o n e

love scenario
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My eyes flutter open when the train decreases its speed before it comes to a complete stop. I am finally in Seoul, the thought crosses my mind. I get up from my seat, pick up my luggage and backpack from the space above my head, throw the backpack on my shoulders before pulling the luggage behind me. I get off the train and walk amongst the big, busy crowd. I trail along the railings as I scan the people, trying to look for my host family.

“Am I too early?” I mumble to myself though I know I would not get the answer to that question. Looking at the watch around my wrist, I decide to take a seat first. I ponder whether to call the host or just wait here until they magically appear. Deciding to just wait, I look around in curiosity. So, this is Seoul.

Judging from the crowd, I can deduce that Seoul is really a busy city. I have not been to Seoul before since I had spent all my life in Busan, and finally at the age of 19, I finally get to venture out. I am grateful that I am accepted to Seoul National University after high school, and though my results are good enough to major in medicine or biochemistry, I decided to major in Literature. I also applied to some universities abroad, but I guess luck was not on my side. I wonder if I would do well here. I hope I would.

“Hayi, right?”

A voice calling out my name startles me. I look up, and a smile slowly creeps upon my lips.

“Mrs. Kim?”

 

 

“So, this is your room,” Mrs. Kim says as she opens the door to a room. I step inside behind her and looks around. The room is cosy, just like the house, and I couldn’t help smiling in delight. I place my luggage to the side before putting the backpack on the bed. “My room is downstairs and Hanbin’s beside yours. Rest first, alright? I’ll call you when it’s dinner time.”

I nod while smiling gratefully to her. “Thank you, Mrs. Kim.”

“Oh, and Hayi,” she calls out before pulls me into a hug, which surprises me. “Please, make yourself at home. And while you are here, we are your family, alright?”

I return the hug as I feel the tears start to pool in my eyes. I miss my mom.

 

 

“Say, Hayi,” Mr. Kim begins. “How old are you?”

It is finally dinnertime and I am sitting rather awkwardly at the dining table with the family. At that question, all eyes start to shift and focus on me, which makes me wish I could disappear right then and there.

“I’m 19, sir,” I respond.

The man laughs easily listening to my answer. “Oh, please, drop the formality. Just call me Uncle. You’re going to stay here for a while and I believe you’re not going to be all formal around me all the time, am I right?” he shakes his head afterwards, still amused. “Which university will you be going again?”

“Seoul National University,” I answer. “I’m doing Literature

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter