- Chapter IV

With You

 

 

“And before I know it you start sparkling with my colours.”

 

 

     The brightness of the jewel was fascinating.

The green colour was intense and pure to Baekhyun’s eyes. He didn’t stop staring at his necklace since he put it around his neck. Younger, he wasn’t interested in the beauty of the object, but since he grew up, he came to understand the refinement of the ornament. If he concentrated enough on the jewellery, he could see some scratches.

 

“What happened to you beautiful?”

 

Some noises interrupted him in his contemplation. It was coming from the Slytherin’s common room. He checked the clock. It was indicating seven in the afternoon. He had taken an extended nape; he fell asleep around two. And then, when he woke him, he was in such an amaze and complete admiration about his ring that he didn’t see the time flying.

The boy heard people talking with a lot of enjoyment. For him it meant two very simple things: first of all, the Quidditch’s match was over, so he will find his noisy housemates again, and secondly; their team had won the game. Baekhyun didn’t know if he wanted to get out of his bed and meet the people outside or just stay in his bed for the entire night. He would see the Park Chanyeol smiling with all his white teeth because he’s the captain of the players’ equip. But, it was the last sight he would see in his entire life. Moreover, the kid must be very proud.

 

“Well, great for him”, thinks Baekhyun not very enthusiast.

 

The brunet decided to stay in his bed for some more instant before getting out of his warm blankets. He went by his shared chamber and bumped accidentally against someone. At first, he couldn’t see who it was, but this person was very strong. It didn’t make Baekhyun leave the rush without a little pain in his shoulder. He looked up and saw Wu Yifan. The seventh-year Prefect was borrowing the same door as him, at the same time. They stared at each other for a long time. This guy didn’t seem like he wanted to come into the room or to step aside to allow the smaller to pass – anyways, his presence here was quite weird. His chamber was on the opposite side of Baekhyun’s.

 

“Oh Baekhyun. You were all this time!”

 

“Yes.. I guess… ?”

 

“ I searched for you since we came back from the Quidditch Pitch.”

 

The concerned’s eyes started to crease, a lot of questions went through the brunet’s brain. Why was he searching for him? He felt something wrong about this. The taller didn’t continue on what he wanted to tell to Baekhyun. It makes the lastest sighed.

“Well, you found me. What do you want then?”

 

This time, his whole face frowned, he had enough of all this suspense, for nothing he’s sure despite the fact he really didn’t know why the Wu Yifan would search for him.

 

“Chanyeol is in the infirmary right now. He got into a small accident- ”

 

“And this has something to do with me ?”

 

“No, of course not. But as you always skip meals, would you mind to check if Chanyeol is ok? We have to celebrate the team’s victory with everyone in the Great Hall.”

 

Baekhyun prevented himself from throwing him a look. Y’all were supposed to be Park Chanyeol’s friends, right? But nobody will take the time to visit him while he was laying in an infirmary bed? That was very lonely. The brunet almost felt pity for the other Slytherin. By the way, he didn’t know why he was so angry; he contained his anger for himself.

 

“I will go.”

 

“Great, I knew it. I can count on you”, Yifan smiled back to him. “Oh,  and tell him that we will visit him later. Thanks Baekhyun.”

 

The taller came back to the other students quickly, indeed as excited as the other to join the festivity. In a swift second, all the group left the room, makes it became quiet as before. Baekhyun could feel the coldness of this place. A feeling he regularly goes through here, even if the room was always warmed up by the fireplace’s heat. It wasn’t that. It was about loyalty, honesty. Slytherins’ relations with each other had always been weird. He couldn’t tell if everyone was friends. Baekhyun wasn’t sure about the reasons why he had been chosen to be a Slytherin. Just because his family always had been the pick for this house? Or maybe because his ancestors were by Salazar Slytherin’s sides during his fight for the blood purity in Hogwarts, not letting the children of Muggle families be able to attend the school. Baekhyun didn’t share the same opinion as to his family and certainly the most majority of the pure-blood students.

In general, he thinks the organisation of Houses is entirely idiot. The competition created conflicts between students, and it was more stressful than anything for some. The brunet didn’t even feel like being a Slytherin sometime. He especially hates the kind of persons they were – those like Wu Yifan or Park Chanyeol, full of themselves. That’s why Baekhyun didn’t feel like becoming friends with them. They were all fake.

 

The boy returned in his chamber, and took his wand before leaving the dungeons. Hogwarts’ corridors were now empty, as everyone was eating their dinner in the Great Hall. So, the walk to the infirmary was peaceful for the brunet, and he liked it.

After a dozen minutes, he arrived in front of the infirmary. He opened the door, and Madam Pomfrey was standing right behind, as if she was waiting for him. She smiled gently at him. The place was dimly lighted, and very calm. He couldn’t see where Park Chanyeol was, since all the curtains were drawn back.

 

“Good evening kid. Are you Park Chanyeol friend?”

 

Baekhyun wanted to tell he wasn’t, but she asked him the question with so much sweetness; he nodded automatically. Then, in a small voice, to not disturbed her patients’ rest, the nurse started to give him the instructions for taking care of Chanyeol. She had to absent herself for the night; she was needed somewhere else, that’s why she was searching for someone to look after the giant.

Honestly, the brunet didn’t listen to the half of her speech, just wondering why he accepted Yifan’s request. An entire night with Park Chanyeol? That’s impossible; they will kill each other, for sure.

 

“Here, you will find the potions he has to take after dinner. Then here, there are the products you have to put on his wounds, but be careful. You don’t have to hurt him, his bones are still repairing.”

 

As she spoke, she put all the objects on a trolley with the giant’s dinner. A big bowl of soup. The amount was maybe enough, but did she really think a tall guy like Park Chanyeol will be full with only a bowl of soup? Well. But something was bothered Baekhyun more than this detail. It was when she gave him some instructions.

 

“Chanyeol broke his bones?”

 

“I thought you knew it. Didn’t you watch the Quidditch match? Everyone saw it. The poor boy fell off his broom at the end of the game. He slightly broke his arm; it needs to be treated.”

 

Baekhyun frowned. He couldn’t believe his ears.

 

“Sorry boy, but I have to leave now, I’m late.”

 

The old woman gave him a caring smile before leaving the infirmary. She left Baekhyun in his deepest thoughts. So… Park Chanyeol fell off his broom? He started to feel guilty. Earlier, the smaller wished the giant to fall off his brush. Now, he thought as it was his fault, and taking care of the Slytherin was his responsibility. He sighed and looked at the trolley. He took it and started to push it into the alley. The smaller came to understand there will be nobody else than Chanyeol and him as he discovered the other empty beds. And now, he was kind of nervous. 

Chanyeol’s bed was the last one of the room near the window. This one was wide open. The brunet would love to let it agape, since he always does it, but as the night had fallen, the outside temperature was a little bit chilly. The boy was asleep on his bed, his arm in plaster. Baekhyun put the trolley beside the bed and went toward the window to close it.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

The deep voice of the sleeper startled Baekhyun. He turned and faced Chanyeol who was fully awake. Maybe he wasn’t sleeping.

 

“So you were awake.”

 

“I was asleep, but you made noises when you walked in there, Byun. But now, tell me what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m closing the window.” The smaller held up the taller’s stare on him.

 

“I’m really not in a mood for joking. Just answer my question, Byun.”

 

“Well”, Baekhyun rolled his eyes before sighing, “I’m here to take care of you, because of your friends who are too busy to celebrate their victory in the Great Hall. Without you. Yes, it means that I’m actually pitying you. See, Wu Yifan you through being your friend- ”

 

“Hey, don’t talk about Yifan like that. It’s not his fault. He did come to visit me earlier, ok? I told him to go and enjoy the party.”

 

A silence took place between the two students.

 

“Where’s the nurse?”

 

“She left.”

 

“Why would she left?”

 

“That’s why I’m here.”

 

“Ok, but now if you’re here just to bother, please get out of here, I can take of myself.”

 

“So, you’re telling me you can eat your dinner with the right arm in plaster?”

 

“Yes, I can. Now, would you please, leave me alone, for god’s sake.”

 

“Ok, sure.”

 

Baekhyun threw a fake smile to the injured Slytherin before starting to go out the infirmary. If Park Chanyeol didn’t him, it could free his night, right? It will let him avoid hours of awkwardness or of trying to not kill the Park kid, because he’s unbearable.

 

“Byun Baekhyun.”

 

A smirk appeared on the smaller’s lips as he came back to the giant bed, who had yelled his name, making his voice echoing in the place.”

 

“Yes, that’s me, but why did you call me. I thought you didn’t need me?”

 

Baekhyun took an innocent look, kind of surprised, not knowing why the boy had called his name in such a loud way after telling him he didn’t need his help. They looked at each other for a moment. Chanyeol, who was making the sulkiest face ever, tried to tell his “substitution nurse” that his dinner was a little bit far from him. He needed his help for that, just only that. His stare travelled between the trolley and Baekhyun. He didn’t want to talk because he had to much pride. His anger grew little by little as the smaller faint to not understand what he was trying to tell him.

 

“So what? You said you could take care of yourself.”

 

“Don’t play with me Byun.”

 

“I don’t get what you’re talking about.”

 

“ you; you’re making fun of me.”

 

“That’s not nice.”

 

The tall boy growled and let his head bumped against the wall behind him. This was frustrating him. He couldn’t tell how much he hated Byun Baekhyun right now, but a lot. He hates him.

 

“Now. Please, just give me my dinner, you put the trolley so ing far away from me. Do you know I’m not allowed to stand up?”

 

Another silence went between them. Baekhyun didn’t move from his place, still looking at Chanyeol, with his theatrical interrogative face.

 

“Please”, said the taller, more gently, putting his dignity aside.

 

Another silence made his place in their conversation. Chanyeol was looking forward to the other boy’s actions, but it didn’t seem like he had the project to help him. The taller sighed, and prepared himself to try getting it by himself, but then Baekhyun took the trolley closer to the bed, installing himself on the chair beside.

 

“See. It wasn’t difficult to ask me politely.”

 

The brunet took the special soup Madam Pomfrey had commanded from the school kitchen for her patient. He saw Chanyeol extended his left arm toward him, expecting to have the bowl. Baekhyun took away the meal, shaking his head.

 

“I will feed you.”

 

“Byun- ”

 

“I don’t want to listen to your complains Park. Now, open your mouth.”

 

“Byun, I’m not a kid, I can eat by myself. I just asked you to put the dinner near me. You can leave now.”

 

“Open your mouth quickly. It will fall on the blankets!”

 

Baekhyun extended the spoon toward Chanyeol with the pot under to not let it really fall on the sheet. Then again, they stared into each other eyes for a moment, without exchanging words. The smaller had already pointed out the fact that all their interactions finished by a staring battle.

 

“It will cool down Chanyeol.”

 

And finally, the injured boy ate the spoon’s content, grimacing a bit since it wasn’t delicious.

 

“You’re a mystery for me, Byun”, he whispers, taking the next spoon given to him.

 

The brunet repeated his movements until there was no soup left. He put the empty dish on the trolley, and then, took the potions handed by the nurse. He red the condition of use before giving it to Chanyeol.

 

“You have to take these, and then I have to put some ointment on your injuries.”

 

The atmosphere between these two had changed into a different one. There’s no more childless. The two Slytherin didn’t talk a lot with each other, but it was nice like that. The silence between them wasn’t an awkward one as it always was, but a relaxing calm. It felt as they almost appreciate the other’s presence.

Without a word, the giant drank the philtre, grimacing anew. This one was awful, and he didn’t want to think about the second one. The brunet put way the empty phials on the trolley, and then took the cream. He looked up at Chanyeol while thinking.

 

“What?”

 

Again the deep voice of the giant makes Baekhyun going out of his thoughts.

 

“I think you have to take off your clothes, so I can put this on your bruises.”

 

“Do you think I can take off my shirt alone, with this”, he shows his arm blocked in the plaster, “Very clever Byun.”

 

The brunet didn’t say anything even if he’s pissed off right now. Chanyeol was always so disagreeable with him. Baekhyun was trying to be gentle and kind with him.

 

“I don’t even know where your bruises are!”

 

“On my back.”

 

“Great. Turn around please.”

 

So did the giant, with a lot of difficulties because of his arm. Baekhyun lifted the other boy’s shirt to show his muscular back. There was a nasty wound. He started to feel guilty again. He had to be careful. The smaller put the product on his fingers, and then spread it on the taller’s skin.

 

“It’s ing cold, Byun”, he complains, making the concerned frowned.

 

“It’s not my fault, and I’m trying my best here.”

 

He went tenderly on the purple colour bruised, afraid to harm Chanyeol.

 

“Ouch! It hurts here!”

 

“I know, I’m sorry ok? I’m trying to be careful, really. Since it’s kinda my fault that-  ”

 

“What are you talking about Byun?”

 

A silence. Baekhyun couldn’t tell him he predicted his fall. “Predicted”, that’s not really the term, but it includes his facility, and he didn’t want Park Chanyeol to be aware of it. What if he tells everybody about his divination power?

 

“Byun?”

 

“I… I wished that you fall off from your broom, ok? But I didn’t mind it- ”, he stops when he hears the taller laugh. “What’s so funny in that?”

 

“You’re telling me it’s your fault I fell off my broom? You weren’t even there, don’t you? You’re cute.”

 

Baekhyun leaves his hand from Chanyeol’s body, very confused. This one came back on his initial position, looking now at the smaller.

 

“It’s not your fault, ok? I let down my guard on the pitch, but the Bludgers were still free in the air. I’m just reassured that these big things didn’t hurt my members. And I’m okay really. Maybe I have one arm broken, but it will heal quickly. It’s not a big deal.”

