Blast From the Past

Imugi: Dragonfall

“So what now?”

 

Back at base, Eunha was laid out on her bed, SinB scowling at Yuju from the foot of the bed, because Yuju had beat her to the spot by Eunha’s side. The shaman was still holding on to the unconscious mage’s hand, lips pressed together in a thin line. She hadn’t said a word since her earlier breakdown in the truck.

 

The room was too small to comfortably fit everyone, so Yerin and Sowon hung around the entrance while Umji planted herself at the floor next to the bed.

 

Yerin dangled the sack holding the statue that had caused all the trouble. Sowon frowned as Yerin continued.

 

“We still have some time before we have to turn that in.”

 

“ the job.” SinB was still justifiably upset. “I’d sooner throw that thing into the sea.”

 

“Probably a bad idea.” Umji pointed out, her eyes distant as she linked into the Matrix. “We still don’t know what it did to Eunha-unnie. I wouldn’t throw it away so soon.”

 

“Let me look at it again.”

 

Yuju suddenly spoke up, making everyone turn to look at her. There was a constant, dim glow in the shaman’s eyes, making her seem almost otherworldly. Everyone automatically moved a little further away as Yerin stepped inside, trying to find a free space to unload the statue without actually touching it.

 

The gold hit the floor with a dull thud. Inside the twisted cage of dragons, the ruby orb within winked a deep rich red, not unlike congealed blood. SinB resisted the urge to kick the thing as far away as possible, even as Yerin backed up to give Yuju some space to look at it.

 

At the doorway, Sowon tensed when she got a better look at the statue. Behind her eyepatch, she felt a sudden burning sensation, like a hot knife through her eye. She clenched her teeth together, gripping the edge of the wall so hard that her fingers left indents in it.

 

Umji looked up at the cracking sound, and reached up to tug reassuringly at Sowon’s pant leg. The cybersamurai relaxed the tiniest bit, reaching down to ruffle Umji’s hair. Umji leaned in, slipping back into her online world once she was assured that Sowon was feeling better.

 

Yuju was silent as she studied the statue. As if dissatisfied with the distance, the shaman reached out with a free hand, and suddenly the statue was floating off the ground, moving slowly to eye level. No one said a thing, though they were all quietly impressed. Yuju rarely showed off her powers in a mundane way, and it was almost too easy to forget that she was capable of more than just supporting the rest with her magic.

 

The statue was turned around slowly as Yuju studied it. No one else in the room could see it, but it was her watcher spirits who were holding it up for her. To everyone’s surprise, the shaman suddenly reached out and grasped the statue, bringing it close to her face.

 

“I feel her. Just a trace.”

 

“Are you sure you should be touching that?” Yerin looked nervous. Meanwhile, SinB caught on to the more important fact.

 

“Is Eunha trapped inside that thing?”

 

Yuju paused, her eyes seeming to burn holes into the unassuming ruby.

 

“No. Her essence isn’t inside. Just a trace, leading somewhere.” A bead of sweat rolled down Yuju’s forehead. “I can’t follow it…too far.”

 

Yerin was almost instantly by Yuju’s side, quickly removing the statue from her hand and dropping it back into the sack she was still holding.

 

“Don’t push yourself. You know what it does to you.”

 

Yuju was pale and breathing shallowly, but her eyes still glowed with power. Her other hand remained glued to Eunha’s. She shook her head slowly, as if she was bearing a great weight.

 

“Can’t…stop. Need to keep her safe.”

 

Yerin bit her lip. “You’ve been channeling all night, you can’t keep this up forever.”

 

“Wait, what has she been doing.” SinB interrupted. Yerin turned to her crossly.

 

“Yuju’s been channeling into Eunha since earlier, I didn’t have time to ask just now.” She turned back to the stubborn dog shaman. “Is there anything I can get for you to help.”

 

Yuju closed her eyes slowly. “Need to seal the area. Not safe.”

 

“Okay, sealing ritual. Umji, can you run a search for the necessary ingredients?”

 

“What kind of sealing ritual are we talking about?”

 

“Can someone please explain what’s going on?” SinB tapped her foot on the ground impatiently.

 

“Something against spirits would be nice. Right, Yuju?” The shaman nodded without speaking. Yerin then turned to SinB.

 

“Your best friend’s essence is somehow missing at the moment. That leaves her vulnerable to astral attacks, and as a mage, she’s a high priority target for any wandering spirits looking for a body.” SinB looked ill at the implication. Yerin continued, almost ruthlessly.

 

“If not for Yuju channeling her own magic into Eunha to protect her, something else could possess her and take over. She’s been doing it since just now, you just haven’t noticed.”

 

SinB shut up at that. Sowon looked thoughtful.

 

“You seem to know a lot about these things, Yerin.”

 

Yerin deflated a little at that, looking worn and tired. She looked up at Yuju, who was completely focused on the task at hand, and sighed.

 

“I used to run with another mage. She taught me a lot of things.”

 

“Used to?”

 

“She died.” Yerin said flatly. Sowon winced.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“You didn’t know.” Yerin waved it off. Meanwhile Umji rattled off a list of possible rituals, looking over to Yuju for confirmation after each one. When she finally hit on the correct one, Yerin nodded and indicated Umji to send it to her.

 

“I’ll go get what we need.” Sowon straightened.

 

“I’ll come with. We need to do something about the job if we’re not turning the statue in anytime soon.”

 

Yerin nodded.

 

“Good idea. We need to delay until we figure out what that thing did.”

 

Umji waved at them.

 

“I’ll look into it, stay safe out there.”

 

Sowon nodded, then jerked her head at the trio on the bed.

 

“Don’t let them get into trouble, alright?”

 

“I can hear that, you know.” SinB’s voice was sullen. “I’ll behave.”

 

The older pair left, leaving an awkward silence behind. Umji was the least affected, completely immersed in her virtual world as she diligently dug up everything she could regarding the ‘Heart of the Dragon’, the owners of the museum, and anything that could be even remotely related. Information was comforting. It was a way to make sense of things.

 

SinB stared at the unmoving form of her best friend. It was so strange to just watch her sleep like this, except this wasn’t really sleep, was it? Eunha had stopped letting SinB cuddle with her at night ever since her talent for fire had awoken. It was just too dangerous, because it was so hard to keep under control. Eunha had been so afraid, once. And there was nothing SinB could do for her then.

 

And nothing she could do for her now. SinB glanced at Yuju, who still had her eyes closed. Now that Yerin had pointed it out, SinB could see the minute signs of strain the shaman was under. For a moment, SinB resented Yuju for being able to do this for Eunha, while she could only stand by helpless. But it was a childish emotion, and she knew it.

 

“I’ll bring her back.” Yuju didn’t open her eyes, but SinB knew it was directed at her. Mages didn’t need physical sight to be open to the astral plane, that much she had learned by hanging out with magic users all the time.

 

“You can’t promise that.” SinB let out a long sigh. “Even know that’s hard to do.”

 

Yuju opened her eyes with some effort. A bright corona ringed jet black irises tinged with red. SinB’s breath hitched, scooting backwards on instinct.

 

“I swear I will bring Eunha back, on my life and magic.” Every word punched out like a hammer striking a nail, and the room grew still, as if something was witnessing the scene. Umji squeaked in the background.

 

“Yuju-unnie you can’t say things like that you know that’ll just…oh, Yerin-unnie is going to kill me.”

 

SinB felt a familiar wash of magic when Yuju finished, her eyes widening.

 

“That was…what was that.”

 

Umji covered her eyes with her arm. Her voice was very small when she replied.

 

That, SinB, was a magical pact. Now Yuju-unnie is going to either have to bring Eunha-unnie back, or die trying.” Umji heaved a sigh. “Was that really necessary? You were going to do it anyway!”

 

Yuju breathed out long and deeply, lowering her head.

 

“I couldn’t keep her safe. This is the least I can do.”

 

Umji massaged her temples. “Okay, more research it is. SinB, could you make me some coffee, I don’t think I’ll be sleeping any time soon…”

 

 


 

 

“You don’t trust me.”

 

Yerin stopped at a cul-de-sac just outside one of the exits to their base, her face expressionless as she turned to look at Sowon trailing behind her.

 

“You would have left Eunha, wouldn’t you?” Sowon dropped her earlier amiability, her lone eye cold as she folded her arms. “You wanted to earlier, I saw it.”

 

Yerin shifted her gaze to a wall. “Yuju made a choice. I won’t hurt her like that.”

 

Sowon pressed her lips together, a mounting headache throbbing at her temple. It shouldn’t be like this. She wanted to trust Yerin, and yet…

 

“I won’t abandon anyone on this team, Yerin.” Sowon started, then placed a hand on the other woman’s shoulder.

 

“Not even you, so long as you are with us.”

 

Under her grip, Sowon felt Yerin shudder, a flash of pain whisking through dark eyes. Yerin jerked out of Sowon’s hold, backing up like a wounded animal. Sowon focused on her eyes, because that was the only thing she could center on. The rest was a scrambled mess, though it rapidly smoothed out into an emotionless mask.

 

Yerin didn’t speak for a moment, her jaw clenched tight in suppressed emotion. Sowon was blocking her only path out, and she felt trapped. Trapped, and alone. Just like before.

 

Nails dug deep into her palms, deep enough to draw blood. For a moment, she saw through Sowon, a not so distant memory catching up to her like a persistent shadow. There was the alley, light drawing long shadows over her. Blood pooling at her feet, on her face, on her hands, and…

 

I love you, Yennie.

 

She slammed that door shut. Let the past stay where it was. She was here now, and there was no going back. She couldn’t ever go back. Not after that.

 

“Yerin, are you…” Sowon stepped forward. Yerin took a step back, eyes wary.

 

“I’m not going to hurt you.” Sowon backed up as well, slouching a little to make herself look less threatening. This was the first time she had seen Yerin in full fight or flight mode. The young woman had always projected a sense of insouciant joie de vivre, as if she were dancing through life without a care. Even in a fight, she never seemed fully serious, as if everything was just a game to her.

 

The only thing she consistently gave a damn about was Yuju, something even Sowon noticed right away. There was a genuine tenderness when she dealt with the shaman, even if Yuju dismissed it as more of the same kind of flirting Yerin did on a daily basis as protective camouflage.

 

Among all of Sowon’s recruits, she had always kept an extra eye on Yerin, mostly because the woman was still an enigma despite their year of working together. From her skills, Sowon could tell she was a professional, and no stranger to working in coordinated operations.

 

Out in the shadows, no one asked about your past. All of them had things they were running from, or things they had to hide. In Sowon’s own case, she had a past she didn’t remember, and right up until she met Umji, she didn’t even have much of a purpose in life. Sowon fully understood if Yerin didn’t want to discuss her previous experiences, but it didn’t stop her from keeping an eye on the runner. It was her responsibility to keep her team safe, and any uncertain elements needed to be watched.

 

“I’m not one of your strays for rescue, Sowon.” Yerin said flatly, her eyes glittering dangerously. Bit by bit she regained control, straightening as she wiped what remained of her earlier distress away, locking it behind her usual languid pose. Armored, once more, into the fray.

 

“Perhaps not.” Sowon noted, studying Yerin cautiously. “But you’re going to have to trust us at some point, Yerin.”

 

Yerin shoved past the taller mercenary, slipping out into the wider street. Before she vanished into the crowd, Sowon’s enhanced hearing caught her muttered answer.

 

“I’m still here, aren’t I?”

 

Sowon sighed. This was one additional complication she didn’t need right now. One problem at a time though. The tall mercenary strode out, purposeful.

 

No one was going to die on her watch.

 


 

 

Umji was very disappointed that she didn’t get to observe the ritual taking place, but Yuju was insistent and Yerin enforced that decision, literally picking Umji up by the scruff of her neck and dropping her outside before the hacker could protest. The older woman then planted herself at the door to make sure no one could disturb the shaman.

 

And no, the cameras didn’t work. Apparently, whatever Yuju was doing in there had enough feedback to short out her surveillance. Umji made a mental note to upgrade the rest of her gear to resist active magical feedback. Most of her stuff was already reinforced against ambient magic, but apparently she would need more heavy-duty shielding for the real thing.

 

Distractedly, Umji sorted out the data she had managed to compile thus far. The museum owner was a dead end for now, because it led to a string of shell corporations. Which was suspicious in itself, and she would need more time to dig up more links, though Umji wasn’t too hopeful on that end. Whoever owned that place clearly did not wish to be identified, but therein lay the challenge, did it not?

 

The Heart of the Dragon artifact ran up slightly more results, but it all dated to a few decades ago when it was first unveiled. There was precious little regarding its origins, with only mentions of how the ruby that centered the piece was a natural, uncut stone. Fat lot of good that information was. Umji was incredibly annoyed when she couldn’t even find out who created the statue. It was making her doubt her abilities to scour information off the Matrix.

 

She also needed to search for information regarding things that could potentially someone’s soul or essence out, but she didn’t have enough technical knowledge to sort out fluff from the real thing. There were too many wild theories and crackpot assumptions about magic floating around, and Umji vividly recalled that one time when Yuju-unnie had been browsing a few forums online with her. The shaman hadn’t been able to stop laughing at about ninety percent of what people thought was magic, but was really just a product of paranoid imagination, or could be explained away by mundane means.

 

Frustrated by her own lack of progress, Umji got diverted by a different search term instead: dragons. Sometimes it helped to look at things from a different angle? When she couldn’t find anything more related to the Heart of the Dragon, Umji decided she might as well expand her search. The number of search results was…staggering. It also made Umji very happy, but that’s probably not the point.

 

So it was while she was still comparing the differences between Western dragons and Eastern dragons when Yuju staggered out of Eunha’s room, supported by a worried-looking Yerin. The shaman was pale as a sheet, visibly drained by her efforts. The two were quietly arguing about something under their breaths, and Umji pretended not to notice, all while cranking up the volume of her listening devices in the room.

 

“You need to rest.”

 

“Need to check the statue again.”

 

“Sleep first.”

 

“Need to figure it out, Eunha can’t stay like this for too long.”

 

“You’re no use to anyone like this. You can spare a few hours to recharge.”

 

“I can still…”

 

Yuju abruptly cut off, and Umji looked up in time to see the taller girl slump bonelessly onto Yerin, who had a hand at the shaman’s neck, her thumb hidden by Yuju’s hair. Umji blinked as Yerin effortlessly shifted the unconscious shaman onto her back. The hacker opened , then shut it quickly again when Yerin placed a finger to her lips, indicating the sleeping Yuju on her back.

 

Yerin-unnie is scary… Umji concluded as Yerin piggybacked Yuju to her own room. Good thing Yuju had made them all promise not to tell regarding the magical pact earlier. Umji shivered. She wouldn’t want to be the one to tell Yerin that Yuju’s life was on the line here as well.

 

Out of nervous habit, Umji checked on everyone again. SinB was pacing in her own room like a caged tiger, clearly itching to go out but restraining herself with some effort. She peeked through the open door of Eunha’s room, but obviously there had been no visible change, unless you count the candle stubs on the floor around the bed. There was a queer static field emanating from the room, which made Umji back off instinctively. Whatever it was that Yuju did, it was powerful, and Umji wasn’t about to mess with the unknown. At least not without being prepared first.

 

Her eyes grew distant again as she synced into the cameras in Yuju’s room. It was dark, but infrared was a thing. Umji watched as Yerin tucked Yuju in gently, brushing stray locks of hair from the sleeping girl’s face. The older girl ran a thumb around the curve of the younger’s face, tracing the outline as if to mark every angle to herself.

 

“I see you.” Yerin murmured, as if to herself. She leaned down and pressed her lips to Yuju’s forehead, lingering for a moment before lifting herself back up. She cupped a gentle hand to Yuju’s face.

 

“This time, let me protect you.”

 

Umji was so engrossed that she completely failed to notice the hand clapping down on her shoulder. She jumped, startled. The culprit, a SinB who had finally wandered out, looked amused for a moment.

 

“They done?”

 

Umji nodded wordlessly, pointing at the open door. SinB walked over to Eunha’s room, stopping sensibly at the entrance as she checked in on her best friend.

 

“Say, isn’t Sowon taking a really long time?” SinB said suddenly, without turning around. Umji twitched visibly, already in the midst of locating her surrogate mother figure. The blinking dot representing Sowon’s location was just outside the base, moving slowly in.

 

“She’s back.” Umji heaved a sigh of relief, switching over to her electronic eyes to observe Sowon in the flesh. She gasped aloud, dropping the gadget she was holding.

 

“What?” SinB turned around to find Umji scrambling towards the entrance, where Sowon was just emerging. The adept’s eyes widened.

 

Sowon had been through a fight. Streaks of blood were smeared on her arms and face, and not a few splatters stained her long blonde hair. Her eyepatch was torn and frayed, revealing an unearthly red glow behind the black leather. Her lips were twisted in a grim frown as she patted Umji on the head. The hacker looked terrified, glued to Sowon’s side as if to make sure she was real and still alive.

 

“Someone really wants that statue. Took me a while to shake them off.” Sowon said by way of explanation. SinB quietly fetched a medkit, tossing it over to the older woman, who caught it with a nod of thanks.

 

“They were watching us then.” Yerin concluded as she came out of Yuju’s room. “They must have followed you, because you’re easy to spot.”

 

Sowon didn’t disagree. She was the most recognizable on the team. SinB and Yerin were good at laying low, and Umji rarely went out to begin with. The two mages were better known by reputation for what they could do, rather than how they looked. If anyone wanted to find them, spotting Sowon was their best choice.

 

“We might not have much time.” Sowon said grimly, peeling her duster off and frowning at the damage on the material. She didn’t seem particularly harmed, and had to assure Umji that the blood belonged to other people. Mostly.

 

“We’ll need to find out who else was eyeing that statue. And why they were willing to ambush you.” Yerin folded her arms, leaning against the wall. Sowon smirked briefly.

 

“Actually I just got tired of them following me so I took them out.”

 

“Unnie!” Umji scolded. Sowon chuckled, accepting the reprimand.

 

SinB cracked her knuckles ominously. “If they want a fight, they’ve got one.”

 

“SinB.” Yerin shot her a look. She turned to look at Sowon seriously.

 

“You found something then.”

 

Sowon inclined her head, reaching for her duster and rummaging from an inner pocket. A tiny medallion sparkled dully in her palm, the black metal oiled and glossy. Enclosed in a ring of metal, an inverted triangle spun in the middle, with the forked tongue of a serpent bisecting the piece.

 

“Found this on the best dressed one. The rest were just hired chummers.” Sowon tossed the piece to SinB, who caught it reflexively. “Look familiar?”

 

SinB had already gone white when she first saw the symbol. Nervously, she unclasped her fingers and studied the medallion gingerly, looking sick. She nodded, then tossed it back quickly, as if it was a hot coal.

 

Mireu. What are they doing so far up north, this is Tristar and Spartan territory.” SinB hissed, clenching her fists. “I thought we left that behind when you moved us here.”

 

“What’s that?” Yerin came in closer to study the medallion. Umji replied, quietly.

 

“Dragon cult. They’re fanatics who believe that the personification of Korean spirit was reborn as the dragon that resurfaced at the site of Awakening almost 50 years ago.”

 

“Those lunatics killed Eunha’s parents. The Purge…that was them and their supporters.” SinB spat. Her eyes had reddened. “They all but rule everything south of Daegu.”

 

Umji reached over sympathetically, clasping SinB’s hand. Yerin looked thoughtful.

 

“A dragon cult, looking for a dragon themed item? At least that’s on brand?”

 

“We’re not giving it to them. I’ll give them nothing.” SinB growled. Sowon nodded pensively.

 

“We don’t know if it was them anonymously posting the job, or if they’re just opportunists who happened to be artifact-hunting. I don’t believe in coincidences though.” Sowon smiled grimly. Umji nodded at her, already slipping into the Matrix to narrow her search with their new findings. Yerin reached forward and tapped the medallion.

 

“This area is still recognized as under Tristar’s protection, even if it’s not quite legally state sovereign land.” Yerin backed up, pacing as she analyzed the situation. Sowon listened attentively. Yerin was the one who was already active around Ansan when they moved in. She knew the area and its local power politics better than they did. If nothing else, Yerin still had a stake in helping them out. Sowon chose to trust her, even if most others would have kicked her out of their team by now. She believed Yerin would at least choose to be loyal to Yuju, if no one else. And the loyalty of dog shamans was legendary, at least once they had chosen their pack to protect.

 

“This…Mireu…might be able to move small forces into Ansan, but any more would be taken as a hostile move. I haven’t heard anything about overt tensions between Tristar and Hyeongdae of the south, so it’s likely just a few agents operating independently here.” Yerin concluded, folding her arms behind her back.

 

“And they want the statue for some reason, so it must be important to them.” Sowon surmised. “If they can’t bring in their own people, they just have to hire the local runner community to get it for them.”

 

“Lucky us.” SinB snarked. “Of all the jobs, it’d have to be them.”

 

“The real problem though, if we don’t turn the statue in, we’d be reneging on the contract.” Yerin’s brows were knitted together. “And that gives them a free hand to hunt us with the whole community on their side.”

 

SinB smiled grimly, cracking her joints one by one.

 

“Bring it on then.” She turned back to look at Eunha’s room, still dark and quiet.

 

“I’m not running away anymore.”