Once A Stranger (WonB)

Gfriend Random Shot Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SinB POV

“We want you as our main photographer for the upcoming project”

I almost chocked myself hearing the words that came out from . Her as in, Yuna, or Yuju as she told me to address her as. We only knew each other for like, I don’t know? 10 minutes maybe? I was sitting at the corner of the café, browsing through all the photos I just took at the park this morning when someone (yes that someone was her) suddenly sat right in front of me and gave me my favorite drink, double shots hot chocolate.

“Your favs right? Double shots hot chocolate?” Yuju started the conversation and I nodded.

“Good. The barista told me so and luckily she’s right or else I’m just wasting my money here” She continued as I looked at her, perplexed. And that’s when she realized that she hasn’t introduced herself to me

“Oh, my bad. I’m Choi Yuna” She properly introduced herself, taking out her business card and passed it to me “but you can just call me Yuju since we’re gonna be colleague soon”

“Colleague?” I asked myself. I browsed through her business card and that “KSJ Model” caught me. Somehow, it sounds familiar. Way too familiar. So, I thought of asking her.

“Wait- This KSJ Model isn’t that KSJ Model that I heard off, right?” I put down the business card and asked her, looking straight into her eyes.

“I think there’s only one KSJ Model company in the world, so I’m pretty sure that KSJ Model” she said while pointing at the business card “is your KSJ Model” she continued as she pointed at me.

“And by us being colleague, you mean that- that I’ll be working as…” But before I could finish my sentences, she cut me out

“Yes, you’ll be working for us, with us. We want you as our main photographer for the upcoming project” I wanted to believe that this was just a joke, but her expression, her voice, didn’t sound like she was joking.

“Why me?” Seriously though, why me? I’m just a freelancer, and I have never been featured in any top magazines for my work, so why me? I’m bombarding myself with questions.

“If you ask me, honestly, I don’t know? But our boss is the one who chose you, she wants you and that’s why I’m here. You can ask her yourself if you accept this offer. And if you do, I’ll see you on Monday at 9 am. Don’t be late” She quickly ended the conversation before I could asked her any further and left. And she might had just leave me with no choices.

 

 

“YOU WHAT??!” Their jaw dropped when I told them what just happened today and what my decision might be…

“So, you’re telling us that you wanted to let go of your ONE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY?”  Eunha glared at me.

“And that’s not the only thing you’re about to lose. Let’s not forget about that also Hwang Eunbi” I’ve gotten another glared from Yerin this time. 

“Yerin has a point. And her point is way much more important than mine, Hwang Eunbi”

Yeap, you know they were dead serious when they both started to call me with my real name. I- Ooff. I’m dead.

“But-“

“What but-“

“There’s no such thing as but in our conversation, SinB” They both cut me out before I could finish my sentences.  

“Can you both hear me out first?” I pleaded. They both looked at each other and conversed with their eyes before changed their gazes towards me

“Go on, but our decision remained the same”

“It’s not that I don’t want to. It’s just that I think I’m not qualified to work for them” I put my head down against the table, somehow feeling useless for reasons I didn’t even know why.

“I think you’re more than qualified to work with them, SinB. Besides, you told us that she’s the one who wanted you as the main photographer. SHE CHOOSE YOU. She as in- Kim So-“
“I know. I know” I interrupted Yerin before she could finish out her sentence “And that’s why I don’t know if I should accept the offer or not. Plus, how did she know about me anyway? You know how different we both are, our status, not to mention, our world?”

“Why don’t you ask her yourself on Monday?”

“But I-“

“Again with your but. Why don’t we make it easy for you then? If you don’t go to your new workplace on Monday, I’m gonna kick you out from this house and leave you with no choice but to stay with your annoying brother” Yerin threatend me.

“You really did leave me with no choice” Me? Staying with Jin oppa? Nope, no way.

“Great. You can thank us later. Now go and touch up your portfolio or something. Impress her more on Monday” The both of them dragged me off the chair towards my room and gave a quick peck on my cheeks.

“And in case you forgot, technically, she already knew you, but barely” Eunha winked at me, playfully, before leaving me alone in my room.

 

I doubt she even remembered it.

 

 

And so here I am, standing in front of the building that never in my life would I imagine getting the chance to step my feet inside. Am I really gonna work here? Not that I’m complaining, this is just me having a self-doubt, again and again and again. Barely had enough sleep last night because of it, sighed. It’s quite nerve-wrecking when you know you’re gonna finally get the chance to meet someone you adored since years ago face to face. My heart needs to calm down. I need to calm down. Be cool Hwang Eunbi, be cool. You got this. Don’t stutter and everything will be fine. Oh God, please let me be fine after meeting her.

When I stepped inside the lobby area, I was greeted by Yuju who was already waiting for me, as if she knew that I’m coming. We went inside the elevator up to the highest floor. Ohh - by the way, it was labelled as KSJ on the floor button, and it’s kinda intimidating actually. Here comes my nervousness back, damn it, and I haven’t seen her yet, good lord.

Arriving in front of her office, Yuju asked me “Are you ready?” to which I replied with my nervous smile before she proceeded to knock the door, waiting for the signal from her boss.

“Come in” And there’s the signal. Short and precise, just like what I expected from her.

Yuju opened the door and walked inside towards her boss who’s currently back-facing us, I nervously followed her from behind, with my eyes glued on the floor.

Right when I stopped in front of her table, she turned around, and our eyes met and my heart suddenly beats to an unknown rhythm. The worst part was, I don’t even know how to make it stop. My heart disowned me. I quickly changed my gaze somewhere else but that still didn’t make me feel any better.

“Thank you Yuna. I’ll take it from here” She sounded serious but she was smiling at the same time. She sounded intimidating but her voice was soft like a music to my ears. And, again why am I even here? I was still standing and fidgety after Yuju left. Imagine being left alone with someone you feared the most, feared for good reasons of course.

“So, how long are you planning on standing there? The chair is there for a reason” She looked at me and asked while her finger pointed at the chair in front of her table. I was sooo damn nervous that I didn’t even realize there was a chair to begin with. Feels like standing so that it’ll be easier for me to run away in case if anything happened but that would be rude of me, right? Plus, if I did that, she might take back her offer, which means, I’m back to being jobless, and not to mention, getting kick out of the house and having to stay with my brother. Nope, not gonna happen, and so I sat as she told me so.

“So, have Yuna brief you about the project that I hired you for?” She was looking at me with that deadly gaze - damn this woman, how can she looked so perfect -  with a file in her hand which I assume it contained the information about the project she’s going to talk about.

“Uh- Emm- No, she hasn’t” I stuttered. Great.

“I’ll explain to you briefly, and the rest of the information are in here, so you can read it later” She continued as she passed me the file.

Basically, she told me that the project that I’ll be in charge of as the photographer was a collaboration between her company (both her modelling agency and her clothing line, that famous KSJ brand everyone wanted to get their hands on) and South Korea Tourism organization. In short, I will have to travel to all parts of South Korea, and our main focus would be to do a photoshoot at the hidden germs of the country that not a lot of people knew off. And I’m perfectly okay with that. Taking photos of scenery has always been my forte, and I can always work around by having models as my subject, it’s not something I always do but I did that before. What I’m not okay with was the fact that she will be coming with us. I’ll be stuck with her for the entire duration of the project, which would take up to almost a month to get done with. My heart isn’t okay. Well, who would be okay? Will you be okay? If you said yes, I beg to differ.

“Say, am I that intimidating Miss Eunbi?” She asked me as soon as she finished explaining the project with her arms crossed. And you asked me whether you’re intimidating? Phew.

“Maybe, a little?” I tried to look at her but immediately removed my gaze when I realized she was looking at me.

“Good, hope it stays that way” I saw the corner of her lips raised a bit “Any questions?”

“Yes, I do- Just- Just one question”

“And what could that be?” She asked as she leaned forward.

“Out of all well-known photographers in South Korea, why me? And how do you come to know about me? I have never been featured in any high-end magazine, and I certainly didn’t expect someone like you would even bothered to browse through the other magazines that weren’t at your level, which I’m always featured in”

“Before I answer your questions, just wanted to remind you, if you told me you’re gonna only asked me one question, you better ask me only one. Because just now, you asked me two”

Great. Can she be any more intimidating than this? Am I really gonna take this offer? I suddenly hate both of my housemates and why do I have such an annoying brother. Geez, cheese niblets.

“Now that I’ve made that clear, let me answer both of your questions. I have my own ways of knowing who you’re, and if you think I didn’t browse through all magazines that existed in South Korea, be it from a well-known production or from an unknown one, you got that wrong. Not all high-end magazines are great, and in this industry, everything is about power, if you have one, you will certainly succeed, no matter whether the contents are good or not.”

She stopped for a brief second, trying to see whether I’m still paying attention to her or not. Duhh, of course I’m paying attention to her, I don’t want to come out dead, not ready to die this young.

“I’ve been at the bottom before, so I knew how good all my colleagues are when I was at their level. The sad thing was I managed to climb up the ladder, but they didn’t. Luck was on my side perhaps and I hope it will be on their sides too one day. And if you think you aren’t good enough, well, I think exactly the opposite. So please let it be that way. Now if you don’t have any other question, heads out to Yuju and she will give you all the schedules, and your works start tomorrow, 7 am sharp”

Not having other questions to ask, I stood up, and not to mention, I was at loss of words when I heard her replied. One more reason to be added to my list of why I admire her so much ever since I knew her.

“I don’t like to disappoint people who trusted me, especially not you. I won’t let you down. I promise” I laid out my hand towards her, hoping that she will grab it in return. She stood up and hold my hand tight, pulling me towards her, as she leaned herself towards me - I swear I’m glad that there’s a table between the both of us, if not –

“Don’t let me down, ever”

Her words put a stop to whatever things I’m imagining right now.

Focus Hwang Eunbi, focus.

 

 

Sowon POV

 

Been looking for her for years and I finally found her. That would be one of my greatest achievements I would say. If not because of her, for the words she said to me two years ago, I won’t be who I am today. But I wonder, if she still remembers, the day it all happened.

Hwa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter