Still

Love, Jinyoung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good morning fools." Jackson said, pulling the curtains open letting the sunlight fall straight on the faces of sleeping Mark and Jinyoung. As soon as they felt the warmth hitting their faces, they both started to crinkle their eyes, but there is no sign of either of them waking up anytime soon.

Jackson waited for ten seconds on his watch for the sleepyheads to wake up. Still not seeing any movement from the boys, Jackson greeted once again this time much louder, "Good morning love birds!"

Jinyoung flashed his eyes open, instantly realizing that there is a body clinging to his. He looked over his shoulders and found Mark lying beside him. He sat up and started screaming. This startled Mark, causing him to jump from his place. Jinyoung moved his legs and hands so fast to push Mark off the bed but his forceful push caused him to fall over too and now they are both lying on the floor, butts aching.

"What the hell are you doing on my bed?" Jinyoung shouted at Mark, "And why are you not wearing a shirt?"

"Yes! Why am I on your bed and why are you not wearing a shirt?" Mark shouted back emphasizing on you while pointing at him.

"Why am I not wearing a shirt?” Jackson shouted, standing next to the window putting his hands to cover his chest, acting as if he is hiding his upper body.

"You are wearing your shirt Jackson!" Mark said smiling at Jackson's act.

"Don’t laugh. You did wrong and you have some explaining to do, mister." Jinyoung said just to get ignored by his two friends— Mark his childhood friend and, Jackson his old age friend. As per Jackson’s take on it, since Mark is that friend from the beginning, he will be there ‘til the end. In short Jinyoung's roommate.

"Great imitation of Jinyoung." Mark patted Jackson's back before separating from him to go to the kitchen. The other two followed suit.

"He does that every time he comes here." Jackson said to Jinyoung while marking today’s date on the calendar. "It’s the 24th time, in fact. But… hey! By the way, Jinyoung did not ask the iconic question." Jackson turned around to look for Mark, but saw Jinyoung instead so he gave him a broad smile before the latter opened his mouth to say something.

"I get it, since my back is not aching and I am not feeling any discomfort… nothing happened between us. Happy?" Jinyoung said.

“I am.” Jackson answered smoothly before throwing a teasing glance at him. “But you don’t look like you are, though. Disappointed?”

Just like that, Jinyoung felt like his wig is about to fall off. “YAH! Shut your mouth or I will skin you!” But that only made Jackson laugh out like a crazy hyena.

 

**********

 

Since it was a Saturday, which meant no classes, the three friends decided to get on with their usual routine. And that includes eating out for lunch, watching a movie at the nearby cinema, and ending the day with a nice walk along the trails of Han River.

Jinyoung likes to walk on the beach and enjoy the small waves. He says that it gives pleasure to him. Seeing Jinyoung enjoying himself as a kid gives Mark pleasure too. Back when they were kids, and when they were still in Busan, the two of them go for early morning and late night walks along Haeundae. It is their favorite place to go to, since they could perfectly see the sunrise and the moonrise together.

But since they are now in Seoul, and the nearest beach is three hours away… they would just have to settle with walking along the Han River. They forget all their stress in their lives and studies being at the river bank. Jackson is not up for this idea at first but now he got used to taking pleasure of the evening with his friends.

Jackson and Jinyoung started running and chasing each other playfully, Mark just sat there watching them both, laughing at how stupid Jackson looks. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a guy stumbled upon Jinyoung pushing him into ground along with him. Jinyoung recovered fast and helped the guy to get up. But as soon as the guy got up, there came a bunch of guys and started hitting the guy. Jinyoung, the always-caring-about-somebody-else’s-problem person that he is, didn’t stay out of the matter and decided to jump in, pushing the guys off away from the poor guy.

Seeing the chaos, Jackson and Mark got on their feet and dashed towards them to help Jinyoung out. When Mark got to where Jinyoung is, he saw him covering the poor guy up, defending him from the bullies. It was when he saw how one of the guys raised his fist, one second away from hitting Jinyoung that Mark felt all his adrenaline rushing to his veins. Before he knew it, he already landed a punch on the guy’s face. The guy fell on the ground, so another guy went for Mark but he is faster. Twisting the guy’s arm, Mark kicked his back and pushed him off, throwing deadly stares.

The biggest among the guys shoot him a piercing glare as well. “This does not concern you, punks.”

But Mark didn’t bulge. “You hurt him, I end you.” He said clenching his fists. He heard how Jackson called on him, willing him to stop and just back off but Mark doesn’t give a .

A minute more of throwing death stares at each other, testing and provoking one another, and then the guys were off. “You are lucky for now.” The guys weren’t talking to him, but to that guy who Jinyoung has helped.

It was when Jinyoung held his hands that Mark realized they were shaking. His knuckles were almost turning white, but Jinyoung held it gently, rubbing his thumb along his knuckles. And it is enough to calm him down.

 

“WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT MARK TUAN?”

They were at this restaurant where they will eat dinner and Jackson here is giving zero s about the people around them and is now shouting at him. Mark shrugged, putting another vegetable wrap inside his mouth. He’s hungry.

They just parted ways with the guy, Minhyuk was his name, the guy said. Jinyoung was the one who talked with the guy, asking why those big ugly guys were after him. Mark paid no attention since he also kind of want to get mad at the guy for dragging Jinyoung into his mess.

“What?” he asked mindlessly.

“Don’t use that deadpan voice on me. I am asking you why you suddenly went hulk-like a while ago. We could’ve been dead, you know?!”

“He came to hit Jinyoung.” He said a matter of factly.

“Wasn’t able to.”Jinyoung interjected.

“Because I punched him first.” Mark said irritatedly this time. “Why did you have to act all tough like that huh, Park Jinyoung? Have you forgotten what happened to you the last time you were in a fight?” Mark huffed, breathing heavily as memories of five years ago flashed in his mind. “Have you forgotten how I almost got crazy just because you wouldn’t wake up after being knocked unconscious? How I spent the whole day and night at the hospital by your side until you regain your consciousness? I even missed school because I couldn’t focus without knowing that you’re already okay and well. Have you forgotten that, which is why you decided to act like a hero again and risk your own life just to save some stranger?”

Mark didn’t want to sound like how he did sound after saying all those. It was just… it was all too much for him. He couldn’t imagine having to suffer like that again if ever Jinyoung got hurt earlier. He just can’t.

“Will a simple sorry, cover for what I did?” Jinyoung asked in a small voice. Even Jackson is silent, putting a handful of wrap inside his mouth.

Looking at Jinyoung who has this apologetic smile while playing with his hands, Mark could only heave a deep sigh. “Just promise me that you will stay out of trouble and that you’ll stop making me worry about you.”

As he wrapped Jinyoung in his arms, he felt the younger nodding. “I promise.” He says.

But Mark mentally shook his head as he ruffled Jinyoung’s hair. Who is he kidding? He will never stop worrying about Jinyoung.

 

*********

 

Jinyoung’s hand flew to his chest as he rested his back against the door which he just slammed shut.

What happened? What just happened?

Not so long ago, Jinyoung was just walking Mark out of their dorm room since Jackson said he’d like to rest now for the night, so Mark needs to head to his own dorm room. They walked until they were both outside their dorm. Mark reminded him again of not putting himself in trouble and of course he only needs to agree.

Everything was normal. It was all normal until Mark did that. It is a usual thing, Mark’s hand tucking his stray hair and putting it behind his ear. But what’s not usual is how hard his heart was beating inside his chest as he stared at those brown eyes.

Mark didn’t hear it, right? God, what is happening? Why did he suddenly have thoughts of kissing him? Why-

 

“You alright?” Jackson’s voice startled him and brought him back to his senses. Jinyoung nodded. “You sure? Because you look like you were almost run over by a truck of tomatoes.”

Jackson… why did he never feel anything towards the guy like what he just felt like now with Mark? What is different? Why didn’t his heart pick up its pace whenever Jackson goes lovey dovey with him, calling him Park Gae and such? What is it with Mark? And when did he start noticing it?

“For the second time, are you alright Jinyoung?”

He blinked twice.”H-huh?”

“I think you need to sleep. It’s late and you’re not even conversing with me properly, so okay cool. Let’s just sleep.” Jackson said before going inside his room, leaving him still feeling weak and lost by the door.

You are alright, Park Jinyoung. He repeated to himself like a mantra.

Jackson must be right. All he needs is sleep.

 

**********

 

It is 12 o’clock noon, and the trio is sitting in their usual place in the college canteen having lunch, talking about all worldly things.

"So, you were in our room last night?" Jackson asked taking out his chopsticks to eat. Mark nodded as yes. "How come I didn't know?" Jackson asked gulping Mark's gimbap in his mouth.

"I left before dawn. I have an assignment to finish so." Mark chewing Jackson's pizza, while fighting against the other's chopsticks from stealing his gimbap again.

"Why don’t we shift rooms instead? Since you end up staying at our dorm more rather than your own?" Jackson said pulling back his pizza box so it will be not reachable for Mark.

"That’s not possible, Jackson." Jinyoung answered, although it is clear that Jackson’s question was not intended for him.

With his brows creasing, Jackson gave him a look of confusion. The one which seems to ask why he said those which he just said. “Why is it not possible?” And the Chinese’s tone matches the look on his face.

Jinyoung doesn’t know. How should he answer his friend’s question? Should he talk about how last night played out? Because he remembers everything that happened, clearly. And he doubts he could forget it for the next few days, or the next few weeks, or the next few months… or years perhaps.

Should he talk about how he, after a two weeks of tormenting himself into figuring his feelings, actually did figure out his feelings? Should he talk about how he planned on confessing, as cliché as it sounds but he really did plan on confessing, because for him it will be much better than pretending that he feels nothing when in fact he can’t even get a hold of his own heart every time Mark looks at him although it is the exact same way Mark has always looked at him for years? Should he talk about how his hand was shaking hard, as he folded the piece of paper where he has written every word which he hoped will somehow make Mark understand how in love he is with him?

Should he talk about how fast his heart was beating when Mark held his hand gently, his thumb brushing its top, giving him that warm and fuzzy feeling which was always there, but has failed to give notice to before? “Promise me, nothing will change between us, and that you’ll always stay as my best friend.” Mark talked about his parents, and them planning to get a divorce. It is something which saddened Jinyoung, especially seeing how affected Mark is although the latter tries not to show it. But those words said by Mark just kept ringing in his head.

How Mark said that with utmost sincerity, his voice laced with hope. It surely sounded like Mark would not be asking for more than what he was asking for that night. It sounded like there is nothing more that Mark would want from him, but him staying as his best friend. Mark wants nothing more… so why would he even try to cross the line?

Now Jackson is asking why is it not possible. Should he answer it honestly?

With a small and seemingly couldn’t-care-less shrug, Jinyoung spoke. “Are you suggesting this switching of roommates just because you want to be able to room with Jaebum?” Seeing how Jackson’s eyes have gone huge makes him relieved, for he knows Jackson’s attention is now diverted to something else.

“W-what are you talking about? That is so out of the context.” Jackson’s faltering voice and shaky eyes give him away. Jinyoung could only smirk. His roommate and his crush on Mark’s roommate, Jaebum will never get old for him. He enjoys teasing the Chinese.

"How dare you even think about throwing your old age friend for your two year- long crush, Jackson Wang?”

“YAH PARK JINYOUNG!” Jackson erupted, cheeks flustered. “Alright, no switching of roommates then. I tried but failed, Mark.”

"Don’t make this about me.” Mark said while reaching for the grilled pork. “But if you need to know, he has crush on you. He feels embarrassed being next to you." Mark gave a piece of meat to Jinyoung before he took one for himself.

"Jaebum has crush on me? And you are telling me this only now?!" Jackson raised up his voice at every word in full shock.

"Did I say it? Forget that I ever said something like that. Besides—" Mark was saying something pointing his chopsticks on Jackson, when he got cut off by a new voice.

"Hi guys!" it’s the same guy who got beaten on the banks of Han river weeks before. He is looking like he is totally recovered from the wounds.

"Minhyuk? How come you are here? How are your wounds?" the always-caring-about-somebody-else’s-problem side of Jinyoung woke up again seeing the familiar guy in their canteen. Minhyuk took the spot next to Mark without even asking for permission and started talking to the trio very casually.

"Those guys came to my college and started making fuss there, so I had to transfer from there to here, kind of hiding maybe." he answered to Jinyoung and took an egg roll from his lunch box and gave it to Mark. Mark ate that egg roll in one gulp and impressed by its taste.

"Do you like it?" Minhyuk asked looking at Mark.

"I love it. Eggrolls are my favorite and these taste exactly the same as Jinyoungie's mom." Mark said eyeing on the box of egg rolls that Minhyuk is holding, "Can I have one more?"

"Sure you can have all!" Minhyuk gave the full box to Mark for him to eat. Mark took that happily and started eating it forgetting that there are people around him.

"When was the last time your mom gave him eggrolls?" Jackson murmured in Jinyoung's ears.

"Two days ago." Jinyoung maintained the same tone, taking care that either of the two guys wouldn’t hear it.

"Then why is he eating those as if he didn’t eat any for a whole week?" Jackson asked gaining a look from Jinyoung, just for few seconds.

 

"Jinyoung are you okay?" Jackson asked him when they are out of canteen, leaving the two newly acquainted guys. Jinyoung is already fuming in flames about the scene he saw before.

"I am not okay. I give him my mom's egg rolls every week but he never acted towards me like that. Why is he acting so flirty for just a box of egg rolls." Jinyoung looked like he would burn out anytime.

Jackson, fulfilling his duties as a friend, opened the cap of a water bottle he is holding and gave it to Jinyoung. Jinyoung took the sip and poured the remaining water on his head and left, Jackson's not his. Jackson stood there stunned for a while.

"Did it rain just now?" Jaebum came from behind and asked Jackson. Jackson recognized Jaebum's voice without turning to look, so he ran away from there as fast and far as possible from him.

The saga of egg rolls continued for few more days, giving chance to both Mark and Minhyuk to flirt with each other more, Jinyoung to get jealous and Jackson to be the victim in all this crisis.

 

**********

 

It was one Friday evening when Jinyoung got a call from Mark while he was trying to relax but miserably fails, because a certain Chinese keeps on bugging him, asking do you think Jaebum really likes me and all sorts for the past two hours already.

"Ah thank God Mark. You saved me. What's up?" Jinyoung said still not moving from his couch, with Jackson still talking nonstop.

"I need your help. I’m in deep right now.” Mark said and dropped the call without saying anything. That ought to make Jinyoung stand right up and run right away ignoring questions from Jackson. Jackson ran behind him sensing some alert.

By the time, the boys reached Mark's and Jaebum's dorm, they saw the room filled with clothes, scattered everywhere. Mark was standing in front of the mirror and trying out a shirt, and within seconds he took the shirt off and threw it away in the stack of dresses on his bed.

"What’s going on? Why is there a huge dump of clothes here?" Jinyoung asked not pointing directly to anyone in the room looking to find some spot to move in that mess.

"I am trying to wear one perfect shirt for the evening and I am not able to find one from my stupid collection. Please help me Jinyoungie." Mark asked almost falling on his knees begging Jinyoung.

"Sure. I would need to know what the important matter is first to choose the shirt for you." Jinyoung said taking up shirts on the floor to make some space for them to stand fine at least.

"Minhyuk asked me out for dinner and movie. I am trying to choose a shirt for that." Mark said still trying on the shirts. Jinyoung got stunned by the news, Jackson burst out to laugh.

"You were doing very well before in our room, with my stupid questions." Jackson said out loud still laughing. That got Mark's attention to look at the boys observing something of his interest on Jinyoung.

He pointed out to Jinyoung asking, "How long have you been wearing that shirt?"

"An hour now. Why?" Jinyoung still did not move from his spot or did he threw the shirt he is holding, he still did not recover from the shock or did he know how to react.

"Jinyoung give me that shirt." Mark ran to Jinyoung, pulled the shirt in his hand and tried to take of the shirt the younger is wearing. Jinyoung refused to give that shirt and pushed back Mark.

"What are you doing? Leave me alone." Jinyoung avoided Mark and tried to run away only to get caught by Jaebum. Jaebum helped Mark to pull Jinyoung's t-shirt out. Mark threw one of the shirt he just threw on the floor, to Jinyoung's face, before he wore Jinyoung’s shirt. He checked himself in the mirror top to toe. For the first time that evening, he got impressed by the shirt he is wearing, "Yup. The perfect shirt for the perfect evening." he turned around and asked the rest of the boys, "How do you think?"

All three nodded agreeing he is looking fine. Jinyoung forgot about his annoyance and angry on Mark but lost in the charm and looks of Mark in his patterned dress shirt.

"Thank you Jinyoungie. I will pay you good for this." Mark hugged Jinyoung before he left for his date.

Jinyoung frowned seeing Mark getting off for his date with Minhyuk. Sure, he wishes that Mark rather date him instead of Minhyuk, or any other guy as of that matter but… he doesn’t need to let anyone know.

 

"Why does your shirt look perfect on Mark?" Jackson asked Jinyoung who just finished wearing the shirt Mark lent him.

"Because that shirt was bought thinking about Mark." Jinyoung said as he started walking towards the door. Jackson tagged along without saying a word.

When they were both out, Jinyoung turned towards the Chinese and told him to go ahead. “I remember I need to buy something. Don’t lock the door for me, okay?” He said, leaving the guy before he could start firing questions at him.

For this night, he doesn’t need Jackson’s insistent asking of questions, which he’s sure his roommate would probably do, especially after seeing how Jackson stared at him when Mark left a while ago. He isn’t ready for those questions. And he certainly doesn’t want to give any kind of answer.

 

**********

 

Jinyoung opened the zipper of his satchel bag to fish his keys out. He inserted his key and twisted the knob open, struggling with one hand. Why did he even bought too much groceries when it’s only him and Jackson living in their apartment?

When he got in, he took off his shoes and wore his slippers, only seeing a bunch of mails by the door mat. He put the bag of groceries on top of a nearby table before picking up the mails.

Same old, same old. Since it’s the end of the month already, he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter