Arranged Time (Part 3)

K-Pop One Shots & Scenarios (Est. 2019; SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - PLEASE REFER TO MY OTHER COLLECTION FOR PUBLIC ONE SHOTS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pairing: Monsta X's ShownuxSohee (reader)

Url: Reader25

Trope: Angst, Fluff, Romance)

AU: Historical!Shownu

TW: Mention(s) of death

Song suggestion: Like Real People Do, Hozier

_

   Busy bodies bustled about as servants hurried to prepare the dining hall. The chattering of voices and clattering of dishes echoed through the great room; breathing life into the, already, lively walls. Though royal dinners were usually small in guest quantity, such events never lacked in quality; especially when such dinners were pre-cursors to celebrating the nearing unification of two rival kingdoms. 

    "My lady," Nari bowed deeply upon the sight of Sohee.

    Nodding her head, the princess heaved a sigh as she outstretched her arms over her head; the limbs' joints popping softly. Biting her lip, she blinked at the sight before her - a row of various, brightly colored hanboks all displayed neatly and carefully upon a silk sheet resting atop a long floor table. Gasping softly, her eyes grew wide, "What are all of these for?"

    "Tonight's dinner," Nari swiftly replied as she gestured towards the outfits with a bow. "Choose the one you like best, my lady."

    Blinking as she processed the somber haired female's words, Sohee took a step forward. Golds, pinks, light blues, purples, reds, yellows - all of these colors hued her line of vision, outstretched fingertips delicately grazing the smooth fabrics. Nari silently watched as the younger woman before her carefully lifted one of the garbs.

    A light pink jeogori complemented a deeper-toned blue chima; the edges of the sleeves and neck etched in white. Milky white, gold-lined flowers were embroidered into both pieces of clothing - adding an elegant, yet fresh touch to the look. Running her fingers over the silky material, Sohee smiled, "What about this one? Is it appropriate for tonight's affair?"

    Nari merely nodded, "Of course, my lady. Your husband-in-waiting is the one who sent these garbs to us, so all are permissible."

    "What do you mean?"

    Blinking, the small-framed woman's eyebrows crinkled in confusion, "You didn't know? Prince Hyunwoo requested you receive these hanboks for tonight's dinner. He spent most of last night arranging them by color, material, pattern, and symbolism."

    Warmth pooled in her chest upon hearing Nari's words, a smile twisting the corners of her lips at the thought of the man she had met the day prior carefully nitpicking the attires. He hadn't seemed like the type to do such a thing, to be honest. Due to the jumbled and (presumably) impossible situation she had been dealt, Sohee's first impression of Hyunwoo was that of a more reserved nature. 

    Then again, she did technically just meet him - or so she believed. At this point, her situation was entirely too confusing to comprehend, so Sohee figured it'd be better to accept the time-hop rather than fight it. After all, who knows - maybe this was her true destiny.

    "My lady," Nari's voice broke the young royal from her thoughts, "do you need assistance with dressing?"

    Shaking her head, Sohee flashed a smile, "No, you're free for today. Thank you, Nari."

    Bowing, the lady-in-waiting swiftly strode to the doors, but before exiting, Nari paused; turning as she hesitated for a moment. "My lady," her tone was low, "are you feeling better today? You don't seem as confused or frightened."

    Biting her lip, Sohee nodded in response causing the older female to furrow her brows, "Are you sure? Your concerns seemed genuine, so if something is troubling you, please tell me, my lady." With a sigh, the newfound princess forced a bright smile. "I'm okay, Nari. I'm just following through with my destiny, or maybe even a penance," Sohee's voice lowered as she grumbled to herself, "depending on how this ends."

    With furrowed brows, the Nari merely nodded - bowing once more before leaving to retain some privacy for her royal lady. Heaving a heavier sigh, Sohee knelt onto the bedroom floor; her knees lifting to her chest as she rested her chin atop her caps. Softly, she hummed to herself as her mind raced. 

    What was her family doing right now? Were they well? If she really is dead, how is her mother taking it? Is her father eating? What about her friends? Did they miss her? Was a candlelight vigil held in her honor? What was the funeral like? Were there flowers? 

    Ah, it sounds morbid, but she hoped there weren't too many of them; not because she disliked them, but rather because she wanted her family to spare expenses for themselves. With her father being bed-ridden and mother pre-occupied with caring for the family, Sohee had taken on the responsibility of bread-winner. Such a position demanded intense work and without a doubt, Sohee had tried to the best of her abilities.

    For five years, she had worked in an office - starting as an assistant and moving her way up the bracket. Her sibling was graduating soon - two weeks to be exact - so a larger salary was required for college tuition. Endlessly, Sohee worked her fingers to the bone - pulling all-nighters and pleading her boss for a raise. After months of such daunting tasks, Sohee was finally rewarded a new position, meaning a higher income large enough to support living expenses and her sibling's tuition. 

    The irony? She died, or whatever the hell happened, on the first day of her new rank. Essentially, the family would receive her last paycheck before having to fend for themselves. Not only would they have to cope with mourning, but now monetary stress would eat them alive - Sohee was sure of it. If she truly was deceased, then it was final and she would have to move on and believe in her family's abilities to overcome the obstacles. If she wasn't, however, and she had been transported to the Joseon era for some seemingly inexplicable reason or chance, then she had to find a way back to modern day.

    She had to.

    Wiping her tear-stained face, Sohee sniffed as she rose to her feet. Perhaps I just have to finish this timeline, she thought to herself. Maybe if I do that, I'll return home.

    Clenching onto the pink and blue hanbok's soft, silky material, a lump stuck in the back of as she choked back a sob. Forcing herself to balance her breathing, Sohee ran a hand through her hair as she braved a straight face; chin lifting ever so slightly and shoulders broadening confidently. 

    I can do this.    

-

    "Ah, King Sohn! So good to see you!"

   

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter