Chapter 1

It's the simple things we mess up
Please log in to read the full chapter

Compared to their usual heists, this was supposed to be simple. Easy. A piece of cake. In fact, it was so simple that Jinwoo and Myungjun have ed off somewhere (Bin’s words, not Dongmin’s) and Sanha isn’t even in the same country, because of course he can hack into their system and access remotely, duh (again, not Dongmin’s words).

The thing is, it was really supposed to be simple. A little distraction provided by Dongmin and Bin, while Minhyuk sneaks in the back to steal information from their marks. Except, of course, it doesn’t go so easily because on the day before they were supposed to meet their marks, Bin goes into rut.

 

❅❅❅

 

“Are you sure this would work?”

Dongmin is nervous. He never likes changing plans at the last minute, and he likes it even less when it’s not Jinwoo who has re-orchestrated their plan, but Sanha and Bin. Dongmin is a skilled grifter though, so he doesn’t let it show. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on who you ask, his team has worked with him long enough to figure out his tells.

“Excuse me, are you doubting my planning skills?”

It’s Sanha through their comms, munching sounds a constant in the background.

“I don’t doubt your planning,” Dongmin starts, only to get interrupted.

“So it’s me you don’t have faith in.”

Bin’s voice is more cracked than usual, although, given the fact that he’s currently suffering through rut, isn’t completely unexpected. He sounds like he might be pouting though, which is definitely not the usual behavior for their thief/hitter. Dongmin is very tempted to pinch his nose bridge in frustration – or as an outward tell of frustration, because according to Bin he doesn’t emote intuitively but act like he can emote, whatever that means – but Minhyuk beats him to it.

“Forgive us for not having faith in your planning, our dear hacker and thief, when it’s usually Jinwoo doing our planning. Jinwoo who, I might add, currently has no clue that we have changed the plan at the last minute.”

Dongmin doesn’t have to turn to know Minhyuk is rolling his eyes. The comms die down after that, because what Minhyuk said is true and also, more importantly because Minhyuk and Dongmin are nearing their destination. The thing is, while the reason Minhyuk gave is true, the real reason why Dongmin is so nervous about this is because the revised plan involves Minhyuk grifting. More specifically, the revised plan involves Minhyuk, their hitter, their average height but more than sufficiently sturdy “I can disarm twenty bad guys with just my fists, who needs an alpha?” Minhyuk pretending to be a meek omega.

Like, yes, sure, Minhyuk is actually an omega, smells like one even when he’s on suppressants (according to Bin anyway), and it’s always good to have as little lies as possible on the job for everything to run smoothly. Makes it easier for the con to work. And yeah, sure, Dongmin is just a beta but he would have thought he would be a better choice for meek omega, considering that he’s actually a professional grifter and all. (His pretty face helps too, he knows, but that’s neither here nor there when he knows he’s much taller than Minhyuk). The thing is, if Dongmin went as meek omega, then Minhyuk would have to pretend to be an alpha, and it’s easier to douse just Dongmin in alpha pheromones than have to douse bothDongmin in omega pheromones and Minhyuk in alpha ones to make their original plan work. Besides, Bin says anyone with a decent enough nose would be able to tell that Minhyuk smells weird, fake alpha pheromones never strong enough to hide his natural omega scent. So in the end, Dongmin gives in, drenches himself in alpha pheromones – Bin’s because they can’t get store-bought ones last minute – and plays alpha to Minhyuk’s omega. He had agreed to this, hadn’t found a better way to do this after Bin’s sudden rut put a damper on their plans, but still.

Dongmin is only going to be walking into a mafia’s lair pretending to be husbands with Minhyuk, the furthest thing from a meek omega, while hoping their revised plan works. A lot of it depends on Minhyuk fooling their marks, and Dongmin hasn’t seen Minhyuk grift before, ever, so yeah, sue him if he’s nervous; he has eve

Please log in to read the full chapter