Final

Sweet Memory

Joohyun sat on the small chair in front of a painter. A painter which is her best friend, Kang Seulgi. She sat perfectly still, being an obedient model for Seulgi to finish her art project.

Her mind started to wander off to God knows where. Until she suddenly thought of that handsome senior, Park Bogum. He caught her attention when he was acting on the school's stage. The way his emotions show throughout his face, especially his eyes. They glint with different feelings that made her feel like she's going to fall in to those brown orbs of his.

She was planning to confess, but it's her first time. Joohyun doesn't know how she's going to express her feelings to his handsome senior. And so, Joohyun decided to ask her younger friend who is currently busy painting the details of her face.

"Seulgi." She called out. Successfully catching the attention of the artist.

Seulgi put down her paint brush on the nearby jar filled with water and raised her head to look at Joohyun. 

"Yes, unnie?" She asked, curiousity filled her mind.

"I like this guy...." Joohyun started, fidgeting her fingers on her lap. Seulgi raised her left eye brow and reached out for the paint brush again, dipping it on a paint. 

Joohyun proceeded to tell Seulgi about that handsome and talented senior whom she liked. Seulgi nodded while continuing the on the canvas. Joohyun suddenly crossed her arms and glared at Seulgi as she noticed that her friend doesn't seem to care about her story.

"Yah! Seulgi are you even listening?" She muttered while pouting cutely. Making Seulgi's heart beat uncontrollably.

"Don't move! I'm painting you, remember?" Seulgi tried to ignore her heart. Instead, focused her attention to the painting she's currently working on.

"Just... listen for a bit. I need your advice." 

"Ok, shoot!"

"What do you think I should say to him when I confess?"

Seulgi scoffed inside her mind. 'I can't even confess to you, how should I know what to say?'

"Isn't the usual 'I like you, oppa' just fine?" Seulgi stated with an expression that screams 'duh, unnie'.

"Is it really?" Joohyun muttered. 

"Why don't you try it?" The painter suggested. "Practice confessing to me and I'll see if you did well."

"Okay, here I go." Joohyun closed her eyes and took a deep breathe.

When she opened her eyes, she looked straight at Seulgi's monolid ones. The intensity of Joohyun's stare almost made the younger faint of a sudden heart attack. The butterflies inside of Seulgi's stomach is beginning to become unbearable. She gulped feeling nervous even though Joohyun is only pretending to confess to her.

"I like you."

Seulgi blinked.

"More sincerely!"

"I like you!" Joohyun stood up, fire burning in her eyes.

"Oh dear Gods, it's no good." Seulgi put a palm on her forehead. Joohyun glared and huffed at her. She chuckled at her unnie's childishness.

"Why don't you show me how to do it since you're an expert?" Joohyun sarcastically remarked.

Seulgi suddenly stood up and walked dangerously close to Joohyun's personal space. Their faces merely inches apart. Joohyun gazed at Seulgi's eyes that are shining and looked like it was filled with sadness, love and sincerity.

"Unnie, I...." Seulgi immediately stopped and took another step forward, their noses brushing.

They stared at each other for what seems like a few hours but actually, it has only been a few seconds.

Seulgi then smiled widely at Joohyun. Then the both cackled loudly, the sound echoing throughout the almost empty classroom.

"That was good, Seulgi! Great acting, I really felt the emotions you were trying to convey to me. God, if I didn't know that you're pretending I would have actually believed that you are really in love with me." 

Unknown to Joohyun, Seulgi has been in love with her the first time she entered high school.

---


Seulgi looked down from the second floor of the school with the biggest frown plastered on her face. Her best friend is currently confessing to her crush beside the huge oak tree where all the students confess to their crushes too.

When she saw that Joohyun bowed deeply to Park Bogum. She immediately changed her expression. Joohyun turned around and gave the biggest and warmest smile she ever saw on her unnie's face. The girl below gave her a big thumbs up, signalling the success of her confession. Seulgi could only smile back, hiding the hurt she is currently feeling. She can't take looking at Joohyun's face anymore so she turned around.

She put a hand on her chest and a lone tear fell down from her eyes. She ran away from the scene, not even waiting for Joohyun.

The next morning, Joohyun went up to her. 

"Hey! Why did you leave so suddenly yesterday?" She ran to catch up with Seulgi.

"Oh, sorry. I was feeling sick suddenly. So I just left without saying good bye." 

"I hope you are well now! I need to tell you all the details of what happened between me and Bogum!"

After that confession, their usual meet ups in lunch and after school were affected. 

In lunch when they were supposed to eat with each other, Joohyun was there with her new boyfriend. Sitting with Bogum's friends. The popular theater club kids.

She was hurt, but she would never show it. After all, she is just a friend. A friend wishing for the heart of the other, but it was impossible.

She would see Joohyun's face lighting up from a distance. The pain in her heart eases for a bit when she catches a glimpse of that smile from Joohyun. 'How bittersweet, my life had become.'

After school, she was supposed to paint her for an hour. But an hour turned into thirty minutes, until Joohyun never showed up anymore.

"I'm sorry, Seulgi. But I have a date with my boyfriend. Maybe, next time? Hmm?"

It was a good thing that Seulgi was so talented that she can paint anything and anyone even though it's only on her mind and not physically in front of her.

Seulgi sighed as she set aside her tools and equipments. She suddenly felt very tired and wanted to just sit motionless. She felt so hurt and numb at the same time.

There was also that one time when Seulgi was a bit late in eating lunch at the cafeteria. Carrying her small metal lunchbox, she made her way inside. She saw Joohyun feeding Bogum. They looked so happy and good together.

Joohyun must've noticed her because suddenly she began waving her over. But Seulgi just smiled and rejected the offer by shaking her head. It would be masochism if she sits beside those two sweet love birds.

Feeling her appetite go down. She just went to the arts club room and began finishing the painting.

She was painting on the lips when suddenly her mind flash backed to the moments where Joohyun and her were still hanging out like they used to. She missed Joohyun's loud laugh together with her painful slap on the shoulder.

She missed the way Joohyun would go to her house for a sleepover just to cuddle with her. Joohyun loves cuddling Seulgi because she smells like lavender. 

Lavender is Joohyun's favorite smell.

Joohyun had the biggest obsession to fabric softeners. 'Does Bogum know that?'

Joohyun hates chicken.

Seulgi's mind began overloading with Joohyun's face and anything that is related to the older girl that she likes.

She suddenly thought of the moment she had with Joohyun in this very second. Even though it was just pretend, she can't help but be delusional. She thought she saw Joohyun look at her lips then at her eyes. There was a tension between them. But maybe she was just being delusional.

She finished the painting. Her eyes began to water, sadness filling her mind.

Seulgi put the brushes into the jar filled with water. She started fixing her things, tears dripping from her eyes. When she finished, she packed up and walked out of the school.

She was near the entrance when she suddenly flinched back. Joohyun was clinging to Bogum's arms while waving good bye at her with a huge smile plastered on her face.

Seulgi could only smile, but if Joohyun only took the time to look closely at Seulgi's eyes, she would see the tears of pain and hurt glistening.

---


Seulgi began eating lunch at the art room instead of the cafeteria. She doesn't want to see the person she loves being sweet to another person. She knows that Joohyun must be sulking about never hanging out with her for the past few weeks, but she can't help it. It hurts so much that all she can do is try to avoid her best friend as much as possible.

As she was eating, the painting of her best friend was in front of her. She was still unstatisfied with her work so she's trying to find out what she could do more to improve it. It just doesn't capture Joohyun's out of this world beauty.

It made her reminisce. She remembered the first time she saw Joohyun. It was Seulgi's first day in high school and she was lost. She didn't know she wandered off to the second years' classrooms. That's when Joohyun suddenly showed up, with a smile so soft and the wind blowing her hair. Time suddenly slowed down when she saw Joohyun. They hit it off, Joohyun began inviting Seulgi to hang out with her everyday.  Her heart has never beat so fast, but when she met Joohyun, her heart never stopped beating madly. 

Seulgi didn't even notice that the door was opened by another person. The person started walking towards Seulgi. It was Park Bogum.

Seulgi opened to stuff another omelette inside it with a chopstick. But halfway through, she was greeted by Bogum. She threw him a confused expression and started putting down the chopstick from .

"Uhh, Bogum-sunbae what are you doing here?" Seulgi asked with a small voice. She was scared that Bogum would find out about her feelings to Joohyun because of the painting that Bogum was keenly watching.

Bogum was straight-faced, silently judging the painting. 

"You should put a variety of colors that would match with each other. It would show Joohyun's beauty more. Also, it would symbolize that Joohyun to everyone, gives more color to their lives." Bogum said and Seulgi was slightly impressed. He really was perfect as what Joohyun described.

"Umm, thanks for the suggestion." Seulgi muttered. She can understand now why Joohyun took a liking to Bogum. "You don't think that it's weird?"

"What do you mean?" Bogum raised his eyebrows and chuckled for a short moment.

"That I'm painting my best friend. The girl you love. People would often come here and ask that why am I painting her and would say that it's weird." 

"Nope, you're best friends! Why would it be weird?" He laughed more, his eyes was small, but it became even smaller if it was possible. It looked cute on him.

Seulgi didn't notice that their faces were too close. Not until Bogum suddenly faced her. They stared at each other for a short moment.

"Wow, your eyes are beautiful." Bogum blurted out of breathe. Seulgi's cheeks flushed, the blood rushing to her face. She was not used to that kind of compliment. Especially when the person who complimented you was merely inches apart from your face.

Maybe it was just because the moment suddenly felt right when their eyes met. But, when Bogum had shifted his eyes for a bit from Seulgi's eyes to her lips, she froze. She can't seem to move and was only awaiting for what will happen next.

Bogum leaned for a kiss.

Seulgi gasped, eyes widening from shock. It was only a short peck but if Joohyun saw this, she'll never forgive her. It was a good thing that Joohyun wasn't here.

But what they didn't notice was the person who was currently running away from the room who surely saw what happened between Bogum and Seulgi.

--- 

Joohyun can't believe it, her heart is breaking into million pieces. Seulgi was supposed to be her best friend! The one who she asked for advise. The one who she runs to whenever she is sad. Seulgi was supposed to support her relationship, not be the one to destroy it. 

Joohyun ran and ran until her legs gave up. She was crying so hard, just like the sky was raining hard. The clothes she is wearing is already weighing her down because of its added weight. Her eyes are red and swollen from too much crying. Her sobs are echoing throughout the school's playground.

"Joohyun!"

Someone called out to her, but she didn't notice it. She was too heart broken to even be aware of her surroundings. Her mind and body is numb from the pain from her heart and the coldness of the rain. She was taken back to reality when someone pulled her for a hug.

"Joohyun, I'm sorry." The voice of the person was filled with regret and sadness. It was Bogum. Her boyfriend that betrayed her. Her boyfriend who kissed her beloved best friend.

Joohyun stared blankly at him. She stared for what seems like forever, until her eyes burned with fire. Joohyun is furious at him and Seulgi. She can't forgive them both for this. They broke her heart!

'Maybe they both planned this! Just to hurt me. I didn't even know that they were hanging out behind my back.'

Joohyun pushed Bogum away. Her eyes burning holes through Bogum's face...

 

.. and then she slapped him.

 

Bogum froze on the spot. His left cheek was stinging with pain. Joohyun, his sweet girl friend whom he knew would never ever hurt a fly, had slapped him with so much force. He really hurt her so much. What was he even thinking? He didn't mean to kiss Seulgi, but he did. He bowed his head and could only mutter a small sorry, then another sorry, and another even though he knew that no matter how many sorry he says, Joohyun could never forgive him.

After slapping him, Joohyun fled from the scene wiping away her tears. She doesn't want anything to do with her ex boyfriend and her ex best friend anymore.

Meanwhile, Seulgi ran after Bogum. She distanced herself a few meters away. Right after they both heard the sounds of footsteps, they immediately investigated. Bogum saw a purple handkerchief on the floor, which was actually Joohyun's favorite. That handkerchief originally was Seulgi's, but Joohyun found a way to get it from her. 

Bogum ran after Joohyun and Seulgi followed. Of course she would follow, she loves her best friend. Something might happen to her if she runs away with something big bothering her mind.

Seulgi then stopped and saw Joohyun crouched on the wall in front of the playground. She was miserably crying, staring blankly at the ground. Seulgi's heart broke, she never wanted Joohyun to be that heart broken. Bogum hugged Joohyun and then the next thing had shocked Seulgi to her core.

Seulgi watched as Bogum got slapped by her sweet best friend. She watched as Joohyun walked away. She could only watch and wait until Joohyun herself comes to her and slap her too. And so she walked solemnly back to the art room, staring at the painting, waiting for her best friend.

Seulgi's tears was flowing, she ruined their friendship, the only thing that was keeping her heart and mind sane. 

She sat perfectly still, her eyes devoid of any emotion except anguish. She reached for the paint brush that she threw before chasing after Bogum and Irene. She added more and more details, until it was finished.

Right after Seulgi put down the brush, the door opened with a loud slam. There was Joohyun staring at her with an unreadable expression. Seulgi could only bow her head and cry silently. It was silent the whole minute and it was suffocating for Seulgi.

"I could never hate you." Joohyun broke the silence. Seulgi raised her head up and met Joohyun's brown eyes.

"But I'm so hurt and angry and.... and confused!" The older girl shouted, her eyes welling up with more tears. "My own best friend, my confidant, my.... sister, betrayed me. You kissed my boyfriend.

Seulgi was weak, she can't answer back. She was sobbing loudly now, joining Joohyun's sobs. She could only cry and cry while her love is shouting at her.

"The only thing you could do for me is to at least answer honestly, Seulgi."

Joohyun moved closer to the painter clutching at both of her shoulders. She saw the painting of her when she looked away from Seulgi's face. It was beautiful, her best friend was really talented. But she is still betrayed and is searching for answers. So she looked straight at Seulgi's eyes.

"Tell me, do you like him?" Joohyun's voice broke as she asked.

Seulgi is trying to force herself to speak. She will never like Bogum! She loves Joohyun! She tried to talk but a sob only came out of .

Joohyun cried out once more. "Do you like him? Answer me, Kang Seulgi! Answer me!"

"I.... like... the one I like is.." Seulgi can't say the truth. She can't. Joohyun thought of this as a sign that Seulgi really liked Bogum.

Joohyun pushed Seulgi to the floor. She reached out to a paint brush from Seulgi's equipment and began trashing the painting of her. She was blinded by her anger and ruined it all. Not even caring about how many sleeps in weeks Seulgi sacrificed just to make it beautiful. All of Seulgi's hardwork are destroyed in mere minutes by her own muse.

Seulgi cried on the floor. Not even bothering standing up, even until Joohyun left.

Seulgi loves Joohyun. Seulgi knew she could never make Joohyun hers for a lifetime. But now, even as friends, she could never have Joohyun.

All because of one guy, their friendship was destroyed. All because of Bogum, Joohyun would never ever become part of her life again.

---

Two days has passed since that fateful day. Bogum had explained to Joohyun that it was really his fault, he kissed Seulgi without consent. He only asked for forgiveness and is contented even if he and Joohyun will only be friends. Joohyun forgave him, with a smile. "No hard feelings, Bogum. Thank you for saying the truth."

But Seulgi and Joohyun never spoke nor smile to each other whenever they pass by. Joohyun wanted to approach her, but Seulgi always avoided her like the plague. Just like what's happening right now.

Joohyun had enough of this cat and mouse scenario. So when Seulgi once again in two days turned to a another corner of the hallway, she chased her. But Seulgi once again disappeared. Joohyun frowned and huffed, feeling frustrated.

Seulgi thought it was too close. Joohyun might've caught her if she didn't hurriedly got in the janitor's closet. She clutched her chest as tears threatened to fall down from her eyes. Her reason for avoiding Joohyun is simple really. So she could forget her love for her. And when she does fall out of love, maybe one day, they could be friends again.

Seulgi wants Joohyun to be a memory of a once beautiful friendship. Not of a heart wrenching unrequited love. She wants to remember Joohyun as her best friend. 

Seulgi had successfully avoided her until days turned to weeks and weeks turned to years has passed. Joohyun had long ago gave up trying to talk to her. Joohyun became best friends with Bogum and she joined the music club where she gained popularity. Whereas Seulgi remained the unpopular arts club geek. 

Today was their graduation. The end of their high school day. Seulgi stood in front of the school gates waiting to catch a last glimpse of her old love. There she was, walking out with her friends from music club holding their instruments. Their eyes met for the first time in years. Seulgi thought that she was over her, but she was so wrong. As their eyes met, Seulgi felt the familiar electrifying spark and could only wish that somehow, Joohyun felt it too. But that was only wishful thinking.

Joohyun smiled at her until she walked past her. Then she turned her head and reached out to her umbrella as it was raining. Turning her head back, Joohyun smiled again, this time with sadness because it might be their last time seeing each other.

Seulgi felt her eyes stinging. A lone tear fell from her eyes. She would be leaving to go to an arts school in Japan. She regrets not talking to Joohyun for two years. 

'At least Joohyun looked happier without me in her life.'

Seulgi was happy that her last memory of Joohyun is a smile. 

Joohyun will only remain as Seulgi's sweet memory forever.