 

His stare is still on Baekhyun who didn’t say a word, still perplexed. He could never understand Park Chanyeol, this kid was so weird.

 

“Thanks for taking care of me. I even think I heal a bit, thank your soft fingers. You can return to the dorm.”

 

A silence.

 

“Did you… just flirt with me?”

 

Another silence. They were staring at each other. Baekhyun was incredibly uneased, and he decided to break this awkward atmosphere.

 

“And, hm, Madam Pomfrey said that I have to look after you until she comes back; well I don’t know when.”

 

Again, a silence installed itself between these two. This one was as awkward as the precedent silence because neither Baekhyun nor Chanyeol could find something to say. The giant didn’t have much force to debate with the smaller on the fact that he can stay alone now since he could see that Baekhyun was bored now.

 

“Can you take my bag here please?”

 

This time Baekhyun nodded and did it instantly. He got up from his chair and went to the desk where the giant’s school uniform was also there. He took the bag, which was a bit heavy, and handed it to the other boy. The taller started to search for something in its pockets while Baekhyun re his chair. A few minutes later, Chanyeol found the object he wanted. It was a small book, maybe more a journal than a book. He gave it to Baekhyun who looked at him with a confused expression.

 

“Take it. I see that you didn’t take a book with you. It’s my grandpa’s carnet. He wrote all the spells he knows. And some are unreleased, nobody knows them. So keep the secret for you”, adds the boy with a smile.

 

Baekhyun was very confused. He wasn’t used to this kind of attention from the giant. That was very weird. They barely talked to each other, but Chanyeol knew what he might want to have right now. A book. He really wanted to read. That was very thoughtful. The other Slytherin saw Baekhyun’s walls disappeared, and that was a magnificent sight. He would always have those when he was with him. The other boy was smiling, with stars in his eyes while looking to the carnet. Baekhyun looked up at him.

 

“Really? I can really read this?”

 

The taller just nods, now contemplating the book lover devouring the journal content. “So, you still can make this kind of face”, though Chanyeol.

 

“Oh! I really love this one. Well, it’s a very basic one, but it’s so useful. Reparo.”

 

“Useful when you have a lot of old books at home.”

 

“Exactly!”

 

“I think my favourite would be Rictusempra. I always do this one on Kris since he’s super ticklish. His laugh is so ridiculously funny!”

 

Baekhyun giggled slightly. He turned the page of the carnet. There were so many spells in it. He couldn’t imagine how much time Chanyeol’s grandpa had spent on this book. It was a manuscript. The handwriting was elegant and beautiful.

 

“No! Well, guess what’s is my favourite one?”, he says with a smile.

 

“Ok! Don’t say anything please…”

 

They looked at each other with a wide smile. Nobody could believe they could get along so well, in such a short time. The two boys just have to take little steps by little steps into each other. They felt a connection between them as they never did before, and in the same voice, they shouted:

 

“Serpensortia!”

 

And they both fall into a loud laugh, also surprised, since they said this specific spell over a million. It could be something very different.

 

“You read my mind cheater!”, says the smaller.

 

His words made Chanyeol pouted. His face was actually hilarious, and it made Baekhyun laughed even louder. Then a tranquil atmosphere took over the room as Baekhyun calmed down. Again, they stared into each other eyes, feeling something drawing them closer.

 

“You’re beautiful when you laugh. You should do it more often.”

 

The giant’s words made the brunet lose his composure, his cheeks became red. He was very embarrassed as he was suddenly aware of his behaviour. He had let down his walls so easily, exposing his true self to Park Chanyeol, his worst enemy. The boy wanted to hide somewhere, but he felt he appreciated the giant now, it wasn’t a big deal. He hoped.

 

“Hey. Look.”

 

Chanyeol took his wand and did an unspoken spell. From the tip of his baton, a majestic cobra came out. It was bright and white, almost translucent. The snake started to crawl over the blankets, dangerously coming toward Baekhyun. But the smaller wasn’t afraid of the reptile. He was indeed fond of.

 

“Is that your Patronus?”

 

The giant simply nodded. At his answer, the smaller also took his wand, and did the same spell, but it was a little bit more difficult for him. A rattlesnake came out from his. It started to move on the sheets, meeting the other snake. They turned around each other, playing, joking around. Suddenly, Baekhyun heard Chanyeol whispering something. He looked at him and started to understand. Not, what he was saying. No, because it wasn’t English neither any human language.

 

“You can talk the Parseltongue?”

 

This time, Baekhyun had a wide smile from the other boy as an answer.

 

“You’re a mystery for me, Park Chanyeol”, he whispered to himself.