1

Ready To Run
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I am sorry for your loss, Sarang."

Sarang sighed at the old man's words, nodding as she let the warmth of the coffee seep into the skin of her palms. Her gaze remained on her lap, face hidden behind a grey cloud. It was almost a week now. One week had taken forever to pass.

"I understand what you're going through," he continued, "Your parents' were good people. Great friends, I will say." Sarang looked up, slowly, feeling that numbness return to her heart. She felt nothing. It was as if she had never felt anything at all. Her parents had been her everything, the ones that she lived for. She wanted to make them proud, no matter how. That was her life's goal. But they were gone now, taking her only aspiration along with them.

"You need a place to stay, don't you?" She had never thought she'd have to beg people for a place to stay, not when her father owned hundred acres of lands that all now rightfully belonged to her. However, with the help of some evil scheming, her Uncles had taken over everything that belonged to her parents.

She was never required to work to earn money. Sarang only had her university to worry about but now, even her education was slipping out her hands because of her financial crisis. She was entirely penniless. She owned nothing.

But the old man, Lawyer Kim, had decided to help her gain her things back. He had wanted nothing in return, saying that was because her parents were friends with him. But Sarang knew better, everything came without a price. "What do you want in return? I don't have money," She said, flatly.

"I'll never ask for your money," he replied. "I have an offer to make."

Sarang blankly looked him, "What is it?"

"I have a nephew," he started, cautiously, "Oh Sehun, you might've heard about him."

Sarang chewed on her lips, thinking. Where was he actually getting? Nevertheless, she had heard about Oh Sehun; not ever gone into depths but did see the name on magazines and newspapers. "He's your nephew?"

"He is,"he said, leaning towards her, as if what he was going to say was very confidential. "His mother is my older sister. He hasn't married yet. We're still looking for suitors."

"You're asking me to get married to him in exchange?" Sarang's voice was dull, lifeless, "Why would he want to marry me? I own nothing now."

"He has two daughters."

"You did say he is unmarried," Sarang arched her brows, "Now what does that mean? What kind of a man does that make him?"

"Well, he used to be reckless when he was younger but now he's all grown up. He's very sensible now. How do you think he runs a company then?" he sighed, "Meet him once. I'll arrange a date. That is the payment for my job, Sarang."

 

Oh Sehun was a rather strange man. Sarang sat there, looking at him as he made phone calls, check emails, reply to messages, act as if she wasn't there at all. Her shoulders slumped, never had she been given such a cold response from a male.

She wondered how to start, where to start. She really needed a roof above her head, her savings were running out faster than she could imagine. Sarang needed someone to take over her university fees or give her a job by which she could earn as much. Tired, she let it go. If he didn't want to talk, she wouldn't either. Sarang wanted to see how long he could go on.

The fact that she was to marry such a man to pave her future sounded almost alien to her. She would rather make her own money, she thought. "Excuse me," Sarang spoke up, her voice dripping with boredom. He glanced up from the device he held in his hand, his eyes shortly settling on her face. "You know, I could do my homework now if you're not going to talk."

"There's nothing much to talk about," his voice was rather easy to hear, it was deep and it stood out in the chaos of the little cafe. "You have questions, you can shoot."

Sarang arched her brows, wondering what was this man made of? He had a heart? Or was it replaced with a stone? It was as if she was taking her physics class—You have questions, you can shoot.

"Why do you want to get married?" Sarang asked nonetheless.

He squinted his eyes at something on his phone's screen. Sarang wondered if he had even heard her. "I need someone to take care of the girls. I'm not always home. Mom doesn't trust babysitters." He said all of that looking down at his phone. Sarang felt so small and so very unwanted.

"So anyone would work?" Sarang asked again with a slight arch of her brows. He nodded, his face void of any expression. No wonder he had agreed on marrying her. "So let me make this clear, Mr. Oh," she gathered her stern voice. The sourness in wasn't yet gone. She could bet her eyes were still puffy. That is what happens when you cry every night.

To her utter surprise, he locked his phone, keeping it away before looking straight at her. Sarang held his gaze in her hazel orbs. "I'm only to take care of your daughters. Nothing less, nothing more. Once I get my house back, I'll leave."

He shrugged, "Whatever floats your boat. I just want my kids to be looked after." Sarang couldn't't help but smile a little. She had never thought the deal would be so easy.

"Could you tell me about your daughters?" Sarang thought it was only natural to ask but he raised a brow at her and she began to think what she had said wrong. "I mean, unless you've forgotten their names..."

She found a little smile on his face, had to blink twice to make sure he was actually smiling. "Minhye is twelve," he rubbed the screen of his phone with his pointer. "Minji three." He paused. That's it? Sarang thought. But then he spoke up again, "Minhye is a little ill-tempered. She might not accept you. It really is up to you to make them understand that you'd be staying with them."

Sarang nodded, slowly, wondering what had she just gotten herself into. She was good with kids but Minhye didn't sound much like a kid. Ill-tempered never went with a kid. "What are they going to call me?"

"I did say it's up to you," He answered instantly, looking everywhere but at her. Sarang felt uncomfortable, trying to sink into the chair or disappear in the background. "I don't really care." His blank eyes stopped at her, an amused smile on his face. Sarang gulped, a little nervous with the stare. "Are we done here?"

He was strange man indeed. Sarang didn't mean to pry but she had so many questions for him. How did the two daughters even happen?

 

"Only in this for university fees?"

Sarang nodded, looking at the numbers in the screen above her head, the way it gradually increased as they went higher."Do you think they'll like me?" She asked, looking for any fault in her outfit, or hair, or the little makeup on her face. She looked kid-friendly. Sarang could only hope they would like her.

He shrugged, eyes still stuck in his phone's screen. Sarang sighed with her eyes closed, "What if they don't like me?"

"Guess we're not getting married then." He was way too blunt, Sarang pointed.

When they reached the floor of his penthouse, Sarang followed his long strides. He didn't even look back to see if she was following him. Sarang had half a mind to go back down and escape because something didn't seem to fit. Something was bound to go wrong. She wondered if it will be one of his daughters; or maybe both.

"Minhye, let go of that phone now!" She heard as she remained hidden behind him, while he unlocked the huge mahogany door. Like father, like daughter; she wanted to point that out to him but remained silent. "Minji--"

"Mom," He entered and it was as if the house held its breath to welcome him. Sarang peeked inside, still hiding behind his broad back. "Come in," he mumbled to her, stepping into the hall. Sarang took a step in, gulping at the bright chandelier that hung on the ceiling, catching her eyes as it shone in its own light. It wasn't her first time seeing one but seeing one after so long felt different.

She darted her eyes to the lady inside the living room, fear written in her eyes as she instantly wanted to run out and leave. Sarang tightly held the strap of her purse, struggling to stand straight in front of the lady even though her expression was a friendly one. "You brought her," Sarang heard from his mother, "Finally. Come in, dear."

Sarang blinked, wondering what to do. Finally, she decided on stepping in a bit further. She looked at Sehun who didn't seem to notice her discomfort as he stood with his arms folded, leaning against the wall. To her surprise, his daughter's didn't really greet him. He didn't bother looking at them either.

"Um, Hi," Sarang darted her gaze at the little girl standing right by the lady, holding onto her Grandma's skirt with a confused look on her face. Sarang smiled at her, "I'm Sarang."

"Sarang," she repeated after her. Her jutted lips turned to a smile, a little one, nonetheless a smile. Sarang sighed, inaudibly. The little ponytails hung by her head, like coconut trees on either side. Chubby cheeks and a little nose, bright eyes with eyelashes longer than Sarang could imagine; Minji was very beautiful, even though only three. "Sarang," she pointed at her. Sarang smiled, looking at her little finger, "Minji," she then pointed at herself. Sarang chuckled. Cute.

The older lady seemed to have enjoyed the little act too. She patted Minji's head, "Not Sarang, princess. This is your new Mommy."

Sarang stiffened, a little uncomfortable now. Twenty wasn't really an age to get married or even be labeled as mother. Fate just had it's way of playing with her.

"Minhye!"

She flinched at the loud voice, turning around to see it was Sehun who was searching for his older daughter. Minji stepped closer to Sarang, making Sarang smile and ruffle her silky bangs. "Minji, you're so beautiful," Sarang pointed. brushing a little strand of her hair from her eyes. "Want to be friends?" She leaned to face her. Minji looked up at her, confusion in her eyes.

Sarang blinked, did she something wrong? "Flend?" She couldn't't pronounce properly, Sarang smiled at the overwhelming cuteness. Minji and her father were totally stark opposites. "Mommy?"

"Mommy?" Sarang repeated. She still needed time to get used to the reality, the choice she had made. If Minji right away wanted to call her so, she wouldn't object but Sarang still needed time.

Minji nodded, her pointer hitting Sarang's chest, "Mommy."

"What Mommy?" Sarang heard a new voice. A very uninterested one. Standing up straight, Sarang's eyes fell on another girl, Sehun's first daughter, she assumed. Arms folded, she kept her judging eyes on Sarang. Sarang felt as if she was in a job interview, the way she was being eyed from head to toe. "Whom are we calling Mommy again?"

Ill-tempered, yes.

"Hee!" Minji exclaimed, suddenly clasping Sarang's hand with her little fingers, "Mommy!" she smiled at her sister who scoffed as a response.

"Minhye, you are to behave," Sarang heard the father. Minhye was just as beautiful; Sarang could only imagine how much more beautiful she would look once she grew into the gorgeous features she owned. From the milky skin to the silky thick hair. Sarang almost felt like a sack of potato in front of the two sisters.

Minhye shot her father a glare, she was ree too. "If you expect me to call this girl my Mom, then you're very wrong, Dad," she shouted, turning to her father. Her Grandma tried to stop her as Sarang watched with wide eyes. Minji shifted closer to her leg, hiding behind her as if afraid.

"She is not my mother!" Even though twelve, she spoke like an eighteen year old rebel. "No matter whom you bring home, if it's not Teacher Bae then I'm not calling anyone Mom."

Teacher Bae?

Sehun's angry face was just as any other face that he went around with. Angry, yet calm. "Minhye, learn to appreciate what you have. Don't ask for things you can never have."

"Dad, this is illogical," Minhye went on. Suddenly, her gaze shifted to Sarang, who flinched right away, "I don't need her to be my Mom. She doesn't know you, you don't love her, Dad--"

"I brought you a mother. Be good to her." Sehun cut, still calm.

"You can do whatever the hell you want!" Minhye turned her back to her father and the rest of them. "I don't want to be a part of it!"

Off she went, running towards her room before locking herself in. Sarang's eyes stayed widened, she wondered what to do. Minhye didn't like her. Did that mean--

"Don't worry. We're still getting married." It was as if he had read her mind. Sarang turned to look at him with wide eyes. He gave her a look before shrugging, "Minji seems to like you. That will be enough."

 

"I'll be leaving then."

Sarang bit her lips, not knowing how to stop her from leaving. "You...have to?" She asked, fumbling with the hem of her shirt. His mother nodded with an apologetic smile. She knew, his mother knew. Sarang's puffy red eyes gave away what she had been doing all the while, locked inside the room she was to stay in from now on.

"Don't worry," Sehun's mother patted her arm, "I'll come back tomorrow. We'll make breakfast together."

Sarang managed a little smile for her mother-in-law, gulping when the heavy door closed behind her. Sarang felt lost, as if all her directions had vanished. It had taken two of her signatures, and two of his. That was it; that was her oh-so-lovely wedding in the lawyer's office.

Sarang had no idea where he was; if he were at home or somewhere out. Ignorant would an understatement if she were to describe him in one word. Oh Sehun simply didn't care. He had brought home a babysitter, someone to care for his daughters that he himself didn't care about. She felt so sorry for Minji, for Minhye. They didn't deserve such an insensitive father. The ring that sat on her fourth finger was worthless, just a little show, something that would earn her the title of mother.

Where her world was collapsing right before her eyes, she was to love the two daughters of his, take care of them, make sure they eat, bath, sleep well. Her parents had taken a precious part of her along with them, and yet she was expected to love. How was it even fair?

"Mommy," a little hand reached out for her. Sarang looked sideways from where she was sitting. "Mommy," Minji reached her with stumbling steps. Sarang smiled at her clumsy ways, raising an arm to ruffle her hair. "Why cry, Mommy?"

That was when she realized she was indeed crying. Sarang dumbfoundedly stared at the way Minji wiped below her eyes, the chubby little fingers gentle on her skin. "No cry, Mommy." Such a pure soul she was, Sarang hugged her little body to herself and she gladly obliged. "Hungry Mommy?"

"Hmm?" Sarang couldn't't catch her words. "You're hungry?"

Minji shook her head, the silky strands of her hair going back and forth side by side. Sarang smiled at it. "Hungry?" she asked, pointing a finger at her new mother.

"Oh, me?" Sarang pointed at herself. Minji nodded with a grin. "No, I'm fine."

"Why cry?" She asked again, very adamant about knowing.

"Nothing much," Sarang mumbled. "I miss my Mommy and Daddy."

"Where?" Minji asked. Sarang noticed a little tooth missing in the whole set of her teeth. She chuckled at it. "Where your Mommy and Daddy?" Minji asked, slowly, constructing the sentence in her head first.

"Oh," Sarang realized she was asking about her parents, "Come here, I'll show you," Sarang pulled Minji more into her arms, pointing out through the glass window. "There," Sarang pointed at the stars. The blue haze of day had lifted to reveal the stars. Stars shone as sugar spilt over black marble, glistening in the moon. The night sky was such a welcome sight, appearing like magic at each sunset, promising to return as she faded in dawn's first light. There were times in the daytime, under skies of blue, Sarang would think of those faraway stars and how they'd return after the shadows blended into the dark.

"There?" Minji pointed after her, "Stars."

"Right. Stars," Sarang sighed, "They live there."

"My Mommy," Minji grinned at her before wrapping her chubby arms around her neck and pulling Sarang's head to her little chest, "My Mommy here." Sarang chuckled, pulling her on her lap. Minji huddled in her arms, her face pressed to Sarang chest, legs spread as she closed her eyes. "Sleep now," Sarang patted her back, care

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter