook her head. “Sorry. I haven’t introduced my friends. Seungyoon, Jisoo, this is Cho Kyuhyun, Sekang Academy’s Math representative for the Olympiad. Kyuhyun, they are my friends, Kang Seungyoon and Kim Jisoo.” 

After the three exchanged pleasantries, Kyuhyun diverted his attention back to her. “So, Hyerin. Shall we go out today?” 

“Actually-“ 

“If course, she’d love to come!” Jisoo exclaimed cutting Hyerin off. 

“But-“ 

“We were just on our way home. Aren’t we, Yoon?” said Jisoo, leaving no room for Hyerin to decline. She looked pointedly at Seungyoon. 

“Yes, we are. Of course, we are!” Seungyoon said awkwardly. “Err… going home. Yeah.” 

“Great!” Kyuhyun beamed. “I know this cafe that serves great pastries and coffee. A friend owns it, and I am close enough to him to get some discount.” 

“I guess… I’ll go then.” Hyerin returned his smile. It’s just a friendly outing right? Just a sunbae appreciating his hoobae. 

“Alright then. You guys enjoy!” Jisoo cheerfully said as she pulled Seungyoon to the other side of the school. 

Kyuhyun waved goodbye to the two younger students and led Hyerin to his car, the waiting driver opened the door for them. With one last look at the direction that her friends are going (Jisoo gesturing for Hyerin to call her dragging a still confused Seungyoon), she alighted the car to go to the cafe that Cho Kyuhyun was talking about. 

 

 

 

“No way! I love Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange!” Hyerin laughed as she took a bite of her oreo cheesecake. “Why do you not like her?” 

“I just think that her acting is sort of over-the-top,” Kyuhyun said as he sipped on his iced latte. “They could have casted someone more subtle, like… I don’t know… Eva Green?” 

“No, no, no, no!” the girl argued. “Bella is supposed to be crazily loyal to Voldemort, and Bonham Carter did absolutely that.” 

“Hey! That’s just my opinion,” Kyuhyun laughed. “You look like you were going to burn me alive.” 

“That’s cause you insulted Helena Bonham Carter’s Bellatrix!” 

Kyuhyun laughed again, clearly amused at the girl. “Well, one thing is for sure. All Potter fans abolutely hate the producers for not including Peeves.” 

“That we can agree on.” 

The two were sitting on the second floor of “The Mouse Rabbbit”, a cafe near Konkuk University. Kyuhyun got more than a discount for their cakes and drinks. As it turns out, the owner is a sunbae of his and Kyuhyun bugged him to give their orders for free. 

Hyerin actually enjoyed the afternoon with Kyuhyun. They have the same interests, from Math, to movies, to music. They never ran out of topic to talk about. The two even agreed to watch the next Harry Potter movie, The Half-Blood Prince, together. 

It was dark out when Kyuhyun dropped Hyerin off outside their house. A gated property in Pyeongchang-dong, Gangnam. 

“I had a lot of fun. Thanks, Kyuhyun oppa!” 

“I’m glad you did, Hyerin-ah. Let’s do this again sometime.” Kyuhyun said as he ruffled her hair.

Hyerin waved goodbye as she saw Kyuhyun’s car moving away from their house and she went inside as she saw the car turn. 

Her phone beeped and as she opened the message, she could not help but giggle. 

‘Good night, Rinnie. Sweet Dreams! - Love from, Your favorite Math genius.’ 

That night, Kwon Hyerin slept with a smile. 

 

 

 

“Come on, come on! Let’s go!” 

A group of girls walked past Hyerin as she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter