Hanahaki-Nari(a) (Part 4)

K-Pop One Shots & Scenarios (Est. 2019; SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - PLEASE REFER TO MY OTHER COLLECTION FOR PUBLIC ONE SHOTS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pairing: Chan, Woojin, and Hyunjin (Stray Kids) x Jackson/Ka-Yee (GOT7, **I'll be utilizing his Korean name - Ka-Yee - since it fits the AU better) x Young K/Younghyun (Day6) x Naria Moon (Reader)

Url: water_lilies

Trope: Angst, Fluff, Friendship

AU: Historical!AU

TW: N/A

Song suggestion: Amour Plastique, VIDEOCLUB (I would suggest this cover, however, since it's softer than the original: x)

Disclaimer: While Hahoe and Yangdong are real places, the events depicted within this story are entirely fictional.

_

    The forest hummed with life - the chatter of bugs buzzing throughout the dark green canopy. In the distance, baby birds sang sweetly as their mothers flew to and from their nesting areas; worms and other insects readied in heir sharp beaks. The sun that shone through the peep-holes between the leaves lit up the pathway Naria and Hyunjin walked upon - their sealed mouths resulting in an awkward silence.

     Twigs that snapped beneath their feet provided bass to the foliage that rustled from the wind's whistled breeze. The forest resembled that of a performance - all pitches joining to create a soft, seemingly never-ending piece specifically written for the duo because maybe, just maybe, they were the center stage. Perhaps they were the reason for the whistles and thistles and snaps that seemingly outlined their time together nearly perfectly - highs and lows, woody cracks and then nothing at all; only a cold breeze that whistled through the green stage left to serve as a haunting memory.

    A light sigh escaped her lips as she pulled out a piece of jerky from the pouch clutched in her hand. Holding the dried meat between her teeth, she carefully pinched another strip and held it up to Hyunjin, who accepted it with a smile. Together, the pair began eating in silence, but his hand that suddenly clasped around her shoulder caused her to jump in place.

    "Look," he grinned. "I'm an old man."

    Naria peered up, eyebrows arching in amusement as she watched Hyunjin bend the jerky downwards above his upper lip to replicate a moustache. Slowly his fingertips the ends as he raised his left brow high onto his forehead.

    "Who do I remind you of?"

    The laugh that had unraveled itself like stray thread poking from a hanbok briefly halted as she shook her head, "My father."

    Hyunjin's mouth curved into a smile as he joined the laughter - the sudden snap as the jerky broke into two pieces causing them to lose their minds. Hearty chuckles ricocheted from tree trunks and overgrown wildflowers and weeds. Birds squawking in the distance echoed through the land as they circled the tops of trees in search of the possible threats that disrupted them from their afternoon feedings.

    Wiping the stray tear that fell from her eye, Naria sighed in content. It felt as though they had both been transported back in time to when they were practically attached at the hip. She remembered the way he used to make her laugh - all of the silly antics and goofy jokes. It was a bittersweet memory, but there was something about reliving such an evocation that brought her comfort as they began nearing their destination.

    "Who are we going to meet, exactly?"

    His query struck after the pair had calmed down, the smile twisted upon Naria's lips faltering slightly as she sighed.

    "A shaman."

    Eyebrows arching and nose scrunching, Hyunjin's head reeled back in shock, "What? Since when do you believe in shamanism?"

    There was a pause as the young woman struggled to find the correct answer. Truthfully, she continued to be a nonbeliever, but a desperate one at that. If the cure to her mysterious illness lied within the shaman's grasp, then she decided she'd have no choice but to have a change of heart. Until then, however, she merely sighed at his answer.

    "I don't really have a choice."

    Hyunjin furrowed his brows, mouth opening as he began to ask what she meant, but as they approached their destination, her voice rang out before he even had a chance to form a query. 

    "There it is!"

    Beneath drooping branches and browning leaves sat a plain white structure, almost shack-like in its architecture. As the duo approached, the echo of a female's voice grew louder with each step - a sort of ritualistic chant neither Hyunjin or Naria recognized as they stopped a few feet before a heap of white cloth, or so it seemed. Ever-so-slightly, the pile shifted before fully raising upwards to reveal a woman who Naria assumed was the mudang Chan had suggested. 

    Remaining silent as to not interrupt the shaman's worship, the newcomers kneeled onto their own knees and tucked their heads. The woman continued carrying on as she bowed before the spirit tree - its thick branches tied and draped with five vibrantly colored cloth streamers in red, white, blue, yellow, and green. Eyes closed, Naria counted the minutes - a total of ten passing before twigs snapping signaled that the woman had rose to her feet.

    "Who are you?"

    Raspy was the mudang's voice as she eyes the duo wearily. Stumbling as they lifted themselves from the forest floor, they both bowed deeply as Naria politely explained her reasoning.

    "I'm sorry if we're intruding or bothering you, but I need your help."

    Dark eyes remained glued upon the young woman who watched the older shaman slick her graying hair back from her face to reveal thick brows that seemingly stitched into her forehead at a permanent slant - as if she were constantly angry, or perhaps confused. Naria wasn't sure which emotion it was, so she settled on both.

    "Come inside."

    The duo followed the woman into her home - eyes widening at the rows upon rows of ritualistic items that sat gracefully upon homemade shelves. With a simple gesture towards a floor mat centered in the middle of the small shack, Naria swallowed hard as she took a step forward to sit, but Hyunjin's hand that delicately clasped onto her w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter