Little Treasures

Derp: Winter Hearth Drabble Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy gets to meet her long lost parents for the first time.

 

 

Wendy watched as the old man - her father - struggled with taking a worn shoe box out from a closet that seemed to be shared by him and his wife. The closet was filled to the point of overflowing, but there was a system to it, a system Wendy could not quite figure out but the man understood thoroughly.

He beamed as he almost shoved the shoe box in Wendy's hand, his excitement was barely contained.

"Look! It's... It's not much but I just want you to know that appa," he cleared his throat awkwardly, "that me, and your mom tried our best. We really did, I promise. We don't have much but we have two treasures in this world, that's what we always say."

Wendy gulped and shifted her look from the grinning man with some missing teeth. He looked like a hard worker, and Wendy would not doubt it if anyone told her that. She opened the shoe box and saw scattered red packets in them and she gasped loudly, to which her father responded to hurriedly.

"It's your 20-year worth of lunar new year money. I mean, it's not much but we set aside for you as much as we gave to Miyoung every year. We don't want to treat our daughters differently from each other... Our treasures..." He trailed off her words hesitantly and his face contorted in pain.

He was thinking on the day he had to abandon one daughter and raised another again, Wendy realized so she held the shoe box in one hand and leaned forward to hug her birth father and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Thanks dad, I appreciate this." Her voice came out in hoarse whisper but when her father returned her hug, she dwelled on the feeling of being loved more than she could ever imagined.

 

*


"I think she likes me, do you think so Joohyun?" Irene stared at Miyoung, Wendy's sister who seemed equal part nervous, equal part excited. She had been trying her best to interact with the overwhelmed Wendy throughout their visit and her longing to be close to her little sister was apparent in her littlest actions.

Irene thought of last night when Wendy giggled as she recounted Miyoung's goofy stories of growing in Korea as a young girl and she talked about her time in Canada in return. Her girlfriend had appeared so comfortable and happy and Irene wished she could convey the feelings she got from Wendy to the girl in front of her who was questioning herself.

Instead, she did the best thing she could.

"She told me she would like to bring you around when you visit her in Canada one day; she wants to show you the place grew up in."

Irene thought she saw l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter