Fireflies

B.A.P Drabbles

Daehyun walks briskly a step ahead of you, but your hand in his links you together and keeps you close. He carefully picks a path over bulging roots and sleeping ferns, glancing back every so often to make sure you are alright and to flash a bright smile.

The forest is darkening rapidly with the setting sun, but you refuse to turn on the flashlight held tightly in your hand; you do not want to miss a single second of the show. 

Daehyun slows and waits for you to step in stride with him. His lips turn into an elated grin, “We’re here.”

With one final step the forest gives way to an open meadow. You hold your breath in anticipation.

“There,” Daehyun whispers. You follow the smudged outline of his arm to the spot he points to, searching eagerly for the light. 

A single, flickering light floats in the air. You wait patiently for the others to appear and are relieved when you do not have to wait long. Slowly, more lights join the first and multiply until thousands fill the space above the meadow. The border between the celestial stars in the night sky and the softly glowing ones on earth blur; an illusion of the stars stretching down to spend the night in the lower atmosphere. 

Daehyun slips his arm around your waist and carefully spins you in a circle to catch every angle of the fireflies. Tonight, you will stay together in your own galaxy.