Missing Dates: The Lunch

She's a Cheerleader
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MISSING DATES

THE LUNCH

 

There were days I really didn’t want to go to school. Maybe it was a test I hadn't studied for enough, or I just wanted to sleep through my alarm. Whatever the reason, sometimes I just felt like ditching.

 

The Monday morning after the picnic lunch/Mortal Kombat reenactment had started off as one of those days. I was ready to bury my head under my pillow and try to grab a couple more minutes of rest when a thought entered my brain at a hundred miles an hour: I would see Lisa that day. Over twenty-four hours had passed since we’d last seen each other (texts were great but not enough—maybe I should snap some pics of her to have on my phone for emergencies?), and I was less than an hour away from seeing her in person again. What was I doing still in bed?

 

 

I got to school extra early, which in the past had been a great way to see Lisa alone. My luck ran out though, because when I pulled into the parking lot it was totally empty. I didn't want to wait around, so I left and headed for a cafe not too far away. A chocolate scone wasn’t Lisa, but it was the best consolation prize under the circumstances.

 

 

I moped so much at the cafe that I lost track of time, and I ended up being late to my first class. Which also happened to be the only class I had with Lisa. Instead of enjoying my morning by spending extra time with Lisa, talking and laughing and maybe even getting in a kiss or two, I rushed into class ten minutes late and barely had time to send Lisa a quick wave before being chewed out by the teacher.

 

 

Throughout class my eyes kept on drifting to Lisa’s seat, which wouldn’t have been so bad if I didn’t sit in front of her. My stealth skills needed work because the teacher caught me most of the time. By the time she finished yelling at me after class, it was too late to catch Lisa before the bell rang.

 

 

That morning I had gotten a chocolate scone and a lecture. What I hadn’t received? A hello, or hug, or anything else from the girl I was dating, who might or might not be my girlfriend.

 

 

Classes dragged until it was lunchtime. Feeling better since I would finally see Lisa for more than a couple of seconds, I walked with a bit of a bouncier step than usual to the cafeteria. As I was about to enter, I felt an arm hook through mine and redirect me. My heartbeat picked up when I recognized the wild hair attached to the person dragging me along the emptying hallways.

 

“Lisa, what . . .” I started before her wicked smile silenced me.

 

 

“Our previous lunch date got hijacked. I know a place that’s private. For twenty-five minutes it’s just going to be you, me, and the contents of this bag,” she said as she lifted up a bag to show me.

 

 

I tightened my arm, which brought my body closer to hers until our sides were completely touching. “Can’t wait,” I excitedly responded.

 

 

She led us near the gym, down another set of hallways. A couple of times she paused as if remembering which way to turn, but soon enough we were entering an unlocked classroom, too small to be useful but just perfect for a secret rendezvous.

 

 

I wandered over to one of the small tables set out as a desk while Lisa closed the door after us. The addition of a second chair converted it into a lunch nook for two. I helped Lisa lay out the food as we sat.

 

 

“How did you find this place? I looks like it’s been abandoned for years,” I asked as I lifted the lid off a container. Homemade guacamole. A quick search found some chips. Awesome.

 

 

“You know, wandering around, you stumble across interesting things,” she replied vaguely. I was too busy unwrapping a couple of delicious-looking subs to think any more about it.

 

 

Once all the food was out in the open, I pulled Lisa into a hug. “Thank you so much,” I whispered against her ear. She squeezed me tighter in response. I let myself rest against her chest for longer than was probably polite. The way she scooted closer let me know that she didn’t mind.

 

 

When I tried to lean back the arms around me tightened even more as if protesting my movements. I froze, our faces only inches apart. It was natural for both of us to lean forward until our lips met in the middle.

 

 

We started slow,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter