iii. exordium

Let’s Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

iii. exordium 

Exordium had always been a front.

An extravagant, lavish night club nestled into Seoul’s most wealthy district; Gangnam. The club itself was infamous; only the richest of the rich, the most beautiful, the most famous could even imagining stepping foot in the place. It had a reputation of the highest order, but alas, it was all a farce.

Exordium was a safe haven for all those mystic, supernatural and just un-human. It was a club in which they could fly under the radar and have a good time. Of course, Exordium wasn’t the only safe haven in the world, there was many scattered across the country. Most of these establishments were run by one kind though; Vampires.

Vampires had the vast majority of population in terms of supernatural beings, and due to this, there was much conflict between their own kind.

As society began to grow and human populations began to outnumber the supernatural, some vampires decided they wanted to civilize; abandon the archaic ways of the past in order to live in peace with their unknowledgeable humans. Thus sprung the New Generation Laws.

These were a new set of laws that Vampires had created in order to keep the peace. It was all quite complicated, but the overall aim was to eradicate blood slavery of both humans and other supernatural, to treat everyone even humans as with a level of respect, and overall these laws just wished to end the mass deaths. Vampires could no longer take blood from people as they pleased. There needed to be consent, and the harvesting of blood was seen as unnatural and un-moral.

Those still set in following the old ways sneered in disgust at those following the new laws. They believed that Vampires were the strongest of all species, and having to be civil with the other races was beneath them. They believed that they were entitled to take whomever’s blood they wanted, with consent or not. Those who supported the new way were seen as a disgrace of vampire kind and several of the older bloodlines would have nothing to do with the new council. However, there wasn’t enough power to prevent the change over to the New Generation Laws. In fact, many of the strongest bloodlines had chosen to accept the new rules. One of the most noticeable lines was the Byun descendants.

So began the Vampire war that spanned decades; a fight between the older generations ravaging greed and the new generations want for equality and peace.

Ten years after the war had been won by the new generation, the building of Exordium had began. It was the first of its kind, the first sanctuary. At first people had been unsure by the idea of a place that supernatural beings could mingle with humans, but soon enough other places were being erected in suit.

The club itself was made of the top club level, and three floors underneath the ground. The first level underground was the common area that included all the entertainment and dining facilities. The second was a large expanse of spiralling coridors that housed all of the many bedrooms and apartments that the coven stayed in. On this floor was also the Givers personal wing where they resided. The last level was a series of training facilities, armouries and council chambers for when they were visiting.

The council never stayed in one place for too long and had no official dwelling to speak of, which was a safeguard as much as it was a means to rule more effectively over the many covens scattered across Korea.

Every coven had an elected leader who had absolute authority over their territory and were responsible for upholding the New Generation Laws. Each leader would chose a suitable second in command that would take over the leaders responsibilities if they were incapacitated. If the New Generation Laws we’re threatened though, the Vampire Council would be called in to control the situation.

What Xiumin and Kyungsoo had suggested they try was more than enough reason to bring the council down on their asses.

Sehun couldn’t have cared less.

He knew that by now Xiumin would have pulled aside Jongsae to ask, or plead really, to spare some of his blood, allowing them to extract it and then not breathe a word of this treachery to anyone. It was a lot to ask anyone, especially a changling.

Contrary to popular belief, vampires much preferred blood of the supernatural kind. So as such, back when blood slavery and trafficking were more prevalent, it was the shapeshifting species that got the brunt of abuse. Since changlings didn’t have a government of their own, and often didn’t live within a pack or coven, it made them easy targets. Along with humans, obviously. One may prefer the gourmet taste of a shifter, but if in a pinch, they would much prefer a humans blood to starvation.

One of the top golden rules of the New Generation Laws was to abolish such abuse and slavery. Blood was the most sacred of all to vampires; it is ones very life force. It not only gave vampires sustenance, but it fuelled them to be stronger both physically and magically. Therefore, the laws proclaimed that the taking of blood without consent and without ceremony, was an unforgivable act. Vampire’s still needed to eat though, thus the new role of Giver was established; supernatural beings that volunteered themselves to support vampires. They were free to come and go as they chose, and were provided with housing, food, money, and were given high honour.

At first, there were few people willing to become Givers, at the worry that it was just a ploy to enslave the other mythic races. Vampires worried over the idea that they would soon come to a blood supply shortage, and that began the frantic search for Chosen Ones. A Chosen ones blood was perfection; existing to each individuals specific taste, needs, pleasure... and most important was that it was freely given as soon as that intimate connection was bound. Luckily, the situation got better over time with plenty of effort, and eventually there was enough Giver’s to supply all of the covens across South Korea.

As for the renegade vampires who pledged themselves to the old generations ideals; they continued to kidnap and take blood slaves until they were caught and punished.

Sehun, being a werewolf, watched all this conflict from the sidelines, never quite fully understanding the whole situation. And quite frankly, he couldn’t give a rats . Of course, werewolves had their own problems, but it was nothing in comparison to the Vampire’s wars. Sehun was more concerned about the well being of the one person who had pulled him out of his own living nightmare and rescued him. He only wished he could do the same for Chanyeol.

Sehun pushed the doors open to one of the few living rooms they had, decked out with a giant tv screen, plush couches, pinball machines, a popcorn maker (yes, vampires could snack too, thought there was no nutritional value to it) and even a damn stripper pole Kai had insisted on installing. Inside, Sehun easily spotted Chanyeol, laying curled in on himself across a couch. Kai was there too, reclined on another couch, fiddling with the volume of a movie. Baekhyun was not paying attention to the movie though, but rather on a shining object in his hand. Upon closer inspection, Sehun winced when he realized what it was.

It was his silver ring. Damn. ing. Hell.

Kai looked over when he heard the werewolf enter and gave him a look that expressed, Good luck.

Sehun frowned and cringed, as if saying, He’s been like this the entire time?

Kai rolled his eyes. What do you think?

Sehun sighed. Great.

Kai jumped up from his spot and patted Sehun’s shoulder. “Tag you’re it.” He whispered and then turned to look at Chanyeol. “Night night Chan. Can’t wait to see that smiling face again in the morning.”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Get out of here, would you? Don’t you have a to go ually harass?”

“Kyungsoo loves my ual harassment.” Kai wiggled his eyebrows. He looked a bit more serious for a moment before leaving, and placed a hand on Sehun’s shoulder. “I’ve tried cheering him up... He’s worse then usual.” He murmured and before Sehun could say anything to the vampire, he zoomed from the room.

Sehun turned his attention to Chanyeol and sat d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter