1A. NECESSARY PREP

Throne

"Oh, Jiwoo you care too much about fashion."

"And? I want to look good for the big dinner, everyone's gonna be there." Jiwoo ran her hands down her dress, the itchy lace and jewels grazing her palms. She did a half spin to admire the creme dress which was tailored to flare out at the hips and stop at the knee, making her look like the dolls she owned as a child that she admired so much.

"You look cute as always," Jungeun said, getting her corset tightened by one of the house mothers.

"Thanks, you always look so elegant too." Jungeun had on a raven blue dress with a cape that touched the ground. The lace and beading were similar to Jiwoos, yet both dresses were polar opposites. Jungeun reminisced on how she and Jiwoo used to dress up and play high tea with Chaewon and Hyunjin, sitting in the pink dayroom with finger cakes and iced tea in Jiwoos dresses before everything happened. She can still feel the heat of the summer sun lightly grazing her skin through the window as she sat at the nook nearby, chatting about nonsensical things with her bestest friends. She hoped that she would see Chaewon for the first time in forever at the dinner since they had lots of catching up to do. She also wondered what Hyunjin was up to right now...and if she will ever come back.

"Something on your mind, Lippie?" Jiwoo asked, nudging Jungeun in her arm as she was deep in thought. "Maaaaybe its Pa-"

"No, it's NOT, you IDIOT! I don't care about him!" Jungeun snapped back playfully, causing Jiwoo to laugh and flash her infectious smile. Jungeun thanked the house mother for helping her with her dress with a quick bow then proceeded to slip on her heels.

"I don't know...you got a little red when I said his name."

"Trust me, it's not like that. Men don't dictate my life."

"I knew you'd say that...have you ever been on a date before?" Jiwoo asked as Jungeun was in the mirror fixing her hair clip.

"No, not really."

Jiwoo stared at her with a look of shock, as if going on a date was essential to living. "Someone needs to ask you out. IMMEDIATELY."

"No, I don't want to be wined and dined. You know I said that I won't seek out anyone 'til its nece-"

"Lippie, there's only been ONE woman to ever be king and that was 12 crownings ago. As much as I want you to be king, you'll probably end up a duchess. Maybe Dutchess of Park if you know what I mean..." Jiwoo said, nudging Jungeun on the arm.

"Well, I'm still gonna try my hardest to prove myself."

"You always try your hardest, cousin. That's why I admire you."

 

┈♔◦☓◦☙◦♔◦☙◦☓◦♔┈

 

Yerim's heartbeat grew fast as the Choi family approached King's Grotto. She looked off the side of the mountain they were venturing down by the carriage to the many lights of the small city. You could hear the trumpets and the people buzzing from up here and faintly see the people making their way to the steps of the castle, awaiting the arrival of the families. Her brother Jongho was fast asleep on her shoulders with his fur coat over him as a blanket. She fixed his hair as the wind blew it, being sure not to wake him up.

"You're gonna be a great mom one day, Yerim." their mom said as her and their dad smiled at her.

"Not any time soon," Yerim said laughing.

"Oh, we know that. You've still got this one to take care of," Her mom said, motioning to Jongho.

"Honey, listen." her dad said. She turned from the window of the carriage to look at him. "Your brother is too nice for his own good, you know this. He is older than you but protect him. He will learn someday, but I want you to guide him. I know you love him with your heart, keep him there. This kingdom will eat him up and spit him right out."

"I will, Pa. I always do." Chois were always nice by nature, they were known as the hospitality house. Yerim's dad knew how to balance his kindness, which is how he became Duke of Choi. Their older cousin, San, was just like their dad. Funny and gentle but will show you who's boss in a heartbeat. Yerim never liked to compare them though because Jongho does have strength, he just doesn't flex it all the time. When village boys used to make fun of Yerim's pigtails, Jongho used to rough them up. He was like an angel for her, her own personal Queen's Guard. Knowing him, she knew he was a strong man, her parents just failed to see it.

"Were arriving at the castle, wake your brother up."